Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 07 R56 MCS Alta CAI install notes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 03:05 PM
Lumberlog
|
1st Gear
07 R56 MCS Alta CAI install notes

I just installed an Alta CAI kit on my late 07 R56 MCS and I wanted to mention a couple of issues.

Most of the problems I had were related to the documentation. First, the poorly Xeroxed instructions were so dark that the pictures were essentially just black squares which were totally useless. The instructions haven't been available on the server for over a week so I couldn't get additional info there.

Second, on my Mini, there is no way to separate the stock cold air intake tube, unless maybe you're the Hulk, so you can twist it out of the stock airbox. You have to disconnect the airbox from the engine and twist the box instead of the tube to separate the two. This should be made clear to save a lot of headache and possibly damage.

Finally, the instructions say that you should remove the scoop intake grill but mine was already active (had holes in it) so I don't believe this is necessary. Comments Adam? I went ahead and removed mine to see how it would work out but when you take it off it really looks like a piece is missing! There is flat, stained paint showing and seam welds, not to mention the scoop pins sticking out. Looks terrible!
To remove the scoop, the instructions say to pull hard on the scoop insert but I would caution against this. I pulled on mine and one of the snaps on the underside promptly broke. I used a panel removal tool to slip under the scoop and gently pry out the rest of the snaps which worked much better but be careful not to scratch the paint. I had to glue the snap back in place, hopefully it will hold.

Overall I like the kit. It sounds great and I may be fooling myself but the engine seems to develop power a lot quicker. I love the freeway entrances from a full stop into moving traffic. I'm passing people before I get to the end of the onramp! The documentation seems to be for another version of the car though. You may have to get creative to interpret the instructions for your car.

I bought the H&R spring kit as well but I think I'll wait until the instructions are available on the site before I attempt an install.

Old 04-08-2008 | 03:11 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Old 04-08-2008 | 03:21 PM
Lumberlog
|
1st Gear
I'd like to have some pics just to reduce the chances of getting the suspension apart and having a question about where a part goes while everything's dangling. I've done this kind of thing on other cars, maybe I'll just do it and post the pics myself. I'm kinda **** about these things.

Cheers

Old 04-08-2008 | 03:29 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
There are good install pics in the .pdf file.

More install pics and torque specs here:https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lignment+specs
The R53 and R56 have the same suspension torque specs.

Oh that front pass. side strut shaft is a P.I.A. to pull out!

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 04-08-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2008 | 03:38 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
the intake is a very easy install compared to the springs...

no offense but if you had trouble installing the intake... you might want to think twice about the springs.

Old 04-08-2008 | 03:50 PM
Lumberlog
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
There are good install pics in the .pdf file.

More install pics and torque specs here:https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lignment+specs
The R53 and R56 have the same suspension torque specs.

Oh that front pass. side strut shaft is a P.I.A. to pull out!

Sweet!! Thanks for the link OXYBLUECOOP. That's just what I was looking for.

Cheers

Old 04-08-2008 | 03:55 PM
Lumberlog
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
the intake is a very easy install compared to the springs...

no offense but if you had trouble installing the intake... you might want to think twice about the springs.
It wasn't that it was hard, it just wasn't well documented. Especially when working with plastic pieces, if you haven't taken it apart before and you don't have instructions, there's a good chance you will break something. The intake muffler for instance: there are 4 clips that need to be squeezed to easily remove it from the firewall and they cannot be seen when the piece is installed but that isn't mentioned. Info like that would be useful.

Cheers

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:29 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
^^ sounds good.

For the most part, the instructions for the suspension are fairly well made if you find the right threads.

If you do end up needing help, shoot me a pm or just post somewhere!

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:24 PM
Lumberlog
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
^^ sounds good.

For the most part, the instructions for the suspension are fairly well made if you find the right threads.

If you do end up needing help, shoot me a pm or just post somewhere!

Good luck!
Thanks, ghosthound.

Old 04-10-2008 | 05:45 PM
Lumberlog
|
1st Gear
Can anyone comment on the need to remove the scoop plug on the R56 MCS when installing the Alta CAI? The scoop is already active, although only about half of the potential holes are open. I used a dremel to open up the rest of my holes but the plastic that the scoop is made from doesn't clean up that well. Any thoughts or comments?

Old 04-11-2008 | 12:56 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
I see absolutely no need to remove the scoop grill. The holes that are already there in the late model 07 should be enough, but if you want to dremel out some more, then go for it, I think that's a good idea, but I'm to lazy to do it. Those with early 07's will have more work to do.

Last edited by amazingrando; 04-11-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2008 | 12:13 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
After installing Alta's intake I feel like my car is slower from 3rd gear and up. First and second feel great but third gear plus just seem sluggish. I followed all of Alta's instructions expect for the disconnected the negative side of the battery. Does anyone think this might be my problem.

