Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ECU PnP Alta

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008 | 01:06 PM
parisinfire
|
2nd Gear
ECU PnP Alta

Hey anyone else have any problems with their pnp? Mine worked fine for awhile now when I have it on high boost and I got above 60mph th ecar goes into limp mode for some reason and I have no power my BOV stops working. Then after couple mins or if I rev the engine it kicks back to normal?? Any ideas? Also with it on my car wouldnt start the other day as soon as I took it off it started right up. I also have to put a spacer on my o2 sensor so my check engine light will go off.

Old 11-09-2008 | 02:53 PM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
Make sure you have the ecu switched to the right map. I know when I got mine and wasn't running all the mods yet for that tune the car would lose boost in 3rd gear. But once I switched to the first map car ran great. Now that I have all my mods for that second tune car runs great.

Old 11-09-2008 | 03:42 PM
spam052
2nd Gear
yeah i got the same prob with mine. it ran great at first but after a while it started giving me cels and problems starting the car. i had it on the right map all of the time. so i don't know whats wrong with it since i don't have a code reader. i got so bad i just took it out.

Old 11-09-2008 | 03:54 PM
parisinfire
|
2nd Gear
I dont know the map I have is for exactly what I am running I dont know what the slower map is it said stock mode or something. But either way I have had it happen on both maps so I just took it off no idea.

Old 11-09-2008 | 03:57 PM
parisinfire
|
2nd Gear
I havent had any CELS for it tho only for the alta exhaust which I can fix.

Old 11-09-2008 | 05:02 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Went thru a similar series of issues:

The forge vent to atmosphere adapter is "ok" to use at stock tune, but a serious no no under higher boost, you screw the MAF readings all up dumping.

Alta Hot Air Intake is also iffy at stock, you lose out somewhat on lower end torque, however at higher boost there is two issues; one the turbulence from not choking off the airflow enough wrecks havoc with MAF readings, secondly did I mention all these aftermarket intakes are "hot" not "cold" it took awhile to get enough data from engine to see this one, cause most of the time you are cruising fast enough to appear to have engine compartment temps under control. Unfortunately if the temp gets alittle on the high side you will miss it, but the ECU freaks out and dumps boost. I was working on a real cold air intake to fix the issue, getting access to the tuning MAP would be nice since I logged the exit temp from my FMIC and never saw any cause for concern, or logic to dump boost and pull timing, let alone go limp mode.

Anyway in a nutshell, get rid of the forge bov spacer, go back to the stock intake, or the JCW intake box. Put the PNP back on and enjoy the power.

Old 11-09-2008 | 05:07 PM
parisinfire
|
2nd Gear
Will try that out tomarrow thanks for all the info!

Old 11-09-2008 | 05:32 PM
fernflex
3rd Gear
I had those same problems..

1. Take out the Forge blow off valve.

2. Try to lower your underhood temperature, your intake is sucking hot air inside the underhood.

I have done some simples modes to control the temp and lower it so it doesnt affect my performance.

My intake, turbo inlet and hot side boost tube is wrap with thermotec, maybe tomorrow I will wrap the hard stock intercooler cold side tube that goes to the throttle.
The inside of the turbo/downpipe heat shield is painted with hi heat coating paint that it holds up to 2000 degrees.

I eliminated the grill in the hood scoop and inside the scoop I bent the lip so it enters more cold air. Also if you look at th left side of the engine fan the are like 5 o 6 plastic windows that opens when the car is running but when you stop they close, I took them out so that stays open and the air flow to the engine.

This are small step but I have seen the result in reducing the limp mode and when I touch my hood.

Last edited by fernflex; 11-09-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2008 | 10:38 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Yeah that exact same thing has happened to me a ton...talked to Unichip and they said its the mapping(from Alta), which makes sense, not a harness issue.

Old 11-10-2008 | 02:00 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
I have had the Unichip from Alta for about 5 months now. When I first got it it was the generation 3 harness from unichip. I would be fine for a few thousand miles then it would start to give me cell codes. I would always write down the code before I cleared it. Finally a few months into it I had so many codes written down and it was happeneing faster and faster that i talket to both Alta and Unichip. I sent my whole settup (besides the car) into unichip and a month later they decided it was a connection on the Gen 3 harness. Now i have a new gen 4 harness, i could tell the difference right off. the new harness was super tight. I had to put all of my 210 lb weight on it top snap it into place. Since then i have had it on for 2 months and thousands of miles with no problems at all. And I always use the Alta mapping. If you are still having issues and you dont have a gen 4 harness then that should be your first stop. I have gone through this and it was NOT the ALTA map. it was the harness

Old 11-10-2008 | 02:20 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chakraj
I have gone through this and it was NOT the ALTA map. it was the harness
Ok, so how sure are you Alta didn't remap it? They wanted me to send mine back to remap. When I asked them what they planned, they were going to retard the timing, and adjust the boost. So that would also fix the problem, at the cost of performance...

What CEL's were you throwing, did you do any corrective action to address the CEL's or just write them down? Just asking, because my gen 3 harness is fine, I have logged over 1500 troube free miles since fixxing the "hot" air problem.

Old 11-10-2008 | 02:49 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
here is a list of my cell codes, most of them atleast.
5-19-08
p115c
p0120
p0121

5-20-08
p0120
p0121
p0221
p1497

5-24-08
p3202

6-14-08
p3202
6-15-08
p3202
p3202pp

6-17-08
p115c
p0120
p0121

I know i missed a few there. at first I could just clear them. but after a few weeks I would have to remove the pnp and then put it back on. I know they didnt change the map because alta didnt get it. I sent it straight to unichip and I asked unichip if they reflashed it and they swore they never did anything to it. I was driving 4k a month and it would take a few k before the problems would come back. infact unichip had to drive with it on one of there cars for a month before thety could duplicat the problem

Old 11-10-2008 | 03:24 PM
parisinfire
|
2nd Gear
Yah I have to try fixing the heat problem I took out the intake blocker and have th em7 vortex scoop. I havent had any engine codes thrown besides the ones for my alta DP I need to get a spacer but nothing for anything else just the limp mode while I am driving. The Harness also fits in pretty snug I dont know what gen I have tho.

