Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56 custom tuning by RMW

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009 | 10:45 AM
jproz
3rd Gear
What entertains the hell out of me is he's from Irvine, CA. Yet, all those tunes are on the east coast... go figure!

Old 06-02-2009 | 10:58 AM
newbs49
Banned
Check out the Koni Challenge
Fl, Fl, NJ, Ca, NY,OH ,Al, Quebec, UT, Va.
That's why he's on the East Coast a lot.

Old 06-02-2009 | 12:51 PM
swest2507
1st Gear
For anyone concerned about drivability and a neutral opinion (I have never had any association with Jan or even met or talked with him) etc.....I have driven Thumper's car. I have a stock 2009 Cooper S and Stock 2009 JCW Cpe and an Ex- Bimmerworld SWC 3 series. His car definitely pulls hard in all gears with little to no torque steer. Power delivery is very smooth and linear. There is no turbo peeking or hard ramp up often found on many aggressive tunes where they bring too much boost or timing in too quickly. I would say it is NOT an aggressive tune which may cause future problems but rather a great safe tune that will allow for many miles of enjoyment. I too however am curious to see A/F #’s to determine if I will put it on our MINI’s. I would say Thumper’s car feels about as quick as the JCW. Next time he is in town we are going to run the two cars side by side for comparison.

As a side note piggy back ecu's and "boost boxes" are not a good idea as they increase boost while relying on the stock ecu to compensate often for the timing, injector timing, and fuel flow. Often times you get a very lean condition somewhere in the maps which over time is what gives you a "blown motor" often caused due to piston hot spotting= holes in your pistons and or pistons disintegrating= BOOM. FYI this is not directed at anyone, just background information for those newb's looking for more info why reflashing an ecu is better than going the piggyback route. 9 out of 10 times a reflash is safer as a good tuner will play with all of the aspects of a map or maps to ensure safety.

Jan do you have any capabilities to tune OBD1 BMW ECU’s? We just built a new race motor for the race car and need to get it tuned so it will run safely. Can’t find anyone here in AZ that I would trust.

Old 06-05-2009 | 07:30 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jproz
What entertains the hell out of me is he's from Irvine, CA. Yet, all those tunes are on the east coast... go figure!
Jan is helping with a race team, RSR, that is currently running their cars this past month at Limerock and this month at Watkins Glen.

Old 06-05-2009 | 07:32 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by newbs49
Check out the Koni Challenge
Fl, Fl, NJ, Ca, NY,OH ,Al, Quebec, UT, Va.
That's why he's on the East Coast a lot.
You got it!

Old 06-08-2009 | 04:23 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
When do you think the device will be ready?

Old 06-11-2009 | 07:58 AM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
I would love to talk about a device too, so I can take it to a tuner near me and get it customed and what not. This sounds like a great idea with a great product. Glad someone finally got the tune created.

Old 06-13-2009 | 09:21 AM
got.pho?
4th Gear
mark (orangecrush)'s JCW is on the dyno at the moment. cant wait to see the results!!!!! cnt wait for mine either!!!!

Old 06-13-2009 | 03:52 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by got.pho?
mark (orangecrush)'s JCW is on the dyno at the moment. cant wait to see the results!!!!! cnt wait for mine either!!!!
ANNDDDDDD....

Old 06-13-2009 | 06:45 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
per the louisville thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...isville-8.html

Today, 04:18 PM
Uncl3 vbmenu_register("postmenu_2794793", true);
3rd Gear

Had a full JCW R56 pull 222hp and 250 torque.

Last edited by RED FURY; 06-13-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2009 | 08:32 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Just walked in now (11:10pm) I left at 4am and got to Louisville at 11am. My scheduled dyno run was suppose to be at 6pm.

Brian (I didn't catch his screenname but he had an '08 Clubbie) let me take his spot so I could make it back tonight. THANKS BRIAN!!!

I got on the dyno and didn't get a chance to see a baseline run. Jan wasn't sure if my car would take the tune he had and by the time he had it on, we decided just to go for it.

Halfway through the tune, the hotside tube came apart (long story) so I put it back together. At the end of the tune, it came apart again so I had to take it off the dyno and therefore didn't get a chance to do a baseline run (Jan was going to install the stock tune back in)

Jan actually cranked a little more out of it but felt it would be safer at these numbers.

Also, Jan wasn't totally pleased with the results but because of time restraints, he did what he could.

I want to thank Jan and Billy, the owner of the shop. Everyone was patient and helpful and I especially want to thank Brian. If you decide to paint your rear clubbie panels to match your car, I will do them for free. Just let me know.

I will scan and post a graph tomorrow. I never really made it to bed last night before I left at 4am so I've been up 42 and a half hours.

Thanks everyone.

Mark

PS. I still haven't really nailed hit because I didn't want the tube to blow off again. I will get another tube soon. Just for the record, just merely stepping on the gas at 75mph, I can feel it pull.

PSS. Ever since I got the full exhaust and downpipe, my mileage has gone up 2-3mpg. Didn't change after the tune but sure made the exhaust louder.

