Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain RMW 20L stroker or just head/cam/manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008 | 01:02 PM
THE STIG
|
1st Gear
RMW 20L stroker or just head/cam/manifold?

Is it worth paying the extra for the 20L stroker engine or do i just go for the head/cam/manifold/tune, is the stroker that much better ? any one drive both cars the car will be used for the odd track day and scare the odd motorcycle... thanks for any help...

Old 10-01-2008 | 01:18 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
There is much more to this decision than just $ v.s. hp/tq/etc...

You have to ask your self why you need the 2L...
how you want the power to come on...
reving the engine...
etc, etc, etc...

The best person to give you this advise is Jan and the few who have this on their cars...and some that have driven the two.

I cannot offer anything else. Just playing a bit of the devil's advocate

Old 10-01-2008 | 01:54 PM
THE STIG
|
1st Gear
thanks chris... talking about devils i feel like i have two devils one on each shoulder... the one on the right keeps saying get the fecken stroker Dip shyeet even if he is rude i think i like that one the best...

Last edited by THE STIG; 10-01-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2008 | 06:19 PM
bean
5th Gear
right shou1der wins a11 arguments!

Old 10-01-2008 | 06:22 PM
ClintTheMiniOwner
4th Gear
Hey Stig, I like your Top Gear lap times
Keep us posted if you're really gunna get a stroker!

Old 10-02-2008 | 01:09 PM
THE STIG
|
1st Gear
ok..

Old 10-02-2008 | 01:45 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Can't wait for Jan to chime in here. Here's my 2 cents. If you can afford the 2.0 L stroker, then doing the head/cam/manifold/pully/tune isn't a stretch for you. So I'd do that for what you're using the car for--you'll be plenty happy, and worse case scenario, you could still do the stroker. In either case, I'd strongly consider a LSD if you don't already have it on your car, and if you're adding that much power, make sure you're happy with your brakes...

From what I've read, and having seen videos but admittedly never having driven one, the stroker isn't for the faint of heart. If you're a genuine track rat who has to be in a MINI (there are better track cars for far less than the MINI, but then again, they're not a MINI, so you're stuck modding the heck out of it to catch up--its not cheap compared to other cars, but on the other hand there's nothing more satisfying than catching a Carrera in a MINI, and if that's your mindset, consider the stroker. Just recognize its kind of an irrational mindset, but its fairly prevalent, I suffer from it myself), I'd say consider it. For spirited driving and an occasional track day, I'd go with modding the engine with Jan's stuff and a tune. IMHO, the stroker is going to be overkill--and depending on how you drive, you might be happier with the less aggressive (that's still a pretty aggressive setup though). Again, take what I say with a grain of salt, I haven't driven Jan's car, only have heard about it and seen videos of it; hopefully someday a stroker will be around my parts to drive.

That being said, if/when I start having any issues with the engine, I'll seriously consider the stroker. But putting that beast in a MINI changes the car from a momentum car into a screamer--its a total transformation of what the MINI is/does.

Just talk to Jan, he'll steer you in the right direction for what your wants/needs are.

Last edited by cct1; 10-02-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2008 | 02:13 PM
checkmate2006
Banned
Originally Posted by cct1
Can't wait for Jan to chime in here. Here's my 2 cents. If you can afford the 2.0 L stroker, then doing the head/cam/manifold/pully/tune isn't a stretch for you. So I'd do that for what you're using the car for--you'll be plenty happy, and worse case scenario, you could still do the stroker. In either case, I'd strongly consider a LSD if you don't already have it on your car, and if you're adding that much power, make sure you're happy with your brakes...

From what I've read, and having seen videos but admittedly never having driven one, the stroker isn't for the faint of heart. If you're a genuine track rat who has to be in a MINI (there are better track cars for far less than the MINI, but then again, they're not a MINI, so you're stuck modding the heck out of it to catch up--its not cheap compared to other cars, but on the other hand there's nothing more satisfying than catching a Carrera in a MINI, and if that's your mindset, consider the stroker. Just recognize its kind of an irrational mindset, but its fairly prevalent, I suffer from it myself), I'd say consider it. For spirited driving and an occasional track day, I'd go with modding the engine with Jan's stuff and a tune. IMHO, the stroker is going to be overkill--and depending on how you drive, you might be happier with the less aggressive (that's still a pretty aggressive setup though). Again, take what I say with a grain of salt, I haven't driven Jan's car, only have heard about it and seen videos of it; hopefully someday a stroker will be around my parts to drive.

That being said, if/when I start having any issues with the engine, I'll seriously consider the stroker. But putting that beast in a MINI changes the car from a momentum car into a screamer--its a total transformation of what the MINI is/does.

Just talk to Jan, he'll steer you in the right direction for what your wants/needs are.

You have in the nail on the head PERFECTLY

Old 10-02-2008 | 02:18 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
The stroker won't be a huge whp increase over the cam, header, head, etc. on the stock block, but it does make a lot more torque. I know Jan put down over 230 ft/lbs so the stroker will have a lot more power

Old 10-03-2008 | 10:26 AM
THE STIG
|
1st Gear
thanks guys, thinking long term with my GP mods lets see how the tvs turns out or maybe rotrax see how the £ goes its just great that jan gives us all the chance of real power.. just thinking better get a HD clutch aswell.. need to sell my GP motor its only got 18,000 on the clock.. am i crazy!! yes!..

Old 10-03-2008 | 12:03 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
What are the plans for the car? I want a 2.0l stroker matched to a turbo soooo bad....

Old 10-03-2008 | 01:30 PM
txwerks
Banned
Personally, I am saving my $ for a 2.0L stroker, individual throttle bodies and a stand-alone ECU for all naturally aspirated goodness... Then again, I am insane.

Old 10-03-2008 | 04:44 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
I'd drive my *** to Texas to see that!

Old 10-03-2008 | 06:45 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Or you could get one of these . TQ and HP working together. The 2.0L will always be better off the line but the Rotex has a power band that's huge. The engine runs cooler then stock! The intake temps are crazy cool with just a top mount! And I get 30+ miles to the gallon on the highway with 550's

Longboard

Old 10-03-2008 | 08:48 PM
coopselt
3rd Gear
Comon. Put that car back on the dyno to get it over 300hp...

Originally Posted by Longboard Mini

Longboard

Old 10-05-2008 | 08:34 AM
THE STIG
|
1st Gear
30+too the gallon on 550s.. will the stroker be the almost the same? longbord you have driven both 16L AND 20L what do you think?..

Old 10-24-2008 | 03:18 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Originally Posted by txwerks
Personally, I am saving my $ for a 2.0L stroker, individual throttle bodies and a stand-alone ECU for all naturally aspirated goodness... Then again, I am insane.
Nope, you're not insane, and if you are then I am too because I would do that too. But if I have to be realistic, I might be happy with a 1.8L stroker with proper cam, header and intake manifold for the NA engine