Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain m7 heat shield installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:55 AM
drno
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i assume that the perpose of the double sided tape is to keep the shield from moving , which the felt tape wont. also how will the felt hold up to the high temps aroung the turbo?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:16 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
The heat shield when properly installed can only move a max of 1/16 of an inch, I checked that and tested it. Mine has not moved from where I have set the scribe marks. The felt will hold up much better short and long term than the double stick tape will. Its a cloth material and already compressed and designed for temps. The tape is foam is not designed for high temps.

I have had the shield for nearly a week and placed several hundred miles on it with no issues. Nothing says you have to do this, I did it because parts on a engine should not be glued down for any reason besides gaskets.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:11 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by morbius
Installed mine. I removed the double stick tape and replaced it with OEM felt strip so it can be removed for service without issues. Added a little detail to mine
I was wondering about this as I was sticking mine down, but I just went ahead and stuck it. Now I wish I'd done something like this too. At some point I may remove the shield and replace the tape as well..........

The "detail" looks great! Is that just an M7 decal?

Old 10-04-2008, 02:27 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Originally Posted by myminirox
The "detail" looks great! Is that just an M7 decal?
Yup, can be best applied with the shield is hot since the finish prevents the decal from sticking otherwise.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi everyone...

I do believe we finally licked all the issues we encountered the last few months, and with that we also enhanced the look of the heat shield.
The first couple of shapes worked on some cars (mostly early high mileage)
cars were the engine had settled in a millimeter or so. This was a maddening process, as my car (early 07 model) had no issues at all, and some other cars
barely shaved the paint of the hood.....

The final units Aerogel blanket is also light years ahead look wise, even though you'll never really see the blanket in most situations.

I also believe in a modular approach to our product, so I'm working on something special for the heat shield that will add some more value and functionality very soon.

Peter
M7 tuning
562-608-8123

M7 Heat Shield and Super-AGS photo by Morbius

Last edited by M7; 10-06-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: adding name and ph #
Old 10-06-2008, 04:01 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by M7
Hi everyone...

I do believe we finally licked all the issues we encountered the last few months, and with that we also enhanced the look of the heat shield.
The first couple of shapes worked on some cars (mostly early high mileage)
cars were the engine had settled in a millimeter or so. This was a maddening process, as my car (early 07 model) had no issues at all, and some other cars
barely shaved the paint of the hood.....

The final units Aerogel blanket is also light years ahead look wise, even though you'll never really see the blanket in most situations.

I also believe in a modular approach to our product, so I'm working on something special for the heat shield that will add some more value and functionality very soon.

Peter
M7 tuning
562-608-8123

M7 Heat Shield and Super-AGS photo by Morbius
What are your thoughts about replacing the double stick tape with a felt strip so it can be removed for service without issues.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:50 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Peter,

It was worth the wait and headaches. Its working out very well that I will have to get more for our other mini's ! Thanks a million and great work, fit and finish is excellent.

BTW, if you want some of the felt that I used, let me know and I will send it to you for testing. You know how to find me

Cheers.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by myminirox
What are your thoughts about replacing the double stick tape with a felt strip so it can be removed for service without issues.
MMR,

Why don't you use 3M velcro in place of the strip. I'm going to do it that way since it will still hold real tight and come off and on plenty of times without having to worry about the adhesive wearing off.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:43 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Be careful, melting point on velcro is rather low compared to other materials. Velcro glue rather a pain to clean up when it runs all over the place.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
good point, maybe a test with a heat gun before install. I'll let everyone know what the outcome is. Thanks Morbius!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:01 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
That is how I tested the felt

Old 10-07-2008, 09:16 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dtsoccer6
good point, maybe a test with a heat gun before install. I'll let everyone know what the outcome is. Thanks Morbius!
I'll wait for your test results. Thanks in advance for doing this.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:07 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Test Results:
Ok, so the heat gun at the high temp owned the glue on the strip of Velcro. On the mid temp, made it sticky, but not messy. So I said what the hell and I tried it.

To my surprise, it works very well. Leaves no nasty residue and it sticks better than the 3M stick tape it came with. It obviously has a much stronger hold on the heat shield and is as easy as plug and play when removing it. Hope it helps!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
After reading the above 138 posts I still lack answers to basic questions:

1. What is the temperature delta measured on the outside of the scoop/hood after a timed hard run?

2. What is the temperature delta measured on the turbo's hot and cold side after a timed hard run and engine shutdown in 5 minute intervals for the next 30 minutes?

In case measurements to item 1 show a decline one may suspect that measurements to item 2 may show an increase.

The manufacturer and the dealers are silent on the issue so maybe a user may be interested to run these measurements.

The concern is that while no significant temperature drop is measured on the outside of the scoop/hood, a temperature increase may be measured on the turbocharger after engine shutdown.

Anybody interested to know if their $200 shield is a cosmetic only mod that has the negative effect of cooking their engine?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
I talked to both M7 and Alta and they both state that no temperature measurements have been done and that none are planned. I offered to buy the product with a return arrangement in case it shows no benefits but it was declined.

If anybody has this product installed and they are willing to perform some simple measurements please pm me with an Email address. I will provide the equipment and instructions.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:35 PM
wongtonsup
1st Gear
Has anyone with a 2009 MCS had this problem? They have a turbocharger, not a supercharger now and maybe it doesn't get hot enough anymore?

Old 12-19-2008, 01:22 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
I have a JCW 09 and the scoop did bend. Check here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...new-jcw09.html