Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain M7's own Super-AGS thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008 | 11:56 PM
M7
|
Former Vendor
M7's own Super-AGS thread

Most of you know by now, that the Super-AGS is for sale.

We had originally wanted to release the unit at AMVIV, but I felt we needed to do some important changes to the design to make it even better for you the customer.

#1 the unit was sitting a little to close to the rear plastic firewall divider.
Not that the unit was hitting the wall during testing, but I wanted to be 100% sure that there would never be an issue.

#2 I finally found someone that could make a perfect velocity-stack locally
At a great price. This change is being done early this week and I expect a small but significant change in performance.

#3 The original filter had a 1" pleat depth good but not perfect as we where looking for ground breaking filter to surface area. These filters are
now made with an almost 1.75" pleat depth. We finally got the filters in house Friday. I have also seen people asking if we use "paper filters"
And the answer is we use an oiled cotton media, same as K&N is using in their filters.

#4 The unit was sitting a little high in the front area, so I decided to
lower down the profile by a half of an inch. This would not only make the unit more attractive but it would also allow air to flow over the filter media
in a more efficient manner. And finally this would also allow any STB's to be used.

#5 I wanted this unit to be as affordable as possible, so we looked at all the possible ways to make the unit faster and managed to cut the cost
Tremendously....... All in you the customers favor.

I am getting a lot of emails asking which is best the AGS-R or the Super-AGS...Kind of asking who you love the best your daughter or you son.
I think the person who gravitates to the AGS-R will most likely find that unit absolutely fantastic, as it's looks are the bomb..

The Super-AGS was made at a much later date and I was looking for performance first and looks later. We added vortex generators a velocity stack and the biggest filter that could possibly fit in the R56 engine compartment. With all that said I will have an informal shootout at the dyno later this week between both units (as soon as I get the final production Super-AGS in house).

I am also expecting a Carbon Fiber version of the AGS-R in the next week or so. And I am also working on some very cool additions to the Super-AGS to make it even more efficient.

The same question of water ingestion seem to come up now and then
and I think the same answers always seem to clear it up...
When the water spray enters in through the hood scoop, heavier water particles will fall towards the engine block and very few large particle will enter in through the oiled filter media, what does will almost immediately evaporate in to very small water droplets and consequently cool the intake charge and up your octane level a ++
If your hood is below the waterline, it’s time to bail.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Old 04-21-2008 | 12:52 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by M7
#4 The unit was sitting a little high in the front area, so I decided to lower down the profile by a half of an inch. This would not only make the unit more attractive but it would also allow air to flow over the filter media in a more efficient manner. And finally this would also allow any STB's to be used.
So this essentially "tilts" the filter towards the incoming air? I like it.
That was the suggestion I made on a local MINI messeage board (psmini.org) when someone posted about all the new stuff you guys have for the R56 (Super AGS, sequential shifter, rear diffuser).

Old 04-22-2008 | 05:28 AM
PGT
Banned
could you explain how more surface area in the filter makes more power please? I understand lowering restriction.

Old 04-22-2008 | 10:24 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
Hello!

2 Questions:

1. I'm a sucker for sound. Can you hear the turbo spool?

2. Is there anyway I could get some pictures of the black version rather than the stainless steal? My E-mail is Peapod2007@gmail.com

On a side note. Thanks for creating a new thread over here.

Old 04-22-2008 | 11:16 AM
M7
|
Former Vendor
Many resons to keep the surface area as large as possible.

1. Less back pressure allowing the turbo to spool up faster and more efficiently.

2. As the surface area is larger, the longer it will take for the filter to plug
up from dirt particles.

3. Airflow, airflow, airflow is the bottom line, the more the better...Period

I do not have an image from a black unit today, but I'm expecting a bunch
of black ones this week and I will takes some pictures to show them of.

