Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Water meth injection installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 03:06 PM
poskey
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water meth injection installed

Finished installing a trunk mount progressive system from coolingmist this weekend. Seems to have cured my pinging, detonation issues. I have it set to come on about 8 lbs boost and the tune control set to 4 or 5. I'm running the 50/50 mix right now but want to try more water and less meth. I've been doing lots of full throttle driving the last few days trying to "dial" it in and haven't used as much juice as I thought I would. When I get back to "normal" driving I don't see it using very much at all. I'll get back to ya on that. Installed a 17% pulley about a year ago and noticed a bit more pinging after the install. Also have a helix CAI, milltek cat back, 380 injectors and alta intercooler diverter. I had hoped the diverter would help but I don't think it did. I live in southwest OK and it gets hot here. I plan on getting a GIAC tune but didn't want to do it until I had the pinging under control because I was told the tune will bump the timing a bit.
Did lots of reading here before buying, so thanks to all the guys who have posted and helped me decide which system to get.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Luys
4th Gear
Originally Posted by poskey
Finished installing a trunk mount progressive system from coolingmist this weekend. Seems to have cured my pinging, detonation issues. I have it set to come on about 8 lbs boost and the tune control set to 4 or 5. I'm running the 50/50 mix right now but want to try more water and less meth. I've been doing lots of full throttle driving the last few days trying to "dial" it in and haven't used as much juice as I thought I would. When I get back to "normal" driving I don't see it using very much at all. I'll get back to ya on that. Installed a 17% pulley about a year ago and noticed a bit more pinging after the install. Also have a helix CAI, milltek cat back, 380 injectors and alta intercooler diverter. I had hoped the diverter would help but I don't think it did. I live in southwest OK and it gets hot here. I plan on getting a GIAC tune but didn't want to do it until I had the pinging under control because I was told the tune will bump the timing a bit.
Did lots of reading here before buying, so thanks to all the guys who have posted and helped me decide which system to get.
\

Nice,

Can you show to us pictures for the system ?

Old 05-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Nitrominis
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering which nozzle size and location did you choose. Also do you run a gauge to monitor the psi out of the pump? If so what are the real numbers with the nozzle you chose at full flow and voltage?

Old 05-25-2008, 03:22 PM
poskey
1st Gear
If somebody can walk me through posting pictures, I will post some. I do have a digital camera.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:25 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Where did you run your lines from the trunk?

Old 05-25-2008, 03:29 PM
poskey
1st Gear
followed the battery cable on the left side. But if I had to do it again would have ran with the brake lines on the right side.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:00 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Thanks...trying to figure out the best way to run the lines with mine!

Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 PM
grillhands
4th Gear
You are going to lose HP if you have it set that low. You'll be running way too rich. The 380s is enough to keep your car from leaning out but when you add the meth at 8psi you'll be super rich. The plugs will foul out when you accelerate hard and it will throw a code. Set it to about 13 to 15 psi and you won't have that problem. Injectors tend to run out of room at the top end so have the meth kit squirt then not at low rpms when it doesnt need it.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:23 PM
big howe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by grillhands
You are going to lose HP if you have it set that low. You'll be running way too rich. The 380s is enough to keep your car from leaning out but when you add the meth at 8psi you'll be super rich. The plugs will foul out when you accelerate hard and it will throw a code. Set it to about 13 to 15 psi and you won't have that problem. Injectors tend to run out of room at the top end so have the meth kit squirt then not at low rpms when it doesnt need it.
Actually I have the coolingmist progressive kit as well. I used to have a pinging issue at about 3000-4000 at part throttle and it cured it quite nicely. I had the tune switch set to 6 and the meth on around 8(maybe lower) and max at 13. I never had issues running rich, when Danny pulled the motor apart for the new head and such, it wasn't showing signs of running rich. At the time it was a stock JCW210. I agree that you can easily over do-it with these units but mine really helped the part throttle pinging. I can't attest that it helped the overall HP when stock, but I know it helps in the new configuration and it's not in the dyno I have posted

Old 05-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Nitrominis
Banned
Originally Posted by grillhands

