Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain m7 heat shield installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:33 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too bad the aerogel blanket wasn't re-shaped to fit the new design; looks a little clumsy.

I'm still waiting for my heat shield, as part of my AGS-R (still hasn't arrived).

I also ordered the optional aerogel blanket -- maybe it's delayed because they're re-shaping it for me.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:47 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
I just ordered the shield for my car, and they said it would be a week or two while they get the blanket redesigned to match the new shield.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:58 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chakraj
I just ordered the shield for my car, and they said it would be a week or two while they get the blanket redesigned to match the new shield.
All right!!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:07 PM
white rocket
2nd Gear
Judging from those pics I definitely have the version before this. I haven't installed it yet 'cause I'm lazy

Should I be contacting M7 and swapping for a newer, better fitting version?

Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chakraj

Can you post pictures once you receive the redesigned blanket? I am curious if it will be enough to make me want to get it replaced.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:23 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Sure, but they said a few weeks

Old 09-15-2008, 09:59 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
MINIROX, when did you order the AGS-R?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:15 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dtsoccer6
MINIROX, when did you order the AGS-R?
On August 12 I placed an order with my local aftermarket parts dealer, Bishop Sales (www.bishopsales.com) for the AGS-R, intercooler bezel, cross bar, charge pipe and sway bar. So far nothing has arrived, although I am told my order will be shipped soon. Needless to say, I am very !! Part of the price I pay for living in the "true North strong and free" I guess.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
hahaha well that is quite an order! I'm going to order one probably later today after class finishes. I have a lot of paint going on the car so its going to look nice when its finished...i got the vortex and the m7 strut brace. Vortex is the process of paint now..body color. But WoW, over a month, I feel your pain!! Once its on, you will forget all that tho...hahaha

Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dtsoccer6
hahaha well that is quite an order! I'm going to order one probably later today after class finishes. I have a lot of paint going on the car so its going to look nice when its finished...i got the vortex and the m7 strut brace. Vortex is the process of paint now..body color. But WoW, over a month, I feel your pain!! Once its on, you will forget all that tho...hahaha
I have learned that it pays to make as big an order as I can afford, what with the shipping, the customs brokerage and the horrible WAIT.

Let me know how you like that Vortex. Body colour is a good choice, as the scoop will be dramatic enough without a contracting colour. I haven't yet decided how I'm going to get in the extra air I'll need.......

Old 09-18-2008, 11:27 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
UPDATE!!

I just got the word, my order is in!!! Yahoo!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:32 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Awesome, do post when you get the peices on! Oh and can you snap a picture of the gel coat on the AGS-R!?! I want to see if I even have to paint it at all.

Update from me...I got the AGS-R today, will come in either next Tuesday or Weds. My scoop and trim pieces will be finished by tomorrow morning, can't wait!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:51 AM
drno
3rd Gear
if you guys want a private discussion of your other orders , how about starting another thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:13 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
I have already about 3 or 4 days ago. I was just sharing a few posts with minirox, sorry to inconvenience you. However, we are talking about the heat shield, correct? I will receiving one with the Aerogel next week to be installed with the intake. Sorry for being excited, btw.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:03 PM
2008lightening
Neutral
My heat shield was the earlier version and was contacting my hood so I decided to modify it myself. I don't particularly care for the latest design. I made the hole bigger for the O2 sensor made a slit on lower section, rounded the corners and bent it out some where it contacted the down pipe heat shield. I then put a semicircular notch on the right side where the turbo lubrication pipe is and on the same side at the bottom I cut off the corner where it came in contact with a bolt head. I painted it with rust-oleum high heat paint, it's a very flat finish. I may redo the paint with some high temp automotive semi-gloss. These changes allowed me to push the heat shield back 3/8 to 1/2 inch more than before. I did some aggressive starts so the engine would torque over and so far it isn't contacting the hood.

Attached Thumbnails m7 heat shield installed-p9210199.jpg   m7 heat shield installed-p9210201.jpg   m7 heat shield installed-p9210202.jpg  
Old 09-21-2008, 05:10 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 2008lightening
My heat shield was the earlier version and was contacting my hood so I decided to modify it myself. I don't particularly care for the latest design. I made the hole bigger for the O2 sensor made a slit on lower section, rounded the corners and bent it out some where it contacted the down pipe heat shield. I then put a semicircular notch on the right side where the turbo lubrication pipe is and on the same side at the bottom I cut off the corner where it came in contact with a bolt head. I painted it with rust-oleum high heat paint, it's a very flat finish. I may redo the paint with some high temp automotive semi-gloss. These changes allowed me to push the heat shield back 3/8 to 1/2 inch more than before. I did some aggressive starts so the engine would torque over and so far it isn't contacting the hood.
Nice work! You should send these photos to m7 as well! Maybe they can learn something from your handy work!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:10 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008lightening
Nice work 2008lightening. These sound like some of the mods I am going to do to my shield too. I am also thinking about changing where it bolts to the engine by using the two blank bolt holes that are available. I wasn't too thrilled with removing the two bolts which hold the stock heat shield in place. I checked after bolting in the M7 and the stock heat shield was not securely fastened with the two long bolts that hold the M7 in place.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:12 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
wow, i heard of fitment issues with this stuff, but supposedly its all sorted with the new equipment. Is this true, I ordered Sept. 19. If not, I'm lucky I have friends in the Sheet metal business who could help me out since I dont have the tools...thanks.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:44 PM
JeffreyC
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is it just me thinking that for $200 you should get a product that you don't have to cut, file and paint just to make it look like it should from the factory??