Old 11-10-2008 | 03:37 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
With the exception of the p3202 series CEL's you were throwing air flow and metering CEL's, the 3202 are misfires or ignition system shorts, I would agree the 32 series indicate a short in the harness. The balance are what I saw. I never had any electrical system CEL's. So perhaps the harness was the bulk of your issues.

I am a little confused as to why Alta or Unichip couldn't diagnose the issue with the CEL's alone. confused and concerned.

Old 11-16-2008 | 01:18 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JAceMin
Went thru a similar series of issues:

The forge vent to atmosphere adapter is "ok" to use at stock tune, but a serious no no under higher boost, you screw the MAF readings all up dumping.

Alta Hot Air Intake is also iffy at stock, you lose out somewhat on lower end torque, however at higher boost there is two issues; one the turbulence from not choking off the airflow enough wrecks havoc with MAF readings, secondly did I mention all these aftermarket intakes are "hot" not "cold" it took awhile to get enough data from engine to see this one, cause most of the time you are cruising fast enough to appear to have engine compartment temps under control. Unfortunately if the temp gets alittle on the high side you will miss it, but the ECU freaks out and dumps boost. I was working on a real cold air intake to fix the issue, getting access to the tuning MAP would be nice since I logged the exit temp from my FMIC and never saw any cause for concern, or logic to dump boost and pull timing, let alone go limp mode.

Anyway in a nutshell, get rid of the forge bov spacer, go back to the stock intake, or the JCW intake box. Put the PNP back on and enjoy the power.
Couple things, while in theory what you say might be true the dyno seems to disagree:

http://altaminiperformance.com/products/show/358

(with scoop closed, hood shut obviously)

(Scoop opened, hood still shut)

Old 11-16-2008 | 01:20 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by scott48
Yeah that exact same thing has happened to me a ton...talked to Unichip and they said its the mapping(from Alta), which makes sense, not a harness issue.
NOT the mapping at all! The SAME mapping on hardwired cars, has ZERO issues. The harness faults are voltage related. So if the map asks for more, or pulls more voltage, and the harness is " no good" then the map won't function properly.

Old 11-16-2008 | 01:23 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JAceMin
Ok, so how sure are you Alta didn't remap it? They wanted me to send mine back to remap. When I asked them what they planned, they were going to retard the timing, and adjust the boost. So that would also fix the problem, at the cost of performance...

What CEL's were you throwing, did you do any corrective action to address the CEL's or just write them down? Just asking, because my gen 3 harness is fine, I have logged over 1500 troube free miles since fixxing the "hot" air problem.
WE never changed his mapping. I had a conversation with him in recent weeks to confirm what was going on.

Old 11-16-2008 | 01:33 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Cliff notes summary:

The harnesses made for UniChip (not ALTA) have had issues. (SOME not ALL!)

Good harnesses, likely to remain good.

Bad harness, NOT mapping = CEL's. In rare cases a hardwired car with good ALTA mapping, were occasionally tweaked for client concerns or changes. (Extreme altitude, low grade fuel, etc. etc.)

ALTA shipped kits with both UniChip and ALTA mapping. So UniChip unable to then blame ALTA mapping when both created CEL's.

UniChip has failed to secure unilaterally good harnesses and thus we no longer offer the product. If and when new (good) harnesses are available we may consider selling the product again.

Recent harnesses sent to ALTA for testing, failed (like literally broke in half) during installation or removal.

UniChip will continue to work directly with clients that have purchased their products and are experiencing a problem.

Stephen.Douglas@perrinperformance.com (part of our company) will help work with ALTA clients affected with problems negotiate with UniChip on getting proper harnesses, etc.

Our apologies to any client faced with problems with their UniChip purchased through ALTA.

Hope that helps with a good summary!

Old 11-16-2008 | 05:12 PM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Yawn!

Old 11-17-2008 | 08:23 AM
parisinfire
|
2nd Gear
Yah one of my plugs split in two when i was dissconnecting it aythign can be done about that? haha It still snaps back togther b uim sure tis not good cuz now my power lose happens at random times instead of before i had to be above 70mph

Old 11-17-2008 | 08:35 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by parisinfire
Yah one of my plugs split in two when i was dissconnecting it aythign can be done about that? haha It still snaps back togther b uim sure tis not good cuz now my power lose happens at random times instead of before i had to be above 70mph
stephen.douglas@perrinperformance.com

e-mail him all of your information, e-mail daytime # etc. He will help you ASAP!

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:41 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I went through the harness problems myself, but now that I have a good harness and no more CELs I'm very happy. I'm glad I got one before they were pulled off market.

Old 11-23-2008 | 07:26 AM
ACooperS
3rd Gear
Same.

Old 01-14-2009 | 06:57 PM
bggale
1st Gear
Why Not Mount Unichip Q Under Hood?

I have a Unichip Q for my 2006 MCS Convert, not installed yet, and I recently saw a Unichip for another car (can't remember which) where the module mounts under the hood, i.e. no feeding the harness through the firewall.
Has anyone tried putting the module under the hood of a mini, or is it not too hard to feed the harnesses through the firewall?

Old 01-14-2009 | 07:03 PM
parisinfire
|
2nd Gear
It was easy to install through the firewall just follow the directions. Never heard of installing ti all under the hood? just watch out my PNP is a POS! =) way to many problems with it

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ECU PnP Alta