Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Small trick to get a lot more power

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009 | 04:50 PM
MiniPOLACK
3rd Gear
yey..i got my rear Hawk HPS pads in, finally..............errrrr....wron g post?

Last edited by MiniPOLACK; 03-25-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2009 | 05:15 PM
ac415
1st Gear
I Have an 86 GN and I adjust the wastegate by a screw.

Old 03-25-2009 | 06:07 PM
richi0207
4th Gear
Adjusting the wastegate without touching anything else will most likely give you a CEL and barely any power IF any. My brothers truck can do the same thing and when he adjusts the wastegate alittle, the truck runs lean and barely feel any power difference for a truck thats getting 412 rwhp.

Too lean= boom....Doing this mod=priceless....buying new engine= $9000....I have already went through my first engine which blew.

IMO This should not be done unless you have an EG gauge to see how things are running.

Old 03-25-2009 | 06:49 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
turbosix....

I don't know who you think you are to come in here and say all the **** you have. You're a complete moron.

Go play with your turbo 80's Buick. It's an OBDI car (if that) and the same tuning principles do not apply to the modern MINI and its engine/ecu and you are completely ignorant to think so.

Old 03-26-2009 | 06:39 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
On the contrarry; our R53s and R56s should be able to tune themselves better than the old ODB1 cars because of all the added sensory. Really, when we get a good jailbroken ECU we will be able to to all kinds and sorts of things. ODB1 systems usually need hard component upgrades and piggyback ecu modifiers. Best yet a standalone system. I'd rather work with an older style system or a MAP system cause they are easier to modify in my book. MAF sensors just add a restriction and pain point for any car equiped.

I'm right with TurboSix on all this. All you haters can wait endlessly for some sort of MAF tunable ECU. I'll do it old school and save my money for something well worth the purchase cost.

Now, its interesting to see that '07 R56s generally run more boost that '08 R56s due to an ECU change on the '08s. Well; do this nut mod and your back in business.

Last edited by unclemeat; 03-26-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Someone squeeled
Old 03-26-2009 | 06:50 AM
coopman7
3rd Gear

He dissapears from a post where people ask him for proof of all the BS we get nothing.. And here is some more jibberish

Go turn your wastegate screw and enjoy OTHERWISE post the facts and data we are all asking for ?? STILL NONE Truly classic.

Reality is calling...

Last edited by coopman7; 03-27-2009 at 05:08 AM. Reason: No post lengends hurl invective around, cant take it back and complained to admin
Old 03-26-2009 | 06:56 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
unclemeat - your an even bigger loser than that prat. Why dont you and your buddys go out in your Buicks and turn some screws
Will do. And thanks for clearing up everything.

I hate your smilies. You are now ignored.

Old 03-26-2009 | 07:00 AM
coopman7
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by unclemeat
Will do. And thanks for clearing up everything.

I hate your smilies. You are now ignored.
Let me get out the violin

scottab36
5th Gear
Unclemeat...

First off try spell check. Then do your homework before you bring your tuning mis-information and OBD1 propaganda around here. Better yet, just get with the non MINI owner turbosix (the six is actually his IQ) and see who can blow up their car first. Have a nice day!

unclemeat
3rd Gear
Remove user from ignore list
coopman7 This message is hidden because coopman7 is on your ignore list.
Soo much better

Old 03-26-2009 | 07:09 AM
coopman7
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by scottab36
Unclemeat...

First off try spell check. Then do your homework before you bring your tuning mis-information and OBD1 propaganda around here. Better yet, just get with the non MINI owner turbosix (the six is actually his IQ) and see who can blow up their car first. Have a nice day!
Well said

Old 03-26-2009 | 07:28 AM
Krut
6th Gear
I'm going to remind EVERYONE - this is a volatile, emotional thread . Please refrain from personal attacks on members posting in here - its in poor taste and secondly it's against NAM guidelines. If I see further attacks against posters in here I will start issuing strikes with points.

Now my personal opinion about this thread - unless you have dyno numbers and data logging, this is all bunk. Also, you're clearly playing with fire and violating terms of your manufacturers warranty - when your engine blows up because you were playing with wastegate screws - don't complain why MINI won't replace your engine.

As with all mods, mod at your own risk and be prepared to pay the cost of futzing with something that appears to have no benefit (based on the lack of data logging or dyno numbers).

