Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Thoughts on my Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 04:17 AM
DUCTTAPE
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been about 3 weeks and 1000 miles since I installed my Magnaflow, and I thought I'd share some initial thoughts.

If I had to generalize, I'd say it is a winner. What initially drew me towards the concept of changing exhaust systems was the sound produced by an aftermarket exhaust. Bhp was secondary.

It was difficult finding one of each of the choices in real life. I pretty much settled for the wav files I found on the net. Fortunately, I was able to confirm my final choice in real life as I met Borla and Magnaflow cars for a MINI drive. GMINI even let me take his Magnaflow for a short ride, which was excellent.

My main concern on hearng the wav files was the raspy sound out of the several choices available. None really sound like a Viper... Several reminded me of a hamsters wheel spinning really fast. Face it, MINI isn't exactly a muscle car, and I really wanted to avoid a whine. Magnaflow has a bit of a rasp at high revs, but it isn't noticable (to me) while driving.

I think the unit succedes in producing a nice, deep rev. I especially enjoy it in tunnels, enclosed road ways and other places where the sound reverberates off surfaces back into the cab.

And, interestingly, I think the sound is louder with the windows UP. Good thing I spend almost all winter driving with gloves and a hat and the windows lowered.

As an added bonus, there IS added Bhp. I find I am frequently shifting much, much closer to red line then before. Push in the gas and the engine punches. I don't know if the added Bhp is because the engine is working better, or because the engine seems less stressed as I push it, but I do tend to rev higher. Any port in a storm in my book. Less scientific, but more satisfying.

I was going to install this myself. As I was at a dealer for something else, I asked if he could throw me a price that would make me consider otherwise. He thought for about 10 seconds and said $45, about a half an hour of labor involved. SOLD. With hindsight, the best damned $45 I ever spent. It took 3 techs 45 minutes to do the install. I see me spending all day Sunday...

In short, even considering the price and the install, and my wife's occassional "Is it me or is your car getting louder" looks, this is an upgrade I am glad I made.

David

Old 07-31-2003, 04:21 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Hey Dave,

When we met...didn't you show me the earplugs that you use while driving in your MCS w/ your magnaflow :smile:?????

Peace,
D

Old 07-31-2003, 08:55 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the noise being SO subjective, and since Dennis is SO outspoken on his view (I love you bud!), this may be a good thread to get some opinions on just how loud you think it is.

I'd like to hear from those of you have have it, as well as those who have just heard it, and what your subjective thoughts are on the sound.

I think it is louder than most, not as loud as some, and not too loud for a performance system. It's not for everyone.

Randy

Old 07-31-2003, 09:00 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
ROFL...ROFL
me outspoken...ROFL

surely you jest :smile:

Peace,
D

Old 07-31-2003, 09:10 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As I have said in the past, I found the Magnaflow to produce a nice tone, not too loud at all. Any resonance experienced on long highway drives can be minimized with venting the sunroof. My only complaint is lack of power, before and after tests just didn't live up to the hype. I'll be trying some other exhausts in search of more power and will be selling my Magnaflow when I find another one I like better.

Old 07-31-2003, 09:28 AM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the Magnaflow for about 7months, and simply put...it kicks.

Also it seems to sound different under different weather conditions, as it was installed in Jan. here in WI. (louder in dry cold air compared to moist hot air) who know, but I love it.

In terms of power, it seems as though it added something, but the dyno result of my S and a friends with stock exhaust were different.

Anyone in SE WI who wants to hear it first hand give me a shout.

His, Chile RED all over, Magnaflow exhaust, Madness Intake, Helix Pulley, and RDR rear Swaybar.
Hers, EB UJ on top and bone stock.

Old 07-31-2003, 09:49 AM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Being subjective I think a few people out there are going to absolutely hate the Magnaflow. That said, I've had mine almost 5 months now and couldn't be happier with it. It's got a good low pitch to it so, even when reaching to the higher revs and it really starts talking to you, it's nothing like a lot of the ricer exhausts sound. I've been on 2 long distance trips with it (600 and 1600 miles). On the road at 70 to 75 it's there, but not what I would call loud, as it's easily masked by the stereo at medium volume. Conversation with a person in the passenger seat is not hampered at all.

