Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Not sure what CAI to go with... what do you guys prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sunman
Thanks. But that's how the directions tell you to install the intake.

Ok, they should check their installation, but if you throw CELs or have problems...

just a little suggestion.

Not so much for your sake... however, MAF usually likes a little running space between it and the air filter, reason being that air is flowing in from what is essentially an infinite dia down to the intake pipe id. In order to smooth out the flow of air you need to give some resonance time or distance of travel before doing any type of quanititative measurement on it. To further substatiate this look at the thread for DIY intakes, you will find that everyone discovered that lesson who didn't follow this little rule.

As I said, not so much for you, but anyone else doing this install should be aware.

Last edited by JAceMin; 07-10-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: to clarify, I expanded upon...
Old 07-10-2008, 06:25 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JAceMin

Ok, they should check their installation, but if you throw CELs or have problems...

just a little suggestion.

Not so much for your sake... however, MAF usually likes a little running space between it and the air filter, reason being that air is flowing in from what is essentially an infinite dia down to the intake pipe id. In order to smooth out the flow of air you need to give some resonance time or distance of travel before doing any type of quanititative measurement on it. To further substatiate this look at the thread for DIY intakes, you will find that everyone discovered that lesson who didn't follow this little rule.

As I said, not so much for you, but anyone else doing this install should be aware.
I installed my DDM with the MAF in the new location, like Sunman did. And how DDM says to install it. I was weary of it at first, but I've put a few thousand miles on it and not a single issue....just great sound and smooth added power.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:35 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just wondering, why did these stop shipping with foam filters?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
He did it correctly

The maf attaches to the box with the DDM. The way they updated the design is better. The Maf should be in a straight line rather than after a bend for the best readings

Old 07-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Mini Bo Bini
2nd Gear
On my '08 MCSa, I installed this intake....

along with this....

as well as opening up the stock hood scoop somewhat with my Dremel tool. But, the plan is to install this scoop....

M7 Vortex Scoop

along with either....

WMW Turbo Wrap

or...

M7 Aerogel Turbo Heatshield

and a full set of Alta IC and boost tubes (they're on back order).

I've received and installed the UniChip PNP and will have my Magnaflow exhaust installed TOMORROW!!

Last edited by Mini Bo Bini; 07-13-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:32 PM
mnimule
3rd Gear
has anyone opened their stock hoodscoop??? PICS PLEASE!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Mini Bo Bini
2nd Gear
Sorry....double post

Last edited by Mini Bo Bini; 07-13-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:52 PM
maxx629
2nd Gear
Any one use the Aerogel heatshield? I would like to hear how well it does in keeping heat out of the engine bay and where it dissapates the heat to.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:16 PM
sir5150
3rd Gear
I did a test with the heatshield I made and posted the results.https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=133 I also opened up all the holes in the stock scoop using a dremel and carbide bit to get more air to the cai that i made. The cover does not cover the turbo completly just a cover over the top to cut down on direct heat to hood.

Last edited by sir5150; 12-31-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
DoS R56 CAI

Hi.

It's Clint Cope from Defenders of Speed. We'll be a new vendor here on NAM as of next monday 8/25.

You can check out our new CAI for the R56 at:

http://defendersofspeed.com/store/pr...p?id_product=6

It has netted a solid 5-10 hp on relatively stock R56 MCS's (no ECU tuning) - generally 5-7hp gains our CAI w/stock exhaust and 7-10 hp gains w/our CAI and a properly designed aftermarket exhaust system (2.5" diameter).

We're ramping-up the website at present and are a Forge and ATP dealer =
more products to come. Call or e-mail if you have any questions.

Thanks!

-Clint

Last edited by Mini'mon; 08-22-2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Photo Problem
Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 PM
intercoolest
4th Gear
Smart to Compare 1st

Defenders of Speed was a Vendor at MITM3 in Copper Mountain Colorado August 7-10. The DoS R56 CAI was very clean looking & install was slick. The area where the OEM Air Box was is left open & allows room for their future R56 performance mod.

Two of our local club (mini5280.org) members bought CAI's at MITM3, one got the DoS, the other an Alta. The member that got the Alta said later he wished he had checked out the DoS before buying.....

The DoS R56 CAI was a fraction of the weight of stock & other aftermarket units. Something those who track their cars might be interested in.

MCG

Old 08-22-2008, 12:52 PM
PW56
Neutral
DDM

The installation did not take too long, but I did run into a problem with attaching the MAF to the DDM intake. The opening was sized a bit small , so I called Dave at DDM and he told me that it is probably due to the thickness of the powder coating and try and sand and/or file down a bit . In order for me to finally get it to fit, I had to expand the opening by filing approx. 1 mm all the way around (more than just removing the powder coating), and it was still pretty snug to get in - definitely not going anywhere once you get it in the opening. Get one of those files that are rounded on one side and flat on the other if you don't already have one. It makes it a lot easier and cleaner if you have to file. Unfortunately I only had a flat file . Also, the air tube connecting the MAF to the engine shifted over a tad, making things a bit more snug. This includes the line that goes up and over the air hose - hopefully it's not putting too much stress on the connection end.