Old 03-26-2009 | 07:48 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
Does the person who mentioned logging on page 3 have their logs? I really want to see the results.
As for the MAF vs. Speed density someone eventually will come out with a MAF-Translator like the Mitsubishi people use to run GM blow-through MAF sensors.

Old 03-26-2009 | 09:38 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Unclemeat...

Old 03-26-2009 | 11:10 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Jeez, all this hubbub just because of no dyno!!

unclemeat... if you just provide a damn dyno, I'm sure half of the attacks on your intelligence would be solved. The fact that you are hiding your results is what makes your claim so mischievous and deceptive. I could just as well say I beat Lancer Evolutions with my mods (see sig), but would you believe it?

Old 03-26-2009 | 12:00 PM
black_r56s
1st Gear
just want to chime in as a 3rd itme poster and say the service manager at my dealer said 13-14 psi is ok. i asked him about this and said just do your exhast first.

Old 03-26-2009 | 12:16 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Oh man I'm glad this thread exists. I noticed what sugar did to my nieces and nephews, so I thought "Hey, why wouldn't that work in my MINI as well", so I went out and bought a 5 lb bag of sugar (don't use brown sugar), and proceeded to pour it into the gas tank.

I couldn't believe the results, I got a 50 WHP increase AND an additional 10 MPG!

Old 03-27-2009 | 05:16 AM
coopman7
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mtuning3
i did a full log on it and ading 2.5 to 3 psi and the air fuel is good,there is no timing retard at all ,the ecu adapted to it, just you cant go creasy and add 8psi you will blow the engine
Originally Posted by JAceMin
sp check is all of our friends

and post the log, or it doesn't exist
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
So does it feel any faster or different?

+1 Would love to see your "datalogs"
Originally Posted by mtuning3
oh yes

Last edited by coopman7; 03-27-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2009 | 05:40 AM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
This tricked worked on my old 87' Grand National but that was then and this is now. Although advanced for its time (3.8SFI TURBO) its nothing compared to our R56 engine in terms of technology. I can attest Ryan's knowledge first hand as I run into him all the time at various events around the metro Detroit area and I tell him this, my car IQ goes up about 20 points talking to him. To me the thing is this, DOES the ECU dump more fuel/timing when it sees the boost going up by this mod

Old 03-27-2009 | 06:31 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Hey Klasse Act!

Since the R56 uses a MAF [or MAP in Europe] with closed loop wideband O2, it was always be able to nail its AFR target no matter the boost or power [within its capability]. I would expect the ECU to adapt fuel and timing to the wastegate flow restriction, however I would also expect to see a CEL posted as it would see more boost than it's EBCs target.

The thing about tightening down the wastegate valve linkage is you're restricting the ability of the wastegate to effectively regulate the speed of the turbo, and thus boost of the system. Too much restriction and you get an unregulated spike in boost, called "boost creep". This is why you always see huge Tial wastegate setups on high power/high boost setups like 500wHP+ Evo's, STI's, etc, because the slightest over pressure will be catastrophic for those engines pushed right to the edge.

Now I know the Grand National fanbois that have spoke up recently here claim this is the greatest mod since cutting your peanut butter and jelly sandwich in half, but you will never find a professional tuner or engineer recommend that restricting the wastegates flow capability an acceptable boost control method. This is why we all use MBCs and EBCs, to close the wastegate to build boost and then open it a certain amount [closer to full-open the harder we push the turbo/wastegate setup] to regulate it. I'm not intimate with the GN setup, but why don't they just run a proper boost controller instead of doing things half arsed? Are they that cheap they can't afford a needle valve from the hardware store? Even the Mopar 2.2L turbo guys can swing that!

Old 03-27-2009 | 11:53 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Are they that cheap they can't afford a needle valve from the hardware store? Even the Mopar 2.2L turbo guys can swing that!

Old 03-27-2009 | 06:19 PM
turbosix
2nd Gear

whats up guys.

oh i have a nice speed density car too, did you forget? they handle boost real nice too! imagine that..

200rwhp, throw on a vortech and you're ~320rwhp with no real other mods.

damn those complicated systems.

i'll get to some of the replies when i was gone in a second.

Old 03-27-2009 | 06:24 PM
turbosix
2nd Gear
turbosix,
What MINI do you own again? Was it the R53 or the R56? I didn't catch that part....
gf has an 08 MCS

Originally Posted by ac415
I Have an 86 GN and I adjust the wastegate by a screw.
whats up brah!