I do not have a sound file to share, and my video guy is in the Phillipines for vacation. I will try to get something up as soon as possible.
With that said the Super-AGS is not a loud system and the reason is most
likely that we have managed the airflow incredibly well with the Vortex generators/velocity stack allowing the air to flow very efficiently at the
throat of the out-put area. You will still hear the turbo spooling and the
bov doing it's job.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Last edited by M7; 04-22-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2008 | 11:40 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by M7

1. Less back pressure allowing the turbo to spool up faster and more efficiently.
Originally Posted by M7
3. Airflow, airflow, airflow is the bottom line, the more the better...Period
these points imply the stock airbox is a major restriction - is it really? I'd be interested to see data points showing the gains from switching to other designs. There's more to making power than volume of air. Turbulence, swirl, velocity, etc.

Coming from the turbo Subaru world, even Subaru's own performance brand 'SPT' got it wrong with their replacement airbox for one of the cars (the intake design although flowing more, induced erratic flow over the MAF, causing 20hp less on dyno charts as it was un-tunable).

One could always just put a screen over the turbo inlet and there would be NO restriction at all No warranty on turbo longevity though

Old 04-22-2008 | 04:49 PM
maximoose
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by M7
Most of you know by now, that the Super-AGS is for sale.

I am also expecting a Carbon Fiber version of the AGS-R in the next week or so. And I am also working on some very cool additions to the Super-AGS to make it even more efficient.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com
Dude...you said Carbon Fiber!...sweeeeet

Old 04-22-2008 | 09:22 PM
M7
|
Former Vendor
PGT you are absolutely right, adding volume can literally throw the MAF in to CEL Hell and back.

The people in the know can attest to the drawn out process of making both of our intakes, we had no interest in coming out first
with an R56 CAI, instead I stood back and started to address the issues you mentioned. As time went on I realized that we had to solve the CEL issue.

And no kidding I figured it out after a well-deserved nap one Sunday afternoon...Love naps

The CEL Defender is a way to trick the MAF in to thinking that everything is OK by smoothing the air stream over the MAF without changing the A/F ratios or act as a bottle neck. I am lucky to have an rapid prototype machine in house, so many models where made and tested before we started to laser cut the final product out of NASA grade stainless steel
Just kidding regular stainless steel for life long service.

If you the NAM reader have an issue with CEL's being thrown from a filter system, I like to give away 10 CEL Defender to the first callers Wednesday morning. I even give you free shipping....

No strings attached, just report back what your experience was like.

Back to the stock air box, PGT if you have a chance to take a look at the very "designed" stock box you would understand that Mini was more concerned about noise than performance. The filter is miniscule and made
from paper or some derivative of it, the only way the air can enter in to the system is by suction as very little air enters in from the of-center
intake way behind the grilles (think about breathing through a straw)
and you realize why everybody loves their CAI be it a home made system
or some thing "designed" by a tuner...

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Old 04-22-2008 | 09:40 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
i take it that the super ags won't work on justacooper. any idea if you guys will come out with more products for justacooper? i know that there is a huge market of justacooper owners but very few companies dishing out the products for us.

Old 04-22-2008 | 10:28 PM
M7
|
Former Vendor
I Will have something as soon as I had a vacation..

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 04-23-2008 | 12:49 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
is there anyway to replace the cotton filter element with a foam type filter?

Old 04-23-2008 | 05:36 AM
spam052
2nd Gear
ok so i couldn't help myself and i ordered one of these puppies last night. i'm now thinking that black would have been best but who cares. now when is that oh so sweeeeeetttt!!! sequential shifter coming out. cause i NEED one.

Old 04-23-2008 | 06:37 AM
provofam
2nd Gear
M7, can't wait for those dyno results. I've been looking at the different CAI systems for a couple of months now and I am definitely in the market to upgrade my 07 MCS.

Old 04-23-2008 | 08:53 AM
M7
|
Former Vendor
Good Morning...

The filter is a custom built to our spec, so the possibillity of adding a foam type filter is very slim...Sorry.