As for the performance side of it, I don't have any actual hp figures. I do know that, when used with a good aftermarket intake, there's a noticeable difference in the motor's performance. It revs much easier and gets to redline quicker than it did with the stock equipment on the car.

I've heard three other aftermarket exhausts, including the JCW, and wouldn't trade the Magnaflow for any of them. I will admit, volume wise, that it's probably at the upper limit that I would like for a road car, but it doesn't cross the line of being "too loud".

Old 07-31-2003, 10:27 AM
SteelKite
2nd Gear
Hey there,

I am definatley pleased with my 'flow.
Stock is cool too, but I actually LOVE the sound that the 'flow gives.
More HP? don't know if it's there, but sounds great :smile:
By the way, I just took delivery of those vent/intake scoops .....
Yikers, they sure look horrible when you unwrap them.
They need sanding and filling before you can even finnish them
and install them. Very "nasty" indeed.
Dennis ... did you "flash" yet?
How goes it??
Let me drive that beast.

Brad

Old 07-31-2003, 10:54 AM
LifeIsGood
2nd Gear
I heard "The Flow" for the first time at the Atlanta pulley party, from inside the car and outside. Definitely dit NOT think it was too loud.

It all depends on what you are used to. There were a few of us there that have or have had track cars and we all seemed to agree that it was not too loud. It also depends on how you want to use the car.

In the end, I think this topic alone has shown the diversity amonst MINI owners. (That's good) :smile:

Old 07-31-2003, 12:25 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
The Magnaflow is probably the most controversial topic in the Perf. Mod. Forum. At the SF Bay Area pulley party, I was surprised how nice the sound was from cars that were there, and I thought that this would be a "no brainer" for my next mod.. Of course, Randy did finally get the "vaporware" UUC system, so it will be interesting to get his evaluation. The NRP is also getting good reviews, but it doesn't appear to get the power gains that the Magnaflow gives. I have two questions for Randy on this subject:

1) What was the power gains for the dyno'd cars at the SF Bay Area pulley party for cars with intake/pulley/ECU/Magnaflow that were there? I have the Madness Intake/pulley/ECU, and with a hot motor in rather hot test conditions, I was getting 178HP and 152 to 157 torque. Could I expect another 10hp with the Magnaflow?

2) There have been several comments that the EVOTECH ECU was mapped specifically to the pulley and Magnaflow. I know there is a different EVOTECH program for the pulley vs. non-pullied MCS, but for the Magnaflow (or catback) as well?

Thanks again Randy for all your tech support and the pulley install. You are a class act and you have my business!

Old 07-31-2003, 02:47 PM
DUCTTAPE
3rd Gear
>>Hey Dave,
>>
>>When we met...didn't you show me the earplugs that you use while driving in your MCS w/ your magnaflow :smile:?????

Hi Dennis,

Yes, I did, but I was so much older then, I'm younger then that now...

I got the plugs because there was a definate 'roar' the first few days. In fact, those first few days I was half wondering how much it would cost to put back the oem exhaust. It did seem louder than John's, and I couldn't believe the world would drive around with such a noise.

And this is me, who HATES noise. I won't go to Starbucks often because they rumble something or other everytime they make a cup of coffee.

I do think the exhaust mellows eventually, as well I think I am getting used to it.

I have a trip to Atlanta coming up in September. The rest of the family is flying, but that is because they don't have MINIs. I am driving with my 16 year old Josh. This should be the acid test.

Again, having lived with it, I like it alot.

What ever happened to buying a car, driving it, selling it and buying another. Ah, I'm younger then that now.
d

Old 07-31-2003, 04:45 PM
rfibanez
Banned
I've heard the flow on a few MCS's and I think it sounds awesome! Not too loud at all, it has really nice growl. And I even like the tips.

