Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BOV

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008 | 08:00 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
HAHAHA

I love the people here that have a sense of humor!

Old 06-19-2008 | 08:02 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
Pgt seems to be the real winner in this arguement....
Thats all i can say.
Maby we need a teddybear fire extinguisher.

Old 06-19-2008 | 08:07 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cartar452
Exactly what I was thinking. If you use Co2 on your intercooler you should spray it from the front, not into the intake. Nitrous would work A LOT better for what you want to do.
NOS is good, it's expensive, and only good in short bursts. NOS increases the heat, not to mention premature detonation, and shortens the life of your engine, and will more than likely void your warranty when the dealer sees the system hooked up under your hood.
The Cryo2 system has a similar effect as NOS, without increasing engine temp, and it can be set to inject at whatever RMP you want. The AEM water/methanol system has a similar effect.
Cheap, I paid $400 for the set up, and you use washer fluid in it.
The water cools the intake charge temp, while the alcohol increases the octane of the mixture heading into the throttle. As I said, rather than losing some of the affectiveness of spraying it on the front of the IC, spraying it directly into the IC is that much more effective.
Look at the ads toward the back of any of those turbo mags, your bound to see the Cryo2 system.

Old 06-19-2008 | 08:13 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stephano eaton
NOS is good, it's expensive, and only good in short bursts. NOS increases the heat, not to mention premature detonation, and shortens the life of your engine, and will more than likely void your warranty when the dealer sees the system hooked up under your hood.
The Cryo2 system has a similar effect as NOS, without increasing engine temp, and it can be set to inject at whatever RMP you want. The AEM water/methanol system has a similar effect.
The water cools the intake charge temp, while the alcohol increases the octane of the mixture heading into the throttle. As I said, rather than losing some of the affectiveness of spraying it on the front of the IC, spraying it directly into the IC is that much more effective.
Look at the ads toward the back of any of those turbo mags, your bound to see the Cryo2 system.
I'm going to hope that you're either joking, or just "Out of it", about spraying washer fluid through your intake.

I'm not really sure.... just, wow. lol

I wish you luck...

Old 06-19-2008 | 08:14 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Dood...seriously, are you for real???

Not tryin to pick on you, but you can't be serious with this stuff you are saying.

And FYI the Cryo2 system is for OUTSIDE the I/C. They even make it a point to say that you should do everything in your power to make sure the CO2 does NOT get into the intake tract.

Old 06-19-2008 | 08:18 PM
big howe
5th Gear
Let it go boys, let it go. He'll report back on his findings.........

Old 06-19-2008 | 08:18 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by silversmoke06
Pgt seems to be the real winner in this arguement....
Thats all i can say.
Maby we need a teddybear fire extinguisher.
What is RMW? Is a header street legal, I mean will it pass emissions?
This RMW header will mate up to your Milltek.
I have the Alta 3" turbo back, and was considering the SuperSprint header.

Old 06-19-2008 | 08:22 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by big howe
Let it go boys, let it go. He'll report back on his findings.........
Yup...

Old 06-19-2008 | 08:22 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
What is RMW? Is a header street legal, I mean will it pass emissions?
This RMW header will mate up to your Milltek.
I have the Alta 3" turbo back, and was considering the SuperSprint header.
I want whatever you take man .

That has absolutely nothing to do with your original topic. But I'll answer for you...he has an R53...you have an R56. RMW is Revolution Mini Works, a tuner. The header is for an R53. The R56 does not have a "header", make sure you are looking for downpipes instead of headers for your car.

Oh, and if you have the Alta Turbo-Back then you already have an aftermarket downpipe...hence "turbo...back...."

Old 06-19-2008 | 09:40 PM
yellowbritishrocket
Banned
has anyone thought to try companies like HKS or Greddy...i mean if you wanna play around with BOV's you might want to go to one of the bigger JDM tuner's...plus the HKS SSQV and the Greddy Type RS are adjustable and have inserts and accessories to change the sound for those who want it for sound...i had a Type RS on my turbo civic and it was awesome...easy to adjust and sounded sick as well...they sell adapter collar's/sleeves for custom applications...if you have the adjustable one make sure you check at what psi it will release at because if its set up too high youll boost spike/surge and fry your engine or if you have it set too low then you wont build boost pressure and loose power
http://www.jscspeed.com/mini_r56/bov.htm
http://www.jscspeed.com/universal/bov/greddy_usbov.htm
http://www.jscspeed.com/universal/bov/hks_ubov.htm

Old 06-19-2008 | 10:31 PM
cartar452
Banned
Okay I know I don't have an R56 but it's the same idea. Look at the picture. I have a nitrous intercooler sprayer and nitrous injection into the intake. I've sprayed Co2 on the intercooler a few times and it worked pretty well. However, spraying Co2 into the intake would DECREASE power unlike nitrous. Either take our advice or go ahead and try it out for yourself. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2008 | 11:03 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cartar452
Okay I know I don't have an R56 but it's the same idea. Look at the picture. I have a nitrous intercooler sprayer and nitrous injection into the intake. I've sprayed Co2 on the intercooler a few times and it worked pretty well. However, spraying Co2 into the intake would DECREASE power unlike nitrous. Either take our advice or go ahead and try it out for yourself. Good luck!

Nice set up man!

I bet it gets the I/C nice and frigid .

Ohhh, and I like your huge air horns haha, how loud are they??

