Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Rattling noise on Alta boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling noise on Alta boost gauge

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone else has rattling noise from the little pin on the alta boost guage? I pushed the boost guage all the way down to where it hits the top of the steering column place, and it was better than if it hangs without touching anything. Advice anyone?

Old 02-03-2009, 12:34 PM
D-Unit
4th Gear
If you mean the needle that indicates how much boost you are making, I have the same thing. I, however, have an X-Line gauge. It is a mechanical gauge. It is probably the same issue though. So, I need some help too.

To help people help you/us, do you know how the gauge is installed? Did you use that adapter that they sell. Mine is installed in an unorthodox way, due in part to one of my mistakes, which probably contributes to my issue. Maybe some more info, if you have any, would help.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:35 PM
investigator
4th Gear
If it's a gauge made by Prosport the pin rattles. I've got a boost gauge and water temp gauge and both rattle. I'm trying to devise a way to stop it short of putting a piece of tape on the pins. But the pins are useful as they tell you what the max reading has been on the gauge.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:44 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by investigator
If it's a gauge made by Prosport the pin rattles. I've got a boost gauge and water temp gauge and both rattle. I'm trying to devise a way to stop it short of putting a piece of tape on the pins. But the pins are useful as they tell you what the max reading has been on the gauge.

Yes actually i do have the prosport one too. I was thinking of trying something similar to your idea, but instead of tape, i was thinking maybe sound dampening material?

Also inversigator, does the water/temp guage help, or is it worth buying?

Old 02-03-2009, 01:52 PM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by stinkytofu
Yes actually i do have the prosport one too. I was thinking of trying something similar to your idea, but instead of tape, i was thinking maybe sound dampening material?

Also inversigator, does the water/temp guage help, or is it worth buying?
I think it was criminal of BMW to not install a water temp gauge in a Mini. What were they thinking? I have one in mine along with a boost gauge. I certainly believe the water temp gauge is worth buying.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by investigator
I think it was criminal of BMW to not install a water temp gauge in a Mini. What were they thinking? I have one in mine along with a boost gauge. I certainly believe the water temp gauge is worth buying.

I was talking to BMW's service department about the water/temp guage, and they told me BMW was too busy thinking of what they can jam into a cooper that they forgot to add water/temp guages. Also they told me the car is smart enough to tell wheather it overheats and what not. But personally i think it would of been better if BMW had included one. Might invest in one myself. Thanks

Old 02-03-2009, 03:56 PM
AkFarina
Banned
you can put a dab of silicone in the whole where the pin is. if you can here the gears moving i think you can put a lil oil in there

Old 02-04-2009, 05:46 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
I have done the silicone drop on each button, works well. Just have to get used to the gears they make noise with the needle moves. I can't hear my water gauge since it moves slowly, I can hear my boost gauge when the needle is moving up and down. Not to bad but it does make noise, I have learned to ignore it.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:53 PM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LONO
I have done the silicone drop on each button, works well. Just have to get used to the gears they make noise with the needle moves. I can't hear my water gauge since it moves slowly, I can hear my boost gauge when the needle is moving up and down. Not to bad but it does make noise, I have learned to ignore it.
I'm pretty sure there are no gears in the boost gauge. You might want to go to Prosport's website to learn about their construction. If you have questions about it you can call them in St. Petersburg, FL. The website is www.prosportgauges.com I've got the boost gauge from them and I don't hear any noise when the needle moves.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
A friend of mine had that problem, he solved it by putting a tiny rubber band around the little needle and it dampened the sound well. As far as the gear noise, i dont know how to fix that, but usually my music is too loud to notice that anyway.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LONO

My boost gauge makes the same noise. It has done it since day one, but never seemed to effect performance.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
A friend of mine had that problem, he solved it by putting a tiny rubber band around the little needle and it dampened the sound well. As far as the gear noise, i dont know how to fix that, but usually my music is too loud to notice that anyway.
Thanks for the tip to silence the pin. I'll give it a try if I can find a rubber band small enough. Cheers.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
if your looking for a small rubberband you might want to get one of those kinds people use for their braces. they are pretty small so it should fit well

Old 02-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by stinkytofu
if your looking for a small rubberband you might want to get one of those kinds people use for their braces. they are pretty small so it should fit well

nope. I tried that, and they are too big. They are also too small to double up on themselves.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 AM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was annoyed by the rattle as well. I took a piece of the felt with adhesive backing (walmart or michaels in the crafts section) and punched a circle with a simple hole punch and then cut a small notch (end result looks like a packman head) and put one under the head of the button in each gauge (water temp and boost). No more rattel and they are invisable (if you use black) against the dark gauge face. A getto fix, but Prosport offered no alternative (as did Alta).

Old 02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Hey guys!

Sorry that happens in some cases! We have found similar solutions:

1) Rotate the bezel away from the body and that sideways tension on the post/button thingy should eliminate the noise.

OR

2) A small dab of clear silicone on the lens of the gauge / button thingy to insulate that movement but keeps the button functioning (This one is MY solution.)

3)If available a little rubber band or o-ring. We haven't been able to source one, if we do this will then go in the kits.

Hope that helps! Thanks again everyone!