Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56 custom tuning by RMW

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009 | 01:19 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
I like the fact that the torque increase is across the range, I imagine it might even feel a little like the stock 09 JCW, I hope so.
It feels faster than a JCW . It should be too seeing as it has more torque...

Old 04-27-2009 | 02:05 PM
TerryD
4th Gear
The gains look really good. Is the extra power suitable for track days or just stop light to stop light. This weekend, my car did 9 track sessions, all within sight of the upper limit. What is the down side (if any) of the tune in this application?

Old 04-27-2009 | 03:27 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TerryD
The gains look really good. Is the extra power suitable for track days or just stop light to stop light. This weekend, my car did 9 track sessions, all within sight of the upper limit. What is the down side (if any) of the tune in this application?
In my opinion...the R56 in general is not suitable for a track car.

Buy an R53. In a perfect world, I'd have a R56 for my street car and a R53 for the track...but the world isn't perfect.

If you do go to the track...then yes, I can see the tune making the power band much, much better for the track. Gives you more torque throughout the rev band to play with and pull out of the corners with.

Old 04-27-2009 | 04:02 PM
JAS76
3rd Gear
Well Jan,

Count me in when a handheld flash device is available for the R56

J

Old 04-27-2009 | 04:45 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PoktRokt
sorry for the dumb questions, what exactly will the ECU tell to give and generate more boost?
The ECU controls the solenoid allowing pressure from the compressed-air side of you turbo to push against the diaphram in the waste gate. The ECU also controls the bypass/recirc valve and can dump boost quickly, like when shifting or when traction control kicks in.

- back on topic -
I'll take one of those flash units as soon as they're available, just to hold me over until the roadshow hits Seattle.

Old 04-27-2009 | 05:06 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS

Buy an R53. In a perfect world, I'd have a R56 for my street car and a R53 for the track...but the world isn't perfect.

If you do go to the track...then yes, I can see the tune making the power band much, much better for the track. Gives you more torque throughout the rev band to play with and pull out of the corners with.
Hey, Hey! My R56 performed wonderfully on the track last week! Don't hate! Then again, I tightened the suspension, tuned the camber/toe settings, and lowered the car...so maybe that had something to do with it

If the torque is increased like Thumper states, going through the bends and twisties would be ridiculous fun...on track or off...can't wait!

Old 04-27-2009 | 06:47 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dtsoccer6
Hey, Hey! My R56 performed wonderfully on the track last week! Don't hate! Then again, I tightened the suspension, tuned the camber/toe settings, and lowered the car...so maybe that had something to do with it

If the torque is increased like Thumper states, going through the bends and twisties would be ridiculous fun...on track or off...can't wait!
Not saying an R56 won't perform well on the track! I'm sure its still more fun and better handling than the majority of the cars out there.

Old 04-27-2009 | 07:28 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
I know this question is a bit premature, but it will certainly be addressed over time, but is there anyone knowledgable enough at this point to compare what RMW is doing vs. what Alta is doing?? Even at the most basic level?

Old 04-27-2009 | 07:34 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I know this question is a bit premature, but it will certainly be addressed over time, but is there anyone knowledgable enough at this point to compare what RMW is doing vs. what Alta is doing?? Even at the most basic level?

RMW has tuning in customers cars being driven.
Alta's hasn't been released.

Old 04-27-2009 | 07:38 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth

Old 04-27-2009 | 07:48 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth

Right, Right...but, just based off of Alta's latest thread and release of info, are the tunes similiar as in how they are delivered, maps possible, customization etc.? Sorry, maybe this is waaaaay too soon given that Alta doesn't even have something on the shelf yet, but being new to tuning, I'm not sure how similar or alike these tunes will be.

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:53 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
well, both are being very vague about what the final product will be. Both indicate that they will be able to handle multiple tunes so you can re-flash when ever you want. Currently, it seems as though RMW's is just a one time flash, but the plan seems to be to release something else in the near future that can handle multiple maps.

Alta seems to be waiting to get their whole hand-held device ready before they release anything. Alta is Perrin, a very well known tuning company in the subie world. In the subie world, Cobb Accessport is the way to go, and Alta has indicated that their tuning device will be similar. Check out the accessport and you'll like what you see.

I've got time to wait, won't be in the market for a while.

Old 04-27-2009 | 09:01 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dwf137
In the subie world, Cobb Accessport is the way to go, and Alta has indicated that their tuning device will be similar. Check out the accessport and you'll like what you see.

I've got time to wait, won't be in the market for a while.
Keep in mind that in the Subie world ecu maps and tuning are open source....

Old 04-27-2009 | 09:44 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Keep in mind that in the Subie world ecu maps and tuning are open source....
True, I've been working as a Subaru tech for a while, but their ecu's are simple & primitive compared to the R56 Mini's. They're also pretty much the same regardless of the market and have much larger numbers. As difficult as the Mini ecu has been to crack and as limited as the market is, I can't see anyone giving the tech away for free. Who doesn't want something for nothing, but at the same time, you get what you pay for.

Alta's well known because of their shiny website & self promotion, but they've also got the worlds worst customer service & some really defective products, p0420 anyone ? Alta's into mass production, RMW does custom work, even if they both end up using the same flash loader, there's a real difference in philosophy/approach.

