Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain M7's own Super-AGS thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008 | 09:57 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NY_R56
From the Super-AGS to my Homemade CAI I did notice some low end torque loss via my butt dyno, but the sound from the Homemade CAI was five times louder than the Super-AGS and fifty times louder than stock
So, I can't figure out if you are saying you're dissatisfied with the super ags or what? Why did you go back to the homemade CAI exactly?

Old 06-08-2008 | 03:35 PM
NY_R56
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
So, I can't figure out if you are saying you're dissatisfied with the super ags or what? Why did you go back to the homemade CAI exactly?
I'm not saying that I'm dissatisfied the Super-AGS, I love it. I just have to fix a rubbing issue before I put it back on again.

The reason that I went back to my homemade CAI was that I wanted a louder blow off sound. When me and my friends went out this Americade weekend (Sti, Porsche, and Evo all of them have aftermarket BOV's on them except mine) we try to sync our BOV so it sounds like one loud "Pssshh"

Old 06-08-2008 | 08:28 PM
The Greek
1st Gear
I have to vent guys....

The way M7 has handled this whole new intake product review is just ridiculous....

They create a thread debuting there new super AGS intake. It looks awesome, and shows a lot of promise. Give plenty of details, and answer most questions. Once questions start coming for a dyno graph, including one of my mine, we get no response. Then we get excuses on how its coming soon, but got delayed b/c of whatever. THEN they finally release the dyno, and to our amazement, shows a 24 ft/torque gain down low, when MOST intakes show a gain of 9-12 whp.

M7 acts like the dyno is perfectly legit. Like 24 ft/torque is perfectly normal for an intake. Whether or not "overboost" was used only for the intake run was an accident, M7 needs to correct it. They continue to act like the dyno of the intake is fine, and use the sheet as a selling point. THIS TO ME IS UNACCEPTABLE. Your lying to your customers, and a ignorant owner is going to buy your product expecting a "huge" gain from a simple intake.

You lost my sale and my respect....

Last edited by The Greek; 06-08-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2008 | 08:31 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by The Greek
I have to vent guys....

The way M7 has handled this whole new intake product review is just ridiculous....

They create a thread debuting there new super AGS intake. It looks awesome, and shows a lot of promise. Give plenty of details, and answer most questions. Once questions start coming for a dyno graph, including one of my mine, we get no response. Then we get excuses on how its coming soon, but got delayed b/c of whatever. THEN they finally release the dyno, and to our amazement, shows a 24 whp gain down low, when MOST intakes show a gain of 9-12 whp.

M7 acts like the dyno is perfectly legit. Like 24 whp is perfectly normal for an intake. Whether or not "overboost" was used only for the intake run was an accident, M7 needs to correct it. They continue to act like the dyno of the intake is fine, and use the sheet as a selling point. THIS TO ME IS UNACCEPTABLE. Your lying to your customers, and a ignorant owner is going to buy your product expecting a "huge" gain from a simple intake.

Just make sure you don't post your dissent more than once, in light of recent rule changes and all (If you complain more than once about a vendor's product you'll be banned for one week).

Old 06-08-2008 | 10:55 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I have to vent guys....

They create a thread debuting there new super AGS intake. It looks awesome, and shows a lot of promise. Give plenty of details, and answer most questions. Once questions start coming for a dyno graph, including one of my mine, we get no response. Then we get excuses on how its coming soon, but got delayed b/c of whatever. THEN they finally release the dyno, and to our amazement, shows a 24 ft/torque gain down low, when MOST intakes show a gain of 9-12 whp.

M7 acts like the dyno is perfectly legit. Like 24 ft/torque is perfectly normal for an intake. Whether or not "overboost" was used only for the intake run was an accident, M7 needs to correct it. They continue to act like the dyno of the intake is fine, and use the sheet as a selling point. THIS TO ME IS UNACCEPTABLE. Your lying to your customers, and a ignorant owner is going to buy your product expecting a "huge" gain from a simple intake.

Glad to see more people here have some common sense when it comes to these ridiculous claims that some vendors make.

Old 06-08-2008 | 11:18 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
Just make sure you don't post your dissent more than once, in light of recent rule changes and all (If you complain more than once about a vendor's product you'll be banned for one week).
The issue hasn't been the negative feedback when its constructive (like the post above). The issue has been when a very small group of people decide that piling on a vendor is more a form of entertainment or can be used to better the perception of another vendor. Frankly after a while it looks like harassment and stalking rather than actually helping fellow members.