Old 04-11-2008 | 02:27 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigjoeski08
After installing Alta's intake I feel like my car is slower from 3rd gear and up. First and second feel great but third gear plus just seem sluggish. I followed all of Alta's instructions expect for the disconnected the negative side of the battery. Does anyone think this might be my problem.
That is weird an intake should do just the opposite hurt low RPM low speed help high RPM high speed

Last edited by Derosi; 04-11-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-11-2008 | 02:52 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
In third gear around 3000RPM the car feels slow almost like I have huge turbo lag.

Old 04-11-2008 | 02:57 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Thanks for the link. I had e-mailled it to him as well. Strange!

Old 04-11-2008 | 03:01 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Lumberlog
I just installed an Alta CAI kit on my late 07 R56 MCS and I wanted to mention a couple of issues.

Most of the problems I had were related to the documentation. First, the poorly Xeroxed instructions were so dark that the pictures were essentially just black squares which were totally useless. The instructions haven't been available on the server for over a week so I couldn't get additional info there.

Second, on my Mini, there is no way to separate the stock cold air intake tube, unless maybe you're the Hulk, so you can twist it out of the stock airbox. You have to disconnect the airbox from the engine and twist the box instead of the tube to separate the two. This should be made clear to save a lot of headache and possibly damage.

Finally, the instructions say that you should remove the scoop intake grill but mine was already active (had holes in it) so I don't believe this is necessary. Comments Adam? I went ahead and removed mine to see how it would work out but when you take it off it really looks like a piece is missing! There is flat, stained paint showing and seam welds, not to mention the scoop pins sticking out. Looks terrible!
To remove the scoop, the instructions say to pull hard on the scoop insert but I would caution against this. I pulled on mine and one of the snaps on the underside promptly broke. I used a panel removal tool to slip under the scoop and gently pry out the rest of the snaps which worked much better but be careful not to scratch the paint. I had to glue the snap back in place, hopefully it will hold.

Overall I like the kit. It sounds great and I may be fooling myself but the engine seems to develop power a lot quicker. I love the freeway entrances from a full stop into moving traffic. I'm passing people before I get to the end of the onramp! The documentation seems to be for another version of the car though. You may have to get creative to interpret the instructions for your car.

I bought the H&R spring kit as well but I think I'll wait until the instructions are available on the site before I attempt an install.
Sorry you had a bad run on this one. As you can see from most of the posters in here, that it generally goes REALLY smoothly.

On the instructions. We had an outside person (un authorized and due to pending legal things I can' go into detail, but suffice it to say the issues with the website are NOT ALTA related. Fixing them and others as I type this.) The instructions are printed, not xeroxed, but I will check the quality when I go back to the office early next week.

the scoop thing is personal preference. I have one car with it out, one car modded and opened up the last factory opened up. So it is up to the individual. No matter what though the importance of the air flow is crucial.

Again on the springs, I PM'd or e-mailled you the link also posted above. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Old 04-11-2008 | 03:02 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
My thought here is more that you might have the clamp loose from the MAF to the inlet hose, or that too much oil is on the filter. Try cleaning and checking. Then report back. Like others have mentioned it should be the exact opposite of the results you are seeing.

Keep me posted!

Old 04-11-2008 | 03:07 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
How should I go about cleaning the filter?

Old 04-11-2008 | 03:19 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
How should I go about cleaning the filter?
How long has it been on? If it is pretty clean, then just use some paper towels to remove any excess oil on the fitler, the inlet tube etc. Then re-install.

If it is grossly dirty, then you need to clean and re-oil it. A kit is shown here:

CLICK HERE

Old 04-11-2008 | 03:21 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
The intake has been on for 3 days now, thanks for the help I will give it a shot.

Old 04-11-2008 | 03:36 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
The intake has been on for 3 days now, thanks for the help I will give it a shot.
KOOL!

Old 04-11-2008 | 06:47 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
Ok I cleaned the filter and checked all my connections and everything looks normal. So I took the car for a short drive and didn't really notice a difference. I'm starting to believe it's just in my head and third gear never pulled as hard as second gear from around the same RPM range. So that only means I need more mods lol.

Old 04-12-2008 | 08:27 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
I have cleaned the filter again today and disconnected the battery for about 20 mins. Re-Checked all my clamps even tighten some OEM ones. I just did a 0-70 run and my god this thing hull's *** now. I think my car's ecu had to relearn for the more air coming in because now it's all business in third gear. On a side note I have'nt listened to the radio for 4 days now PPPSSSSHHHH...

Old 04-12-2008 | 11:36 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
That's more like it!

Yeah, screw spending money on the stereo upgrades. I love the sound of my car with the intake.

Now I want the turbo back.

Old 04-13-2008 | 03:44 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
yeah what he said!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 07 R56 MCS Alta CAI install notes