Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BOV

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008 | 03:07 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
This is what my car sounds like just with the Alta Intake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjRw4dNIoiw

Old 05-07-2008 | 04:40 PM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigjoeski08

So that is with just CIA and stock BOV right? BTW i love the use of blinkers in the vid

Last edited by BrandonH; 05-07-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2008 | 05:19 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigjoeski08

That is barely audbile when compared to the Forge BOV. I will see if the wife will let me take her car out tonight and I will get a vid clip

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:24 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SPDinNY
That is barely audbile when compared to the Forge BOV. I will see if the wife will let me take her car out tonight and I will get a vid clip
You obviously haven't heard the DIY K&N intakes yet.

Sounds like a turbo diesel truck the turbo is so loud...

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:54 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155

WhooossssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSHHH pssssht!

Not anymore though...

Funny side note, I was driving around with my friend in the car the other day, and she goes "haha why does your car sound like a bus??"

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:57 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
WhooossssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSHHH pssssht!

Not anymore though...

Funny side note, I was driving around with my friend in the car the other day, and she goes "haha why does your car sound like a bus??"

Old 05-07-2008 | 09:04 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Certainly not offended, just interested in information. 90% of the people out there that install BOV's do it for the PShtttttttt noise, and nothing more. There ARE legitimate reasons to install one, but all of my knowledge on that subject is based on reading.

I've never owned a turbocharged car, and honestly haven't spend much time researching the pro's and con's of swapping from a recirc valve to a VTA valve. I know it's a highly debatable subject (similar to the crank pulley debate). It just seemed that from the initial interest, most people wanted it for the noise. My post was clarifying that people understood that the same noise is present with the stock valve and an intake.

No harm no foul, just seeking to clarify .
Good points and true, some people want noise .... Thanks for your honesty !

Old 05-08-2008 | 07:02 AM
SPDinNY
5th Gear

What do you think we had on it before the Forge BOV?

Night and day difference.....

We have had the DIY CAI on it for over 9 months. Therefor you areobviously incorrect about your assumption

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN-r84co588

Last edited by SPDinNY; 05-08-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-08-2008 | 08:27 AM
6th Gear
What do you think we had on it before the Forge BOV?

Night and day difference.....

We have had the DIY CAI on it for over 9 months. Therefor you areobviously incorrect about your assumption

Thumper's car was a LOT louder than that with his CAI on.

Here's a decent example:

Here's a similar video, still sounded a lot louder in person.

Both of those sound louder than the video you posted...

Trust me, if I can hear his BPV over my exhaust (Easily 4x as loud as the stock R56 Exhaust), with music blasting, and the windows closed, it's REALLY loud

Fixed your video so it was embedded btw...

Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-08-2008 | 11:04 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Mine was attached directly to the MAF, with no 90-degree elbow...that makes it a lot louder. Until I find a silcone elbow, im staying with the stock intake.

Old 05-08-2008 | 03:32 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
LOL omg dude...mine is driving with the hood closed...his is with the HOOD open. Of COURSE it will be louder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoPDh_Vp2jg here is another I took today. Now I guess I will have to go open the hood and take one although I dont think the BOV will sound the same as there isnt as much boost.

Old 05-08-2008 | 03:48 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4SYRasdASg about 45 seconds in you will hear me getting on it.

And again rusty. We have BOTH the CAI and BOV. You have only heard a CAI. The BOV is way louder. Please stop talking like you know what you are talking about. Have you heard a Forge BOV on an R56 first hand? If not PLEASE stop saying the CAI is louder since your talking from your backside.

Last edited by SPDinNY; 05-08-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-08-2008 | 03:53 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
**deleted**

Last edited by SPDinNY; 05-08-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2008 | 10:55 PM
William Blake
4th Gear
LOL omg dude...mine is driving with the hood closed...his is with the HOOD open. Of COURSE it will be louder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoPDh_Vp2jg here is another I took today. Now I guess I will have to go open the hood and take one although I dont think the BOV will sound the same as there isnt as much boost.
how many miles is in on?

