Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Air to a CIA

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:31 PM
TerryD
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air to a CIA

I was just looking at (for the first time) the air intake from the lower grill to the stock air box in my new 08 S. Based on nothing but casual observation, it looks like there is not much air intake going on, and the tube is so long and full of 45deg turns, that the engine compartment heat must be heating it some on its way in. I have read the scoop is non functional, but the surface area of open vent holes, must be close to the section area of the intake pipe. My thought, if this is true, is that a CIA like the DDM(?) that uses the factory intake air more than some others, plus the air scoop and something to insulate and contain the turbo heat, may result in a net gain of (not too hot) air. Does this make any sense?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, quick correction, it's cold air intake (CAI). There are aftermarket setups that draw from the hood scoop: http://www.m7tuning.com/parts/produc...roducts_id=117. There is also a product which better shields the turbo.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:37 AM
TerryD
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Creeve
First, quick correction, it's cold air intake (CAI). There are aftermarket setups that draw from the hood scoop: http://www.m7tuning.com/parts/produc...roducts_id=117. There is also a product which better shields the turbo.
I am aware of the product you referenced, but that is not my point. My point is, that the stock hood scoop may add some benefit if the turbo heat is contained. I have (not yet installed) a turbo insulation blanket and want an open intake for sound and any other minor benefit it may add. The product you referenced seems, to me, cumbersome and unnecessary and priced so that its cost vs benefit makes no sense.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Motodude
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand your pondering as I was there a couple of months ago and posted my thoughts and deeds under "Lowering Underhood Temperatures". Presently have a thermo wrapped exhaust header and turbo with a very open direct air intake using a giant K&N straight into the MAF (relocated nearer the compressor inlet). I really like it and is the best ( and cheapest) system I've seen. You're on the right track.