Mark

Old 06-09-2008 | 09:25 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark
The issue hasn't been the negative feedback when its constructive (like the post above). The issue has been when a very small group of people decide that piling on a vendor is more a form of entertainment or can be used to better the perception of another vendor. Frankly after a while it looks like harassment and stalking rather than actually helping fellow members.

Mark
According to what I read out of your post, it basically looks like you want everyone tattling on everyone, and while constructive critisism is ok, only once. Same with telling someone about products. If you say you like a product more than once, you're a fanboi.

Nevermind the fact that 27 people a day make the exact same thread so every 20 minutes people have to rehash the previous thread.

Honestly, for me, the Voltage thread was the last straw.

That thread has been going fine for over a month now with no drama at all. Who gives a crap if they're a vendor or not, a member bought one, and sang praise about it. He offered information, and whoopdi do, he happens to know the guy. So how many people bought one because of his post, 3? How many people do you think buy M7's wanna-be performance parts every month...

Like others have said, we're all enthusiasts, some more knowledgeable than others. When people are passionate about something, they're going to fight about it eventually. Turning NAM into some Pleasantville society where everything looks fine on the surface will fail.

Eventually people that want real information will be frustrated and leave, and NAM will be flooded with posts about what color car they should buy (Honestly? Have we gotten to the point that we're having people we never even met decide what color car to buy?), what boat their car is on, how many toggle switches they should order their car with, and what to name their MINI.

I can already see NAM's shift from 2 years ago when 90% of the posts were questions about performance parts (From members that actually questioned their benefit) to it's current populace of "Semi-Enthusiasts", who basically just take vendor claims for what they are, waste money on stuff, then come back to complain later on when they find that after spend 6k dollars on performance parts, they didn't make any power.

Take a hint from other car forums out there, information is a lot more important than flowers and pretty colors. Eventually the people that actually care about performance will go somewhere else.

Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2008 | 10:43 AM
Mark
I have spent a lot of time on other sites and see piling on, haters, and fanboys just like I do here. In most cases its worse than it is on NAM. I think that is a good thing that NAM isn't as bad. That said I don't expect Pleasantville but I do expect it to be a community and all points of view accepted as such. Its not just about performance mods with ALL the owners. There are people that spend all of their time in Off-topic, interior and exterior mods, and just chatting about the latest. Its a community and when people pile on to a member's posts to post beat him to death it creates a hostile environment driving many members away...they don't contribute in any way.

I expect people to be respectful, give others a chance to discuss topics without fear of being post beaten because they don't subscribe to your line of thinking or goals. That doesn't exclude vendors being challenged on their claims. Its all about how its done. Over the last few months I've seen what is better characterized as bullying and it needs to end.

If you want to interact with others as a member of this community then it needs to be within the guidelines I've set. If that can't be done then I wish you well in finding a new place to post. vBulletin is only $160.00 so you can always start your own. Heck, phpBB is free. NAM got started because I didn't like the other options I found. You can also do the same if you don't like it here.

Mark

Old 06-09-2008 | 11:03 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark
I have spent a lot of time on other sites and see piling on, haters, and fanboys just like I do here. In most cases its worse than it is on NAM. I think that is a good thing that NAM isn't as bad. That said I don't expect Pleasantville but I do expect it to be a community and all points of view accepted as such. Its not just about performance mods with ALL the owners. There are people that spend all of their time in Off-topic, interior and exterior mods, and just chatting about the latest. Its a community and when people pile on to a member's posts to post beat him to death it creates a hostile environment driving many members away...they don't contribute in any way.

I expect people to be respectful, give others a chance to discuss topics without fear of being post beaten because they don't subscribe to your line of thinking or goals. That doesn't exclude vendors being challenged on their claims. Its all about how its done. Over the last few months I've seen what is better characterized as bullying and it needs to end.

If you want to interact with others as a member of this community then it needs to be within the guidelines I've set. If that can't be done then I wish you well in finding a new place to post. vBulletin is only $160.00 so you can always start your own. Heck, phpBB is free. NAM got started because I didn't like the other options I found. You can also do the same if you don't like it here.

Mark

I don't need a new place to post. I'm fine not posting anywhere at all . Let people figure it out for themselves. I'd be willing to bet that the "Reviews" section has gotten about 43 page views since it was put up.

