Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OBX Catback

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008 | 11:19 AM
fcoopers
|
Neutral
OBX Catback

Hello,
I have the OBX header and I want to buy the Catback.
What do you thinks about it and have you any photos

Old 05-27-2008 | 01:38 PM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
search username "Bahamabart". He is the only one I know that fits your requirements.

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:35 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Here is my original review and a thread on the OBX Catback.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=50963

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...uct/117/cat/33

Still running both the OBX header and the OBX Catback. System has mellowed nicely and have had no problems since installed.

If you got any questions after reading the above links - drop me a line.

Last edited by Bahamabart; 05-28-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2008 | 12:55 AM
heyitzsushiboi
4th Gear
where and when did you purchase your header? i've been looking high and low for one!

Old 05-29-2008 | 07:11 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by heyitzsushiboi
where and when did you purchase your header? i've been looking high and low for one!
OBX headers are commonly found on Ebay. Helix also offers the OBX header and with a cat already graphed on to make the process easy.

Old 05-29-2008 | 07:38 AM
curv872
4th Gear
Got mine here:
SparktecMotorsports

Old 05-29-2008 | 01:11 PM
heyitzsushiboi
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
OBX headers are commonly found on Ebay. Helix also offers the OBX header and with a cat already graphed on to make the process easy.
ever since i wanted to pull the trigger on the obx they suddenly disappeared off ebay... strange! but thanks for helix and sparktec i'll check them both out!

Old 05-30-2008 | 05:35 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
ever since i wanted to pull the trigger on the obx they suddenly disappeared off ebay... strange! but thanks for helix and sparktec i'll check them both out!
W/ Helix you eliminate the fabrication portion of the cat to header. If you have a good shop that can mount the header and then cut old cat off and weld on the flange then your fine. The weld should be SS.

If your going to do this - print the pics showing the cat graphed for your installer - makes things easier. Also mount the header and then measure distance between header and your exhaust system. Its important that the made up piece fit correctly. Too long and it will push your exhaust tips out the back and place additional pressure on the donut flange. Too short and it will pull your exhaust tips in and add pressure to the donut flange. Also make sure to double nut or use copper nuts on the spring loaded donut connection point or they will come loose and you will be back under the car.

the old obx threads lay out all of the little things that could cause you a problem. This is the value of NAM for you learm all of the little pit falls. I followed all of the recommendations and have had no problems w/ the OBX header.

Old 05-30-2008 | 01:58 PM
heyitzsushiboi
4th Gear
W/ Helix you eliminate the fabrication portion of the cat to header. If you have a good shop that can mount the header and then cut old cat off and weld on the flange then your fine. The weld should be SS.

If your going to do this - print the pics showing the cat graphed for your installer - makes things easier. Also mount the header and then measure distance between header and your exhaust system. Its important that the made up piece fit correctly. Too long and it will push your exhaust tips out the back and place additional pressure on the donut flange. Too short and it will pull your exhaust tips in and add pressure to the donut flange. Also make sure to double nut or use copper nuts on the spring loaded donut connection point or they will come loose and you will be back under the car.

the old obx threads lay out all of the little things that could cause you a problem. This is the value of NAM for you learm all of the little pit falls. I followed all of the recommendations and have had no problems w/ the OBX header.
thanks bahamabart! last question- is a flex pipe necessary, since it doesn't come on the obx unit or on the cat side?

Old 05-30-2008 | 02:38 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
thanks bahamabart! last question- is a flex pipe necessary, since it doesn't come on the obx unit or on the cat side?
The flex joint that comes w/ the OBX is the DONUT and spring loaded connection. This is an old school design but it works just fine. Several here have had donut failures and have opted to use the new style flex joint.

If set-up properly they work just fine. I referenced earlier the importance of measuring the space between header and exhaust. This is the space you fill w/ the cat and it needs to fill that space - not pulling or pushing on the exhaust. I suggest to everyone - go w/ the donut and see how it goes. If it fails replace, if it doesn't you got some change for another mod.

Old 05-30-2008 | 03:28 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
I was wondering how they preform. I will be putting mine on soon. I'll post how it goes.

Old 05-30-2008 | 04:11 PM
Beminicoop
1st Gear
it is not an actual CATBACK you must use part of your stock exhaust the resinator will be used off the stock exhaust

Old 05-30-2008 | 04:11 PM
Beminicoop
1st Gear
that is why it is priced in the 300 to 200s because it is not a real catback.

Old 05-30-2008 | 05:04 PM
markp
Rush "Roll the Bones"
I have both but only the exhaust on as of now.. I did not use the resonator from the old unit so it has a louder note...But a good deep note with quite a bit of burbble... The only problem was, the weld broke in only a week that held the two rear tips together.(not a real problem though)

Old 05-31-2008 | 06:32 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Beminicoop
it is not an actual CATBACK you must use part of your stock exhaust the resinator will be used off the stock exhaust
Correct it is not a real catback.

You re-use the stock straight pipe NOT the resinator.

Old 05-31-2008 | 06:38 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by markp
I have both but only the exhaust on as of now.. I did not use the resonator from the old unit so it has a louder note...But a good deep note with quite a bit of burbble... The only problem was, the weld broke in only a week that held the two rear tips together.(not a real problem though)
When installing, I found that piece to be weak as well and like you said no big deal for I had a piece welded on to strengthen it. I ended up buying a used Super Sprint (SS) viper tip. SS makes 4 tips that will fit the OBX system but they are expensive.

Old 05-31-2008 | 06:46 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by El_Griton
I was wondering how they preform. I will be putting mine on soon. I'll post how it goes.
while dynos vary, ect..... most have found 2-4 hp gain and 8-10 lbs of TQ. The design 4-2-1 is more of a mid range TQ adder. I found it moved my peak TQ about 400 revs sooner. Most noticed a SOP improvement from a daily driver perspective.

When you install - definetly spend the time to ensure port match up. Mine matched up pretty good and I did not need to tweak.

Old 05-31-2008 | 09:11 AM
fcoopers
|
Neutral
Hello Bahamabart,

Have you any video or sound of your exhaust!!
Thanks

Old 06-01-2008 | 05:46 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fcoopers
Hello Bahamabart,

Have you any video or sound of your exhaust!!
Thanks
sorry I don't (sound clips never reflect the real sound of a system).

In the spirit of helping out however you can call me on my cell and I will take you for a ride so to speak. If this is of interest drop me a PM w/ you number.

Old 06-09-2008 | 08:38 AM
MINI_pocket_rocket
2nd Gear
Hey Guys, I just got My OBX exhaust from eBay.

I'm wondering if anybody would be interested in an install turorial/pics? It involves cutting the stock system so it's not just a bolt on. I'm gonna be putting it in tonight or tomorrow. If so drop me a line and I'll post 'em up when i do it.

Old 06-09-2008 | 09:06 AM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
W/ Helix you eliminate the fabrication portion of the cat to header........the old obx threads lay out all of the little things that could cause you a problem. This is the value of NAM for you learm all of the little pit falls. I followed all of the recommendations and have had no problems w/ the OBX header.
Anybody here running the Helix version of the OBX with the Random Technologies Cat??? Seems like a really sweet setup and not too bad of a price for $500ish. I know Random Tech makes really nice cats, just wanted to know if Helix took the time to ensure fitment was no problem as far as length etc.

Steve