Here is the graph. It's actually at 221.1 and just shy of 250 tq at it's peak and for some reason, Jan says all JCW go up, dip and back up... not sure why but anyway, here it is.

Not quite what I had hoped for graph-wise, not numbers wise but nonetheless....

Last edited by orangecrush; 06-14-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-13-2009 | 08:50 PM
old81
M6
Nice numbers, Mark. Was this a dyno at the wheels rolling or bolt to the MINI?

Good you had a great weekend, get some sleep.

I'm at the races, going to rack out, long day in the sun.

Don

Old 06-13-2009 | 08:54 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Nice numbers, Mark. Was this a dyno at the wheels rolling or bolt to the MINI?

Don, that was a dyno at the wheels. Have fun at the track. I'll talk to you later.

Mark

Old 06-14-2009 | 11:41 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Orange,

What mods have you done to your car to get these numbers? What brand of tube was it that popped off? Can you explain how it "fell apart"?

Old 06-14-2009 | 12:03 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Orange,

What mods have you done to your car to get these numbers? What brand of tube was it that popped off? Can you explain how it "fell apart"?

Shane,

The car only has a Forge intercooler, DDM CAI, Exhaust Depot downpipe and full exhaust and ED's cold side tube.

The hotside tube was a concoction of an Exhaust Depot hotside tube and an Alta hotside tube. What happened is I bought the ED hotside tube from a friend who never used it.

It didn't fit worth a damn (as opposed to the perfection that the rest of the exhaust is made with) so I cut it in half. I then cut my Alta and used the upper half of it.

It was temporary until I get an NM engr'ing hotside tube in. Unfortunately because I cut the hotside tube in half, it no longer had a "flange" for the upper Alta to stay on.

It was my fault, it was a homemade remedy because by the time I realized it didn't fit, I was screwed. It was the night before I was to go to the dyno so....

Anyway, that's it, not much really.

Mark

Old 06-14-2009 | 12:09 PM
jproz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush

It was my fault, it was a homemade remedy because by the time I realized it didn't fit, I was screwed. It was the night before I was to go to the dyno so....
I laughed when I read this part; the path of a serial modder.... "I know I can make this work damnit..." Hahaha .. so many times....

Old 06-14-2009 | 12:16 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jproz
I laughed when I read this part; the path of a serial modder.... "I know I can make this work damnit..." Hahaha .. so many times....
LOL, technically it's fixed now. When it came off the second time, Billy welded a bead around each end... I doubt it would come apart now.

The reason I'm changing it is two-fold.

1) I don't want to take that chance.

2) Because of the shape of the setup now, I felt it catching on the shifter linkage when going into 5th or 6th.

Mark

Old 06-15-2009 | 01:53 PM
tacostrk
2nd Gear
Brian (I didn't catch his screenname but he had an '08 Clubbie) let me take his spot so I could make it back tonight. THANKS BRIAN!!!

I want to thank Jan and Billy, the owner of the shop. Everyone was patient and helpful and I especially want to thank Brian. If you decide to paint your rear clubbie panels to match your car, I will do them for free. Just let me know.

I will scan and post a graph tomorrow. I never really made it to bed last night before I left at 4am so I've been up 42 and a half hours.

Thanks everyone.

Mark

PS. I still haven't really nailed hit because I didn't want the tube to blow off again. I will get another tube soon. Just for the record, just merely stepping on the gas at 75mph, I can feel it pull.

PSS. Ever since I got the full exhaust and downpipe, my mileage has gone up 2-3mpg. Didn't change after the tune but sure made the exhaust louder.

Here is the graph. It's actually at 221.1 and just shy of 250 tq at it's peak and for some reason, Jan says all JCW go up, dip and back up... not sure why but anyway, here it is.

Not quite what I had hoped for graph-wise, not numbers wise but nonetheless....
Not a problem man. I've been having a ball with mine I'll post up my dyno sheet soon but for those wondering I pulled about 160hp stock and 191 after. TQ is up quite a bit also to around 230 . All this with just a Millteck exhaust and a power robbing automatic. What did some of the other r56s get?

Old 06-15-2009 | 02:14 PM
tacostrk
2nd Gear
welp here is my dyno sheet

Attached Thumbnails R56 custom tuning by RMW-dyno.jpg  
Old 06-15-2009 | 02:47 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
DAMN man... that really sucks. I mean, great numbers for you but if I'm at 250 tq with a JCW AND intercooler AND CAI AND downpipe AND full exhaust AND you're in an automatic, how in the hell did you pull only 20 less tq than mine?

Either....

a) Milltek's exhaust is better than everyone knows.

b) you've got a freak.

c) mods don't make a difference.

d) JCW don't make a difference.

e) I need another tune.

f) Mine is a POS.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder...lol.

Glad you turned the numbers you turned but in retrospect, for another 20 ft lbs of tq, why spend an add'l 6-8K in money.

