Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain m7 heat shield installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 07:19 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joshK
They raised the price? ugh...well looks like I won't be buying it now. I already have the WMW heat shield and 200 bucks for essentially a piece of underhood dress up is pretty steep. I guess I'll have to learn to love the look of that OEM heatshield.
Not trying to defend a bit of bait n switch on the pricing, but looking at the product, the $199 MSRP doesn't seem 100% out of line. But I agree they should have held the $169 for a longer period of time.

If you really want one, PM me directly and I will work something out for you!

Chat then!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:15 PM
FicDEP
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Oh K! I just got off the phone with Peter @ m7. 10 minutes after a 6.0 earthquake!

Anyway, he said any units now shipping will have addl. adjustment to the mounting holes.

Let me know if I can help!

Hi Adam - Any update? Has M7 solved the rubbing issue? Thanks!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 PM
masterd78
MANIAC
I've also got one small rubbing spot!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:20 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by FicDEP
Hi Adam - Any update? Has M7 solved the rubbing issue? Thanks!
I haven't received them in yet. When I spoke to him he said the "new ones" will have addl. adjustment to the rear mounting holes to allow them to slide farther back. I then understood that the ones I was getting in would be the new style and might explain the delay.

I will check again today or tomorrow!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
JAS76
3rd Gear
Hi Adam,

As far as the adjustment you are talking about that M7 has in the works.Unless they change the front of the shield , the adjustable mounting holes will do nothing since my issue now is i need for it to move back. there is no room to move it back with the current design since it is right up on the O2 sensor...

J

Old 08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
FicDEP
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JAS76
Hi Adam,

As far as the adjustment you are talking about that M7 has in the works.Unless they change the front of the shield , the adjustable mounting holes will do nothing since my issue now is i need for it to move back. there is no room to move it back with the current design since it is right up on the O2 sensor...

J

JAS76: Are you getting metal to metal contact with the M7 heat shield & bonnet?

I haven't received them in yet. When I spoke to him he said the "new ones" will have addl. adjustment to the rear mounting holes to allow them to slide farther back. I then understood that the ones I was getting in would be the new style and might explain the delay.

I will check again today or tomorrow!

Adam: Thanks for the update!

REMINDER: I beleive we're all waiting for your temperature test results as well.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:46 AM
JAS76
3rd Gear
[quote=FicDEP;2411285]JAS76: Are you getting metal to metal contact with the M7 heat shield & bonnet?

Yes, i am getting the edge of the heatshield near the O2 sensor rubbing on the shield and the hood, black paint coming off the shield and red paint off og the bonnet! good times!!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:22 AM
masterd78
MANIAC
Same spot for me also! Right up by the O2 sensor.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:14 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
I had the same problem with the rubbing. It rubbed the underside of my hood raw in three spots just after the first hood closure (really not happy with that). I spoke to M7 and heard they had a fix that would make the mounting holes larger which should resolve the problem, but in my case it would not have helped. There was no way I could move the shield any further in towards the engine. I finally sent mine back and will wait to hear about another redesign that has more clearance.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:54 AM
FicDEP
1st Gear
Originally Posted by taskmaxter
I had the same problem with the rubbing. It rubbed the underside of my hood raw in three spots just after the first hood closure (really not happy with that). I spoke to M7 and heard they had a fix that would make the mounting holes larger which should resolve the problem, but in my case it would not have helped. There was no way I could move the shield any further in towards the engine. I finally sent mine back and will wait to hear about another redesign that has more clearance.

Judging by this and other posts an improper fit of the M7 heat shield appears to be a common problem. I'm going to defer a purchase until resolved.

Until such time MINI address this issue our options are limited to one (or a combination) of the following:

- Allow the hoodscoop melt and have it replaced by the dealer until the warranty expires. (With the prospect of jumping through dealer hoops and game playing as reported by a few members)

- Install a carbon fiber hoodscoop (or aftermarket alternative)

- Open the remaining hoodscoop vents

- Wrap the turbo

- Install the M7 heat shield thus allowing it to damage the underside of the bonnet

For the record: A melting hoodscoop is not my primary concern. Has anyone considered what the long-term effect will be on the paint surrounding the scoop due to prolonged hi bonnet temperatures?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:09 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Judging by this and other posts an improper fit of the M7 heat shield appears to be a common problem. I'm going to defer a purchase until resolved.
I agree! Wait until I get my hands on a few, try them on all THREE of R56's, 07,08 and 09 to verify fitment, then I will let you guys know.

