Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Does anyone have these yet....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008 | 11:42 AM
matty125
|
5th Gear
Does anyone have these yet....

I am wondering if anyone has triedout these new coils. What do you guys think. I love to hear from some Profi's.
http://www.jscspeed.com/mini_r56/eng...sma_direct.htm

Old 05-30-2008 | 03:50 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
yeah i would like to know more about these things as well. they better add some ponys for the money that you would be paying for them.

Old 05-30-2008 | 05:11 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
same here

Old 05-30-2008 | 05:33 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
I am wondering if anyone has triedout these new coils. What do you guys think. I love to hear from some Profi's.
http://www.jscspeed.com/mini_r56/eng...sma_direct.htm
Oy... not these again. RMW is running 600 wHP through the STOCK Coilpack. You DON'T need to upgrade your coilpack!

Old 05-30-2008 | 05:55 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
Oy... not these again. RMW is running 600 wHP through the STOCK Coilpack. You DON'T need to upgrade your coilpack!
600?!?

Old 05-30-2008 | 07:51 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155

the idea behind the coilpacks isnt that you need them with a higher hp engine... its saying you get more power out of your engine using them.

im not saying this claim is true or not but you need to rethink your post.

Old 05-31-2008 | 10:45 AM
matty125
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
the idea behind the coilpacks isnt that you need them with a higher hp engine... its saying you get more power out of your engine using them.

im not saying this claim is true or not but you need to rethink your post.
So let me be dumb for a second....We all know that the R56 S runs rich. There is various factors contributing to this, but wouldnt a hotter spark help burn more equalling less blackened exhaust tips. More burnt gas means more power, right?

Old 05-31-2008 | 11:41 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I'm perhaps dumber than anyone when it comes to understanding the dynamics of what goes on within a combustion chamber... but seems to me, either the fuel/air mix ignites, or it doesn't. If it ignites, it's gonna burn to the extent that the mix allows (i.e. is there too little oxygen for the amount of fuel (rich) or too much (lean). Either the spark works, or it doesn't. Period. In my humble, unedumucated-on-this-topic opinion.

Pour a little gasoline in a pan sometime, light a match, and try to burn just half of it.

Last edited by BlimeyCabrio; 05-31-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2008 | 12:55 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
So let me be dumb for a second....We all know that the R56 S runs rich. There is various factors contributing to this, but wouldnt a hotter spark help burn more equalling less blackened exhaust tips. More burnt gas means more power, right?
rich is too much fuel for the air given....having more spark will not make up for no air.

All the spark that is needed already exists.

Old 05-31-2008 | 02:07 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Rich?? Not the ones I've seen...

R53's run real rich...but not R56's...thanks to Direct Injection...they run oddly lean...

Old 05-31-2008 | 02:19 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
i guess the question is will a hotter spark ignite the fuel faster.

at higher rpms it is possible for the fuel to not burn completely before the exhaust valves open. This is usually combated by advancing the timing.

Old 06-01-2008 | 05:14 AM
matty125
|
5th Gear
Well I regularily have to wash my exhaust tips. However I would assume its because my foot is always to the floor most of the time. Travelling the Autobahn I use 6 gear everyday and use it to accelerate at speeds above 120mph. So given the condition is it fair to think thhats why Im running rich? Actually now that I think about it, it does blow a puff of carbon when I first start her in the morning,

Old 06-01-2008 | 05:16 AM
CDMINI
5th Gear
More Snake oil!

Old 06-01-2008 | 06:50 AM
matty125
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CDMINI
More Snake oil!
can you explain what you are trying to say?

Old 06-01-2008 | 07:45 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
He's trying to say that coilpacks do NOT make more power. Having a stronger spark, or, for that matter, multiple repeating sparks, does not improve anything about the way an engine runs. The one way in which replacing the coilpack COULD make more power is IF your OEM coil has corrosion on one or more of the connectors - it takes about 10 seconds to check.

These ignition "upgrades" and colored wires are like the Turbonator. Cute theory that sounds "reasonable" to the ignorant, but has no impact in practice except to enrich the seller.

