Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Need help, I need to make my car faster.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:03 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beken
If the goal is to simply go faster, then the first mod should be driver skill.
BMW clubs as well as others have car control and high performance driving courses at reasonable prices.

Once you start modding, don't just add engine power. It would be best to make sure your suspension and brakes can handle it too.

If you look at the list of mods many on this thread have, you'll note that along with the pulleys and CAI's etc, there's also tires, springs, shocks, swaybars, camber plates etc etc....

Your wallet is in for shock....
agreed...I have several track days under my belt (in other vehicles). Started off with suspension mods, not really doing power mods in any sort of a hurry. Will probably buy dedicated track pads before my first event in the Mini on the 26th.

But this guy doesn't intend to track he just wants to blast down the on-ramps faster...in that case, the other stuff isn't necessarily needed for him.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:57 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by //MZero
if you want to go a cheaper HP/$ route skip intake/exhaust for now. They offer the most audible changes, but not the most HP changes for the cost.

Intake ~$300 for 3-5hp
Exhaust ~$850 for 8hp
Header $850 for 10hp
Cam ~$800 installed for 8-10hp
Tune $500 for 15hp

Header and cam will have a greater effect when combined with tune as well. If you want to gain the most HP for cheapest price, start with the RMW header, then get the RMW cam, then the intake, and tune it all. Get the exhaust for the sound you like and not for HP. Unless of course you want to be a dyno queen on the boards and brag about big numbers if you aren't tracking it you don't need the extra 5hp...go for what sounds good.
Great post, I am not looking to race, I just like going fast! lol. I love the pulley and it looks like the consensus is to now do the header and cam. Do I do those both at the same time? Is a tune ONLY after I do everything ie intake, exhaust?

once again, you guys rock.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:57 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by //MZero

But this guy doesn't intend to track he just wants to blast down the on-ramps faster...in that case, the other stuff isn't necessarily needed for him.
Exactly

Old 09-04-2008, 05:29 PM
ClintTheMiniOwner
4th Gear
''What if I went ahead and out an intake into my car before the pulley for money reasons. Will I even notice a difference in the performance of my car?''

You can always trick yourself into thinking it made your car faster! Sometimes the thrill is all in your head. Which can be fun

OOPS! I was replying to page three! Didn't realize there were three more pages!! sorry a little late

Last edited by ClintTheMiniOwner; 09-04-2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Darn I phones!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:33 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
I cant seem to get my mini pic in my sig

Old 09-04-2008, 06:56 PM
billzcat1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ClintTheMiniOwner
'
You can always trick yourself into thinking it made your car faster!
So are you recommending a SprintBooster then?

Old 09-04-2008, 07:01 PM
billzcat1
3rd Gear
And to the OP - try out the "One Ball" mod before you go and get yourself a full exhaust. The mod consists of removing the resonator on the right side of the car and replacing it with a mandrel bend. Weight reduction ~20 lbs plus you get a bit louder/deeper exhaust note and slightly reduced restriction. Many believe it provides about the same performance benefit as a full exhaust. On the plus side, it only costs $50-80 to pay a muffler shop to weld the elbow in for you.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by billzcat1
And to the OP - try out the "One Ball" mod before you go and get yourself a full exhaust. The mod consists of removing the resonator on the right side of the car and replacing it with a mandrel bend. Weight reduction ~20 lbs plus you get a bit louder/deeper exhaust note and slightly reduced restriction. Many believe it provides about the same performance benefit as a full exhaust. On the plus side, it only costs $50-80 to pay a muffler shop to weld the elbow in for you.
Really? So the "one ball" is mainly to drop some weight? After the muffler shop welds the elbow can I easily install it or do they do it?

The guy at the tuning place today told me to hold off on an CAI because they can become annoying. I listened to them on youtube and love it! If the Alta is the loudest which is the least loud but still with some nice noise??

im looking now

Thanks for the serious answers.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
What are the goals with this car? Budget?

Old 09-05-2008, 04:10 AM
billzcat1
3rd Gear
One ball is usually a one-stop process - they will remove the muffler and weld in the elbow, often without even removing the exhaust from the car.

You save weight, add noise, and add maybe a little flow. Win Win Win. My car is actually quieter on the freeway under cruise with the one-ball.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:06 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Exhaust:
1. Do the one ball now, as is relatively cheap and is effective. (muffler shop)
This may add a few hp, and a better sound, oh yeah, and the 20lb redux. Search this forum for diagrams, etc. to take to the muffler shop.
2. Add the RMW shorty header later, or whenever you can spend ~$850, and this will be a very decent system (DIY), Adds ~8-10hp and a significant sound improvement. There are many other headers out there, this one is my preference, and not the cheapest, there are some really cheap/junk options out there.

Intake:
1. JCW is OEM, looks and sound good, not cheap though. I think I have seen it on sales for maybe $245, this will add ~5hp (DIY)
2. Alta, Madness, etc., etc. there are many aftermarket intakes out there to choose from, all a matter of personal preference with a wide range of prices. All of these aftermarket options will have a more agressive appearance than the JCW OEM model, but arguably will not function any better.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:17 AM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E-mail or talk to RMW as he probably seen it all from the hundreds of cars with different mod set-up during dyno tune sessions. If I recall, he listed mods that works at one time in the forum. Do your homework and save your $ for the best parts within your budget.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:03 AM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
What are the goals with this car? Budget?
Well I am not a racer and I dont plan on ever doing anything like that. My goal is to have a super fun car to drive. This is my everyday car and so far i still actually look foward to my morning drive to work, I enjoy slipping through traffic and having the power to do so with ease. The goal is to have a new hobby that I can do/work on all the time. Golf, has become harder to do because of a herniated disk and Scuba diving is tough to do in san antonio:P

So I guess my MAIN goal is a car that sounds awesome, goes FAST/QUICK.

