Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Threatened by futureal33

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008 | 11:34 PM
Exhaust Depot
|
Banned
From: Orlando, my house is in fortlauderdale and im originally from da bronx
Me likey. The catted setup is a tad less aggressive than this. Me like, me like! Thanks Jose.

Old 07-12-2008 | 08:39 AM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lxjose9xl
Here´s a quick vid of the cat-less system....Inside...Windows up....quality ended up sucking when i converted it as the original files were gynormous.
OK, this is easily the best sounding exhaust setup that I have heard on the R56. Couple of questions though:

Is it the video quality that is giving the car a slightly higher, less bassy pitch than most other R56 exhausts or does it really have a more "screamer"-like sound to it? Also, volume wise, what do you think? Too much, not enough?

And Exhaust Depot will probably have to answer this but would the catted system maintain that sound pitch and simply tone to volume down?

Old 07-12-2008 | 08:49 AM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MPowerF1
OK, this is easily the best sounding exhaust setup that I have heard on the R56. Couple of questions though:

Is it the video quality that is giving the car a slightly higher, less bassy pitch than most other R56 exhausts or does it really have a more "screamer"-like sound to it? Also, volume wise, what do you think? Too much, not enough?

And Exhaust Depot will probably have to answer this but would the catted system maintain that sound pitch and simply tone to volume down?
The video quality did tone down a lot of the bass in the exhaust. In person it does have that screamer sound with a deeper tone.

Volume wise it is pretty loud...but not unbearable...good loud IMO...Like Hector said maybe the catted and a resonator for a less aggresive sound.

My fiance has a catted DP by Hector and the tones of both are pretty similar. What I have noticed is the catted DP has a louder tone all over the range and the catted DP starts its loudness at WOT. I´ll post some additional videos later on of both.

Old 07-12-2008 | 01:27 PM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
Thanks for the information. I've got another question: drone. I had an exhaust on my last car that droned and resonated right at 2,750 rpm which made it pretty annoying during most traffic situations. How's this exhaust in terms of drone?

Old 07-12-2008 | 02:06 PM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
As far as I´ve driven the de-catted version drones a bit at around 3,500 rpm. We have not heard any drone so far from the catted car. Also keep in mind that on the auto cars the rpm´s are lower than manuals at 6 gear cruising speeds so they will usually have less drone at highway speeds...specially at 75ish or so.

Old 07-12-2008 | 02:13 PM
svandoorn
1st Gear
Thanks for the video

Old 07-12-2008 | 02:47 PM
Exhaust Depot
|
Banned
THE MEOW brinds down the decibles for the most part.

Old 07-12-2008 | 08:52 PM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Here ya go Fellas...

Pepper White is de-catted....Mellow Yellow has hectors DP with the magnaflow cat and both have the same type piping and mufflers back.

And again the sound was greatly affected by the quality of compression, but still sounds pretty good IMO

Last edited by lxjose9xl; 07-12-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2008 | 09:04 PM
SlowB00st
3rd Gear
Here ya go Fellas...

Pepper White is de-catted....Mellow Yellow has hectors DP with the magnaflow cat and both have the same type piping and mufflers back.

And again the sound was greatly affected by the quality of compression, but still sounds pretty good IMO
Nice........

Really like how the white one sounds

Old 07-13-2008 | 02:09 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
Holy smokes, that PW one sounds amazingly (and loud!!!)
Right well I think thats just made me decide what Im going for!!

The Mellow Yellow sounds good, but its so much deeper and from the video its a completely different sound.

I cant stop watching that video lol, i love the clip of the PW one where is comes from the end of the road (about 30seconds) and you can hear it - it sounds SUPERB!!

Thanks for an excellent video, i know they arent the easiest and quickest things to make!!

Old 07-13-2008 | 04:16 AM
Ben-Ja-Min
2nd Gear
What are you doing about the CEL lights? Are you ignoring them or tricking the car to make them stay off?

Old 07-13-2008 | 08:30 AM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ben-Ja-Min
What are you doing about the CEL lights? Are you ignoring them or tricking the car to make them stay off?
As far as the CELs go. Hector can offer you a couple solutions. I myself will be using

Old 07-13-2008 | 09:25 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
lxjose how is the power ? you got more?

