Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Straight answers.... Alta Unichip.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008 | 04:06 PM
orangecrush
|
6th Gear
Straight answers.... Alta Unichip.

First, let me say that this is NOT a negative post against Alta. I have spoken to Adam several times (via PM) and he has been most helpful and gracious.

Having said that, I simply want to know from those that have installed a Unichip,

How many of you still have it?

How many of you have CEL codes?

I ask this not to be a negative thread but I simply want to know what's going on out there.

Over the last few months, I have read many posts about people who absolutely LOVE their unichip ecm and those that had so many issues they had to remove it.

So, in one thread, ONLY for those that have had it installed, simply tell me if you still have it and do you have problems?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 07-27-2008 | 04:57 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
Unichip is simple amazing best modification I have ever done to any car I have owned. Installation is something my grandma could probably figure out and quality is excellent. After about 500 miles with the chip installed my car did throw a CEL but it was due to the map selector switch flipping to the second map while driving, It was a quick fix by shutting off the engine and flipping to the other map. I would recommend the Unichip with %100 confidence that you would be satisfied.

Old 07-27-2008 | 06:41 PM
BDBMCS
1st Gear
cels

Just wondering...If the "b" map throws a cel, what is the point of having it? I ask because when I tried the "b" map I also got a cel. So if its notusable why have it? I do feel more power with the "a" map, so havingthis is a plus.

Old 07-27-2008 | 06:54 PM
orangecrush
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BDBMCS
Just wondering...If the "b" map throws a cel, what is the point of having it? I ask because when I tried the "b" map I also got a cel. So if its notusable why have it? I do feel more power with the "a" map, so havingthis is a plus.
"a" (0) is not the custom map, correct? Isn't "b/1" the specific custom map?

Perhaps the only times people are getting CEL's are with the "b/1" maps.

I'm trying to find some sort of consistency to know exactly what the problems are.

I don't personally like piggyback systems but I wouldn't be against this particular unit if I didn't keep hearing about people with CEL's.

I'm trying to be patient but it seems our R56 choices are limited.

The Unichip seems to have some issues...

No one seems to have installed the GIAC unit that I know about (except the 3 Helix mentioned back in May)

And no one knows if the JCW is going to materialize for the automatics.

Soooo, hence my thread about the Unichip.... I'm really trying to be patient.

Old 07-27-2008 | 07:32 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
Im also curious, but with alta's exhaust special i dont know which way to go!=[

Old 07-27-2008 | 09:02 PM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Had problems on fiances' MCSa...received a total of 3 units with different harnesses and tunes. First cel would come on and car would turn off on both maps. 2nd and 3rd sets car would drive just fine with added power then all of the sudden would jolt pretty crazily.

Decided to return for additional Alta merchandise.

Whatever your decision is I think you wil come out alright. Alta (IMO) has exceptional customer service. Even through a worst possible outcome, customer ended up satisfied. I can also tell you Adam and Jeff will do anything possible to make sure it is right.

And to my story there are possibly 50 other people with no problems, go figure.

Old 07-27-2008 | 09:38 PM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by got.pho?
Im also curious, but with alta's exhaust special i dont know which way to go!=[
Get the exhaust while its cheap if you want it! I don't think it makes sense to spend $800+ on an exhaust, but thats just my .02

Old 07-27-2008 | 10:30 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Have the Unichip, with roughly 800 miles on it, the 500 being pretty bloody troublesome. Many CEL's, many issues, the chip amplified the issues, I just fixed the last of them. Not really giddy with the tune, I am awaiting the ability to use flux, or find someone else to do a tune.

