Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain NM Engineering Discharge Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009 | 09:48 AM
dtsoccer6
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PoktRokt
well said dtsoccer6, we do all have our separate opinions. I respect yours as well (group hug). If you have done separte research on the subject that has directed you towards the hard tubes than so be it. I think we should give ALta some credit as a reputable car tunning/modding company that also does lots of research and testing to come up with good products as well. I think they got a bad apple in the Unichip and maybe didn't deal with the fall out the best they could, but that's just what I read. no personal involvement with that. There seems to be a lot of ALta bashing lately from people taking their personal frustratons with the company and posting them on public forums. Is this right? I'm not too sure. I've only been on here about 6 months (everyday for 6 months though ) so I haven't seen a lot of promotion by Alta. Usually he is just answering questions, inserting his 2cents, or defending his product. ANYWAYS, lets move on in this thread and get more opinions on the hard tube/soft tube question. My question is - are the boost pressures even high enough to make a difference?
Not to say they are not reputable, like I said, they do make decent parts, parts that I currently have on my car and they perform outstanding, but in my experience they have slipped as of late. Thats all I will say on that because I already talked to Adam about this last week.

Like I stated before, the pressure exerted on the track in situations where WOT is common, I would prefer to have a hard pipe where I know no matter what, expansion will not happen. Clearly, the other day it popped off the car without much throttle, having that happen on the track can prove tragic. That's why my view, which has track days/events in mind, the hard pipe is better. Having it feel like it added some torque is just a bonus...the piece of mind of being safe on the track, while I run higher boost, is what I am looking out for, hence why I bought this setup.

To answer your question about boost pressure, the ALTA tubes are perfectly fine for daily driving, but I feel like if thats all your doing, the stock tubes, although they restrict air, can maintain the boost permitted by the stock ecu, thats why they are there. You need to buy 300+ additional tubes for this. You get what I'm saying?

The ALTA setup is merely a way to open the air ways, silicone is not made to replace factory pipes for high boost cars, imo. It dresses the engine and opens the air ways, thats its purpose and the only way it proves power in the ALTA graphs is when you have all other components attached. Am I wrong Adam? Do you have graphs with just the pipes on and nothing else to see what numbers it makes?

Hope this answered your questions. I am not the end all, see all but thats my 0.02.

Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
dtsoccer6: I am NOT trying to poo poo the hard pipe kit that you got. Seriously, it is a free world, competition is good for any business and this is no exception.

My concern was a post was made that was factually in error. The tubes don't swell to any degree that is appreciable. The silicone is smooth on the inside, reduces transitional turbulence and (assuming trimmed to the proper length and it feel that the clients that have had a problem with them popping off is 100% our fault. We have adjusted the trim fixture accordingly.) makes the HP results as shown in our dyno plots and DOES NOT REDUCE boost pressure.

There is no "placebo" effect with any product we make that we also show a dyno result for. The intake is no exception. We dyno hood shut not open. As I have stated in multiple other threads (search if you want) that we too were surprised by the results, but the air flow characteristics of the OEM fresh air tube, scoop and under car currents bathe the filter area in cool air. The reduction in air box and filter restriction combined to make a repeatable result. My opinion still stands that a dyno doesn't lie if tested in a proper manner.

That was essentially it. If we have ever failed you on a customer service issue, lets take that to PM's and you can then post the results if you choose. I WANT TO HELP ANYONE who wants help. We make mistakes, to error is human no matter how much we attempt to reduce it. So if something has slipped in our relationship in recent, PLEASE let me know! I can't fix what I don't know about.

Having said that I have no issue backing out of this thread if you feel like I was attacking another product. But nothing is farther from the truth. Your new part is just great! Should make near identical gains to any of the other popular options. Aluminum tubes with 90 deg. ends is less expensive to make than a complete silicone replacement. But if you are happy, I AM TRULY happy! Why wouldn't I be? I am enthusiast first, parts mfr. second. True statement ask anyone who knows me!

Have a GREAT weekend!
You don't have to back off and maybe I was releasing some frustration and I apologize, but this was not a comparison thread. Not a ALTA Boost Tubes v. NM eng thread. It is a thread explaining the NM pipe and what experience I have had with it. Coming in here and clearing up a boost post error is fine, your knowledge is welcome.

