Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain MINI-Motorsport/Powerchip ECU data

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 07:30 PM
Mjolnir
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAWEET JEEBUS!

Does that say 188HP at the Wheel with Pulley and Software?!?!

-Jim

Old 08-08-2003, 05:41 AM
paulmon
4th Gear
>>SAWEET JEEBUS!
>>
>>Does that say 188HP at the Wheel with Pulley and Software?!?!
>>
>>-Jim

And intake and NRP exhaust and header.

I wonder how much of a difference the header makes.

Paul

Old 08-08-2003, 07:46 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Mania header makes about 3.5 hp...

Old 08-08-2003, 09:16 AM
DaveNagy
2nd Gear
I've got questions! I've got questions! :smile:

Oh but first, excellent work Randy! Can you feel the love?

Sheesh, yet another company that insists on shipping something 'cross country every time somebody wants to re-flash their ECU. I want my own cable, dammit! Is there any chance Powerchip might re-consider their cable policy? Repeatedly shipping cables costs them money, selling cables makes them money...

You mentioned that so far, no car with the Powerchip programming exhibits surging or stumbling. Did any of those cars exhibit those symptoms before the reflash? Does the reflash in fact fix those issues?

Can you expand further on the throttle-response modifications? I love to hear that the throttle response has been made quicker both when "getting into" the gas, and when letting off. (Please, oh please say it has.)

Diy-yamn, 188 wheel horsepower. That's very very nice. By sheer coincidence, my car made 155HP when stock, and 175HP with the intake/pulley/EVOTech. If I could also get to 188HP, whoa. <happy-shiver> (I almost certainly won't get that sort of power since I plan to keep the stock exhaust for a while, but still.)

As some may know, I recently had the intake, pulley and ECU done by Randy, but my car didn't seem to "like" EVOTech's programming. It (eventually, with tweaking) gave me about 5 extra horsepower, but also gave a very lumpy torque-curve and a richer-than-stock AF ratio. (In the end I decided not to get the EVOTech, thank goodness Randy let me "try before I buy.&quot It sounds like the Powerchip solution might be perfect for what ails my car, but I'm still a little gun shy after my EVOTech, uh, experiance.

If I was to purchase the Powerchip, do before and after dynos, and not see "reasonable" improvements, do you suppose I could (once again) get a refund? (It seems like without Randy standing there watching, Powerchip would have no way to know whether I "kept" their software or not.)

Alternatively, I'd be willing to make a roadtrip to Santa Monica if the guys at Powerchip wanted to see what a "flakey" car was like, and whether they needed to make any special tweaks to undo whatever idiocy MINI has built into the stock programming. (I don't have the stumble however. Just the part throttle surging and the afore mentioned hyper-richness.) Would Powerchip be interested in this additional datapoint, or do you think they'd rather not bother with any further baseline testing?

-Dave

Old 08-08-2003, 09:20 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there any chance Powerchip might re-consider their cable policy? Repeatedly shipping cables costs them money, selling cables makes them money...
Not exactly. You pay for shipping!

Old 08-08-2003, 09:42 AM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You mentioned that so far, no car with the Powerchip programming exhibits surging or stumbling. Did any of those cars exhibit those symptoms before the reflash? Does the reflash in fact fix those issues?
Considering how popular the stumble post was, i would say this is a pretty good question.