Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Parts vs Fuel economy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 05:27 PM
dfraccica01
|
Neutral
Parts vs Fuel economy?

I will be returning from Iraq in a month and a half!!! With some of the extra money I made over here I am interested in putting some parts on my 07 MCS. But, I am currently in Germany and travel a lot, and gas is EXPENSIVE over there. So I want to get some parts that will give me some get up but not reduce the gas mileage. I read the more airflow the better and more effecient the engine will run. But someone at my work says its not necessarily true. I also read that bigger turbo's greatly decrease the fuel effeciency, but all that does is blow air into the engine as well. So out of the list below which should I avoid?

CAI
Exhaust
Alta ECU Chip
Alta Stealth I/C

I tried researching this a little myself but I dont have a lot of access to web pages due to the proxy filter on the internet here. Your help and clarification would be appreciated. I know there probably is a FAQ or something on this site somewhere but I cant find it with the internet blocker they have set up. Thanks!

Last edited by dfraccica01; 04-15-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2008 | 05:30 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dfraccica01
I will be returning from Iraq in a month and a half!!! With some of the extra money I made over here I am interested in putting some parts on my 07 MCS. But, I am currently in Germany and travel a lot, and gas is EXPENSIVE over there. So I want to get some parts that will give me some get up but not reduce the gas mileage. I read the more airflow the better and more effecient the engine will run. But someone at my work says its not necessarily true. I also read that bigger turbo's greatly decrease the fuel effeciency, but all that does is blow air into the engine as well. So out of the list below which should I avoid?

CAI
Exhaust
Alta ECU Chip
Alta Stealth I/C

I tried researching this a little myself but I dont have a lot of access to web pages due to the proxy filter on the internet here. Your help and clarification would be appreciated. I know there probably is a FAQ or something on this site somewhere but I cant find it with the internet blocker they have set up. Thanks!

Good question. We were discussing this on another thread recently and I went to try to find it and I couldn't find it either.

With those mods I got in the 37-38 mpg range in mostly freeway. On more mixed bag 28-31. Just keep your foot form being buried in it all the time.

Let me know if I can help in anyway further!

Old 04-15-2008 | 08:38 PM
dfraccica01
|
Neutral
Thanks for the reply Adam! I should be sending you guys an order in a couple weeks with the stuff listed above. My only problem is trying to figure out how to get it shipped over to my base in Germany lol. I am trying to work something out with my dad atm. Hopefully they will let him send a big exhaust through military mail to an APO address

Old 04-15-2008 | 09:56 PM
FortyTwo
3rd Gear
How about lighter wheels too? Maybe even in a larger diameter wheel/tire combo...

Old 04-16-2008 | 09:25 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dfraccica01
Thanks for the reply Adam! I should be sending you guys an order in a couple weeks with the stuff listed above. My only problem is trying to figure out how to get it shipped over to my base in Germany lol. I am trying to work something out with my dad atm. Hopefully they will let him send a big exhaust through military mail to an APO address

Good point! I can't ship it that way, but I bet a family member could. Let me know how we can help!

Old 04-16-2008 | 09:27 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by FortyTwo
How about lighter wheels too? Maybe even in a larger diameter wheel/tire combo...
Good point too. Even something like THESE CLICK HERE

We offer several wheels that are in the 12-18 lb range. Combined with ditching the run-flats and you are all set!