Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Who else has 0-60 under 6 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008 | 05:08 PM
Bigjoeski08
|
4th Gear
Who else has 0-60 under 6 seconds

Just want to share my video's I just took showing that my car does 0-60 In under 6 seconds both times I used a computer stopwatch and came up between 5.8 and 5.9 seconds. So Alta has taken off over .5 seconds off my car with just Intake, Turbo Inlet Hose, & Unichip ECU. I'm sure the time could of be even lower seeing how I've only been driving stick 4 months now.

0-90mph
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VzwR9Aihmn4

0-100mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA-1QRbPE_k

Old 06-12-2008 | 05:10 PM
SDMike
5th Gear
Old 06-12-2008 | 07:06 PM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
Damn, that's a quick car. Certainly seems like a tire upgrade is in your near future.

Old 06-13-2008 | 01:36 AM
silversmoke06
Banned
and how dose this comply with the nam guidelines about not posting how your speeding.....
Mark..... Hahahaha

Old 06-13-2008 | 02:45 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigjoeski08
Just want to share my video's I just took showing that my car does 0-60 In under 6 seconds both times I used a computer stopwatch and came up between 5.8 and 5.9 seconds. So Alta has taken off over .5 seconds off my car with just Intake, Turbo Inlet Hose, & Unichip ECU. I'm sure the time could of be even lower seeing how I've only been driving stick 4 months now.

0-90mph

0-100mph
The second video, you don't actually start from stationary. Also, if you are reading off the speedo then you're actually recording 0-56mph ish as speedo's always over read.

Still quick though

Old 06-13-2008 | 03:31 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
You've got a lot of wheel hop there. Time for some new struts.

Old 06-13-2008 | 08:57 AM
digi0123
3rd Gear
Engine mounts will help with the hop...rear I believe?

Old 06-13-2008 | 09:40 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Nice job! Thanks for the compliments!

Old 06-13-2008 | 06:27 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by Bigjoeski08

0-90mph

0-100mph
I'm probably there but I don't have an accurate way of timing without going out to a drag strip.

Old 06-13-2008 | 06:30 PM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by lhoboy
You've got a lot of wheel hop there. Time for some new struts.
Originally Posted by digi0123
Engine mounts will help with the hop...rear I believe?
I don't know what will help it, but the mods add a lot of torque which is the cause of the wheel hop.

Old 06-13-2008 | 06:56 PM
Bigjoeski08
|
4th Gear
Next mods are cat-back and Boost Tubes then will take new video's to compare. Once I'm done with the bolt on's I'm going to need a new tune from Alta. But I need rims and tires bad not only for the performance but for show I'm sick of driving around with stockers.

Old 06-13-2008 | 08:08 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
I don't know what will help it, but the mods add a lot of torque which is the cause of the wheel hop.
The extra torque will cause tire spin, not wheel hop. You've don't have adequate dampening from your struts.

Old 06-14-2008 | 12:01 AM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by lhoboy
The extra torque will cause tire spin, not wheel hop. You've don't have adequate dampening from your struts.
I'm not a mechanic and I will never claim that I am. But without seeing the wheels and just hearing the sound, I cannot say if it is wheel hop or something else causing the sound in the clip. I do know that in my MINI I have butt load of torque and I have been able to squeal the tires when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Even with an MCSa I have a lot of torque steer with all of my mods.

My MINI doesn't make the possible wheel hop sound in the clip, how can we really be sure it is that without seeing the wheels?

I can only vouch for the nice gains that come from the mods from ALTA that I've invested in.

Old 06-14-2008 | 12:27 AM
silversmoke06
Banned
Im postive im making 60 in under six seconds.

Old 06-14-2008 | 04:16 AM
miniviper
2nd Gear
You don't need a drag strip...

It appears to me, all you have to do is video the run or runs and then during playback, time them with a stop watch. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 06-14-2008 | 08:24 AM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by miniviper
It appears to me, all you have to do is video the run or runs and then during playback, time them with a stop watch. Just my 2 cents worth.
True, but it would be cheaper for me to visit a drag strip then get a digital video camera, not to mention that I prefer to stay legal.

Old 06-14-2008 | 02:58 PM
Li'l Red's Rider
2nd Gear
Do a 30- 70 Run in 3rd

True, but it would be cheaper for me to visit a drag strip then get a digital video camera, not to mention that I prefer to stay legal.
Please do a 30-70mph average of 4 runs, if the auto will allow keeping it in 3rd thruough the run. Do it on a 65mph road, like a long on-ramp. You can do this with a $5 stopwatch, and still drive, holding the both the wheel and stopwatch in your right (or left) hand, keeping both hands on the wheel.

Push the Sport Button, and also push and hold the DSC/ASC button until the warning light comes on. This will give you max boost when engaging overboost, and will disengage the traction control. Slow down to 20 in 3rd, and hold there a few seconds. Floor it. The boost will pick up right before 30mph. Do not use the digital speedo.... it not only has hysteresis, but it is much easier to get a good manual time using that big, fat speedo in the center. The analog dial allows one to visually anticipate the pointer crossing a mark, and will give more accurate timing results. The numbers on the digital flash by so fast, they're hard to interpret.

Once the run starts, click the watch at 30mph using one finger. When it crosses 70mph, click the watch again and simultaneously let off the gas. If one can see it, look at the digital speedo. It will keep going up after you let off the gas, will probably display around 75 before it goes down.

Once you are cruising, you can put the stopwatch down. You don't have to look at it until you stop.