Old 09-21-2008, 10:55 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
thats what I'm hoping with the new updated version! lol It's hard to account for engine movement and torque under the hood while driving. I agree, you shouldn't have too, and 200 seems a bit high anyways, but it does a great help to your engine bay eliminating a good deal of heat soak. However, you can return the shield and m7 will get you a new one, but why do that if simple modding diy style works just as well? It's preference in that method.

Many people mod their mods, I know I do.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JeffreyC
Is it just me thinking that for $200 you should get a product that you don't have to cut, file and paint just to make it look like it should from the factory??
My two cents is I 100% agree. We all make mistakes, but I agree this is a bit silly in how long this is taking to get it resolved.

I have heard good things on the latest revision and I believe the problem to be solved. Let me know if I can help or if you want me to strong arm m7!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
In my opinion for what it is worth, I do not think any vendor should be commenting on manufacturing turn around times. What goes around comes around. I know Peter and when the problem was brought to their attention, action was taken. Prototypes worked well in the handful of mini's tested. However, each mini has its own set of tolerances and what fits one, may not fit another so well. Once in manufacturing, you are the mercy of the manufacturing company and things will change (like it or not). Peter and company can not do a handful of repairs and be expected to keep the costs low. The changes once introduced has to be done in a quantity run and you have to wait for the company to do its things. As I said, just my opinion and from someone that has many years of experience in manufacturing of products.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:42 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by morbius
In my opinion for what it is worth, I do not think any vendor should be commenting on manufacturing turn around times. What goes around comes around. I know Peter and when the problem was brought to their attention, action was taken. Prototypes worked well in the handful of mini's tested. However, each mini has its own set of tolerances and what fits one, may not fit another so well. Once in manufacturing, you are the mercy of the manufacturing company and things will change (like it or not). Peter and company can not do a handful of repairs and be expected to keep the costs low. The changes once introduced has to be done in a quantity run and you have to wait for the company to do its things. As I said, just my opinion and from someone that has many years of experience in manufacturing of products.
I think you took my comments out of context. I CARRY AND SELL THIS PRODUCT AND MOST OF THE CLIENTS HERE BOUGHT IT FROM ME!!!

I just had Peter up here in Oregon last Friday. We are WAY good! He and his staff have been working with my staff on strategy to resolve this. They even released a new version to help better fit with my downpipes.

I honestly was trying to make light of it not come off like a turkey! Like I said, "we all make mistakes" I am including myself in that boat.

Hope that helps clarify! Chat soon!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Originally Posted by futuremini
Nice work 2008lightening. These sound like some of the mods I am going to do to my shield too. I am also thinking about changing where it bolts to the engine by using the two blank bolt holes that are available. I wasn't too thrilled with removing the two bolts which hold the stock heat shield in place. I checked after bolting in the M7 and the stock heat shield was not securely fastened with the two long bolts that hold the M7 in place.

I agree. I am seriously thinking about creating new holes on the shield to mount via the preexisting holes. I am not entirely sure why they did not use them. I will post pictures.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Originally Posted by Nimcosi
I agree. I am seriously thinking about creating new holes on the shield to mount via the preexisting holes. I am not entirely sure why they did not use them. I will post pictures.
The two holes that you are referring to are the ones on the ali heads. Honestly, I would not use those for the possibly the same reason M7 decided not to, vibration and stress and can crack. The heat shield will vibrate somewhat in the direction that has the weakest points on those holes in the ali. When it does crack (and it will, just a matter of time), then possible warrenty issues can pop up .....

You would be better off replacing the bolts with threaded studs of the equal length, running a stainless washer and nut all the way down to secure the heat shield to the stud/bolt and then placing the shield on and capping it with a stainless acorn nut. Now you have the stock shield secure and the new just as secure without having to drill new holes or worry about other problems.

Hope that helps.

Attached Thumbnails m7 heat shield installed-img_1661s.jpg  

Quick Reply: Drivetrain m7 heat shield installed