Old 04-27-2009 | 09:59 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
Haha, p0420 here, but I have not experienced defective products except the p0420 error. Hopefully the ECU tuners can block this message.

Old 04-27-2009 | 10:09 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by n1tr0
True, I've been working as a Subaru tech for a while, but their ecu's are simple & primitive compared to the R56 Mini's. They're also pretty much the same regardless of the market and have much larger numbers. As difficult as the Mini ecu has been to crack and as limited as the market is, I can't see anyone giving the tech away for free. Who doesn't want something for nothing, but at the same time, you get what you pay for.

Alta's well known because of their shiny website & self promotion, but they've also got the worlds worst customer service & some really defective products, p0420 anyone ? Alta's into mass production, RMW does custom work, even if they both end up using the same flash loader, there's a real difference in philosophy/approach.
Well said n1tro

And you hit the nail on the head with Alta...that's my view also. Although I have never bought an Alta product so I can't comment on their customer service, but it always seemed good to me and they seem like good guys. However, that's besides the point.

They are successful at what they do...marketing. Alta is a marketing machine, and it works for them. They know how to market pretty parts, that may or may not work. The general population responds well to their pretty pictures, logos, website, claims etc.

Look at RMW's website....or lack there of. Jan hardly has a website, and doesn't really even need one. His knowledge, experience, parts, & tuning speaks for itself and sells. You'll never find RMW coming out with things like colored boost tubes or intakes. Not claiming that intakes don't work...but Jan spends his research and money on bigger and better things. RMW is not afraid to say that a stock part may infact work better. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Yes, n1tro...their philosophies and approaches differ greatly, and people will spend their money on whatever philosophy they think is better. Then when they spent thousands on a bunch of parts and wonder why their car isn't putting out as much as it should or why its never worked right....guess who they take it to and ask to fix the mess?

Old 04-28-2009 | 08:27 AM
vmk82
1st Gear
Thankyou people are always asking why I don't support alta
And they never seem to get it
Back on topic
Jan I think u need to post a schedule up so I can go on a road trip and
Track you down when your at least some what closer to chicago
I'd rather pay and go out of my way for a custom tune than get remote

Old 04-28-2009 | 11:05 AM
TerryD
4th Gear

In a perfect world, WRX for track and R56 for street. The WRX(s) were very fast and nimble, in my run group.
Back to my question. Is there any inherent weakness in the engine that would be exposed in track day use with the tune?

Last edited by TerryD; 04-28-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2009 | 12:36 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
So forgive me if I missed anything previously in the thread, and not to take away from the track/street car model discussion lol, but

The R56 tune, say in Louisville comming up in june... Is it basically a ECU reflash? Can you turn it on and off ( i guess you'd need a flash tool or whatever)? What if the dealer has it in for something..like when they reflashed for a faulty window?.. does it dissappear?

...or are these details not out yet...

just trying to catch up on this

Old 04-28-2009 | 12:47 PM
old81
M6
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
So forgive me if I missed anything previously in the thread, and not to take away from the track/street car model discussion lol, but

The R56 tune, say in Louisville comming up in june... Is it basically a ECU reflash? Can you turn it on and off ( i guess you'd need a flash tool or whatever)? What if the dealer has it in for something..like when they reflashed for a faulty window?.. does it dissappear?

...or are these details not out yet...

just trying to catch up on this
From what I have read in this thread and talking with a good source, a flashing tool will be available.

It is really to early to tell what all of the options and features that will be available with the RMW R56 tune.

Give it a couple of weeks, then we should have some real information as Jan progresses with his R56 tune and variations.

You will need a flash tool to reinstall the RMW R56 tune if the dealer updates your ecu with a change. I have a standing request with my dealer, do not do any ECU changes, since nothing is broke on my April build 07 MCSa, before they reduced the power with an ecu update sometime in the summer/fall of 07.

Don

Old 04-28-2009 | 01:22 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
ahh i see. thank you. Ill just keep my ears open in hopes its complete on a flash for June

i just saw in the 1st gen section theyre kind of "taking attendance" and cant say yay or nay w/o knowin!

no pressure Jan lol

Old 04-28-2009 | 10:42 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
Any new updates from RMW? I am seeing Tuning dates setup but is the Tune dialed and ready for all to enjoy?

Old 04-28-2009 | 10:50 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Any new updates from RMW? I am seeing Tuning dates setup but is the Tune dialed and ready for all to enjoy?

Jan has already tuned several cars. The customers can't change the tunes themselves but you still get your tune! Besides - what customer is going to tune better than Jan? Just don't let the dealer flash you and you'll be ok.

The guy in Hawaii who is using the same tool as Jan has tuned two already - my 2007 blind tune (no dyno) and I watched another one get dyno tuned today (+17 hp and +31 torque.) My 2009 JCW will be tuned soon.

edit:

as a side note the two tunes were barely touching the boost as neither of us have boost gauges installed (yet - they are in hand) and the tuner is being cautious. So almost all the gains were from tweaking timing and A/F. The boost was only upped by about 5%.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 04-28-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2009 | 10:56 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
You JCW guys, you better watch out or I am going to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all over you guys..

Old 04-28-2009 | 11:23 PM
MiniBAH
3rd Gear
Jan, when you get the flash tool and JCW maps I'm placing my order in 2 seconds I have a friend with a stock '09 who will definitely go for it

Quick Reply: Drivetrain R56 custom tuning by RMW