Old 07-27-2008 | 11:16 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Well thats to bad about the ECU, I had made numerous emails to Alta but they went unanswered. Unfortunately the model seems to suffer from tremendous reliability problems. The Idea of the plug an play piggy back was or is a great concept, living abroad in Europe there is not really many tuners who can flash my ECU. This saddens me, however I would never want to spend over 700 dollars for peformance and accomplish the absolute opposite. I was actually hoping to hear rave reviews and was crossing my fingers that the issues were isolated, I guess not

Old 07-28-2008 | 01:53 AM
com3tojo3
3rd Gear
I had the Unichip on for a few months, and it mostly ran great. Every once and a while though, I would get a CEL or half power lights. They would remedy themselves after a few minutes, but one day a couple weeks ago I took a 2 hour drive and got half power lights six different times. Thewould go away only to come back a few minutes later. Id had it, so off the ECU went. I honestly thinks its a harness issue not a programming issue. You really have to stretch the OEM harness to get it on, and I think after a few weeks of driving it loosens itself up. Maybe I will wire it in myself, but for now its staying off.

Old 07-28-2008 | 07:54 AM
ACooperS
3rd Gear
Had problems with the early units. Have had this one on for many thousands of kilometers. Always use the ALTA tune map, and with turboback, intake, intercooler and tubes, the power/weight ratio is amazing. No cutouts, flat spots or loss of power.

Old 07-28-2008 | 08:57 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ACooperS
Had problems with the early units. Have had this one on for many thousands of kilometers. Always use the ALTA tune map, and with turboback, intake, intercooler and tubes, the power/weight ratio is amazing. No cutouts, flat spots or loss of power.

Gotta say, I have a gen 3, I really am not impressed with the curve from 1500 to 3K, there is an ugly flat spot there. Then the boost drops out, and slams back, really not impressive control at all. The engine runs like a skittish rabbit, makes impressive power, but really not how I would tune it.

Old 07-28-2008 | 09:31 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JAceMin
Gotta say, I have a gen 3, I really am not impressed with the curve from 1500 to 3K, there is an ugly flat spot there. Then the boost drops out, and slams back, really not impressive control at all. The engine runs like a skittish rabbit, makes impressive power, but really not how I would tune it.
skittish rabbit So its like a 2 stroke dirtbike?

Old 07-28-2008 | 09:38 AM
jaridp
4th Gear
got a unichip for my clubman S...after roughly 1000ish miles the CEL popped on. Unichip came and got it and had it for a week..Got it back and the CEL popped on right when I turned it on. About a hundred miles later it went off. Now it randomly appears and shuts off on its own.

Old 07-28-2008 | 10:20 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jaridp
got a unichip for my clubman S...after roughly 1000ish miles the CEL popped on. Unichip came and got it and had it for a week..Got it back and the CEL popped on right when I turned it on. About a hundred miles later it went off. Now it randomly appears and shuts off on its own.
this is discouraging.. I just received my chip from them and I am now wondering if I am going to have problems. I have had numerous piggback comps and have never had a single issue, hopefully that trend continues.

Old 07-28-2008 | 10:28 AM
ACooperS
3rd Gear
Hmm I'm not seeing that at all. I'm not noticing a boost drop, seems to just pull right through the power band. WAY better than stock through the 3K area.

Old 07-28-2008 | 10:31 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ACooperS
Hmm I'm not seeing that at all. I'm not noticing a boost drop, seems to just pull right through the power band. WAY better than stock through the 3K area.
I think he was commenting about a stock ecu..?

Old 07-28-2008 | 11:46 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dead Ringer
I think he was commenting about a stock ecu..?

If you mean me, then no I am talking about the Unichip. Stock isn't as bad, but then stock it doesn't make as much power.

Old 07-28-2008 | 12:48 PM
Lockness75
1st Gear
I have taken mine off after getting several CELs. I just don't want to have to worry about it anymore, because its a pain, wondering if it is screwing something up. I don't always have time to run down to Autozone to get it checked and cleared. I know thats the chance you take on such mods but hey I gave it a shot. I just think my UniChip is blah......I'm am glad to see some success stories though.