I don't come to NAM for knowledge (At this point outside the realm of mortal mods there's not a whole lot of help most people could offer anyway), I come to NAM to share knowledge. I'm sure I can find another way to fill that void in my life.

Old 06-09-2008 | 11:10 AM
Mark
No problem...I wish you well.

Mark

Old 06-09-2008 | 12:17 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
I don't need a new place to post. I'm fine not posting anywhere at all .
NAM would be a much better place if this were true.
Let people figure it out for themselves.
I wish you would let them.
I don't come to NAM for knowledge
Because you know everything already?
I come to NAM to share knowledge. I'm sure I can find another way to fill that void in my life.
Share what? Nothing you post benefits anyone on here. Please find that void filler.

Old 06-09-2008 | 01:54 PM
The Greek
1st Gear
Rustyboy - Whatever agenda you have, PLEASE dont use it here! You have a tendency to put in your .02 a little too much, and get the thread off track.

What I want is M7 to respond to my post directly. I want to hear what they have to say.....

Old 06-09-2008 | 02:51 PM
6th Gear
Rustyboy - Whatever agenda you have, PLEASE dont use it here! You have a tendency to put in your .02 a little too much, and get the thread off track.

What I want is M7 to respond to my post directly. I want to hear what they have to say.....
If I had an agenda I'd be causing a lot more havoc on NAM than being displeased with shady marketing and nonsense products...

I work with computers all day long, there's plenty I could do to a website if I wanted to push an agenda.

Old 06-09-2008 | 02:57 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
NAM would be a much better place if this were true.
Yup, perfect world. Utopia.
I wish you would let them.
Trying to, stomaching all the BS is pretty challenging though.
Because you know everything already?
If I did, I'd make a lot more money...
Share what? Nothing you post benefits anyone on here. Please find that void filler.
I didn't know NAM was a collective entity with you speaking as their voice, now that I do, and I'm aware that not a single person has every gotten anything out of any of my posts (Since you apparently speak for everyone, even those that PM me on a daily basis asking questions), I'll just /ignore everyone and move on.

Old 06-09-2008 | 03:03 PM
cartar452
Banned
I didn't know NAM was a collective entity with you speaking as their voice, now that I do, and I'm aware that not a single person has every gotten anything out of any of my posts (Since you apparently speak for everyone, even those that PM me on a daily basis asking questions), I'll just /ignore everyone and move on.
I've learned everything I know from your posts.

Old 06-09-2008 | 04:06 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Trying to, stomaching all the BS is pretty challenging though.
Then save yourself the grief, and leave.
If I did, I'd make a lot more money...
Why do you need to make money, doesn't your mommy and daddy just give it to you?
I'll just /ignore everyone and move on.
Please do, the day you got outta here would be a NAM holiday.

Old 06-09-2008 | 04:16 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
Then save yourself the grief, and leave.

Why do you need to make money, doesn't your mommy and daddy just give it to you?

I wish. For the record my parents haven't supported me since I was 17 (almost 5 years). The only financial support I see from them is the lack of rent payments, which would account for about 10% of what I make in a month, so the living arrangement is more one of convenience, not capability.

Since you've never even met me, perhaps you should reserve judgement on my financial earnings and living arrangement until you actually have a clue (instead of piecing together the fact that I'm not married yet at 22, living on my own in a slummy apartment, which I suppose in your mind at least proves that I'm more of a "Man" ). I don't like wasting money on things I don't need to, in case you haven't noticed by now...

Old 06-09-2008 | 04:38 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
I wanna chime in here and say that I too know everything and come here to thread jack and beat up on all my friends. All the while getting my threads and posts pulled and getting warned never to do those things again... Rusty and PM...you 2 need to play nice....we all (well most of us) have been here for a long while....except for the Noob who told Rusty to shove off with 34 posts to his credit....

Last edited by UKSUV; 06-09-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2008 | 04:40 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Hey Blake...you want me to help you put your exhaust on this weekend? And why are you on here on company time! Im telling.......

Old 06-09-2008 | 04:47 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Now I'm going to have to resubscribe to this thread.

Old 06-09-2008 | 04:49 PM
kalbone
5th Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
Hey Blake...you want me to help you put your exhaust on this weekend? And why are you on here on company time! Im telling.......
whateva! u need to follow me to cali...

Old 06-09-2008 | 04:50 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
Hahaha...I'm on here all day . Shhh.

Yea that'd be sweet, I'm going to be out of town this weekend though . Hopefully it comes before Friday.

