Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Forge Bov + OEM noise maker = 2 BOV?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008 | 03:21 AM
Eddie818
|
1st Gear
Forge Bov + OEM noise maker = 2 BOV?

hi everyone,

As we know, there is a noise maker in our R56 MCS.

Out of my curiousity, im wondering by putting a forge BOV, wouldnt that cause two BOV in place since we didnt move away the OEM noise maker?

For example, alta BOV actually replaces the OEM noise maker. However, a forge BOV dont. So, is forge BOV good to our MCS since it sounds like it is compressing lots of air out. After that, OEM noise maker will make another noise?

Sorry that my question might sounds really dumb. Thanks everyone~!!

Old 08-04-2008 | 03:41 AM
NZ_M3
2nd Gear
No it doesn't.

In fact the Forge BOV "ADAPTOR" is probably a better option for OEM boost.

The Forge item isn't actually a BOV. It doesn't have any moving parts.

It is an aluminium sandwich plate that fits between the turbo housing and the factory Electronic BOV.

Rather than having the boosted air recirculated back into the turbo inlet, it simply vents it atmospherically thus creating the noise. The control is actually still made by the factory electronic BOV, not the forge item, which as already stated is just an adaptor with no moving parts.

The design itself doesn't disrupt MAF signal or any signals to manifold or the wastegate, so it's perfectly safe for an OEM vehicle - without any disruptions to power or torque.

If you run higher boost however, I'd recommend an aftermarket unit as the OEM electronic vent valve really isn't up to the task for larger boost applications.

Old 08-04-2008 | 05:08 AM
Eddie818
|
1st Gear
Thank you so much, thats a really good answer.

People have been calling forge "adaptor" as forge "BOV" and thats what confuses me. Thanks~!!

Old 10-16-2008 | 06:41 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
im running the alta boost tubes and just ordered the forge bov should i worry about the so-called pound and a half more boost?

Originally Posted by NZ_M3
No it doesn't.

In fact the Forge BOV "ADAPTOR" is probably a better option for OEM boost.

The Forge item isn't actually a BOV. It doesn't have any moving parts.

It is an aluminium sandwich plate that fits between the turbo housing and the factory Electronic BOV.

Rather than having the boosted air recirculated back into the turbo inlet, it simply vents it atmospherically thus creating the noise. The control is actually still made by the factory electronic BOV, not the forge item, which as already stated is just an adaptor with no moving parts.

The design itself doesn't disrupt MAF signal or any signals to manifold or the wastegate, so it's perfectly safe for an OEM vehicle - without any disruptions to power or torque.

If you run higher boost however, I'd recommend an aftermarket unit as the OEM electronic vent valve really isn't up to the task for larger boost applications.

Old 10-16-2008 | 07:05 PM
seebobgo
2nd Gear
Would someone explain WTF a noise maker is? Is that the whizzing noise I hear?

Old 10-28-2008 | 08:49 AM
Mini for life!
3rd Gear
it works just like a blow off valve. This device is designed to vent sporty noise toward the driver. But its crappy. so if i were you i'd go ahead and re=place that.
And the whizzing sound that you may be hearing is just the turbo it self spooling.

Old 10-28-2008 | 05:05 PM
seebobgo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini for life!
it works just like a blow off valve. This device is designed to vent sporty noise toward the driver. But its crappy. so if i were you i'd go ahead and re=place that.
And the whizzing sound that you may be hearing is just the turbo it self spooling.
I see, say's the blind man. Thanks

Old 12-03-2008 | 11:22 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
i'm still confused on the forge bov. What exactly will it enhance? No power gain, but quicker spooling? or is it just for sound??

Old 12-04-2008 | 12:37 AM
etalj
6th Gear
it's mainly used to stop pressure spiking in the turbocharger, which theoretically should lengthen the life of the turbocharger. As the boost pressure is increased, the damage done from spiking would be greater, so having a BOV that releases the pressure more effectively (in other words, that can keep up with the increased boost) will prolong the life of a boosted turbocharger

Old 12-09-2008 | 10:20 AM
TerryD
4th Gear
Can the "noise maker" be removed without effecting the function of the turbo? Defenders of speed has a delete kit for $30. Is there a down side?

Old 12-09-2008 | 10:34 AM
fernflex
3rd Gear
The Noise Maker doesnt affect in anyway the turbo in fact Iif you remove the noise maker its helps you boost better.