Secondary goal is to learn how to work on an engine myself.

As for the budget I am willing to spend maybe 2 or 3k spread out over a little while. At least I hope I can achieve my goal on this budget, if I have to spend more Im sure I will because I think Im hooked now.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 AM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_racer
Exhaust:
1. Do the one ball now, as is relatively cheap and is effective. (muffler shop)
This may add a few hp, and a better sound, oh yeah, and the 20lb redux. Search this forum for diagrams, etc. to take to the muffler shop.
2. Add the RMW shorty header later, or whenever you can spend ~$850, and this will be a very decent system (DIY), Adds ~8-10hp and a significant sound improvement. There are many other headers out there, this one is my preference, and not the cheapest, there are some really cheap/junk options out there.

Intake:
1. JCW is OEM, looks and sound good, not cheap though. I think I have seen it on sales for maybe $245, this will add ~5hp (DIY)
2. Alta, Madness, etc., etc. there are many aftermarket intakes out there to choose from, all a matter of personal preference with a wide range of prices. All of these aftermarket options will have a more agressive appearance than the JCW OEM model, but arguably will not function any better.
Thanks mini you like everyone here has been very helpful!

Like I said I am so new to all this, so I take a diagram of what want done to the muffler and they do it? They wont laugh at me? lol. Do I have to find a specialized muffler shop? Why is the sky blue

Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mdbsat
Thanks mini you like everyone here has been very helpful!

Like I said I am so new to all this, so I take a diagram of what want done to the muffler and they do it?
Yes, find those simple diagrams and just take it to your favorite muffler shop. This is an easy job, the system sholud stay on the car for this, and I think $50 is a typical cost. I have seen in some threads as low as $25, but that is likely rare.
They wont laugh at me? lol.
If they laugh at you, take your business to another shop.
Do I have to find a specialized muffler shop?
Any decent muffler shop can do this.....very easy (30 min job).
Why is the sky blue
Uhh, something about the way sunlight hits the atmosphere and scatters the light wavelengths, blah blah blah...... go to wikipedia or something Or maybe to contrast better with your car color.
good luck.........

Old 09-05-2008, 09:35 AM
//MZero
4th Gear
Honestly BEFORE you do anything to the exhaust I would listen to stuff thats out there, and not just clips online but actually go to some MINI meets in your area and listen to what other people have. Listen to the clips online as well...but in person is obviously better. I didn't like the sound of the One-Ball online, and I REALLY didn't like it in person. It sounds very tinny and raspy...almost Honda like. Obviously there are a lot of people on here that like that, I for one do not.

I've had lots of exhausts on several different cars and over the years they have gone from loud and annoying to progressively quieter and more pleasant, yet still aggressive. As of now, the only exhaust that really sounds great to me on clips online is the Borla Street. I want to hear things in person though before I go drop 800-900 dollars on something and it turns out I don't like it. Its not like a mattress with a 30day money back gaurantee.

If money is burning a hole in your pocket right now, then as myself, I want the cam next. The only thing I have more then you is a JCW intake which I wouldn't worry about yet. My reason for cam over the header is that I don't want to change the exhaust note quite yet. Also, after the cam is done, the header will be even more of a restriction and changing it will add that much more power. But if you really want to HEAR the s/c whine then go ahead and get an intake...sure its not the best hp/$ but it does sound cool and isn't very expensive compared to the other stuff.

Another thing to keep in mind, once you do get pulley/intake/header/cam and you want a tune you'll be needing 380cc injectors (JCW) as well as colder spark plugs at that point.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Thanks Mzero. I called a shop and they said could do the "one ball" thing for 60-90$ depending on time/labor etc. I was ALL set to go in in the morning and have it done but reading your post made me think.....maybe I SHOULD listen to it in person since it is a pretty permanant thing I am asking them to do right?

Anyway, this is all such a joy. I have never had as much fun researching, reading diff peoples opinions, looking at vids and just learning about a car!! I think I found a new hobby. I was only planning on keeping this mini until next year when I was going to sell it.(bought this mini at 7k less than it blue booked, thanks step mom!) I now am going to keep it for sure!!! The only problem I am now having is my GF looking for ANY excuse to drive it without me:P I caught her looking online at minis for sale in SA

Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 AM
//MZero
4th Gear
Its not entirely permanent, I mean they are cutting it out and welding something new. If they leave space off the ends they cut then you could always cut out the bit that gets welded in and have the old muffler re-welded in.

But at that point you've spent double to be back where you started...and wheres the logic in that just listen to one to make sure YOU like it.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Definitely search the forum for 'one ball', and you will see plenty of info, including many opinions of people who have done it.

I cannot comment on how good or bad it sounds, as I have not heard it in person. Zero is right, hearing it in person is much better than a sound clip online.

The reason this exhaust option is mentioned in this thread is that it is the most economical exhaust system upgrade available, and popular. As with all other mods, it is not for everyone.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:06 AM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
hey, i have an alta CAI and love it. just thought id drop in and give my 2 cents. you dont really feel much difference in power, but when you step on it it does sound great. You also hear the actuator ( i believe thats what it is) on the throttle body, making a psst, kind of shissle when you step on the gas sounding almost like a nos purge mixesd with a blow off valve which i love. The only problem is of your cruising at certain speeds this psst gets stuck on sssss and could be annoying, but its fairly un- obtrusive. pluss al you have to is slow down or speed up 2 mph and it goes away, or shift a gear. just my 2 cents for that product. Also a heads up, if you ever decide to do something like an oil catch can, like i did, make sure when you install it that none of the hoses are pinched off, or could be pinched off by the hood or weight of excess hose or you might blow a valve cover gasket like i did.