Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Small trick to get a lot more power

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009 | 04:13 AM
coopman7
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Great post....you still don't know wtf your talking about.

You think you can come in here with 0 posts and explain your 80's tuning knowledge...awesome. I'll repeat again...these car are NOT easy to mess with/tune. You are smoking some good drugs to think that the ECU will fix anything it throw at it. If that was the case, there would be absolutely NO need for tunes/software. People in Europe are putting down 220whp 250ish wtrq, with a tune...you think $400 for that is a waste of money? When turning the wastegate screw does nothing but cause CEL's and if it does work, gives 2 lbs of boost...i'll spend the $400 for 30 whp and greater driveability and piece of mind. Granted...I'll have to wait since I'm here in the US...but it will come one day.

You are new to the MINI world, so DO NOT apply your Buick knowledge to it. Many people here, as you've seen, will tell you that much of what you know DOES NOT APPLY. Why do you think it has taken 3 years and there is STILL no tune for the damn car?? VERY knowledgable people have been working with these things and nothing has come of it. That should tell you something. I know of a couple very capable, very knowledgeable tuners that simply gave up on the R56, because they just could not figure out a way to do anything to it and make it work right. If it was as easy as turning the wastegate screw...they would have just stopped there, trust me.

I think I've said enough for now...I could go on though...

Do yourself a favor, and spend some time reading through both the R56 forum and the R53 forums...go way back....read years worth of stuff, and maybe you'll learn something.
Well said.

Theres nothing better than destroying all of his arguments for him to come back and fuel our fire with more of his nonsense BUT watching him destroy his own arguments is priceless..

Old 03-29-2009 | 06:45 PM
pmmiller
1st Gear
Food for thought.
We all agree the R56 has an over boost function. Which suggest the ECU controls the boost pressure. So if the WG rod is adjusted the ECU will try to compensate (either way up or down) to the ECU's desired boost. So the only way to get additional boost is to not allow the WG to open far enough to prevent the ECU from achieving its desire boost level. When the resulting over boost level exceeds the time limit determined by the ECU it will turn on the CEL.
So with these assumptions it is possible to get additional boost (by no means a safe way) but if you go too far or too long it will result in a CEL and no power.

More on the safe part. Consider a cool dry evening compared to a hot damp day. With the WG adjustment fixed (not opening far enough) you could turn on the CEL easier on the cool evening than in the hot day. There would be no consistency. If you go way to far (adjusting the waste gate) possible engine damage will occur.

My opinion on the fuel is the ECU will continue to add fuel based on the MAF until the ECU runs out of mapping and then it will turn on the CEL.

Old 03-30-2009 | 03:23 AM
coopman7
3rd Gear
No this wouldnt be the case.. Yes the ecu controlls boost but if you then go fiddling with the wastegate screw to supposedly get more boost the ecu wont just add more fuel in - it sounds great to tell yourself, yeah dont worry the ecu will have it covered but yet again there is NO PROOF!! So until there is the ecu DOES NOT compensate for that highly accurate way of upping the boost.
What your saying is if you go buy a boost controller and turn it up the ecu will add more fuel. In that case the ecu is still thinking its trying to make standard boost and will develop a cel when things run lean.... This works on some cars and i dont see it happening on the mini and being that there is no proof means IT DOESNT WORK..

Its been 2 weeks since asking for data. Its very clear this doesnt work AND that the fools who came on here pretending to have the data dont seem to be posting in their owns threads anymore

Old 03-30-2009 | 05:47 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Way to much conjecture and no useful information in this thread. I've decided until someone posts data logging results and dyno sheets (which you can do by sending me a PM) I'm closing this thread.