Old 07-28-2008 | 01:14 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by matty125
Well thats to bad about the ECU, I had made numerous emails to Alta but they went unanswered. Unfortunately the model seems to suffer from tremendous reliability problems. The Idea of the plug an play piggy back was or is a great concept, living abroad in Europe there is not really many tuners who can flash my ECU. This saddens me, however I would never want to spend over 700 dollars for peformance and accomplish the absolute opposite. I was actually hoping to hear rave reviews and was crossing my fingers that the issues were isolated, I guess not
Thanks for the post! My apologies if you didn't get any replies back. I would love to know the e-mail address that you sent them from to find out if we got them, didn't get them, or got them replied and then they didn't get to you.

We DO answer e-mails that we get PERIOD. No matter how silly or ridiculous we answer em.

As a side note I would not recommend this product be shipped to EU either. We had one client that had a problem with it. He liked to cruise the autobahn at 140+ and he would get a CEL. Since we can't test in that manner here, we had to have it sent back and promptly credited.

PLEASE let me know the e-mail so I can research! Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2008 | 01:15 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Which map? Have you spoken to Jeff or Jack about the concerns? We would love to fix it! Let me know!

Old 07-28-2008 | 01:16 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Lockness75
I have taken mine off after getting several CELs. I just don't want to have to worry about it anymore, because its a pain, wondering if it is screwing something up. I don't always have time to run down to Autozone to get it checked and cleared. I know thats the chance you take on such mods but hey I gave it a shot. I just think my UniChip is blah......I'm am glad to see some success stories though.
Of course sorry it didn't work out!

Old 07-28-2008 | 01:18 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
to the group:

Due to several clients having concerns that we were not able to resolve, UniChip USA is now handling any concerns directly. The few clients I have sent to them have had good experiences with Jack and his staff.

We stand behind our mapping 100%, and it is unfortunate that any harnesses have detracted from that power benefit. All clients with hardwired units have had 0% failures. So if anyone is wanting a hardwired option, please let me know.

Also, if anyone needs more info from me or my staff, never hesitate to let us know!

Old 07-28-2008 | 01:24 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for the post! My apologies if you didn't get any replies back. I would love to know the e-mail address that you sent them from to find out if we got them, didn't get them, or got them replied and then they didn't get to you.

We DO answer e-mails that we get PERIOD. No matter how silly or ridiculous we answer em.

As a side note I would not recommend this product be shipped to EU either. We had one client that had a problem with it. He liked to cruise the autobahn at 140+ and he would get a CEL. Since we can't test in that manner here, we had to have it sent back and promptly credited.

PLEASE let me know the e-mail so I can research! Thanks again!
when i email you its through your link.... my computer defaults to email and i forget which one it is.
It surprised me too because you guys do usually answer emails, Im not sweatin it. I even emailed you about the unpolished DP that sales hooked me up with. In case you didnt hear, You got MAJOR props for some SUPER bolt on turbo screamin power. The email IM guessing is, well Ill pm you... PM sent... ALSO ya I like to drive 140 plus too, Adam...if you want some EURO testing Ill send you my addy. Hell you can send me ANY PART , HELL advertise if its AUTOBAHN tested, LOUDLY!!!! my car will top at 153...thats ONLY with ALTA parts.

Old 07-28-2008 | 01:43 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by matty125
when i email you its through your link.... my computer defaults to email and i forget which one it is.
It surprised me too because you guys do usually answer emails, Im not sweatin it. I even emailed you about the unpolished DP that sales hooked me up with. In case you didnt hear, You got MAJOR props for some SUPER bolt on turbo screamin power. The email IM guessing is, well Ill pm you... PM sent... ALSO ya I like to drive 140 plus too, Adam...if you want some EURO testing Ill send you my addy. Hell you can send me ANY PART , HELL advertise if its AUTOBAHN tested, LOUDLY!!!! my car will top at 153...thats ONLY with ALTA parts.
NICE! Will be in touch!

BTW: No PMs as of this post!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Straight answers.... Alta Unichip.