Old 07-13-2008 | 09:27 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
and keep us posted on the cels. sweet sound buddy. i need a downpipe but i want to save for the factory jcw and mod it .

Old 07-15-2008 | 03:03 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
As far as the CELs go. Hector can offer you a couple solutions. I myself will be using
Any luck with this part yet Jose? Hows the car running, still loving the sound??

Old 07-15-2008 | 08:17 AM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Actually get the part by the end of the week. Car running strong and sounding good.

Old 07-15-2008 | 09:31 AM
-Vampyre-
3rd Gear
I had a turbo mazda that was de-catted. To keep from getting a cel, I used 2 spark plug non-foulers. I drilled the hole in one to 1/2 and put the 2nd non-fouler on top. Then I screwed them both onto the O2 sensor and put the whole thing into the exhaust pipe. The non-foulers all had the same thread as the O2 sensor and exhaust bung. Never got a cel, and I drove it like that for over a year.

Old 07-16-2008 | 03:55 PM
sailorliz23
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by futureal33
Holy smokes, that PW one sounds amazingly (and loud!!!)
Right well I think thats just made me decide what Im going for!!

The Mellow Yellow sounds good, but its so much deeper and from the video its a completely different sound.

I cant stop watching that video lol, i love the clip of the PW one where is comes from the end of the road (about 30seconds) and you can hear it - it sounds SUPERB!!

Thanks for an excellent video, i know they arent the easiest and quickest things to make!!

haha i resent the comment about my MY. the reason it sounds sooo different is because of the different videographers lol. i do have to admit though that im kind of jealous of my PW. we didnt make half as many videos of my mini though :( and im sure there was a reason for that......

Old 07-17-2008 | 08:00 AM
sunman
3rd Gear
The video quality did tone down a lot of the bass in the exhaust. In person it does have that screamer sound with a deeper tone.

Volume wise it is pretty loud...but not unbearable...good loud IMO...Like Hector said maybe the catted and a resonator for a less aggresive sound.

My fiance has a catted DP by Hector and the tones of both are pretty similar. What I have noticed is the catted DP has a louder tone all over the range and the catted DP starts its loudness at WOT. I´ll post some additional videos later on of both.
Hi Jose,
Did you get rid of your custom 3" exhaust system to go with this set up?

Old 07-17-2008 | 08:57 AM
sunman
3rd Gear

Do you have another shot of the bottom but from the front? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2008 | 11:57 AM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sunman
Hi Jose,
Did you get rid of your custom 3" exhaust system to go with this set up?
Nope same muffler on both and previous piping. What hector did was fabricate the DP on both cars and connect them with flanges.

For the people that don´t have the custom set ups he can provide the whole Turbo-back exhaust.

Last edited by lxjose9xl; 07-17-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2008 | 05:29 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Those systems sound dope But, I think that lxjose9xl-your car sounds like it is getting compressor surge. Think about an upgraded BOV...maybe even a http://www.synapseengineering.com/ one Those looke pretty trick

Old 07-17-2008 | 08:16 PM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisMCS04
Those systems sound dope But, I think that lxjose9xl-your car sounds like it is getting compressor surge. Think about an upgraded BOV...maybe even a http://www.synapseengineering.com/ one Those looke pretty trick
Don't know if we were watching the same vid. No compressor surge there but thanks for the suggestion. The video doesn't really do it justice anyways.

Now this below my friend is compressor surge. (Not mine BTW).

I am looking to add a secondary BOV on the car as previously discussed by Hector on his usual set-ups...but don't know yet which I will be choosing.

Old 07-17-2008 | 08:54 PM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
I'm leaning towards Tial actually. And yes I know it's overkill at stock boost levels but with a proper tune (correct spring set up) it will not only work wonders but will also sound out of control.

I like the sound of the synapse products however it's a shady company with a bunch of tools running it. They keep knocking Tial and HKS in regards to response rates and compressor surge. However on all their test vehicles they are clearly running too stiff of spring thus creating delayed response and compressor surge. + parts made in china vs. Michigan for Tial.

Anyways enough rambling on here.

Old 07-17-2008 | 08:58 PM
Exhaust Depot
|
Banned
On your car I would go with an HKS cause of the dual valve setup. On a fully map car then yeah tial is gud.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Threatened by futureal33