Does that sound reasonable? But again, I don't want MY hood to have an interference, and neither do you.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:24 AM
gocats
1st Gear
I just picked one up from M7 Wednesday and was told that mine was one of the "new" ones. Installed it last night and see no signs of rubbing. This is on an 08' R56. The interesting part is that all the rubbing seems to be happening around the O2 sensor and the sensor itself keeps the shield from moving further away from the bonnet towards the engine.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:38 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Until such time MINI address this issue our options are limited to one (or a combination) of the following:

- Allow the hoodscoop melt and have it replaced by the dealer until the warranty expires. (With the prospect of jumping through dealer hoops and game playing as reported by a few members)

- Install a carbon fiber hoodscoop (or aftermarket alternative)

- Open the remaining hoodscoop vents

- Wrap the turbo

- Install the M7 heat shield thus allowing it to damage the underside of the bonnet

Or do what one of the other posters did on the "hood scoop melting" thread in the Stock Problems/Issues Forum. They took some under hood liner (they bought someplace) and put it on the underside of the scoop. Seemed to resolve the problem. Take a look at post #177 at:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=128350&page=8

Still need more info on this, but it might be a very viable (and inexpensive) option.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:51 AM
FicDEP
1st Gear
I agree! Wait until I get my hands on a few, try them on all THREE of R56's, 07,08 and 09 to verify fitment, then I will let you guys know.

Does that sound reasonable? But again, I don't want MY hood to have an interference, and neither do you.

Very reasonable... Thank you!

Originally Posted by taskmaxter
Or do what one of the other posters did on the "hood scoop melting" thread in the Stock Problems/Issues Forum. They took some under hood liner (they bought someplace) and put it on the underside of the scoop. Seemed to resolve the problem. Take a look at post #177 at:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=128350&page=8

Still need more info on this, but it might be a very viable (and inexpensive) option.

Oops.. I forgot to include this option in the list. Thanks for mentioning it.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:26 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
just requested refund on M7 heat shield order until fitment and delivery issues are resolved.
Thanks Alta

Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
white rocket
2nd Gear
Mine should be arriveing this week or next so I'll have a brief review for everyone once it's installed.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:34 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by LOP
just requested refund on M7 heat shield order until fitment and delivery issues are resolved.
Thanks Alta
Sorry they didn't deliver to us in time to meet your needs. I was again assured that the ones coming to be (in transit from what they tell me) are the "new version" without rubbing concerns. If you want we can let you know when they come in.

Thanks again! Chat soon!

Old 08-12-2008, 03:21 PM
digi0123
3rd Gear
Hey Adam, can you confirm the fit for the R55? I see it's "avail" for the clubbie, but wanted to make sure...both the shield and the scoop.

thx..

Old 08-12-2008, 05:09 PM
FicDEP
1st Gear
Not trying to defend a bit of bait n switch on the pricing, but looking at the product, the $199 MSRP doesn't seem 100% out of line. But I agree they should have held the $169 for a longer period of time.

If you really want one, PM me directly and I will work something out for you!

Chat then!

PM sent!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:20 PM
masterd78
MANIAC
Here are a couple of pics of where mine hits!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:59 AM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Originally Posted by masterd78
Here are a couple of pics of where mine hits!
Nice Pictures
Similar abrasion points for me. It almost seems like they need alter the start of the vertical plate rather than move the mount holes. Oh well. I also wonder why they did not use the existing and open mount holes right on the engine block rather than usurping the populated heat shield mounting points.

Last edited by Nimcosi; 08-15-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
ALTA_JOHNL
Former Vendor
YIKES guys! That stinks. Well like I said until I get some in and can confirm they are a-ok, I won't be sending any of them out.

Thanks for the photos. Chat soon!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Eddie@1FastMINI
Banned
I have found that if you have the ALTA Turbo Down pipe.
The heat shield will not fit with out some major trimming

Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Eddie@1FastMINI
I have found that if you have the ALTA Turbo Down pipe.
The heat shield will not fit with out some major trimming
WHY? The ALTA DP fits under the OEM shields. Can you elaborate?

Thank you!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Eddie@1FastMINI
Banned
WHY? The ALTA DP fits under the OEM shields. Can you elaborate?

Thank you!
Adam Feel Free to call me and I will be glad to elaborate.

321-284-4772

Quick Reply: Drivetrain m7 heat shield installed