Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Not Happy with Alta Tech Support and Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008 | 03:16 PM
jaridp
4th Gear
I bet I have sent well over 50 clients over to alta and havent hear of any problems. There will always be a few that fall thru the cracks but I personally havent heard of any negative things with alta.

Old 06-03-2008 | 04:03 PM
Jim_Shorts
Neutral
Hey, Stuff happens. I had an issue with an Alta 2.5" Exhaust a year ago and was contacted by Adam regarding my issue. I had no idea who Adam was he was a guy that worked for Alta on the other end of the phone. Regardless of any issue I had with the exhaust I had need to purchase other equipment for my MINI and because of the call from Adam I decided to order my new parts from Alta...why not? Their Customer Service seemed to me to be on top of things, at least the fella, Adam, I spoke to seemed somewhat knowledgable and acted concerned.
Is it possible that something fell through the crack, but eventually got sorted out?
I did the springs on my car as well and I did read on this web site that a spring compressor is not required. It's possible there are people out there that would remove the springs without a spring compressor, but not me. I did the rear springs on my 914-6 years ago without a spring compressor and ended up going to the doc in the box. When confronted with springs this time I went to a well know Chinese Tool retailer and spent $13.00 for a dandy set of spring compressors. If I only use them four times they paid for themselves as far as I'm concerned. At least I didn't end up in the Emergency Room and that's a bonus.
I've owned my 2003 MCS for almost a year now, know a lot more about it now than I did back when I bought it. I've spent a lot of time doing research on NAM and talking to Adam with what I've found later may have been stupid questions, but he's always been very helpful with me and very knowledgable about his products and MINI's in general.
Alta and Perrin may be a lot larger than we imagine and when something screws up we tend to take it very personally. I bet Alta has procedures for returning things as well and I always call to get an RMA number when I return something to any vendor...could that have been an issue here?

Last edited by Jim_Shorts; 06-03-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-2008 | 04:55 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by kgardnez
Adam,

You have a good thing going and a terrific attitude, check your PM for some suggestions on turning these hurdles into business accelerators.
THANK YOU! I appreciate it. Read it and will get back to you shortly. Thanks again!

Old 06-03-2008 | 04:58 PM
Tampa MCS
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jim_Shorts
Hey, Stuff happens. I had an issue with an Alta 2.5" Exhaust a year ago and was contacted by Adam regarding my issue. I had no idea who Adam was he was a guy that worked for Alta on the other end of the phone. Regardless of any issue I had with the exhaust I had need to purchase other equipment for my MINI and because of the call from Adam I decided to order my new parts from Alta...why not? Their Customer Service seemed to me to be on top of things, at least the fella, Adam, I spoke to seemed somewhat knowledgable and acted concerned.
Is it possible that something fell through the crack, but eventually got sorted out?
I did the springs on my car as well and I did read on this web site that a spring compressor is not required. It's possible there are people out there that would remove the springs without a spring compressor, but not me. I did the rear springs on my 914-6 years ago without a spring compressor and ended up going to the doc in the box. When confronted with springs this time I went to a well know Chinese Tool retailer and spent $13.00 for a dandy set of spring compressors. If I only use them four times they paid for themselves as far as I'm concerned. At least I didn't end up in the Emergency Room and that's a bonus.
I've owned my 2003 MCS for almost a year now, know a lot more about it now than I did back when I bought it. I've spent a lot of time doing research on NAM and talking to Adam with what I've found later may have been stupid questions, but he's always been very helpful with me and very knowledgable about his products and MINI's in general.
Alta and Perrin may be a lot larger than we imagine and when something screws up we tend to take it very personally. I bet Alta has procedures for returning things as well and I always call to get an RMA number when I return something to any vendor...could that have been an issue here?
I had an RMA and followed the process. It's all good. Like I said, I just wanted to share my experience. Thanks for all of the comments. I'll be taking my business to another vendor.

Old 06-03-2008 | 05:07 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Tampa MCS
The funny thing is that I did email you about the plugs and belt, but you just stated that it was kind of strange and left it at that (if it helps I can post the email). This post and the replies I received are proof that this is NOT an isolated case and I was really hoping that you would use this info to better things.
Again, I apologize if you felt I or my staff was unhelpful. Never our intent and it is strange. We use those belts and plugs in our own cars, as well as our local and national installations (events etc.) and we don't have those types of issues. Doesn't mean that wasn't an issue, doesn't mean we didn't care etc. There are variances in the range on tensioners and in some cases even the properly sized belt could not work, or in some cases the mfr. of the belt made a boo boo.

I am not defending my or my staffs actions, just saying to err is unfortunately human and we make mistakes. I can say that with our ever growing clientèle in both the ALTA and PERRIN lines we are making internal changes to help minimize all of them.

PGT: I don't want to bring up too many dead horses, BUT lets both say that the swaybar event was a LONG time ago, changes were made to that bar set to help appease the LGT guys even though we found other causes of the conflicts. We always and totally agree that suspension parts contacting each other is way less than ideal. As with all of our dealings I will keep this professional and respectfully agree to disagree. Your opinion here and in other forums is certainly valid though. No discredit there. You can and do bring in many cases very meaningful information. Lets again not get that lost.

