Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Turbo-back, when/warranty/install...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008 | 08:55 AM
hopper
|
3rd Gear
Turbo-back, when/warranty/install...

A few turbo-back exhaust questions:

1) How long a break-in period before modifying?
2) It's my second Mini, so I know that Mini is liberal about mods under warranty, but do they view a turbo-back differently than a cat-back?
3) Has anyone attemped a self-install without access to a lift?

TIA,

Richard

Old 06-08-2008 | 09:42 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hopper
2) It's my second Mini, so I know that Mini is liberal about mods under warranty, but do they view a turbo-back differently than a cat-back?
Yes they do, I'm in a bind right now w/ my turboback, I've been getting a P0420 and the dealer won't even plug in my Mini to check for updated software while it's installed.
A cat-back is basically just a different muffler & some tubing after the functional parts, while the turbo-back includes the highly monitored first cat.
I really can't tell you how frustrated I'm getting with mine, if I could pull the whole thing off & get my money back, I think I would.

Old 06-08-2008 | 09:48 AM
hopper
|
3rd Gear
I was afraid of something like that. :-( Thanks for being honest. It's off topic, but how do you like the 4" stubby and headlight protectors?

Old 06-08-2008 | 09:59 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
The stubby antenna looks great & takes 2 seconds to R&R, radio reception's been just fine.
The headlight protectors were a real challenge to install, I actually got a complete kit w/ the fog light protectors as well, but after fighting w/ the headlights & looking at the much more curved foglights, I just skipped it.
I would recommend having them professionally installed, like window tinting, it's just not worth the hassle. That being said, I'd still recommend buying a set, the Mini's blunt nose is a real rock magnet.

Old 06-08-2008 | 11:20 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Good info, why dont you just take the DP off and go back to the shop?
Heck...if the code goes away then you already know the prob

Old 06-08-2008 | 12:51 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
The fault's a catalyst efficiency fault, catalyst bank 1 below threshold. Alta originally thought it might have been a software change for the '08''s, or that it might be one from a less then optimal batch of cats, then I was told there was a TSB & a software update, but after numerous calls & arguments with the dealer, the TSB's only for R53's and they won't touch the car w/ the Alta exhaust on it ... so, waiting for another batch of cats.

to R&R the cat, make a trip to the dealer in another city to get a software update they don't want to do, and then reinstall the DP yet again, that's a huge PITA factor, and if I didn't have a hoist & tools of my own, it'd be a big expense as well.
That's why I shelled out almost $1500 for a bolt-on part from a reputable company.

Old 07-31-2008 | 01:01 AM
donato
3rd Gear
I'm in the same boat with the P0420 issue with the Alta turboback. Can't seem to get a clear answer on when they will get a working replacement made available. I've had the problem for three months now. I ended up buying a scangauge II to erase the code when it comes on (every couple of days), but having to reinstall the exhaust is going to be a pain in the *** (assuming they do come out with a working model).

Last edited by donato; 07-31-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-31-2008 | 06:00 AM
terryg
4th Gear
The good news is that you'll only have to swap out the downpipe if they figure out the fix and send you a replacement. The rest of the exhaust can stay in place.

The fix for the P0420 code isn't difficult, but it takes a lot of testing to verify that it's really fixed.

Old 07-31-2008 | 06:16 AM
TerryD
4th Gear
Is this an isolated problem, or does it effect all 08 R56 turbo backs from Alta?

Old 07-31-2008 | 07:21 AM
MT Don
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TerryD
Is this an isolated problem, or does it effect all 08 R56 turbo backs from Alta?
What about other vendors as well?

Don

Old 07-31-2008 | 08:46 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MT Don
What about other vendors as well?

Don
I've heard Milltek had their fair share of CEL lights caused by the cat in their turbo back.

Old 07-31-2008 | 09:25 AM
TBMINI
2nd Gear
Does anybody know if Exhaust Depot has had any CEL on his catted turbo back system?

Old 07-31-2008 | 10:07 AM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Custom DP with no cats = NO CELL

Thanks to

Old 07-31-2008 | 10:10 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lxjose9xl

Thanks to

^^^what's that

Old 07-31-2008 | 10:18 AM
TBMINI
2nd Gear
But does Sailorliz w/ the catted dp have any CEL?

Old 07-31-2008 | 10:28 AM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
^^^what's that
Its a fitting commonly used in the VW community to eliminate cels with high flow DP's and no cat straight thought exhaust.