Believe me, if there were any advantage in doing so, Detroit would paint their ignition coils red too...

Last edited by OldRick; 06-01-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2008 | 09:54 AM
matty125
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by OldRick
He's trying to say that coilpacks do NOT make more power. Having a stronger spark, or, for that matter, multiple repeating sparks, does not improve anything about the way an engine runs. The one way in which replacing the coilpack COULD make more power is IF your OEM coil has corrosion on one or more of the connectors - it takes about 10 seconds to check.

These ignition "upgrades" and colored wires are like the Turbonator. Cute theory that sounds "reasonable" to the ignorant, but has no impact in practice except to enrich the seller.

Believe me, if there were any advantage in doing so, Detroit would paint their ignition coils red too...
good explanation, it seems odd however every motorsports car especially drag use aftermarket coils. I value everyones opinion it just seems odd that there is such a market for ignition coils like msd and so on, Snake oil, thats awesome never heard that before

Old 06-01-2008 | 12:08 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
good explanation, it seems odd however every motorsports car especially drag use aftermarket coils. I value everyones opinion it just seems odd that there is such a market for ignition coils like msd and so on, Snake oil, thats awesome never heard that before
everyone uses aftermarket parts if they want aftermarket sponsor money.
remember splitfire spark plugs, or slick 50 oil additive, ...

The oem coilpacks are more then up to the task and if realoem/pelicanparts are right, they're only worth about $33 each, so it's not even worth 'upgrading' if you were to have a failure. Modern electronic coilpacks just aren't like a old shared coil.

Old 06-06-2008 | 01:16 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
There aren't any charts or anything to show gains. I emailed the company.

Old 06-15-2008 | 09:11 PM
Lost
1st Gear
Snake oil, thats awesome never heard that before
Serious?

How old are you? Generational thing maybe?

Old 06-26-2008 | 09:20 PM
JollyRodger
2nd Gear
ok now for the actual reason you would use coil packs, they produce a larger spark, which in a turbo charged vehicle is needed at high boost levels because of the increased compression, you get spark blow out... like blowing out a match...thus bigger coils for a bigger spark....usually combine with a range cooler spark plug than factory so that you don't get pre-detonation in your engine.

Old 06-26-2008 | 09:49 PM
Exhaust Depot
Banned
From: Orlando, my house is in fortlauderdale and im originally from da bronx
A hotter spark prevents blow out when your running high boost. A hotter spark also helps burn the full mixure in the cyl. Believe it or not but it does not always fully burn (assuming you did not bounce off the rev limiter, ever see flames come out of a tailpipe after a shift?)

Also there is a trick called Indexing your plug. Thats when you put shims on your plug so that the ground strap is pointing towards the exhaust valve. Beleive it or not t his yeilds some more TQ because of hte better burn.

Old 06-26-2008 | 09:52 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Ok so let's say for arguments sake these coils make more power, could they possibly make $600 worth of more power? The gains would be minimal surely?

Old 06-26-2008 | 09:57 PM
Exhaust Depot
Banned
From: Orlando, my house is in fortlauderdale and im originally from da bronx
I dont think you will see much of a difference with it. At the most maybe a smoother idle if you have a poor idle ot begin with.

If you raise your boost up high and run that alta turbo setup and have extra loot lying around maybe yeah.

Old 06-27-2008 | 01:57 PM
luckyduck
2nd Gear
I heard when indexing the plugs you want the gap facing the intake valve so the spark isn't shielded from the incoming mixture by the strap. This may be six of one and half a dozen of the other, either way the ground strap is not facing the intake valve.

Does indexing plugs have the same effect on a DI motor?

I think if you ran enough crazy high boost a hotter coil would help but then you wouldn't be driving on the street at that point.

Old 09-13-2012 | 03:01 PM
howieschoon
2nd Gear
When you index your plugs, you want an opening (not the ground strap) pointed at a quench area. With a DI engine, I would think you would want the opening to face the injector. Gains would likely be minimal but if you check your plugs in different cylinders and put the ones that fit the best in their respective cylinders, it doens't cost anything but a little time.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Does anyone have these yet....