Thanks folks!

Old 06-03-2008 | 06:00 PM
PGT
Banned
I typed out a long reply, but let's leave it at this - designing a product that could cause suspension failure or loss of control is never a sound business decision (and no, there were no 'other factors' to pin this on).

Old 06-03-2008 | 08:43 PM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
..and is the CARB certification for the CAI ever going to happen? I have heard ALTA saying it will be in the next few months for several years.

Old 06-04-2008 | 11:28 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Larry Clemens
..and is the CARB certification for the CAI ever going to happen? I have heard ALTA saying it will be in the next few months for several years.
Thanks for the post. I hope that I replied to your previous comment in the Q&A thread to the same effect, but all plans are on hold until certain obstacles can be worked through. (Nothing with the part at all! 100% having to do with logistics in CA to get it done.)

Wanna volunteer your car to be used for testing?

Old 07-18-2008 | 07:13 AM
Tampa MCS
|
2nd Gear
The problems continue...

After I installed the Alta springs, I started feeling a strong vibration coming from the front end. After many weeks of research, I found tons of problems with the Atla and H&R springs. I switched to the TSW springs and all problems are gone. I am sad to report that Adam at Alta is blaming the issue on anything but the product once again. Glad to see such a great company stand behind their products.

I guess you live and learn...

Old 07-18-2008 | 07:16 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Quote:
Nice try...but it's NOT an install issue. I guess some people willl never admit that there is a problem even though the proof is right in their face. This is one of the many reasons why I will stear clear of Alta in the future. I like companies that stand behind their products and don't try and make their customers look like their incompetent.

Oh poop-sticks! That isn't my insinuation at all. I keep trying to get through to you that WE CAN NOT DUPLICATE THIS PROBLEM with H&R Springs, ALTA/H&R Springs, CROSS Coilovers, H&R Coilovers, ETC. ETC. THAT IS NOT TO SAY THAT YOU AND OTHERS HAVE NOT HAD AN ISSUE!!! Never even implied that! Sheesh.

BUT, I do want to find out how to resolve the issue. Without a car in my shop that is having the problem, how can I possibly work toward a solution? PLUS this isn't an "ALTA" problem, others mention concerns with OTHER brands of springs as well, Eibach, MACH V and others. SO why are you all over my backside about this?

You as a member of this collective community are more than entitled to your opinion etc. but you are also responsible for helping ALL of us NAM folks to work together to solve problems or concerns with the vehicles we all love, in this case the MINI.

I NEVER once blamed you, or gave you any reason not to recommend our products or our service. I am GLAD you got this resolved.

IF I CAN HELP YOU IN THE FUTURE THE OFFER STILL STANDS TO DO SO!

Old 07-18-2008 | 08:24 AM
Jim_Shorts
Neutral
YIKES, I don't get it. I've got a "used car", a 2003 MCS, with close to 40K on the odometer when I installed my H&R lowering springs, jacked up in my driveway with hand tools on the hottest day of the year and don't have a vibration. Took it all apart and installed new camber plates, put it back together and still no vibration. Installed PowerFlex bushings and now I have a vibration at idle, but it goes away when I get on the gas. I recently installed tires and wheels and had the tires balanced and the car aligned, I'm not suffering with any rotational vibration. Hummmmm
Jim_Shorts

Old 07-18-2008 | 05:05 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
The problems continue...

After I installed the Alta springs, I started feeling a strong vibration coming from the front end. After many weeks of research, I found tons of problems with the Atla and H&R springs. I switched to the TSW springs and all problems are gone. I am sad to report that Adam at Alta is blaming the issue on anything but the product once again. Glad to see such a great company stand behind their products.

What was the problem? I had a biggie vibration coming from my driver's front end. At first I thought it was the driver's spring and strut. I stripped it and re-aligned the spring pad. That didn't solve the prob so I took it to MINI and they diagnosed it as a faulty wheel bearing! It was replaced under warranty!

Note: I'm only running the ALTA springs with stock struts.

Jeremy

Old 07-18-2008 | 08:59 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jhiggs26
What was the problem? I had a biggie vibration coming from my driver's front end. At first I thought it was the driver's spring and strut. I stripped it and re-aligned the spring pad. That didn't solve the prob so I took it to MINI and they diagnosed it as a faulty wheel bearing! It was replaced under warranty!

Note: I'm only running the ALTA springs with stock struts.

Jeremy
Interesting! Thanks for the post! Good things for us all to ponder!

Old 07-18-2008 | 09:20 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Not sure what the big deal is. I had my MINI smogged with the Alta CAI using the smog checking service across from the Culver City DMV. I was at the DMV registering my out of state MINI, they said I need it smogged--I drove across the street--literally--out the parking lot, across traffic, and into the smog checking place. It passed with flying colors.