He has not yet stated what nozzle size he is running. If you have had a problem with you meth fouling plugs I can assure you it is not because of running the system at low RPM's. Unless you are way below 40psi you experience some other issues? I run 35cc nozzles (4) direct port injection with a surflow 150max psi uncontrolled pump. The system runs 40psi at below boost level or normally aspirated all the time on a 60/40 mix. And 40 psi is not the best for good atomization to begin with but I have never had a plug fouling issue? My W/M regulator increases water psi at a rate of 1:1 with boost and bypasses the excess. And the max psi I can get with the surflow is 90psi @13.8 volts with my nozzle rating which is more then adequate up to 275 WHP. I am curious which code you would be referencing throwing? I am not trying to doubt what you are saying but I would tend to think you might consider a little fine-tuning on your W/M system if yours is experiencing what you are cautioning others about.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:48 AM
poskey
1st Gear
Originally Posted by big howe
Actually I have the coolingmist progressive kit as well. I used to have a pinging issue at about 3000-4000 at part throttle and it cured it quite nicely. I had the tune switch set to 6 and the meth on around 8(maybe lower) and max at 13. I never had issues running rich, when Danny pulled the motor apart for the new head and such, it wasn't showing signs of running rich. At the time it was a stock JCW210. I agree that you can easily over do-it with these units but mine really helped the part throttle pinging. I can't attest that it helped the overall HP when stock, but I know it helps in the new configuration and it's not in the dyno I have posted
Yeah, this was my problem. If i wait any longer to turn juice on it will still ping. But thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye on the plugs.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:37 AM
big howe
5th Gear
Yeah, this was my problem. If i wait any longer to turn juice on it will still ping. But thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye on the plugs.
Well, I cured my pinging problem when I had Jan tune the car, we had to take a little timing out of the part throttle midrange. My car was always a pinger from the factory but it was a strong car as well.
I'm going to log the OBD2 and some external sensors to see what's really going on and make new meth maps for my car(new controller) accordingly. If I do see the car pulling timing, which I don't think it is, I can address it.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:58 AM
poskey
1st Gear
I would much rather have Jan tune my mini then get a GIAC tune. He was in Dallas a few months back but I missed the boat on that one.
I am using the smallest nozzle coolingmist offers. I am also running one step colder plugs so I would think they will foul out quicker. I guess time will tell. I am also curious what code you are referring to. Cylinder misfire?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:11 AM
big howe
5th Gear
I would much rather have Jan tune my mini then get a GIAC tune. He was in Dallas a few months back but I missed the boat on that one.
I am using the smallest nozzle coolingmist offers. I am also running one step colder plugs so I would think they will foul out quicker. I guess time will tell. I am also curious what code you are referring to. Cylinder misfire?
I'm not sure what code grillhands is saying will happen. Typically, the ECU will see some enrichment and pull a little fuel back but you can flood the chamber if you over do it.

What nozzle size are you running? My kit shipped with two, the 380cc(6gph) and the 500cc(9gph). I actually bought the 250cc(3.9gph) and was running that with the tune set at 6 and it worked great. I ran the numbers and used some of the online calculators and the two that shipped were overkill for the HP levels we are running.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:09 AM
poskey
1st Gear
I'm not sure which nozzle I am running. I talked to the guy before I bought the kit and told him my application. He said the 2 nozzles he normally ships would probably be too big and substituted 2 smaller nozzles. Maybe the 50cc and the 90cc? In any case the small one seems to do the trick.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Bang110
5th Gear
I thought the water/meth was a system to spray on the IC to lower the temps. What you guys are talking about make it seem like it sprays into the intake or motor or something. Anyone mind giving a description of this system?
sorry for the noob question.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:46 AM
SteveS
4th Gear
I'm seriously thinking of the Coolingmist setup but just to run water, no meth. Have any of you run just water (to cool the charge and avoid pinging and the consequent enrichment and timing retardation). I have 239 hp and stock intercooler, with Jan's tuned ECU & head. I'm thinking it would be the same or better than a real expensive intercooler/laminova setup.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 AM
poskey
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Luys
\

Nice,

Can you show to us pictures for the system ?

Some pics in my gallery.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:36 AM
big howe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bang110
I thought the water/meth was a system to spray on the IC to lower the temps. What you guys are talking about make it seem like it sprays into the intake or motor or something. Anyone mind giving a description of this system?
sorry for the noob question.
If you are going to spary the outside of the intercooler you can probably get away with a lot cheaper system shooting just water.
We are spraying water and methanol into the intake stream(at 130psi) to cool and raise the octane on the intake. This has been discussed much on other threads, but the general consensus with many auto tuners and extensive testing on planes in WWII is a 50/50 mix works well.

Originally Posted by SteveS
I'm seriously thinking of the Coolingmist setup but just to run water, no meth. Have any of you run just water (to cool the charge and avoid pinging and the consequent enrichment and timing retardation). I have 239 hp and stock intercooler, with Jan's tuned ECU & head. I'm thinking it would be the same or better than a real expensive intercooler/laminova setup.
I have never run just water, as the 91 crap we have in Cali needs some help. See my ramblings above on the mix if you wish. If you don't want to run the good racing Meth, you can do the washer fluid thing, many guys do it and cheap. Just get the one without the detergents, and methanol as the main ingredient.
I think long term Jan's setup is the way to go, sometimes I like to try new things, and sometimes I'm an idiot and I take the long way around to get to the right spot. In other words, I'll probably have Jan's setup after a while. We'll see the results after I play with it for a while.

P.S. I have my install(well, pump placement) in another thread if interested.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=141375

Last edited by big howe; 05-26-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:04 PM
grillhands
4th Gear
I forgot what my nozzle is rated at but it's the one that coolingmist recommends for 200hp cars. If you look in my gallery the A/F chart is with the cooling mist and stock injectors and without the head. It dips into the 9s but comes back up because the injectors where topped out. When i adjusted it for a higher psi, the car feels completely different. Much stronger from 3-6k. Once Jan gets a hold of it i think the car will be much smoother.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Nitrominis
Banned
From what I am reading and looked at some of the other threads/posts there is some nice W/A and W/M set-ups. But in almost every case the pump psi in the system seems to be overlooked? Once you do the math to determine which nozzle size to use you then you should do the math on the pump and see if it can keep up with the demand. A Shurflow although nice has limitations. But is workable. As I said that I use one myself. The alternative is a very expensive pump. The pressure is the key to making water injection work at its best. Higher is better. On other thing to consider is placement of the nozzles. The direct is the best but it is a challenge to get it plumbed. The second best place is in the intake manifold closer to the bypass valve or if you can beyond it. The placement in the blower horn tends to cause pudding at low RPM without high psi. but is the most common and easiest mounting location. NOS sucks mounting the jets there as well ! The best atomization of the mixture is better closer to the intake port going into the combustion chamber.