Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Straight answers.... Alta Unichip.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008 | 09:32 AM
CaMiniMe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scott48
I had issues cuz of the harnesses but once I got the 3rd gen. harness, no more issues for many miles.
so how has the unichip treated you this far? have you gotten ANY CELs since you got your new harness? also have you taken it to the track at all since you chipped it?

Old 07-31-2008 | 11:08 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Originally Posted by com3tojo3
When I get a CEL I clear it with my Scangauage. You still got that exhaust by any chance?
YA I do, I decided to polish the DP and keep the entire system. The car was forsale however I decided I didnt want to start all over.

Old 07-31-2008 | 11:29 AM
com3tojo3
3rd Gear
Nice, my wifes gonna be driving the car most of next year so im wondering if I should even put time in effort into my car right now. I might just go ahead and put an exhaust on it just for kicks

Old 08-05-2008 | 03:59 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by com3tojo3
Nice, my wifes gonna be driving the car most of next year so im wondering if I should even put time in effort into my car right now. I might just go ahead and put an exhaust on it just for kicks
Can never go wrong with an Exhaust! Let me know if you are interested in one from us!

Old 08-06-2008 | 08:09 PM
flaco
4th Gear
This is pretty incredible. The vendor who profits from selling the chip backs out of warranty and refers you to the original manufacturer with whom you have no contractual privity. I think you are turning your car into a lemon if you start installing this type of aftermarket hype parts. Research state lemon law cases for ecu modifications if you have any doubt or just ask your lawyer.

Old 08-06-2008 | 09:41 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by flaco
This is pretty incredible. The vendor who profits from selling the chip backs out of warranty and refers you to the original manufacturer with whom you have no contractual privity. I think you are turning your car into a lemon if you start installing this type of aftermarket hype parts. Research state lemon law cases for ecu modifications if you have any doubt or just ask your lawyer.
Oh boy! This again! I thought the group edjumacted you last time!

UniChip ASKED to take care of the clients DIRECTLY! ALTA hasn't and WON'T abandon their clients. Sheesh!

Old 08-06-2008 | 10:25 PM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by flaco
I actually had problems with my chip but I do have to stand on Alta's side here. Adam + Jeff did everything they could to make sure I was a satisfied customer and even though my chip did not fully work I would still and definitely plan on doing business with them.

I think the people here in NAM have already figured out you are Lemon law lawyer. Seriously, you keep using your previous experience on a reputable and honest company. I figured and read beforehand all of the possible consequences and it was my choice as a consumer to still proceed with teh purchase.

Old 08-06-2008 | 10:53 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lxjose9xl
I actually had problems with my chip but I do have to stand on Alta's side here. Adam + Jeff did everything they could to make sure I was a satisfied customer and even though my chip did not fully work I would still and definitely plan on doing business with them.

I think the people here in NAM have already figured out you are Lemon law lawyer. Seriously, you keep using your previous experience on a reputable and honest company. I figured and read beforehand all of the possible consequences and it was my choice as a consumer to still proceed with teh purchase.
The only posts I ever see by flaco are complaining about aftermarket parts. He/she loathes them and any company that make them. He/she has nothing positive or constructive to say, ever, and is best ignored.

Old 08-07-2008 | 07:13 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by FugitiveAI
The only posts I ever see by flaco are complaining about aftermarket parts. He/she loathes them and any company that make them. He/she has nothing positive or constructive to say, ever, and is best ignored.
AMEN!

Old 08-07-2008 | 07:34 AM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
To try and get this thread back on track. With out ANY mods on a standard 07 R56 S what sort of power increase should i expect?
The 750 price tag is a but much but looking at Hondata pro"s prices i see this is about right. Adam do you have any vendors in Houston? I would love it if there was someone local i could talk to if any problems or for reflash options.

BLH

Old 08-07-2008 | 10:05 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
I think it's 549 now.