It places the O2 sensor in the direction of the exhaust flow. Over 400 miles no cell,

On my girls car she originally had a cell when first turned on the car, but went away quickly and has not returned for over 600 miles.

Old 07-31-2008 | 10:47 AM
Exhaust Depot
Banned
From: Orlando, my house is in fortlauderdale and im originally from da bronx
The o8 i believe are ULE (ultra low emissions) setups so they tend to trigger a cel easier than the 07. Right now i have a new metalic cat that I developed which has two metalic cores vs one so it will do a much better job and filtering the exhaust.

Old 07-31-2008 | 11:12 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Its a fitting commonly used in the VW community to eliminate cels with high flow DP's and no cat straight thought exhaust.

It places the O2 sensor in the direction of the exhaust flow. Over 400 miles no cell,

On my girls car she originally had a cell when first turned on the car, but went away quickly and has not returned for over 600 miles.
Seem's like an O2 simulator would work more efficiently. Used one on my catless R53 and it worked flawlessly.

Old 08-28-2008 | 04:36 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
a little late but I thought I'd chime in on this one.

I getting the P0420 constantly with my Alta DP. It was fine for almost six months then within a few weeks after installing the unichip, I started getting this code, and the frequency increased over time. At first Alta and myself thought it was the Unichip or harness, but now I believe that the extra exhaust output as a result of the Unichip just accelerated the onset of the problem as it still happens now without the Unichip on the car. Alta isn't sure if it is a defective cat design or if the MINI ECU is just extremely sensitive to changes in flow.

Regardless it's a big problem and is still unresolved.

Old 08-28-2008 | 04:56 PM
Kirkland
2nd Gear
I have no codes with the Alta downpipe. I told the local dealer before installing the entire exhaust that I was replacing the leaky stock exhaust and saving Mini the cost of replacing it under warranty.

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:54 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by FugitiveAI
I getting the P0420 constantly with my Alta DP. It was fine for almost six months then within a few weeks after installing the unichip, I started getting this code, and the frequency increased over time. At first Alta and myself thought it was the Unichip or harness, but now I believe that the extra exhaust output as a result of the Unichip just accelerated the onset of the problem as it still happens now without the Unichip on the car. Alta isn't sure if it is a defective cat design or if the MINI ECU is just extremely sensitive to changes in flow.

Thanks for the post and sorry we are in limbo on your car. Jeff and I completed testing on another solution that he will be offering to you as well. You may be correct that the addl fuel is causing the concern, but seems more likely the harness. REGARDLESS we appreciate the business, the opportunity to fix it properly and your patience. ALL are appreciated.

Thanks again! let me know if I can help in anyway personally. Chat soon!

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:55 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Kirkland
I have no codes with the Alta downpipe. I told the local dealer before installing the entire exhaust that I was replacing the leaky stock exhaust and saving Mini the cost of replacing it under warranty.
Thanks! Love the dealer argument as well! Too funny. Chat soon!

Old 08-28-2008 | 09:16 PM
scott48
6th Gear

Exact same thing happened with me....and I'm sure it's the harness.

Last edited by scott48; 08-28-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2008 | 09:35 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for the post and sorry we are in limbo on your car. Jeff and I completed testing on another solution that he will be offering to you as well. You may be correct that the addl fuel is causing the concern, but seems more likely the harness. REGARDLESS we appreciate the business, the opportunity to fix it properly and your patience. ALL are appreciated.

Thanks again! let me know if I can help in anyway personally. Chat soon!
I don't think it's the unichip, as I'm still getting the same code incessantly long after removing it and it's the only code I've gotten.

Jeff has been in contact and we'll continue working toward resolution. Though I'm really disappointed with the issues I've had with a few parts, Alta has been tremendously supportive. For this I still believe you are a good vendor.

Old 08-29-2008 | 09:00 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
I don't think it's the unichip, as I'm still getting the same code incessantly long after removing it and it's the only code I've gotten.

Jeff has been in contact and we'll continue working toward resolution. Though I'm really disappointed with the issues I've had with a few parts, Alta has been tremendously supportive. For this I still believe you are a good vendor.
Thank you!

I PM"d you trying to get some info to call you today. Jeff (ALTA2) wants to get you on the phone to try the newest solution.

Hope to hear from you soon!