Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Is anyone running the Stratmosphere cat-back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 PM
poolemac
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is anyone running the Stratmosphere cat-back?

I'm really intrigued by this exhaust as it sounds nothing short of beautiful and the price is right. My question is, is anyone on the forum running it? Exhaust gurus--tell me what the deal is with this vs. other exhausts--why don't I see the traditional "boxy" muffler just before the tips?

For reference:

http://www.stratmosphere.com/stratmosphere_exhausts.htm

Old 11-24-2008, 09:44 AM
sunman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The exhaust should be arriving today and installed - hopefully . I'll report back.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:42 PM
poolemac
3rd Gear
well?

Old 11-26-2008, 01:07 AM
nammerz
4th Gear
yeah im actually interested in this exaust. im now stuck in deciding either the invidia or the stratmo.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:50 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks like it has no muffler, just a resonator

Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
NAM Alliance Magazine has just acquired one for testing.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:34 AM
sunman
3rd Gear
Stratmosphere Exhaust - My First Impressions

I have included some photos of the install...

Overall the system was installed without too much complication, but I'm a little concern about how low the "resonator" portion hangs in the rear (possible scraping over speed bumps - CA ones are pretty big). I contacted Stratomosphere regarding my concern and they sent me their "install guide" to see if some of my concerns could be addressed with the instructions. I'm heading back to the shop today to see if we can make things fit a little better and will let you know how that goes.

Besides the fitment issues, the exhaust has a real nice throaty sound under acceleration , just like what Stratmosphere has posted on their website, but definitely not loud like the custom magnaflow exhaust I had before. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the Magnaflow and the ability to set off car alarms in the parking structures, but under WOT up in the 3k rpm and above range, it's just way too loud for me. I'm sure this can easily be fixed by installing a resonator, but I really like the looks and finish of this system. The price isn't all that bad either. Droning is absent during cruising and is almost like stock. IMHO, I think the 3" piping is a bit much for the R56. The reason I state this is because with this exhaust, acceleration is a lot more responsive, so maybe it's true what everyone has been debating all along, 2.5" is probably ideal, and this system bridges the gap of the 2.5"-3.0" inch debate when it comes to performance - again just my opinion. This could be confirmed during in a dyno, which hopefully Stratmosphere will be sharing soon ...

So far, based on only a day's worth of driving, I'm very pleased with the exhaust.

Attached Thumbnails Is anyone running the Stratmosphere cat-back?-photo7.jpg   Is anyone running the Stratmosphere cat-back?-photo10.jpg   Is anyone running the Stratmosphere cat-back?-photo2.jpg  
Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 AM
sunman
3rd Gear
Here are a few other photos... Like I said earlier, hopefully I can reduce the amount the tips are showing in the rear. Supposedly, the tips should sit flush with the rear valance, if not, then some other modifications will be made

Attached Thumbnails Is anyone running the Stratmosphere cat-back?-photo4.jpg   Is anyone running the Stratmosphere cat-back?-photo8.jpg   Is anyone running the Stratmosphere cat-back?-photo9.jpg  
Old 11-26-2008, 09:02 AM
nammerz
4th Gear
my goodness those tips really stick out!
maybe they gave you a part that is a little longer or something cant tell which part that would be though.

and with the exaust sticking low; i can see that as well. i hope stratmo will do something for you if it ends up being where you installed all the pieces correctly

-nam

Old 11-26-2008, 10:25 AM
sunman
3rd Gear
John over at Stratmosphere sent over some detailed pictures on how the exhaust should fit underneath, which is going to really help. I think this should fix the problem. I'm headed over to the shop now and will report back later today. Wish me luck!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:12 AM
poolemac
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Creeve
looks like it has no muffler, just a resonator
Actually the part that looks like a resonator is actually the muffler. There is no resonator in the system. From John, the designer of the exhaust:

"From the pictures I saw, it looks like there is no muffler just before the tips. Why did you opt for this design when it seems like the other R56 options all have the chambered muffler just before the tips?"

