Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ALTA mod choice help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 07:14 AM
TBMINI
|
2nd Gear
ALTA mod choice help

Im having trouble choosing the order of mods I should do. Could anyone please help me choose/revise the order I have below:

Alta cat-back
Alta CAI
Alta downpipe
Alta intercooler

Thanks in advance. Will be looking forward to any help

Old 04-14-2008 | 08:25 AM
Kirkland
2nd Gear
CAI or cat-back, intercooler, downpipe (dp may be louder than you desire), along with lighter rims, non run-flats, and larger rear sway bar

Old 04-14-2008 | 10:08 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
I like the order that you have it in. The Cat-Back is a GREAT place to start as it gives you some improved looks, sound and performance. Then move to the less seen items.

Thanks for even considering ALTA! Let me know if I can help further!

Old 04-14-2008 | 10:42 AM
jthorst75
3rd Gear
i'm thinking if you can, do it all at once and make a weekend out of it. plus you will save on shipping and possible garage fees if apply. either way you can't go wrong with any of those mods and when your all done get the ecu upgrade!

Old 04-14-2008 | 02:43 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
i would say go to a custom exhaust shop and have a magnaflow put on first. then with the money you save get the alta intake. after that get the boost tubes. you live in hot houston right , so as soon as you can add the intercooler, i believe you cant go wrong with cooler air charge. then ecu it or downpipe it , that is the stage im at. once you have de power then get the wheels and drop it. and most important have as much fun as you can . doing this stuff is fun.

Old 04-14-2008 | 04:06 PM
jthorst75
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
i would say go to a custom exhaust shop and have a magnaflow put on first. then with the money you save get the alta intake. after that get the boost tubes. you live in hot houston right , so as soon as you can add the intercooler, i believe you cant go wrong with cooler air charge. then ecu it or downpipe it , that is the stage im at. once you have de power then get the wheels and drop it. and most important have as much fun as you can . doing this stuff is fun.

and EXPENSIVE!

Old 04-14-2008 | 04:45 PM
scott48
6th Gear
intake and turbo back exhaust first....then the other pieces....and for a really awesome sounding car, get the Alta ecu tune as it makes the car sound soooo mean!!

Old 04-14-2008 | 06:14 PM
TBMINI
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
I like the order that you have it in. The Cat-Back is a GREAT place to start as it gives you some improved looks, sound and performance. Then move to the less seen items.

Thanks for even considering ALTA! Let me know if I can help further!
First off thanks for all the help everyone

Well I'm partially choosing ALTA because I know you get what you pay for (price = quality) and partially because I know that if I have any trouble that you'll always help

ALTA = FAST MINIS

I'm keeping the order i originally had, but all the advice was very helpful! Thanks to all...

Tyler

Old 04-15-2008 | 01:11 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scott48
, get the Alta ecu tune as it makes the car sound soooo mean!!
I'll vouch for that!

The stock exhaust sounds pretty wicked when you are chipped and on the gas.

I can just imagine how it must sound with a cat back. I think TB would be a bit much for me.

Old 04-15-2008 | 01:20 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
ALTA will be on my next MINI. BMW has made JCW cost too much money for what little performance it offers. IMHO Destroying the John Cooper Name.

Old 04-15-2008 | 03:06 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
THANKS guys and gals! As always let me know if I can ever help with any questions or concerns.

Old 04-21-2008 | 01:39 PM
PistWalrus
2nd Gear
I vote you get the software done first. It will give you the most bang for the buck as far as HP goes.

Old 04-21-2008 | 03:57 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by PistWalrus
I vote you get the software done first. It will give you the most bang for the buck as far as HP goes.
certainly some truth in that statement. But it doesn't sound or look any different, like a cat-back etc. adds.

Old 04-21-2008 | 04:42 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TBMINI
First off thanks for all the help everyone

Well I'm partially choosing ALTA because I know you get what you pay for (price = quality) and partially because I know that if I have any trouble that you'll always help

ALTA = FAST MINIS

I'm keeping the order i originally had, but all the advice was very helpful! Thanks to all...

Tyler
There certainly aren't many cheaper choices out there but yes I now have most of the Alta bolt on parts and the last two on order and can attest to the good product quality and absolutely best customer service in the business.

Before you put this one to bed are you prioritizing parts by power gain, appearance, price, or sound?

If its max gain, I'd say Intercooler then turbo back exhaust
If its appearance and/or sound, I'd go CAI and Catback
Pricewise, the CAI and Inlet/Boost Tubes are as much together as each of the other parts.

I just installed the boost tubes and turbo inlet and though they really don't look like they would add anything they most certainly did add both power and MPG efficiency.

I am not sure if you are the DIY type, but I definitely endorse that. If so I highly highly recommend going through Adams how-to sticky threads and having every tool he recommends on hand for the installs. They will save you a ton of frustration!