Old 06-19-2008 | 11:12 PM
cartar452
Banned
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Nice set up man!

lol thanks...they're pretty loud compared to the stock horn from what I can tell

Old 06-20-2008 | 06:16 AM
PGT
Banned
The R56 does not have a "header", make sure you are looking for downpipes instead of headers for your car.
the turbo directly mounts to the engine block?

Old 06-20-2008 | 08:48 AM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
the turbo directly mounts to the engine block?

Hey Pgt still loving those rims.
I think he is saying on a turbo car the "header" is actually called a "exhaust manifold". So it would be Manifold, Turbo, Down pipe or not

Old 06-20-2008 | 04:17 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear

That has absolutely nothing to do with your original topic. But I'll answer for you...he has an R53...you have an R56. RMW is Revolution Mini Works, a tuner. The header is for an R53. The R56 does not have a "header", make sure you are looking for downpipes instead of headers for your car.

Oh, and if you have the Alta Turbo-Back then you already have an aftermarket downpipe...hence "turbo...back...."
Your right Thumper, the R56 doesn't have a header, but in stock factory form, neither does the R53. They come with an exhaust manifold...Headers are after market, and as I said, Super Sprint does make one for the R56 turbo. I don't want just the downpipe( which I already have,) I want the header that attaches to the down pipe, so I can put on a larger Garrett turbo on it. Thanks for the info. So what you mean is Revolution does not make a header for the R56, but what I meant was, does the Milltek exhaust he has mate up to the Revo header?

Old 06-20-2008 | 04:21 PM
6th Gear
Your right Thumper, the R56 doesn't have a header, but in stock factory form, neither does the R53. They come with an exhaust manifold...Headers are after market, and as I said, Super Sprint does make one for the R56 turbo. I don't want just the downpipe( which I already have,) I want the header that attaches to the down pipe, so I can put on a larger Garrett turbo on it. Thanks for the info. So what you mean is Revolution does not make a header for the R56, but what I meant was, does the Milltek exhaust he has mate up to the Revo header?
RMW doesn't sell Miltek...

Old 06-20-2008 | 04:28 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear

Old 06-20-2008 | 04:33 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
I stand corrected on the header. That is a picture of your car, with NOS and Co2. Dude, that is one sweet ride. The dealer doesn't give you a hard time about the set up?

Old 06-20-2008 | 04:41 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
RMW doesn't sell Miltek...
I know RMW doesn't sell Miltek. What I wanted to know is, will they mate up properly. For exaple, maybe a Borla muffler may not mate up to say the Alta down pipe. Miltek is made across the pond isn't it?

Old 06-20-2008 | 04:48 PM
6th Gear
I know RMW doesn't sell Miltek. What I wanted to know is, will they mate up properly. For exaple, maybe a Borla muffler may not mate up to say the Alta down pipe. Miltek is made across the pond isn't it?
Your post asked "If the Miltek exhaust he has mates up to the RMW Header".

I'm not sure what you're asking or looking for. RMW doesn't make a "header' for the R56 yet, nor am I aware of any plans to release an exhaust manifold of any sort. There is a turboback (Catback/downpipe) in the works, but as far as I know it's still in "beta" testing. I'm unsure of any fitment scenarios at this point.

RMW's R53 header absolutely will not mate up to the R56 Catback (sorta what it sounds like you're asking). I have no idea where Miltek is made, never owned one, too quiet.

Sounds like you need to give Jan a call if you have all these questions, he's the best person to ask.

Lets get the thread back on topic.

BOV's!

Old 06-20-2008 | 05:46 PM
zach999
3rd Gear
going back to the BOV topic, can I play devil's advocate and hypothosize that the hot/compressed air that is recirculated back into the intake system will actually not net as much heat as you think.
As air is compressed it is heated, and as air expands it cools.
when you let off the accelerator the OEM recirc valve expels the excess boost (compressed air) back into the intake system which expands as it enters the intake system and cools off a little bit, theoretically removing some of the heat that it created.

Old 06-20-2008 | 06:51 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by noraa
why does the forge motorsport BOV look so much more different than the Alta BOv?
I wondered that very thing myself. Any one got an answer?

Old 06-20-2008 | 07:00 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
Nice set up man!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was theorizing whether or not it would work...you all set me straight.

Old 06-20-2008 | 07:12 PM
Exhaust Depot
Banned
From: Orlando, my house is in fortlauderdale and im originally from da bronx
Back on topic. The srt4 neon and the srt4 caliber (owned both) both have a surge valve/diverter valve etc (each manufacture uses a different name for it). Like hte mini, the surgevalve is built into the the turbo. I have had great results leaving the stock surge valve alone and bypassing the electronic control (it spools quicker) of it. I let it work only off of manifold pressure. I then go and put a real bov on the cold side (after its been chilled by teh intercooler) of the plumbing. Now you have a valve on both ends which allow you to dump the pressure in the the plumbing alot quicker. When you install a real bov (larger) you will notice a difference if you know what to look for, here is an example:Lets say your at WOT then shift, it takes say 300rpm for your boost to go back up to say 10psi. WHen you install an aftermarket bov and shift, youw ill notice yoru boost come back on in about 100rpm or so. A bov adds 0 power, it does give you boost sooner. 99.9% of people purchase a bov because of the sound and dont really know what a bov is for besides using the general term of "It prevents compressor surge."Here is a good article on how it works. Its mainly for neons but it applies to this too. You will notice that i call the mopar bov plate a ricer mod. Happy reading:http://www.exhaustdepot.net/bloffva101.html

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BOV