- That is correct. The muffler is not located just before the tips. It is in fact located within the narrow rear exhaust tunnel of the car. I too have seen that most other manufacturers retain the chambered muffler location just the same as the stock location. I personally was responsible for the development of this system. What I found, after creating over ten prototype systems, was that the placement of the muffler alone will drastically affect the tone for the Mini. Increasing the tubing diameter and maintaining the stock muffler location resulted in drone, as well as sounding like a vacuum cleaner. I tried multiple variations on the mufflers themselves, to no avail. What I did find, was a slim profile muffler, done further forward than the stock position, resulted in a wonderful tone and knocked the drone out of the way. Rather than 'just doing what everyone else was doing', we went with what worked. In summary? The muffler has been moved to a more optimum location.

"The second cat is removed, correct? So the larger section of the piping is a resonator?"

- The secondary catalytic converter is removed, that is correct. It opens everything up for better flow. The larger section of tubing you see is the muffler itself.

In regard to it's inherent volume level, and drone, and related concerns:
-It's definitely louder than stock. I think it sounds absolutely great! Of course, I would. But here is the honest thought process: The MkI Mini,with the supercharger, had a very sporty, zippy, fun sound to it. It had some 'soul' if you will. My first drive in that car was all smiles through every gear- when I hit 6th, I was like "aww..." and slowed down, just to shift all over again because the sound was fun. The MkII as stock, did not have that same feel to me. The car was without a doubt much faster, but just lacked 'character' in a sense. So our goal was to dig out the 'soul' buried within that car.
See, anything that moves with a pattern creates a noise. Engines at certain rpm's will create a tone regardless of the exhaust note sound. It is the actual frequency at which the cylinders fire. That is why people can identify an engine's number of cylinders just by listening- they have unique tones. Now, this is also why there is drone: 'drone' is actually just a frequency range that is irritable to the human ear because it creates the feeling of 'pressure'. Every engine exhibits it. In fact, the sound range is from about 94-130hz. That means that 4 cylinders drone from about 2800-3800rpm. The Mini, however, avoids that range pretty well. That's around the area where the turbo really begins to pull, so that very much helps. The physical location of the muffler on our system combats that drone further. Is there drone? Only in a minimal range that is hard to recreate in any driving scenario. The car is actually pretty quiet cruising at highway speeds.
The second-to-last prototype I made, I think was actually the most fun sounding... But that... was definitely LOUD. Drone was not an issue. So I reduced the volume output of the car to what you hear now. You can hear on our little youtube clip that the car has a throaty idle, some burble, and a good 'brap' as it gets going. Believe me, it sounds even better as you pull higher through the revs. It's just tough to do a good 3rd gear pull in our parking lot, haha.
It passes "the wife test". One of the owners here had his wife take the car for a week of daily driving. No complaints! That's a very good sign to us, because we love the sound. Drive it casually, regularly, and the sound is there, but absolutely not intrusive at all. Get on it, and you're reminded that you're driving a sports car. You cannot help but smile when you hit the right pedal hard!

The end result? It's got soul now. Every time I drive that car, I just want to drive it more. That is a great feeling.

Really though, I love the car, and just couldn't believe the boring, drone-y, obnoxious exhausts that were available. I mean, watch our youtube clip, then browse the other mini exhausts.. then listen to ours again. I was determined to get a mean sound when you want it, and still be clean and polite otherwise. I feel that mission is accomplished.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:35 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Ok, I just watched the video on thier site, it sounds amazing! Can we get some sound clips from inside the car, I know they said it doesn't drone but I want to hear it for myself.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 PM
todoubled
3rd Gear
it alta or this

Old 11-26-2008, 07:42 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
wow, it does look pretty low! hope you dont scrape anything before you fix it!!

