Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain pulley alignment / belt question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:30 PM
TwistySister
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pulley alignment / belt question

How can I tell if my new 15% Craven pulley is aligned correctly? The belt is riding even with the passenger side edge of the idler pulley. I went back to the mechanic for a new tensioner and shorter belt after the first belt made noise about 350 miles after the pulley install. I'm worried it still isn't right. I've only driven it about 200 miles since the new belt and tensioner. The belt doesn't ride in exactly the same shiney place on the idler pulley as when it was OEM. It doesn't appear to be off the pulley at all, but, is even with the edge. Please, someone explain how to tell if all is okay. The mechanic is two hours away and new to MINIs. I need your help - thanks!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Is There Any Damage To The Belt?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 AM
TwistySister
4th Gear
No damage to the belt that I can see. Of course this belt only has about 200 miles on it. The squeaky (only for the first 1-3 minutes of start up) belt that was replaced also looks new with about 350 miles. The old tensioner showed about half a hole. The new one with the shorter belt shows the entire hole. So far no sqeak. but, the other didn't make any noise at first 250 miles either. I'm concerned that the belt isn't lining up on the pulleys as it should. How can I know if its okay?

Last edited by TwistySister; 06-03-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
I can appreciate that you don't have a lot miles on the car or belts but a really mis-aligned set-up should be visible via belt wear. I would think when you changed belts if there was a significant problem the mechanic would have noticed.

Many of the pulleys self align - what brand is yr pulley?

Other than having some one look at it, I don't think there is much the board can opine.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Chumperdink
1st Gear
Just putting this out there

This has nothing to do with this I know. I searched through the threads and posts and found nothing. Im hoping maybe Bahama may have heard somthing on this subject though. The more torque and Hp you provide, the more the engine moves. Mini Madness actually sells stiffer bushings made of polyurethene. Im wondering if any of you have seen ingalls brand engine dampener? They have not made one for the mini. Ingalls design is more like a mini shock absorber for your engine. It looks like it would be a great addition. If there is a manufacturer out there like ingalls that you guys have heard of let us know. Thank you for your time, and sorry for confusing any readers on the primary subject.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
TwistySister
4th Gear
The pulley is a 15% Craven

Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chumperdink
This has nothing to do with this I know. I searched through the threads and posts and found nothing. Im hoping maybe Bahama may have heard somthing on this subject though. The more torque and Hp you provide, the more the engine moves. Mini Madness actually sells stiffer bushings made of polyurethene. Im wondering if any of you have seen ingalls brand engine dampener? They have not made one for the mini. Ingalls design is more like a mini shock absorber for your engine. It looks like it would be a great addition. If there is a manufacturer out there like ingalls that you guys have heard of let us know. Thank you for your time, and sorry for confusing any readers on the primary subject.
There are several products that address engine movement from engine dampeners to bushing replacement. I personally don't run any of them but many do. I would start a new thread so those w/ experience can speak up.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TwistySister
The pulley is a 15% Craven
Okay so no BRAND X .

I don't want to make you paranoid or more paranoid ; I would just continue to drive and monitor from time to time. I would also assume since you paid to have it installed that they will stand behind their work in the event of failure.

One last note - I have to assume that there is a small degree of variance for any pulley and to have mis-aligned failure or considered a mis-installed pulley it would have to be that the belt is being chewed up or the belt is popping off.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 297 Likes on 225 Posts
FWIW I replaced the belt on my Works Cooper earlier this year.

The result "whistled" a bit, noticeable at startup and idle.

I returned to MiniPeabody (who did the belt) and was immediately treated to a further half hour of tech time, resulting in some minor alignments to the belt system. The result was perfect.

The tech told me that these belts like proper alignment, and that there are provisions in the belt system to achieve it.

Is your belt as quiet as the OEM setup?

Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cmt52663
FWIW I replaced the belt on my Works Cooper earlier this year.

The result "whistled" a bit, noticeable at startup and idle.

I returned to MiniPeabody (who did the belt) and was immediately treated to a further half hour of tech time, resulting in some minor alignments to the belt system. The result was perfect.

The tech told me that these belts like proper alignment, and that there are provisions in the belt system to achieve it.

Is your belt as quiet as the OEM setup?
good news

my belt is as quiet as stock. I have had the occasional little squeal but it rains as well as it is humid here in Florida.