Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain MINI-Motorsport/Powerchip ECU data

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 06:04 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More info on the new MINI-Motorsport software. To start off, a few answers to some of the common questions:

Q: Do I get to keep the cable?
A: No, but the cable is always available to the customer for upgrades, rewrites, or to return the car to stock.

Q: Are upgrades free?
A: Yes.

Q: Do I have to send you my ECU?
A: No, but it is an option if you would like to do it that way. Typically, you would place the order, and a Powerchip rep will contact you to set up the logistics of sending you a cable and Serial Programming kit.

Q: Do I have to have a laptop?
A: For the install, yes, but with a deposit, one will be sent to you from Powerchip if you need it.

Q: Will the dealer be able to see the upgrade?
A: Only if they take your car past the stock redline on the test drive. There is nothing in the analyzation software that the dealer uses that can detect the upgrade.

Q: Will the dealer erase my programming if they upgrade to the newest version from MINI?
A: Yes, but the rewrite doesn't cost you anything. You can also request that the dealer not give you the upgrade - you can tell them you are leary after hearing everything that has happened with the "upgrades" from MINI lately on the forums.

Q: Can't I just call up Powerchip for this upgrade?
A: No. Powerchip does have their own version for the MINI, but the version available is a result of the alliance that MINI-Motorsport and Powerchip Group have formed and results from hours and hours of joint development and shared knowledge. You can contact them and request the MINI-Motorsport version, however. I'd ask that you play nice and order it through me.

Q: Is the new software optimized for the pulley?
A: Yes. There are tweaks for adiabatic efficiency, supercharger limitations, A/F ratios, timing and throttle response mapping specific to the pulley, intake and exhaust - in short it was made for the Motorsport 200+ horsepower kit.

Q: Can it be modified for my specific mods?
A: To a degree - contact me for more details.

Here is a dyno plot done from the research phase. It is a little small to keep the dail up folks from growing beards while waiting for it to open. The red line represents the newest and greatest software, the green represents the car with "another brand" of software, and the blue is the baseline. In the green and red lines, the car has an intake, pulley, Mania header, and NRP exhaust beyond the ECU upgrades.

Also, during acceleration tests, we found the new software significantly better. Here are the test results:

2nd gear acceleration from 2000RPM to 7000RPM:

EVOTech software: 7.0 seconds
MINI-Motorsport/Powerchip software: 6.4 seconds

3rd gear acceleration from 2500RPM to 7000RPM

EVOTech software: 14.1 seconds
MINI-Motorsport/Powerchip software: 13.7 seconds

These tests were done using the average of ten runs, with the same fuel level, over the same stretch (slightly uphill), during the same day and atmospheric conditions.

The track results backed up these results. The test track used was Second Creek Raceway, a 1.8 mile, 11 turn course. While I'm no Michael Schumacher, my lap times are very consistent (good for test results). These lap times were on a HOT day, and they were done with the EVOTech/MINI-Motorsport software in the morning, and the MINI-Motorsport/Powerchip software at 11:30. It was about 10 degrees warmer during the latter times, but the times were still better (with track temps reaching 125F). These are average times, but the spread was only .3 seconds between the 6 times laps for each.

Track times

EVOTech/MINI-Motorsport ECU
1:22.3

MINI-Motorsport/Powerchip ECU
1:21.4

The cost for the upgrade is $690, and it is currently available. I carry this, as well as the box stock Powerchip upgrade for the standard S and the Cooper. The cost for both is the same as the Motorsport version.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Randy
720-841-1002

PS - I have been having issues with my mailbox as of late, and apologize for the inconvenience. We are working on establishing two lines and two numbers to accomodate more calls. Keep trying!

Old 08-06-2003, 06:20 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! :smile:

Old 08-06-2003, 06:23 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Randy... Good Stuff!

Old 08-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Antranik
4th Gear
A 6.4s run to 70mph+ in 2nd gear! Woooooo!

Thank you for extensively sharing with us the results with the aftermarket products. There are too many numbers thrown around in this industry that are usually a lot of hot air, so I appreciate the work you are doing greatly and wish you further success!

Old 08-06-2003, 06:41 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Actually, the other brand that I spec'ed and is in use on several of the Motorsport cars out there is also at a lower RPM than the "original" version of the EVOTech - which is why it was different from other vendor's versions.

The reason is even evident on the development chart above. See the dip in the curve after about 7300RPM? That's due to the sharp drop in adiabatic efficiency of the supercharger at that pressure. The roots type blower is very efficient, until you start making a lot of boost. Compressing the air also creates heat. When you get to the point of creating more heat than the additional boost is giving you power to compensate for, the unit is mismatched for the application. The way to avoid this is to optimize the operating range. Soooooo, the redline is because of the supercharger, but not because of physical limitations, more because of efficiecny limitations. There are a few other reasons as well...

Randy

Old 08-06-2003, 06:53 PM
jdw5155
2nd Gear
Okay Randy, is there any upgrade path (other than paying $690) for those of us who purchased the EVO ECU upgrade from you about two months ago? I know this is a different brand but I'm feeling pangs of buyers remorse having paid $700 only to find I'm immediately behind the curve.

Thanks,
Jim :???:

Old 08-06-2003, 07:13 PM
TomM
2nd Gear
Can you explain the fluctuations at the higher RPM's? Looks like there is more to be gained there.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:33 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
The fluctuations are there due to the heat of the day and the wonderful 91 octane California gas. The set up is optimized for specific variables, and all of it is a compromise. The stock software works under the same assumptions. You have to make a decision on where to make the adjustments and for what gains. I'm currently checking out some different spark plug options (that don't require you to remortgage your house) to get better results at the higher RPM range.