Old 07-31-2003, 04:48 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Heya Dave :smile:

>>What ever happened to buying a car, driving it, selling it and buying another>>
Now we buy cars....then make them into super-econo cars....drive em like we stole em...maybe one day try to sell em ..and realize ...we'll never get any of the money back....lol....all the time smiling from ear to ear :smile:

I'm glad the flow works for u.... :smile:
I'm in Borla land... and it works 4me

Peace,
D

Old 07-31-2003, 06:07 PM
SUPRCHRGDMINI
3rd Gear
If the sound of the magnaflow is to loud you are to old. LOL. Yes 13sec mini i am talking to you.

Old 07-31-2003, 07:38 PM
AnnJones
3rd Gear
>>If the sound of the magnaflow is to loud you are to old. LOL. Yes 13sec mini i am talking to you.

I think the frequencies of your hearing loss has a lot to do with your ability to cope with the sound. Mine is tolerable only after modification.

The only frequencies I can still hear are the lower ones. On the bright side, crickets, birds, or crying babies, can't keep me awake.... OK, the crying baby I would sit up with.

Ann

Old 07-31-2003, 08:20 PM
smcfamily
2nd Gear
I picked up the Magnaflow from Randy. It was my first mod on my mini, and I did quite a bit of research on this site and others trying to decide which exhaust to get. I can't compare to others, but I can say without question that I am very pleased with the Magnaflow. I installed it myself in about an hour (using jack stands), and the sound is loud but good at WOT, and mellow at cruising speed.

Since then, I've added the Alta intake, and now I have the supercharger whine and can hear the throtlebody - and I think the sound is even better. The exhaust does seem to have mellowed some, and the combination with the intake is great.

As for power, I haven't had it dyno'ed, but there is a noticable increase in power after the exhaust, and another increase with the intake. Now - if I could just find a pully party somewhere close to Mini-apolis, I'd get the pully and ecu. Maybe a road trip to Denver is in my future!!!!

What a great car!!!

S

Old 08-03-2003, 11:33 AM
jaime
1st Gear
>>It took 3 techs 45 minutes to do the install. I see me spending all day Sunday...

Wow. It took my boyfriend and I 45 minutes to install the Magnaflow ourselves at home. It was super easy. I'd find a new dealership next time you need something done on the car!

Also, I think the Magnaflow is great. Best sound, for sure. Felt like it got a little HP boost. More than just the feeling that you're going faster because you finally hear something when you hit the gas :smile:

Old 08-14-2003, 01:34 PM
Thechandler81
4th Gear
I love my MAGNAFLOW! Thanks Randy! Easy install, more power, beautiful sound, really loud "gurgles" at low rpm, the #1 reason my mini has 31k miles in 1.2 years of motoring!
Dave - I will win this year!

Old 08-14-2003, 01:38 PM
2minis
6th Gear
My wife watched a DVD that had my last S on it and said...
"You know, I kind of miss the Magnaflow."

Old 08-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Thechandler81
4th Gear
Also, I have had many people, including a ferrari driver say "that sounds MEAN!"

Old 08-15-2003, 04:41 AM
Redleg13
3rd Gear
it's clearly the best mod I've done. The sound is perfection. Those people who think it's too loud should be driving my wife's Toyota Prius (actually, she even says shew likes the sound). As to performance, I can't tell any difference.

Old 08-15-2003, 07:32 AM
firenewt
4th Gear
I love my Magnaflow. If you think the sound of the 'flow is awsome, just add a Milltek header to the mix. Sound is unlike any other system I have heard. It just loves to threaten the ricers.

Old 08-15-2003, 07:38 AM
Thechandler81
4th Gear
>>I love my Magnaflow. If you think the sound of the 'flow is awsome, just add a Milltek header to the mix. Sound is unlike any other system I have heard. It just loves to threaten the ricers.

Does the header make that big a difference sound wise? Please expand, im having a tough time deciding on it or not..

Old 08-16-2003, 07:25 AM
firenewt
4th Gear
Kind of hard to describe the change in sound. It raises the pitch slightly and smooths out the sound overall. One person who heard it said it sounds like an Indy car. Currently have no way to post a sound file.

Old 08-16-2003, 07:43 AM
DUCTTAPE
3rd Gear
>> Currently have no way to post a sound file.
>> :smile:

David

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Thoughts on my Magnaflow