Old 05-09-2008 | 05:04 AM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
the Forge BOV has been on for about 1k miles. The CAI has been on about 10k

Old 06-16-2008 | 05:02 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
bov/air filter

Originally Posted by got.pho?
vrooom pshhhh! =]
So, I recently added both a Forge bov and the Alta foam air filter. Both worked fine for approximately 2 weeks, then one fine day, a fine *** girl tried racing me in her Scion tc. Any who, as we began to get on to the freeway, I put the heavy foot down and my car gasped for air and nearly died right there. I left things alone for the remainder of the week. That weekend, I took the filter off, remembering what I had read about the oil from the filter getting on the MAFS would have this affect. So, I cleaned the filter of any excess oil, but the problem persisted. I went yet another week listening and feeling the car out. By the weeks end I had realized that the dump valve was no longer whispering to me....pshhhhh! So I removed it, but only because one of the techs down the street at Turner Motorsport said the cars don't like to have the air they are suppose to be recirculating, blown off into the atmosphere. My engine light is on, and the car seems as though it's sucking air through a cocktail straw. I heard with the Cooper cars, even when you reset the default code it stays in the cars memory, so all your sins are right there for the dealer to see. Lastly, the car idles like doo doo! Any suggestions? I recently purchased Altas Unichip and the Flux, for added performance, but I don't want to add any more upgrades until I get this problem straightened out.

Old 06-16-2008 | 05:08 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stephano eaton
So, I recently added both a Forge bov and the Alta foam air filter. Both worked fine for approximately 2 weeks, then one fine day, a fine *** girl tried racing me in her Scion tc. Any who, as we began to get on to the freeway, I put the heavy foot down and my car gasped for air and nearly died right there. I left things alone for the remainder of the week. That weekend, I took the filter off, remembering what I had read about the oil from the filter getting on the MAFS would have this affect. So, I cleaned the filter of any excess oil, but the problem persisted. I went yet another week listening and feeling the car out. By the weeks end I had realized that the dump valve was no longer whispering to me....pshhhhh! So I removed it, but only because one of the techs down the street at Turner Motorsport said the cars don't like to have the air they are suppose to be recirculating, blown off into the atmosphere. My engine light is on, and the car seems as though it's sucking air through a cocktail straw. I heard with the Cooper cars, even when you reset the default code it stays in the cars memory, so all your sins are right there for the dealer to see. Lastly, the car idles like doo doo! Any suggestions? I recently purchased Altas Unichip and the Flux, for added performance, but I don't want to add any more upgrades until I get this problem straightened out.
Exactly why people shouldn't be running BOV's on their MINI's.

Old 06-16-2008 | 09:19 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
so your forge bov killed ur mini? =[

Old 06-17-2008 | 02:08 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Are you using the Forge blow-off spacer right?

I still haven't installed mine.. and this isn't helping

Keep us posted.

Old 06-17-2008 | 12:34 PM
torobud
4th Gear
I am REALLY skeptical about that diagnosis...

Old 06-17-2008 | 01:54 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
i have one... i havent had any problems, thats why i asked =]

Old 06-17-2008 | 05:46 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by William Blake
Are you using the Forge blow-off spacer right?

I still haven't installed mine.. and this isn't helping

Keep us posted.
The Mini, as it was explained to me, is nothing more than a rolling computer. Problem is I never realized how sensitive these cars are. I don't believe it was the bov, I think the excess oil got on the MASF, tripped the default sensor, and it will remain on until I either get the problem fixed (if it is the problem) or go to the dealer and have them reset it. The manual says the engine light will also come on if the gas cap is not on tight. It will also come on if there is an exhaust leak, I recently installed an Alta 3" turbo back system. So these are just a few examples of things that can activate that dash indicator. I haven't heard of any one else having any problems with the forge BOV. If I spent the money on a part, I'd try it out for sure. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but doesn't the Magnuson,Moss protect us. This states that the dealer has to without a doubt prove that the upgrades we install caused the problem that would void the warranty. Happy motoring

Old 06-17-2008 | 05:56 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
Nah, it didn't kill it, but you can feel that it zapped a bit of it's performance. I don't know about you, but I buy parts to increase, not decrease the performance of my ride!

Old 06-17-2008 | 06:25 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by morbius
Good points and true, some people want noise .... Thanks for your honesty !
You can definately hear it better though with an after market BOV. I like the sound and that was a big reason for me buying one, but the biggest reason for my purchasing this upgrade, is that when you read the advertisement for it, it explains how the R56 turbo Minis recirculate heated air, and we all know that heated air doesn't help performance. There was also mention of the damage that built up boost can cause the engine. So there were a few things that convinced me to purchase one. Read the ad for yourselves in North American Motoring's website. I fully intend to reinstall mine when I reset my default code. I may just reset it myself when I finally get my Unichip, and the Flux.

Old 06-17-2008 | 06:31 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by torobud
I am REALLY skeptical about that diagnosis...
If you have any ideas as to what else it could be, please lend me your advise. I came to this conclusion only after installing thse parts, and then having the problem. I did the process of elimination. First I tested the gas cap, and worked backward from there.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BOV