Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Want to add aftermarket BOV

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008 | 08:58 PM
DVSAZN
|
2nd Gear
Want to add aftermarket BOV

So I'm looking to install a HKS BOV... As seen in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WspyHFOP70M

Just wanting to get some feed back on this... Any negatives on this? Bad for tha car? I understand that Forge & Alta makes one also... Not to keen putting the Alta since you have to drill.. As far as the Forge one goes I looked up some vids on YouTube and it seems to sound different on each Mini... Plus it doesn't seem very loud...

Any feedback is appreciated...

Old 08-08-2008 | 09:24 PM
masterd78
MANIAC
I have the forge, and it is pretty loud. I don't know how loud you want it, but I wouldn't want it any more than the forge offers. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-08-2008 | 09:30 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Just say no.

Old 08-09-2008 | 07:05 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Just say no.

+1

Old 08-09-2008 | 08:11 AM
DVSAZN
|
2nd Gear
NE reasons? "Just say no" isn't very informative...

Old 08-09-2008 | 08:17 AM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
goin a bit off topic here but wouldnt a bov and the stock waste gate be letting out to much air? i know there is a bov forum but its to long to search for my question when it may not even b there

Old 08-09-2008 | 08:32 AM
SlowB00st
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DVSAZN
So I'm looking to install a HKS BOV... As seen in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WspyHFOP70M

Just wanting to get some feed back on this... Any negatives on this? Bad for tha car? I understand that Forge & Alta makes one also... Not to keen putting the Alta since you have to drill.. As far as the Forge one goes I looked up some vids on YouTube and it seems to sound different on each Mini... Plus it doesn't seem very loud...

Any feedback is appreciated...

With the Alta and any other vacuum activated BOV like the ssqv you pictured you just need a MAP sensor adapter from ATP or ALTA. The forge does not require it just because its not an actual BOV just a spacer.

Old 08-09-2008 | 08:41 AM
DVSAZN
|
2nd Gear
Yeah I was thinking of getting the Forge since it's so cheap but on the YouTube vids I've seen it doesn't sound very loud even with the hood opened.. So I can't imagine how it'll sound while driving... Plus the the HKS BOV sounds so much better... However, if there's any negatives (which I'm trying to find out) that outweigh putting on the HKS then of course I'll consider something else...

I have a buddy who does mail order parts that can probably get me the HKS for cheap but I'm assuming it's still gonna be in the $200/$300 range...

Old 08-09-2008 | 10:05 AM
pillar
5th Gear
i just thought bov were cool until an evo with an aftermarket bov gunned it at a dig...

since then, i promised myself that i would never go that route.

just my opinion

Old 08-09-2008 | 10:16 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Are you looking to replace the factory diverter valve or are you looking to supplement it? Are you doing it for acoustic reasons [more PSSSHHHTT] or have you found your current setup is surging the compressor too often?

If you're looking for more rice-rice-baby, make it easy on yourself and install a cold-air intake. You'll hear lots more diverter valve on the overrun without complicating the setup and possibly confusing the ECU.

Old 08-09-2008 | 10:29 AM
Shrashmere
2nd Gear
This is a noob question, but exactly that does a BOV do for the mini? besides sounding cool.

Old 08-09-2008 | 11:05 AM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
realeses extra air produced by the turbo

Old 08-09-2008 | 05:02 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
NE reasons? "Just say no" isn't very informative...
See below...

Originally Posted by Ryephile
Are you looking to replace the factory diverter valve or are you looking to supplement it? Are you doing it for acoustic reasons [more PSSSHHHTT] or have you found your current setup is surging the compressor too often?

If you're looking for more rice-rice-baby, make it easy on yourself and install a cold-air intake. You'll hear lots more diverter valve on the overrun without complicating the setup and possibly confusing the ECU.
Ryephile said it well. It sounds like you just want the noise, get an intake and I promise you'll be satisfied.

You don't need a BOV and they can often mess things up more than it helps. Like he said, unless your having problems with compressor surge, (I'm pretty sure you aren't...) then there's no need.

Old 08-09-2008 | 05:58 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
Yeah I was thinking of getting the Forge since it's so cheap but on the YouTube vids I've seen it doesn't sound very loud even with the hood opened.. So I can't imagine how it'll sound while driving... Plus the the HKS BOV sounds so much better... However, if there's any negatives (which I'm trying to find out) that outweigh putting on the HKS then of course I'll consider something else...

I have a buddy who does mail order parts that can probably get me the HKS for cheap but I'm assuming it's still gonna be in the $200/$300 range...