Old 06-15-2009 | 03:34 PM
old81
M6
Mark, my R56 pulls 205WHP and 238WTQ with a DDM CAI on a DynoJet.

Popular belief is some dynos report low and some high, but it is all about repeatability on the same dyno. There are some old thread here on NAM about the different results on each type of Dyno.

It is how it performs on the track and 1/4 mile if your into the 1/4 mile stuff.

If your happy and can feel it in the backside, then good results.

If you want to drive out to Colorado for a DynoJet pull, let me know. You can stay in my guest room.

Don

Old 06-15-2009 | 03:43 PM
tacostrk
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Mark, my R56 pulls 205WHP and 238WTQ with a DDM CAI on a DynoJet.

Popular belief is some dynos report low and some high, but it is all about repeatability on the same dyno. There are some old thread here on NAM about the different results on each type of Dyno.

It is how it performs on the track and 1/4 mile if your into the 1/4 mile stuff.

If your happy and can feel it in the backside, then good results.

If you want to drive out to Colorado for a DynoJet pull, let me know. You can stay in my guest room.

Don
Yea but he dynoed just 1 hr before me but then again I don't know what gear other autos do a pull in. I believe all my runs were in 4th gear but now that I think about it I'm not sure. Heck maybe the JCW does'nt have the extra headroom in it for improvements unless you go bigger turbo. I do know that the lil clubbie is so easy now to drive really quickly even without sport mode on.

Last edited by tacostrk; 06-15-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: retarded
Old 06-15-2009 | 04:44 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
DAMN man... that really sucks. I mean, great numbers for you but if I'm at 250 tq with a JCW AND intercooler AND CAI AND downpipe AND full exhaust AND you're in an automatic, how in the hell did you pull only 20 less tq than mine?

Either....

a) Milltek's exhaust is better than everyone knows.

b) you've got a freak.

c) mods don't make a difference.

d) JCW don't make a difference.

e) I need another tune.

f) Mine is a POS.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder...lol.

Glad you turned the numbers you turned but in retrospect, for another 20 ft lbs of tq, why spend an add'l 6-8K in money.

The AFR's seem to be going too lean when you have an open or ram intake and very high flow exhaust. You probably see it in your MPG's when you aren't romping on it. I think my car has more power now and better throttle response with the OEM airbox and a custom 3" exhaust that starts at the bottom of the DP than it did with the Alta CAI and full turboback exhaust.

I spent money like you did and here I am still spending, swapping parts to get the best combination. I have a JCW air intake (from the tuning kit) and Alta foam filter on order to see if that works out better

The tune should be able to compensate to get more out of everything but maybe bigger fuel injectors are needed as well? I am eventually going to get the tune and these will be questions I ask RMW beforehand.

Old 06-15-2009 | 05:27 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Well, I did ask Jan if he had a tune for the JCW and I was assured that he had one. (which he did)

After 2 hours on the dyno, (the hotside tube came off twice... once during that 2 hour period and once at the end)

I'm not real thrilled with the outcome of this tune. It's noticeable but there are guys running 230-240 wtq with stock JCW.

Guess I'll have to wait until someone has a better grasp on the JCW.

My mods aren't that extensive. DDM CAI, full exhaust and Forge intercooler.

I'm not real thrilled with the numbers.

Sooner or later a tune will be available for the JCW cause for 725 bucks, (that was after Jan deducted 100 bucks because he wasn't happy with it either) it wasn't worth the money.

Mark

EDIT: I should make note that I'm not totally thrilled with the results only because I was expecting more.... not because I am unhappy with Jan's tuning. If someone else tuned it and I got much better results, then I would have a problem with his tune. I was just expecting better results and the final numbers were disappointing. Perhaps I can get Jan to spend some time tuning it when he's not pushed for time.

Last edited by orangecrush; 06-16-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2009 | 08:25 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
In my opinion, your numbers aren't as impressive to you as they should be for the following reasons:

-The JCW stuff probably WORKS. You changed the full exhaust and intake, which in my opinion, JCW actually did it right this time around. I'm convinced the JCW intake is the best way to go. And looks like the exhaust isn't so bad either. Changing on all this stuff on a JCW doesn't make sense, cuz the JCW is basically an already modded version of the Cooper S. So you're just changing from one aftermarket part to another essentially. And the only thing I see remotely helping you is your aftermarket IC, and with that...I have heard not such good things about the Forge.

-The JCW is already maxed out, so the gains are going to be less. A lot of the gains in a JCW over a stock S are probably in the ECU, along with the above parts. So it makes sense that you're not seeing much higher numbers than a lot of the other "stock" cars. Remember, the JCW has the same engine as the Cooper S...sure some of the internals are forged but that is not going to give you more power.

It's a shame you don't like the tune...you're the only one that I've heard of, everyone else that I have spoken with that has it is ecstatic about it, myself included. However, you are the only one with a JCW...JCW's are already fast as it is. Your gains are not going to be proportional to the gains everyone else is seeing sadly.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain R56 custom tuning by RMW