Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Need help, I need to make my car faster.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:13 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
or maybe a better tune?
Edit, I'll play nice

Last edited by JIMINNI; 09-03-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My car got about 10 pulls on the dyno, so that played a big part in the high #'s..... Thanks Jan

Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
or maybe a better tune?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:27 PM
billzcat1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdbsat
Ok, now I am confused. My fellow south texan says I am in good hands with the shop I am going to BUT everyone else says the price is way too high. sigh. I dont doubt this place does good work but I havnt had ONE person say that $300 is a reasonable price to pay for a pulley instal. I guess its up tp how bad I want this done. I couldnt take apart a remote control car much less a mini;s engine. Well, I have until tomorrow morning at 8 to make up my mind. I cant research much today because im working. Someone make me feel like I am not about to get ripped off!!!
If that is what the market will bear for pulley installs, you may not have a choice in paying $250-300. It seems like there is little competition so the price of the job has increased. Nonetheless, when you are all said and done you will love the way the pulley has transformed your car! Remember, even at $450 for the install, you are STILL getting the best hp/$ gain of any bolt-on. I guarantee you will walk away smiling.

For spark plugs, it is hard to go wrong with the JCW plugs. BKR7EQUP and the best place to buy them is www.ngk.com ~$8 each. Apparently the Brisk Silver plugs are very nice as well but probably won't last as long. Silver is far more conductive than platinum but much softer and doesn't tolerate high temps as well. The dollar amount of a shorter service interval is minimal, but if your intercooler blocks the spark plug tubes and is a PITA to remove (like mine) then the longer service interval might attract you.

The proper belt to use is the Napa 060535 belt - this puts the proper amount of tension on the supercharger belt. An 060539 belt will work and is easier to install but stretches out to be slightly too long as it is used. You *could* even use the stock belt (I did at first) and be happy with the install. However, installing a shorter belt is like doing the pulley all over again. I had no idea how much the belt was slipping until I got one that didn't. A recent comparison of dyno days on an otherwise un-changed car showed 30hp gained with a non-slipping belt. With that in mind, ditch the stock belt and at the least go for an 060539.

As for 15% vs 17% vs "how often do I go to redline?" The answer is this - with the pulley done you will want to go there all the time. If you chose to do more mods down the road (like *cough* an RMW tune) then your redline will be bumped up even higher. Another thing to consider is not just the supercharger RPM but the water pump. The water pump is driven off the back of the supercharger and risks cavitation at the higher speeds imposed by the more-reducing pulleys. I think this is how GRM blew their head gasket on their tracked 03 MCS project car - they put a 19% on it and went to track events spending lots of time in the high rpm range.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:33 PM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This is in regards to........

Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Edit, I'll play nice

Old 09-03-2008, 01:35 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
WOW. Very informative bill! Thanks a bunch, Like I said I will write a detailed report tomorrow afternoon. I cannot believe how excited I am. I had an Audi A4 before this, not modded or anything but I was never excited about it:P

I will look into the spark plugs as well tomorrow.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:07 PM
billzcat1
3rd Gear
Indeed. My last car was an Audi S4 2.7tt...modded the crap out of it... "stage 2+" as they call it (everything but the K04 turbos). Fast as all hell ~330hp/360 ft lbs, but I too was never really in love with it. I looked at a picture of it the other day and didn't even identify it as *my* car. Quite the opposite of the Mini which I love.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:16 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by billzcat1
Indeed. My last car was an Audi S4 2.7tt...modded the crap out of it... "stage 2+" as they call it (everything but the K04 turbos). Fast as all hell ~330hp/360 ft lbs, but I too was never really in love with it. I looked at a picture of it the other day and didn't even identify it as *my* car. Quite the opposite of the Mini which I love.
um, ok I might have LOVED YOUR A4!!! I was never interested in modding it/my a4 in any way. It was the 2.8 and kinda slugish. Automatic. I ended blowing up the engine and car, long story(I no longer drink:P) and this mini kinda fell into my lap and someone suggested I look at this site, that was last week. Now all I do id think about the stuff I want to add to it and a place I can go to learn how to do these things on my own!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
You may find that the modifications will become much more rewarding if you DIY. Maybe a pulley swap would not be the best place to lift a wrench for the first time, but you get the idea.

The intake, on the other hand, may be a great place to start.