I don't know if you saw my wife's car with the forge BOV but it is pretty loud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoPDh_Vp2jg
it was taken with a Kodak digital camera so the sound isn't great but you get the idea.

Old 08-09-2008 | 10:09 PM
DVSAZN
|
2nd Gear
Yeah I've pretty much made up my mind of forgoing the HKS BOV...

I'm just going to put on an intake, see how that sounds and then add the Forge DPV if needed...

Now to side track this thread... Alta or DDM... They're both roughly the same price but I'm leaning towards the DDM because it's pretty sealed but the bad thing is I'm tempted to get the RAM scoop also... heh... Argh, $4 bills!

How well does it hold up as far as water goes?? Like if some big **** truck splashes a crap load of water onto your hood?? We get some really big puddles here in TX and quick when it rains hard...

Had issues with my AEM CAI on my Civic back in the day...

Old 08-10-2008 | 12:32 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear

I'm just going to put on an intake, see how that sounds and then add the Forge DPV if needed...

Now to side track this thread... Alta or DDM... They're both roughly the same price but I'm leaning towards the DDM because it's pretty sealed but the bad thing is I'm tempted to get the RAM scoop also... heh... Argh, $4 bills!

How well does it hold up as far as water goes?? Like if some big **** truck splashes a crap load of water onto your hood?? We get some really big puddles here in TX and quick when it rains hard...

Had issues with my AEM CAI on my Civic back in the day...
You made a good choice!

I'm partial to the DDM...well, cuz I have one. I've always been happy with it, and I'm not sure of pricing now, but it was $100 cheaper than the Alta when I bought it. I have the street version though. The ram scoop on the race version is cool, and I really don't think water would be an issue, however its important to keep in mind where that ram scoop travels. While the idea of it is good, the metal "ram air" tube that funnels the air into the intake will sit directly above your blazing hot turbo. I'd imagine that it will get pretty hot in that ram scoop, thus defeating the whole purpose of it in the first place. DDM says they've tested it and that its not an issue, but its something to keep in mind in my opinion.

I'd recommend the street version and just open up your hood scoop, that will work fine and help give it more fresh outside air, plus help get air into the engine bay to cool it down a bit.

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:49 AM
DVSAZN
|
2nd Gear
Man, there isn't much choices as far as intakes goes on Mini's... Plus I notice all the intakes don't even replace the damn piping... Just the elbow...

Guess I have some debating to do...

Old 08-10-2008 | 10:03 AM
pillar
5th Gear
you can always go alta and spend an extra few bucks on their "boost" tubes (i think thats what they are called)

Old 08-10-2008 | 10:03 AM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
IMHO I think the stock intake with a foam filter works best. The BOV will provide more than enough sound

Old 08-10-2008 | 10:28 AM
Warped1966
5th Gear
I have the DDMWorks full race intake on my 2007 MCS and I've had no issues with water or heat from the turbo. I couldn't be happier with it.

Old 08-10-2008 | 03:51 PM
DVSAZN
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Warped1966
I have the DDMWorks full race intake on my 2007 MCS and I've had no issues with water or heat from the turbo. I couldn't be happier with it.
Do you have the air scoop also?? Not worried about the intake, I'm worried about the air scoop bringing in water directly to the filter media...

Do you guys with the Alta's intakes or the DDM run the silicone tubing Alta offers? Or do you just run the intake kit?

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:42 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Do you guys with the Alta's intakes or the DDM run the silicone tubing Alta offers? Or do you just run the intake kit?
The silicone tubing is not worth it in my opinion. They charge some obscene amount of money for them...I think it was $300 something for their silicone boost tubes. It's not worth it one bit. The stock ones work fine.

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:14 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Do you have the air scoop also?? Not worried about the intake, I'm worried about the air scoop bringing in water directly to the filter media...

Yes, I have the scoop too. I've driven Tug in pouring rain with no ill effects whatsoever. Again, I highly recommend the DDMWorks full race intake system.

Old 08-14-2008 | 04:15 PM
skabone
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Warped1966
Yes, I have the scoop too. I've driven Tug in pouring rain with no ill effects whatsoever. Again, I highly recommend the DDMWorks full race intake system.
will a strut tower bar still clear with the race intake system you have?

Old 08-14-2008 | 04:33 PM
pillar
5th Gear
i have a strut and the maf rubs on the underside of it with my DIY cai... it knocks a when you engage to first all the time that i had no choice but to put wrap the rubbing portion of the strut with some cloth.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Want to add aftermarket BOV