Originally Posted by Larry Clemens

Old 07-19-2008 | 07:40 AM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
PLUS this isn't an "ALTA" problem, others mention concerns with OTHER brands of springs as well, Eibach, MACH V and others. SO why are you all over my backside about this?
Even a quick search on the "Suspension" forum for R50/R53 will show that many owners that have replaced their springs have experienced some vibrations i their front ends. Some have fixed this by replacing CV joints, others have fixed this with visits to the Dealers (not my suggestion).
Lots of ideas have been fielded, not a lot of solutions have been generally proven to work for everyone concerned.
THIS IS NOT ALTA'S ISSUE!
It's some owner's issues - not everyone that lowers their Mini has this problem.
I for one haven't faced this problem though I have lowering springs, Konis and Ireland plates.
Be fair and do some research.

Old 07-19-2008 | 08:32 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
I could have sworn that Randy said that the 539 belt was correct for the 15% in a thread a while back. I told Eric at Helix that I picked up a 539 belt for my 15% as well and he said that is what they recommend. I hate putting words in peoples' mouths, especially vendors, but I don't think I was wrong twice!

Old 07-19-2008 | 08:55 AM
cmr076
2nd Gear
The problems continue...

please tell me these are not the springs i just purchased from you....

Old 07-19-2008 | 09:18 AM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cmr076
It's a casual Saturday morning and watching TV while looking over the interesting NAM threads.

Your post is like the surprise ending to a movie. It's interesting on so many levels.

Can't wait for the response from this NAM member on appearing to have sold the springs to you.

Old 07-19-2008 | 10:27 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MichaelSF
It's a casual Saturday morning and watching TV while looking over the interesting NAM threads.

Your post is like the surprise ending to a movie. It's interesting on so many levels.

Can't wait for the response from this NAM member on appearing to have sold the springs to you.
Ouch, return to sender....

Jeremy

Old 07-20-2008 | 10:05 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cmr076
Lets do this. Even if this guy sold you the ALTA by H&R Springs, and he had an issue with them, send me a few pics of them before you put them on the car.

Then I can let you know if there is anything wrong, out of place or otherwise odd about them. Assuming they are good, put em in following my instructions. If you have a problem, I will give you instore credit against the purchase price of the springs EVEN THOUGH YOU GOT THEM USED!

How about that for customer service and standing behind my products?

ALTA FTW!

Old 07-20-2008 | 10:05 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by pberry51mini
Even a quick search on the "Suspension" forum for R50/R53 will show that many owners that have replaced their springs have experienced some vibrations i their front ends. Some have fixed this by replacing CV joints, others have fixed this with visits to the Dealers (not my suggestion).
Lots of ideas have been fielded, not a lot of solutions have been generally proven to work for everyone concerned.
THIS IS NOT ALTA'S ISSUE!
It's some owner's issues - not everyone that lowers their Mini has this problem.
I for one haven't faced this problem though I have lowering springs, Konis and Ireland plates.
Be fair and do some research.
Thank you for giving an independent account of what I was trying to say before! Thank you!

Old 07-20-2008 | 10:08 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI

ALTA FTW!

Old 07-22-2008 | 04:31 AM
koulis
Neutral
dear ALTA

it seems that making laughs about the others problems is a nice way to overcome dissatisfaction,isn't it?

making good products is something you are good at, as good as being diplomatic.....

but your customer support is not good whether you like it or not....

i have contacted you several times and i have almost pleased you to send me staff in greece but everytime you answer that we have a local dealer there. although i have told you that i am not willing to pay double price (because this is the price your local dealer charges) you are willing to help me.

you dont answer to me, or even if you do, you continiously mention your dealer.

i will not allow me self to be fooled and pay double price .no matter your behaviour.

Old 07-22-2008 | 06:40 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Old 07-22-2008 | 06:52 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by koulis
dear ALTA

it seems that making laughs about the others problems is a nice way to overcome dissatisfaction,isn't it?

making good products is something you are good at, as good as being diplomatic.....

but your customer support is not good whether you like it or not....

i have contacted you several times and i have almost pleased you to send me staff in greece but everytime you answer that we have a local dealer there. although i have told you that i am not willing to pay double price (because this is the price your local dealer charges) you are willing to help me.

you dont answer to me, or even if you do, you continiously mention your dealer.

i will not allow me self to be fooled and pay double price .no matter your behaviour.
Koulis: I thank you for your post as well as your continued interest in ALTA Performance Products.

I must disagree and that your situation must be excluded from this conversation as we have a contractual agreement with our local dealer in Greece not sell directly. That dealer has gone to great lengths to stock and support ALTA products and as such the local MSRP may be higher than bringing in product directly from the USA / ALTA.

That simply ISN'T a customer service issue at all. We never failed to help you, or failed to answer an e-mail ( I remember your e-mail specifically) I in fact even placed an e-mail to the local Greek dealer to see if he could help you.

While you may be frustrated that ALTA can't sell to you directly, that in no means is reflective of poor customer service.

Thank you again for your post. Noticing you only have 3 posts to your account as of this reply, you should really get farther into the NAM community. I know you as well as others would gain from higher participation.

Chat soon!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Not Happy with Alta Tech Support and Customer Service