I got the same problem as SUNMAN but this happen for the steet verison.
I request that they send me a new housing when they have a fix for it.
I purchase was made during august 08.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
DDM Race Intake System (RIS) FTMFW! It's like having a half-sport button at all times!

Originally Posted by mnimule
I have a MCS can't decide which CAI to go with!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 PM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
Can you buy that DDM Air diverting system seperate from the intake? Would it fit with the Alta Intake?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Before I start, I would like to say that I am in no way knocking Alta or anyone else's products.

I see two fundamental problems with CAIs like Alta's pictured below.

1: It isn't a true CAI in my opinion. It is indeed a freer-flowing filter but, unless you are driving in Antarctica, you aren't drawing in cold air. At idle, even in a temperate climate, under-hood temperatures can reach up to or in excess of 600 degrees Fahrenheit. While driving the heat of the radiator, engine, exhaust manifold and exhaust turbo is being blown towards that filter. Colder air = dense air dense air = better, more complete combustion.

2: The MAF/MAP (can't remember which it is) is behind a 90 degree bend. Turbulent air isn't read as accurately as it would be in a straight line. The DDM Works Race Intake System puts the MAF/MAP directly behind the filter and while it can be turbulent behind the filter, it's not as turbulent as it is behind a 90* elbow.

Again, not knocking anyone's product. The above is just my opinion.

Originally Posted by fongaroos
but doesnt it seem like you are paying a LOT for something that looks and functions very similar to the DIY intakes?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SomethingNew71
Can you buy that DDM Air diverting system seperate from the intake? Would it fit with the Alta Intake?
Yes but you won't get the full benefit of it without the rest of the DDM Works full race intake.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:56 AM
masterd78
MANIAC
It fits with the ALTA, but requires some bending of the Alta upright support. I had the DDM Ram Air Scoop installed for a while with my Alta intake. I can post pics of the bend I'm talking about if you would like.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Salty
3rd Gear
can anyone chime in with opinions of the Forge intake? I am considering it but haven't heard too many experiences with it.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 PM
danielo
4th Gear
How about the GruppeM intake for the R56?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 AM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
How about a link to their site.

Also,with the DDM intakes,can a strut brace be used?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:32 AM
got.pho?
4th Gear
That Gruppe M looks nasty!!!! in a good way, where can i get it? =]

Yes the ddm street will fit strut braces, I have a jcw and a ddm street. both for sale =]

Old 08-28-2008, 08:50 AM
KyleJ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by danielo
How about the GruppeM intake for the R56?

http://www.gruppem.co.jp/application...o/fri-0317.htm

128,000 yen = ~1185 US Dollars

Old 08-28-2008, 02:23 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Warped1966
Before I start, I would like to say that I am in no way knocking Alta or anyone else's products.

I see two fundamental problems with CAIs like Alta's pictured below.

1: It isn't a true CAI in my opinion. It is indeed a freer-flowing filter but, unless you are driving in Antarctica, you aren't drawing in cold air. At idle, even in a temperate climate, under-hood temperatures can reach up to or in excess of 600 degrees Fahrenheit. While driving the heat of the radiator, engine, exhaust manifold and exhaust turbo is being blown towards that filter. Colder air = dense air dense air = better, more complete combustion.

2: The MAF/MAP (can't remember which it is) is behind a 90 degree bend. Turbulent air isn't read as accurately as it would be in a straight line. The DDM Works Race Intake System puts the MAF/MAP directly behind the filter and while it can be turbulent behind the filter, it's not as turbulent as it is behind a 90* elbow.

Again, not knocking anyone's product. The above is just my opinion.
Thanks

Thanks for the post and for mentioning that it is an opinion. Couple things to note.

1) The Fresh air tube provided by the factory is still in play with our intake system. This allows cold air to be drawn into the filter from the front of the vehicle.

2) All of our dyno testing is done with the hood shut. So while I agree with your theory the end results don't support our opinion of what should happen. The HP gains are real and repeatable even with the hood shut on the dyno.

3) The turbulence is a non issue as well. The flow is BETTER through the elbow than through the turbulent panel filter, then directly into the MAF. Again, the dyno results (not just from ALTA but others as well) would clearly show MAF problems if it was.

Thank you again for your post. You may want to CLICK HERE
to see under the charts tab for some helpful dyno plots and methodology.

Let me know if I can ever help further!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by KyleJ
Not ******* my own system, but that is GORGEOUS as is most all of the GruupeM carbon bits I have seen in person previously. I wouldn't spend that much personally on an intake, but on a Ferrari or Lambo I might!

Thanks for the conversion!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...o-p-74327.html

might consider it

Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Not ******* my own system, but that is GORGEOUS as is most all of the GruupeM carbon bits I have seen in person previously. I wouldn't spend that much personally on an intake, but on a Ferrari or Lambo I might!

Thanks for the conversion!