Old 06-09-2008 | 04:58 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
I don't like wasting money on things I don't need to, in case you haven't noticed by now...
Everyone on here has noticed, about 1,000 posts ago.

Seeing that your sig states that you have an R53, and not an R56, then why come in here and sling your crap about a part that doesn't even fit your car?
Because you hate Peter and M7, that's why. Every M7 thread you come across has to have you talking crap about something they post. The only reason you do it is because Jan and Peter don't get along. You like Jan, and hate Peter, so BAM, here's rustygirl slinging crap again.
Yea, we know you've had M7 stuff that didn't work for you, IT'S IN THE PAST NOW. You've made changes now that you're happy with, so grow up, get over it, and move on.

The friggin' kids these days... don't friggin' listen.

Old 06-09-2008 | 05:10 PM
M7
|
Former Vendor
Nardo here again. I've been out of the loop lately. I haven't had as much time to read through the forums as I used to (when I get home from work the last thing on my mind is MINI-anything). Peter asked me to read through and post something as I was the only one at the dyno when we ran the tests. I'm going to lay out as much as I can on the table so take it for what it's worth. It's gonna be long (insert "the Office" joke here) so bear with me. I know some people already have their reservations as far as the M7 image and I respect your choice whether good for the company or not. It's cool.

They create a thread debuting there new super AGS intake. It looks awesome, and shows a lot of promise. Give plenty of details, and answer most questions. Once questions start coming for a dyno graph, including one of my mine, we get no response. Then we get excuses on how its coming soon, but got delayed b/c of whatever.
I honestly didn't pay much attention to this thread (or any thread for that matter) until I came back to the office with the dyno results so I apologize for delays and what not. As far as these latest results... here's the deal:
Peter didn't want to go back to the dyno we were originally using for reasons most people already know about. I won't go into it because you can probably use the search function and find out about it if it bothers anyone that much. Bottom line is we needed a new place and (because of the requests) we needed it fast. I was riding shotgun from a business meeting on a Thursday afternoon and tried calling 4 different places on the way back to the office. I was trying to make a next-day appointment so you can understand the trouble I ran into. At some places, the techs just didn't have time to do a comparison as they had appointments. One place was moving and dismantled their dyno. Another shop wouldn't be set up for another month. Anyone else I could think of off the top of my head was just too far as the car couldn't be in my possession for the whole day to drive somewhere. Anyways, I finally found a place that could accommodate the time we needed to run our tests.

THEN they finally release the dyno, and to our amazement, shows a 24 ft/torque gain down low, when MOST intakes show a gain of 9-12 whp.
Well... that's sort of like apples and oranges, isn't it?

I'll be honest, the torque gain at low RPM is odd. That's the first thing the dyno techs pointed out to me. So I had them run the intake a few more times and still got that bump. It was consistent, so I said "that's that then".

When I was in the shop I just let them run the dyno and didn't do anything but jump up before each run to make sure "overboost" was on and the traction control was off. The car was allowed to cool before both the aftermarket and oem intakes. The oem intake had a bit more time to cool as there were customers coming into the shop with emergency situations that needed the staff's attention.

The dyno was set up with two large scale fans. One was blowing head on. The other was blowing above this fan at an angle onto the engine bay. They ran consistently and constantly with the exception of the head-on fan dying during one of the Super AGS runs (this run obviously gave slightly lower numbers, but that spike at low RPMs was still present). Engine temps were monitored during the tests to ensure that both intakes were performing under equal conditions.

Take the numbers for what they're worth. As I've said, many people have their reservations about M7 and will stand on one side of the company no matter what gets posted or what doesn't get posted.

For that, I'm sorry. No matter who I work for, I would want the respect of people that potentially trust your work and opinions... especially considering the time and effort going into something. I'm not so much worried about the sale... but perhaps someday we can regain whatever respect you offer... otherwise my time and effort working and writing is just a wash.

Old 06-09-2008 | 05:14 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
ok. So what should I name my mini? And just how many toggle switches should I order? Those are the important questions J.K.

M7 is the only aftermarket intake for the mini with a larger flat air filter. All other intakes are of the cone variety. So why is it so hard to beleive that a different style all together would have different results? If you notice the dino results from cone filters have a low end torque loss but gains up high. While the larger flat filter has low end torque gains and no improvement up high. So back to the important stuff. 5 toggles?

Last edited by chakraj; 06-09-2008 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain M7's own Super-AGS thread