PETER
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Last edited by M7; 04-23-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-23-2008 | 12:50 PM
dvlnsyde
1st Gear
Hello Peter,

Will the super AGS fit on an 08 Clubman S (R55)?

Secondly, I know this will dramatically change the inhale of the car. How will it work with stock exhaust?

Thirdly, does the scoop need to be removed?

Thanks M7!!

Originally Posted by M7
Good Morning...

The filter is a custom built to our spec, so the possibillity of adding a foam type filter is very slim...Sorry.

PETER
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Old 04-23-2008 | 01:00 PM
maximoose
2nd Gear
Carbon Fiber

Any ideas on pricing for the carbon fiber version ? Eager to order.

Old 04-23-2008 | 01:07 PM
M7
|
Former Vendor
Hi there....

It will work beutifully on the clubman R55, with or without changing exhaust.

Removing the plate from the stock scoop will certainly enhance the cool airflow in to the engine compartment. If you really like to enhance the airflow get one of these......

Peter
M7 tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Vortex scoop

Old 04-23-2008 | 01:14 PM
M7
|
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by maximoose
Any ideas on pricing for the carbon fiber version ? Eager to order.
If we are talking about the AGS-R expect something in the $1100 range
give or take a couple of hundreds. We will also offer the Super-AGS with
a CF trim ring later this summer.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Old 04-23-2008 | 01:25 PM
YseanY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by M7
Hi there....

It will work beutifully on the clubman R55, with or without changing exhaust.

Removing the plate from the stock scoop will certainly enhance the cool airflow in to the engine compartment. If you really like to enhance the airflow get one of these......

Peter
M7 tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Vortex scoop

will there be an optional duct from the hood scoop like the AGS-R?

Old 04-23-2008 | 01:27 PM
maximoose
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by M7
If we are talking about the AGS-R expect something in the $1100 range
give or take a couple of hundreds. We will also offer the Super-AGS with
a CF trim ring later this summer.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com
Was more thinking on the line of the Super-AGS with the CF trim ring. Also what's the estimated life on the filter ?

Old 04-23-2008 | 01:54 PM
M7
|
Former Vendor
Ducting.....anything is possible.

Life expectancy of this kind of filter is a long time, depending on
how frequently you clean and re-charge the filter media. If you live in an area with a lot of dust or other polutants expect to clean the filter a little bit more regularly. We will have a re-charge kit available shortly.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Old 04-23-2008 | 04:59 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Is the filter removable? im assuming it is because im sure with enough searching i could find a filter that could fit... or modify one to fit in there.

I like the intake setup, i just dont like cotton gauze filter elements.

It makes the engine bay resemble a subie.

Old 04-23-2008 | 06:07 PM
M7
|
Former Vendor
Hehehe a Subie...

Yes it is removable, but good luck finding a filter that is 9.25"x17" and that will seal properly around the perimiter of the Super-AGS.

Peter
M7 tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Old 04-23-2008 | 06:15 PM
kgardnez
4th Gear
It's too bad you chose gauze/oil, I'm on the bandwagon that believes this is an inferior filter from the aspect of catching fine dust. Foam oil filters flow just as well and filter considerably better.

It's nice that "racers" choose gauze/oil, but they also rebuild their engines often where I would like mine to last 150 - 200K.

I'm open to new data on side by side testing, maybe gauze/oil filters have gotten better!

Old 04-23-2008 | 07:45 PM
M7
|
Former Vendor
Dear Kgardnez...

I'm a firm believer in that both the cotton and foam are equally good.
We use foam in the AGS-R and our R53 CAI. In the case of the Super-AGS
I was looking for maximum surface area, and in that case the Cotton filter
with 1.75" deep pleats does the job perfectly.

If you are contemplating purchasing the Super-AGS, I can personally guarantee you that the Oiled cotton media the we use will not harm your
Mini in any way.. And you will most likely find more people in the cotton
camp than in the foam camp.

Peter
M7 tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
www.m7tuning.com

Quick Reply: Drivetrain M7's own Super-AGS thread