Old 08-07-2008 | 10:25 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
So wait...where can we get the plug and play upgrade now that Alta doesn't carry it anymore? I know that has probably been covered but i'm lost lol

Old 08-07-2008 | 03:12 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
I still wish i had 550! =/ maybe after i do tubes and such

Old 08-07-2008 | 05:28 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
ColinMc... Alta still carries it, but Unichip is handling support issues directly.

BrandonH, Alta has posted dyno results for the car with only the unichip. I believe peak gain was 20HP and 25 ft./lbs. Torque. It should be pretty easy to find the graphs here or on the Alta website.

It truly is the most performance gain you can get for your dollar even before they lowered the price.

Old 08-07-2008 | 10:03 PM
CaMiniMe
2nd Gear
so has anyone with the 3rd generation harness experienced any problems? if so was it a problem that put the car into limp mode? i will most likely go this route if i know for sure the new harness' are fault free.
thanks

Old 08-08-2008 | 06:15 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CaMiniMe
so has anyone with the 3rd generation harness experienced any problems? if so was it a problem that put the car into limp mode? i will most likely go this route if i know for sure the new harness' are fault free.
thanks
I've been running my Alta PnP for about 2 months now with no issues.

Just my .02, your mileage may vary......

rsr

Old 08-08-2008 | 09:05 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Harness isn't the issue.

Old 08-08-2008 | 10:10 AM
CaMiniMe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JAceMin
Harness isn't the issue.
ifyou dont mind, what is the issue?

Old 08-08-2008 | 10:14 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Harness isn't the issue.

Harness HAS been the issue according to UniChip. There was some initial concerns about mapping and inlet hoses but UniChip says for 100% the harnesses are the issues.

Hardwired UniChips in R56 with ALTA mapping are 100% a-ok no issues at all. Hope that helps!

Old 08-08-2008 | 10:28 AM
The Greek
1st Gear
Harness isn't the issue.
Would u care to elaborate?

From the research I have done, it seems that "most" of the issues is harness related. I thought people with hardwired units had 0 problems...

Old 08-08-2008 | 12:24 PM
orangecrush
|
6th Gear
I'm wondering too... because for the most part, I haven't heard of anyone with an issue that had it hardwired....

Mark

Old 08-08-2008 | 12:52 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Harness HAS been the issue according to UniChip. There was some initial concerns about mapping and inlet hoses but UniChip says for 100% the harnesses are the issues.

Hardwired UniChips in R56 with ALTA mapping are 100% a-ok no issues at all. Hope that helps!

If this is the case:

1. Why since fixing the issues I had have I not experienced any more CEL's?

2. Why has there been ZERO offers, comments, postings about replacing these defective 3rd gen harnesses? Cause if you sold a bad harness, and are aware of that, shouldn't you have contacted me to let me know?

Old 08-11-2008 | 10:47 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI

Still waiting....

Old 08-11-2008 | 12:32 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
If this is the case:

2. Why has there been ZERO offers, comments, postings about replacing these defective 3rd gen harnesses? Cause if you sold a bad harness, and are aware of that, shouldn't you have contacted me to let me know?
I don't think anybody figured out about this 3rd gen issue until Unichip started getting the harnesses back and testing them. I think what you're talking about is a ground connection issue on a few of them. Not enough to start contacting everyone. The tell-tale sign is a sudden flurry of CEL's all at once.

If you're not getting any more CEL's, rejoice , but at this point if you have questions I'd recommend calling Jack at Unichip.

Old 08-11-2008 | 09:36 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
If this is the case:

Hello again,

Sorry for any confusion or if I missed something. The only way a 3rd Gen harness would be considered defective is if it is determined by UniChip based on your feedback to them on what the car is doing and then a physical inspection by UniChip USA.

I honestly think you and I are missing each other on some communication either in this forum, or PM's or something. SO, PLEASE call me tomorrow or e-mail me your TEL# during the day so we can discuss. Feel free then to publish whatever here on the board, but I think until we chat, we will continue to miss what the other is trying to say.

I will be in the office from 8 am to 12:15 Pm tomorrow. Then on my cell.

Hope to chat then!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Straight answers.... Alta Unichip.