Just have fun with it

Old 09-03-2008, 03:22 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_racer
You may find that the modifications will become much more rewarding if you DIY. Maybe a pulley swap would not be the best place to lift a wrench for the first time, but you get the idea.

The intake, on the other hand, may be a great place to start.

Just have fun with it
Thats what I plan on doing, I want an intake next. I will try to do that on my own. I cant wait to learn to do these things

Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats what I plan on doing, I want an intake next. I will try to do that on my own. I cant wait to learn to do these things
Since you seem like you want to do a lot of wrenching and learning, I suggest investing in this : http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...ce-manual.html

Old 09-03-2008, 06:48 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
the bentley is much more detailed.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Bentley

I found a decent price here: ($76)
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Cooper-Se...0496981&sr=8-4

And with free shipping it was a deal.

Change the head, camshaft, and header just one time and it pays for itself.

Ok, I guess you don't really need it for the header swap.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_racer
I found a decent price here: ($76)
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Cooper-Se...0496981&sr=8-4

And with free shipping it was a deal.

Change the head, camshaft, and header just one time and it pays for itself.

Ok, I guess you don't really need it for the header swap.
thanks racer. ordered and on its way

Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
thanks racer. ordered and on its way
Be prepared for a phone book sized kuh-thunk on your door stepwhen it shows up.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The only pulley I’ve had any issue installing is the V2 https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=123988 . No need to second guess your choice on the pulley or the price you’re paying; no need for an aftermarket intake yet either.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by k-huevo
The only pulley I’ve had any issue installing is the V2 https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=123988 . No need to second guess your choice on the pulley or the price you’re paying; no need for an aftermarket intake yet either.
Really Huevo? I was listening to the alta CAI intake on youtube and I want one ASAP!! lol. Why should I wait? Of course I take all of your advice seriously.

I cant wait, pulley should be done by noon tomorrow!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:41 AM
billzcat1
3rd Gear
I have the Alta intake too... its just a touch on the noisy side for me. If thats a problem, consider the JCW intake for the noise reduction under cruise where the Alta has a bit of a whistle. JCW with an Alta hose is where it's at, apparently... but thats a bit more $$$ than just going Alta.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 AM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Really Huevo? I was listening to the alta CAI intake on youtube and I want one ASAP!! lol. Why should I wait? Of course I take all of your advice seriously.

I cant wait, pulley should be done by noon tomorrow!
Most if not all of the big power R53's are using either the JCW airbox or the OEM. Something like the Alta would be good for sound but not much power-wise.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:16 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
I have the JCW CAI with the Alta tube and really do like it.
Not a cheap combo though, and then if you decide to upgrade from the paper element your wallet gets hurt again.

But it is a nice combo!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 AM
//MZero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another happy JCW intake owner

Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 AM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Ok, pulley installed. Problem solved, my car is faster!

ps. I want MORE!!!! lol. Exhaust, intake here I come. I think im hooked.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
I think it was a pretty safe bet that you would be smiling. Congrats!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:04 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, pulley installed. Problem solved, my car is faster!

ps. I want MORE!!!! lol. Exhaust, intake here I come. I think im hooked.
if you want to go a cheaper HP/$ route skip intake/exhaust for now. They offer the most audible changes, but not the most HP changes for the cost.

Intake ~$300 for 3-5hp
Exhaust ~$850 for 8hp
Header $850 for 10hp
Cam ~$800 installed for 8-10hp
Tune $500 for 15hp

Header and cam will have a greater effect when combined with tune as well. If you want to gain the most HP for cheapest price, start with the RMW header, then get the RMW cam, then the intake, and tune it all. Get the exhaust for the sound you like and not for HP. Unless of course you want to be a dyno queen on the boards and brag about big numbers if you aren't tracking it you don't need the extra 5hp...go for what sounds good.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
searocko
4th Gear
Agreed. I went with header, cam, and tune. Best bang for the buck.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:30 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
If the goal is to simply go faster, then the first mod should be driver skill.
BMW clubs as well as others have car control and high performance driving courses at reasonable prices.

Once you start modding, don't just add engine power. It would be best to make sure your suspension and brakes can handle it too.

If you look at the list of mods many on this thread have, you'll note that along with the pulleys and CAI's etc, there's also tires, springs, shocks, swaybars, camber plates etc etc....

Your wallet is in for shock....

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Need help, I need to make my car faster.