Originally Posted by richi0207
Adjusting the wastegate without touching anything else will most likely give you a CEL and barely any power IF any. My brothers truck can do the same thing and when he adjusts the wastegate alittle, the truck runs lean and barely feel any power difference for a truck thats getting 412 rwhp.

Too lean= boom....Doing this mod=priceless....buying new engine= $9000....I have already went through my first engine which blew.

IMO This should not be done unless you have an EG gauge to see how things are running.
EGT and / or wideband to see how the motor is reacting is of course a key element... and i mentioned it! a nice wideband will let you know whether your a/f readings are safe or not... which is the whole point of tuning. you need to know what your changes are doing, which i never said was not an issue.

Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
turbosix....

I don't know who you think you are to come in here and say all the **** you have. You're a complete moron.

Go play with your turbo 80's Buick. It's an OBDI car (if that) and the same tuning principles do not apply to the modern MINI and its engine/ecu and you are completely ignorant to think so.
its not an obdI car. its much much more basic. it cant even pull timing and boost back enough if you put in 87 octane to keep a stock car from being able to blow a headgasket. you're completely ignorant to think that a brand new car shoudlnt have the ability to adjust itself to a wide variety of conditions. not that it wont go BMW nanny on you and pull the plug on the power... i full on expect it to!

Old 03-27-2009 | 07:12 PM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
Yeah, because everyone wants their car to knock.

While I can appreciate your background with your GN, and will not add to the growing list of comments about why you cannot compare the two engines, this post gives those speaking against you additional credit. Why on earth would anyone want to add cheap gas, which will cause knocking to their car, as well as reduced effiency and horse power. EVERYONE knows that you can put lousy gas in a performance car. But why would you?

If you cannot afford the extra dollar or two for premium gas, you should not own the car in the first place, as you likely have other bills that are a greater priority and buying what could be a 30k+ car would irresponsible. Even at 20K would be irresponsible.

Originally Posted by turbosix

whats up guys.

oh i have a nice speed density car too, did you forget? they handle boost real nice too! imagine that..

200rwhp, throw on a vortech and you're ~320rwhp with no real other mods.

damn those complicated systems.

i'll get to some of the replies when i was gone in a second.

Old 03-27-2009 | 08:29 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by turbosix
gf has an 08 MCS

whats up brah!

EGT and / or wideband to see how the motor is reacting is of course a key element... and i mentioned it! a nice wideband will let you know whether your a/f readings are safe or not... which is the whole point of tuning. you need to know what your changes are doing, which i never said was not an issue.

its not an obdI car. its much much more basic. it cant even pull timing and boost back enough if you put in 87 octane to keep a stock car from being able to blow a headgasket. you're completely ignorant to think that a brand new car shoudlnt have the ability to adjust itself to a wide variety of conditions. not that it wont go BMW nanny on you and pull the plug on the power... i full on expect it to!
Great post....you still don't know wtf your talking about.

You think you can come in here with 0 posts and explain your 80's tuning knowledge...awesome. I'll repeat again...these car are NOT easy to mess with/tune. You are smoking some good drugs to think that the ECU will fix anything it throw at it. If that was the case, there would be absolutely NO need for tunes/software. People in Europe are putting down 220whp 250ish wtrq, with a tune...you think $400 for that is a waste of money? When turning the wastegate screw does nothing but cause CEL's and if it does work, gives 2 lbs of boost...i'll spend the $400 for 30 whp and greater driveability and piece of mind. Granted...I'll have to wait since I'm here in the US...but it will come one day.

You are new to the MINI world, so DO NOT apply your Buick knowledge to it. Many people here, as you've seen, will tell you that much of what you know DOES NOT APPLY. Why do you think it has taken 3 years and there is STILL no tune for the damn car?? VERY knowledgable people have been working with these things and nothing has come of it. That should tell you something. I know of a couple very capable, very knowledgeable tuners that simply gave up on the R56, because they just could not figure out a way to do anything to it and make it work right. If it was as easy as turning the wastegate screw...they would have just stopped there, trust me.

I think I've said enough for now...I could go on though...

Do yourself a favor, and spend some time reading through both the R56 forum and the R53 forums...go way back....read years worth of stuff, and maybe you'll learn something.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Small trick to get a lot more power