I had to practice some before I got the stopwatch down pat. I learned when to glance at the speedo to time the run, didn't have to keep glancing back and forth. Also had to learn the best way to start the run to get the most consistent runs. I tried speed control on at 30mph, and punching it, that was pretty inconsistent. Tried launching at speeds just below 30, 20 was the most consistent with my car. This is starting about 1400 rpm or so. I didn't really pay attention, except to see that it was not too low. My first efforts yielded results that varied from 5.13 to 5.62s. Once I found the best way to launch my car, I got runs more consistently, but not close to the 5.13s. The next test runs were 5.28, 5.34, 5.28, & 5.34, in that order. I went back in cooler air, and ran 2 runs with the A/C off. I got a 5.16s and another 5.13. I will do 4 runs later to verify these results.

futureal33 has a thread started, it would be good to post the results there, also. How about it, Bigjoeski? Both of you do the test and post the times. I'm not considering 0-60, I like to take care of my clutch and I don't jerk my car around, bark tires, etc. The 30-70 is easier on the car, and to me, looks pretty indicative of average hp over the fattest part of the torque curve. It's the most fair test I've seen yet.

Over at MINI2, they have an extensive thread about this particular test, and one can find a ton of times with R53s also. One can compare times with different mods. You can compare R56s to R53s. We could do the same thing here. Perhaps some of the UK guys could repost over here. I think I'll mosey over to futureal's thread and post.

Old 06-15-2008 | 07:41 PM
SimpsonGI
I wasn't sure if this would work for an automatic so prior to purchasing a stop watch I decided to see how it would work. This particular test (30 - 70) in 3rd does not work with an automatic. The automatic will prevent you from reaching redline. It cuts power prior to reaching the end of the test because of the high RPM value. It cuts power at approximately 6150 RPM.

If I do not put it into full manual mode I would be able to collect some times but it would include at least one automatic shift into 4th gear.

Old 06-15-2008 | 08:10 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Just sold my lingerfelter vette 750 TT

Old 06-16-2008 | 03:13 PM
cosmosmpower
3rd Gear
That looks quick.

Old 06-16-2008 | 04:22 PM
Bigjoeski08
|
4th Gear
Just did a 30-70mph Pull in 3rd gear. My time was recorded with a computer stop watch.

I'm getting between 5.15 and 5.25
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...-In_166530.htm

Old 06-16-2008 | 05:00 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
delete

Last edited by ThumperMCS; 06-16-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: didn't read the first post...
Old 06-25-2008 | 08:09 PM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by Li'l Red's Rider
Please do a 30-70mph average of 4 runs, if the auto will allow keeping it in 3rd thruough the run. Do it on a 65mph road, like a long on-ramp. You can do this with a $5 stopwatch, and still drive, holding the both the wheel and stopwatch in your right (or left) hand, keeping both hands on the wheel.

Push the Sport Button, and also push and hold the DSC/ASC button until the warning light comes on. This will give you max boost when engaging overboost, and will disengage the traction control. Slow down to 20 in 3rd, and hold there a few seconds. Floor it. The boost will pick up right before 30mph. Do not use the digital speedo.... it not only has hysteresis, but it is much easier to get a good manual time using that big, fat speedo in the center. The analog dial allows one to visually anticipate the pointer crossing a mark, and will give more accurate timing results. The numbers on the digital flash by so fast, they're hard to interpret.

Once the run starts, click the watch at 30mph using one finger. When it crosses 70mph, click the watch again and simultaneously let off the gas. If one can see it, look at the digital speedo. It will keep going up after you let off the gas, will probably display around 75 before it goes down.

Once you are cruising, you can put the stopwatch down. You don't have to look at it until you stop.

I had to practice some before I got the stopwatch down pat. I learned when to glance at the speedo to time the run, didn't have to keep glancing back and forth. Also had to learn the best way to start the run to get the most consistent runs. I tried speed control on at 30mph, and punching it, that was pretty inconsistent. Tried launching at speeds just below 30, 20 was the most consistent with my car. This is starting about 1400 rpm or so. I didn't really pay attention, except to see that it was not too low. My first efforts yielded results that varied from 5.13 to 5.62s. Once I found the best way to launch my car, I got runs more consistently, but not close to the 5.13s. The next test runs were 5.28, 5.34, 5.28, & 5.34, in that order. I went back in cooler air, and ran 2 runs with the A/C off. I got a 5.16s and another 5.13. I will do 4 runs later to verify these results.

futureal33 has a thread started, it would be good to post the results there, also. How about it, Bigjoeski? Both of you do the test and post the times. I'm not considering 0-60, I like to take care of my clutch and I don't jerk my car around, bark tires, etc. The 30-70 is easier on the car, and to me, looks pretty indicative of average hp over the fattest part of the torque curve. It's the most fair test I've seen yet.

Over at MINI2, they have an extensive thread about this particular test, and one can find a ton of times with R53s also. One can compare times with different mods. You can compare R56s to R53s. We could do the same thing here. Perhaps some of the UK guys could repost over here. I think I'll mosey over to futureal's thread and post.
I finally purchased a stop watch and gave this a try. I've posted my times in the other thread started by futureal33.

Old 06-26-2008 | 09:27 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
gosh damn thats quick!

Old 06-27-2008 | 10:35 PM
fm.illuminatus
2nd Gear
Now if you believe motortrend, the R56 S does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. I'd imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to get down to 5.8-5.9.

That's a nice thing to see... I'd bet the S with the JCW engine kit could do 6 flat...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Who else has 0-60 under 6 seconds