As far as the EVOTech guys, there are two things I'm hoping will offset this:

1. I've arranged a deal to have the MINI-Motorsport customers who have already paid for the original software to get a discount on the new stuff - it's $100 off for you (and that's the best I could do).

2. The Powerchip development has inspired some work on the part of EVOTech USA to redevelop new versions, so hopefully it will turn into a Fornula 1 style tire war. That upgrade may prove out to be as effective (or not) and would not cost you anything.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Randy

Old 08-06-2003, 07:37 PM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
I want to do 1:21's at SCR!! I'll be calling soon.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:49 PM
jdw5155
2nd Gear
Keep my name and email address in the distribution list when you announce EVO upgrades. Hopefully they'll be able to make upgrading a little easier than mailing my ECU to you in Denver. I can't afford to have my car out of commission a few days (or weeks if shipped via whatever carrier you used for my Ferodo 2500s)

Thanks,
Jim

Old 08-06-2003, 08:08 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
My eyes light up when Randy posts

Old 08-06-2003, 08:23 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
>>I want to do 1:21's at SCR!! I'll be calling soon.

My record there with the old pavement on a cooler day was 1:20.9

Old 08-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Albert
3rd Gear
AAaaaarggghh...

Also, any idea if Evotech will try to tweak throttle response like the Powerchip does?

Old 08-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Randy, When are you coming back to SoCal? I need to be ready for the powerchip

Old 08-06-2003, 10:29 PM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Randy what effect does this have on the MCS's stumble? Also can this chip be modified if say you have the shrick cam, and throttle body etc?

Great work and by the way i am loving my first mod-Madness Intake. Thanks :smile:

Old 08-07-2003, 04:14 AM
jlm
6th Gear
I have seen personally the 6200 torque dip on various minis with and without the pulley. I don't think it has to do with the blower.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:57 AM
SpoMini
3rd Gear
Oooooo... but do you have one for the MC yet? Are you going to? There are those MC drivers who like the sleeper aspect ofo ur car but crave the HPs . Please say yes you have one for the MC

Old 08-07-2003, 08:15 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
I do have one for the MC, but it is the stuff from Powerchip - I haven't been involved in the development. I do have access to it, but have no numbers for it.

The drop off in adiabaitc efficiency I am talking about does relate to the supercharger based on the full load characteristics chart from Eaton for the M45. The drop offs seen on the dyno can be separated, and the wavy lines are due to the factors I listed above.

As far as the stumble, to date there hasn't been a stumble on a car after the software and pulley have been installed. The software is modified based on the cam, head, throttle body, etc.

I know how frustrating it is to have something become obsolete overnight. The EVOTech is still very good software, and I do know that they are working on updates. I am also giving $200 off to all the folks who have gotten the software through me and want to switch to the Powerchip. That is a deal that I worked out with Powerchip; they are taking half the hit and I am taking half the hit. That is my cost, and after responding to an e-mail this morning about the situation, I think it is the best thing I can do. I hope that seems fair.

Randy

Old 08-07-2003, 10:17 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks Randy for offering the Powerchip switch ECO discount of $200 off.

Old 08-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Lakesands
2nd Gear
It seems everyone doing this kind of upgrade has a pulley. What does this do for a car with no pulley reduction or does it work at all for such a car? Thanks.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:23 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Good question.

The Powerchip group has developed software for the S without the pulley, and the Cooper. The S software from Powerchip is what I sell, along with the EVOTech, for cars without the pulley. Both make good power - the Powerchip has the throttle response mapping. The numbers are in the 8-12 horsepower range, which makes it a decent bang for the buck mod. The Cooper is available for $490 now, but I don't have the numbers on it (power wise).

Hope that helps!

Randy

Old 08-07-2003, 01:42 PM
jge1421
Neutral
Randy,

Forgive me if I am being dense, but if I were to purchase the Powerchip ECU software for the stock MCS, and then later added the pulley, intake, and/or exhaust upgrades, would I need to pay to have the ECU software modified to account for the new upgrades or would such software tweaks be included in the original price of the software?

Jeff

Old 08-07-2003, 01:55 PM
jlm
6th Gear
I agree completely that there is an RPM dependent efficiency of the blower, due to heat and due to the Roots vane design. This would show up as a net power drop at some engine point and be blower rpm dependent. If the stock blower pulley shows the dip at 6200 engine rpm, wouldn't you expect to see the same dip occur at 15% lower engine rpm (5300) with a 15% reduction pulley? This we did not see.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:13 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Yes, except that as I said earlier, the "wavyness" of the line isn't what I am talking about. It is a dip at 7300RPM with a pulley, so to see it on a normal car you would have to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 8400RPM. Again, it is based on the full oad performance characteristics chart supplied from Eaton. You'll have to trust me when I say that the adiabadic efficiency drops at 7300 dramatically enough to place the RPM limit lower than 7500. The gain just isn't there - and if it isn't, there really is no reason to go that high with the revs (even though valve float shouldn't occur with the stock springs until around 8200RPM).

If you would like to place the redline higher, that is no problem, Powerchip, EVOTech and I have just done quite a bit of research to determine where the right place is for the redline. Most folks don't want to take the car much past the stock redline anyway during normal driving (or even at the autocross or track).

Hope that helps!

Randy

Old 08-07-2003, 02:54 PM
jlm
6th Gear
Several of us have witnessed a distinct dip in the dyno torque curves at about 6200, with or without the pulley; not a waviness, but a dip. i mistakenly thought that was what youe were referring to. I have always been a believer in the "area under the torque curve, not peak power" school of thought. High rpm's require high states of mechanical tune to work and turbos, not blowers, Yippee for a 7200 redline.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain MINI-Motorsport/Powerchip ECU data