I don't like how the tips look, and the rear view kind of made my eyes hurt (looks like 3 joining circles)

BUT!!!! I do like the sound, and im glad your happy performance gain is a plus too!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM
sunman
3rd Gear
Okay... one step at a time. I now have the tips flush with the valance, but now the front section is hitting that dang bracket that the exhaust has to clear underneath. According to John at Stratmosphere, it should be a simple fix. The other issues of the muffler actually hanging too low has also been resolved - I think. I went over some speed bumps head on that are considered fairly large and it did not scrape on the front or rear Other than that, I'm very happy with the exhaust. I'll be even happier once I can get that rubbing issue resolved Hopefully I can make it back to the shop next Monday. Have a great Turkey Day everyone!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:30 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
so was this a DYI instal? Bolt on? Do you think stratmosphere has it all worked out yet?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice installWe need sound bites!!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 PM
sunman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ortholance
so was this a DYI instal? Bolt on? Do you think stratmosphere has it all worked out yet?
If you have a rack you can use than yes I would say it's a DIY because it comes in a total of four sections - front, center, rear (muffler), and tips. This is as good as it gets. Stratmosphere will now include some detailed pictures of how each piece will fit and how to manipulate the various pieces to get the best fit. Too bad I didn't have all of this information the first time around, but others will now be able to benefit from this experience. Besides, John Frame, developer, is more than willing to assist if need be

Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Nice installWe need sound bites!!
I'll see what I can do. I'm still old school and have not yet purchased a digital camcorder. The exhaust really does sound just like the one in the video

Old 11-27-2008, 08:50 AM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
was it all bolt on or did you have to cut your pre-existing? and it seems pretty loud on you tube. Is it loud in the cabin? do you think your neighbors will complain?

Old 11-27-2008, 05:44 PM
MiniPOLACK
3rd Gear
ordering it tonight, they also have 20% holiday discount going on

Old 11-28-2008, 02:52 PM
sunman
3rd Gear
was it all bolt on or did you have to cut your pre-existing? and it seems pretty loud on you tube. Is it loud in the cabin? do you think your neighbors will complain?
This replaces the entire stock system (including resonator & second cat). It is not loud at all in the cabin at cruising speeds, just when you stomp on it but even then the noise in the cabin is not loud at all. Then again you have to understand that I originally had the custom magnaflow exhaust and IMO everything is quiet in comparison Seriously, it is very nice on the interior, probably the same as stock

Originally Posted by MiniPOLACK
ordering it tonight, they also have 20% holiday discount going on
You'll be very happy with it... Good call. BTW, I believe the "introductory price" is with the 20% holiday discount, or at least that's what they told me

Old 11-28-2008, 03:10 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
sorry to keep bugin' you but I definitly want to hear something in the cabin...at least more than the quiteness of stock. and when you say replaces, did it bolt right on? I'm not sure how the connections even are under there, being a novice to all this mod stuff, but i would rather bolt than cut and weld! thanks

Old 11-28-2008, 04:37 PM
SlowB00st
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sunman

You'll be very happy with it... Good call. BTW, I believe the "introductory price" is with the 20% holiday discount, or at least that's what they told me
acutally it doesn't include the discount from a post they made

It's our annual holiday sale and it's the biggest and best. 20% STOREWIDE. And this week we are giving away a Wii Console and WiiFit bundle. An example of the savings.

New Stratmosphere Mk2 Catback Exhaust. Intro priced $649 now $519.20!

BTW did anyone ordered form the site? it doesn't let me add to cart.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:55 PM
sunman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SlowB00st
acutally it doesn't include the discount from a post they made

Oh man... that really sucks ... I'll give them a call to see if they'll give me a credit of some sorts

BTW did anyone ordered form the site? it doesn't let me add to cart.
Yeah, that actually happened to me too, so I ended up calling them to place the order.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:56 PM
sunman
3rd Gear
sorry to keep bugin' you but I definitly want to hear something in the cabin...at least more than the quiteness of stock. and when you say replaces, did it bolt right on? I'm not sure how the connections even are under there, being a novice to all this mod stuff, but i would rather bolt than cut and weld! thanks
Yes it bolts right on to the existing clamp from the downpipe to the exhaust system.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Is anyone running the Stratmosphere cat-back?