Old 12-09-2008 | 01:39 PM
TerryD
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fernflex
The Noise Maker doesnt affect in anyway the turbo in fact Iif you remove the noise maker its helps you boost better.
Is the DOS kit a good way to do this?

Old 12-09-2008 | 02:51 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
why not get boost tubes and kill 2 birds in one stone? eliminate the noise maker and gain a little power

Old 12-09-2008 | 03:11 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
you would have to get exhaust depots then with the hks bov.altas dont remove the noise maker.

Old 12-09-2008 | 03:13 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
the guys @ alta could hook him up with the BOV plug, but either way, EXD or Alta... gains are there

Old 12-09-2008 | 03:18 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
i have the altas and yes they are great.but im wanting to get rid of the waste gate.and using the hks bov instead of the waste gate leaves air flow in one tube instead of spliting into 2.

just my 2 cents

Old 01-07-2009 | 02:08 PM
java6673
1st Gear
I just install the forge Blow Adaptor, but I soon I run the car, the check engine signal show on, but I notice only in low RPM. Any fix for this

Old 02-12-2009 | 04:56 AM
TerryD
4th Gear
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I am still not clear what deleting and pluging the noise maker will do. I would think some waste gas is being vented and the noise maker is using this for its sound. If this is true, plugging it is preventing the turbo from venting. Even if it is very little, isn't it part of the design, and not deletable without some effect?

Old 08-26-2009 | 12:09 PM
Vivid
Neutral
Forge Bov + OEM noise maker = 2 BOV?

Hey guys, you are all talking over my head, but here is my situation. I brought my 2007 mini S into the dealer for the oil change a month or more ago and since then I don't think my car makes the noise it used to. Did the guy help himself to my "noise maker"?
My son hates me to call it a noise maker, says "don't call it that!". He's never been to this site so he don't know it's ok here to call it a noise maker. Anyway, I think my car does not growl like it used to. It's not as much fun to drive. Can the noisemaker be taken out without a lot of trouble?
I'm going to send my son to this web site so he can read what you are all talking about. I'm just glad to find the discussion. and thanks!

Old 08-26-2009 | 12:35 PM
GCWILEY
Neutral
I'm her son.

Now that I read all of this, it's starting to make sense. It was very difficult for me to believe that there was actually a part called a 'noise maker'. Additionally, Vivid called it a 'noise maker card'. She said the dealer removed the noise maker card, so it makes less noise. I understood this to mean he swapped the ECU (or card) from her JCW back to the original S ECU, or worse, the base model ECU. With the larger injectors in the JCW, I feared that we may have a serious issue to contend with. I just didn't want her to worry about it until I did a little research. Well, now she knows the rest of the story.

However, while we're on the subject, is there any way for me to tell which ECU she has? I'd really like to verify. The dealer's been a little shady.

Old 08-26-2009 | 01:53 PM
GCWILEY
Neutral
Aha, a little searching on this site reveals that the JCW includes a ECU tune, not a separate ECU. I think my Mom's car is fine.

Now to figure out if the LSD is actually there...

Old 08-26-2009 | 04:22 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
your car has a Diverter Valve, the Diverter Valve is like a Blow Off Valve only instead of Blowing the air outside to the atmosphere, it Diverts it back into the system. If you had a Blow Off Valve you would hear the pppssshhh noise that is very loud.

The Noise Maker is not the DV or a BOV, it is a useless piece of tubing that vents noise from your cold side boost tube into the firewall of the car. Mini did this because they made the car to quiet and people couldn't hear the whooosh of the turbo. It is a completely useless piece of plastic that does nothing.

If your dealer did remove it (which they did not ) then good riddance, it actually adds drag to your system. I hope that helped

Old 08-26-2009 | 05:46 PM
AkFarina
Banned
Yes the noise make is pointless it does not vent anything its solid

Old 08-26-2009 | 10:08 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
So what noise doese the 'noise maker' make? Sorry im just kinda confused. I bought and installed the Forge BOV adapter from a member on here and im totally hooked on the sound!

Old 08-27-2009 | 06:51 AM
AkFarina
Banned
um im not sure its got a diafram in it that is hard plastic. if i could cut mine in half i would and post a pic but its not near me

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Forge Bov + OEM noise maker = 2 BOV?