Yes you showed dyno results, but did you with just the tubes and nothing else? If so please direct me! I feel as though the purpose of the tubes was to help with airflow. The stock pipes can handle the stock boost. Calling them boost tubes confuses people I feel. I explained my issue above and why I purchased the hard kit, the reason was due to boost pressures with my new tune, not airflow.

If it were airflow, I would of stuck with your setup. However, if the design I purchased from you was better, I would of kept it on the car. I mean not for nothing, but for all the R&D you say do, there a lot of V.2 and V.3 from ALTA...just make a final product that is issue free instead of trying to be the first vendor to release a product and you will have customers who aren't constantly frustrated because of malfunctions. Kinda like your finally doing with your ecu tune...

If its less expensive to make a hard kit, why don't you? I don't get the relevance that has to this thread?

Anyways, PoktRokt, I hope you can understand my view on this..as I know many people are different, and if you do, then great!

Old 05-01-2009 | 10:32 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dtsoccer6
Not to say they are not reputable, like I said, they do make decent parts, parts that I currently have on my car and they perform outstanding, but in my experience they have slipped as of late. Thats all I will say on that because I already talked to Adam about this last week.
I know we spoke about a minor issue with a phone call lost in the system (which is an issue no doubt! As I mention to anyone who asks, PM ME your TEL# any day of the week and YOU WILL get a call back, either from me, or from my staff. Never hurts to poke at me.) the other issue with the wrong hardware on a set of endlinks. Again, sucks but we did get it addressed that day. I don't really see how that is us slipping as of late?

Like I stated before, the pressure exerted on the track in situations where WOT is common, I would prefer to have a hard pipe where I know no matter what, expansion will not happen. Clearly, the other day it popped off the car without much throttle, having that happen on the track can prove tragic. That's why my view, which has track days/events in mind, the hard pipe is better. Having it feel like it added some torque is just a bonus...the piece of mind of being safe on the track, while I run higher boost, is what I am looking out for, hence why I bought this setup.

To answer your question about boost pressure, the ALTA tubes are perfectly fine for daily driving, but I feel like if thats all your doing, the stock tubes, although they restrict air, can maintain the boost permitted by the stock ecu, thats why they are there. You need to buy 300+ additional tubes for this. You get what I'm saying?
As I said above. If installed properly, and not cut short (not making excuses) the part will withstand HEAVY track and street use. My argument is still the same against a hardpipe like the NM. You have two additional potential failure points (two extra clamps), changes in transitional airflow from turbo, to coupler, to hard pipe, back to coupler, coupler to FMIC. VS> any silicone version that has one smooth transition from the turbo to FMIC.

The ALTA setup is merely a way to open the air ways, silicone is not made to replace factory pipes for high boost cars, imo. It dresses the engine and opens the air ways, thats its purpose and the only way it proves power in the ALTA graphs is when you have all other components attached. Am I wrong Adam? Do you have graphs with just the pipes on and nothing else to see what numbers it makes?

Hope this answered your questions. I am not the end all, see all but thats my 0.02.
WOW! "silicone is not made to replace factory pipes on high boost car, imo." Well thank god that is your opinion. You would have thousands of Subaru, Mitsubishi, VW, Audi, customers of ours and other popular silicone manufacturers that would BEG to differ with that opinion!

While the boost tubes DO make HP gains on any setup, I agree the only dyno plot currently shown online is of a car with the other popular options. I will make an effort to get another dyno plot up in short order! Point well taken.

You don't have to back off and maybe I was releasing some frustration and I apologize, but this was not a comparison thread. Not a ALTA Boost Tubes v. NM eng thread. It is a thread explaining the NM pipe and what experience I have had with it. Coming in here and clearing up a boost post error is fine, your knowledge is welcome.
Thank you! Valid point and admission!

Yes you showed dyno results, but did you with just the tubes and nothing else? If so please direct me! I feel as though the purpose of the tubes was to help with airflow. The stock pipes can handle the stock boost. Calling them boost tubes confuses people I feel. I explained my issue above and why I purchased the hard kit, the reason was due to boost pressures with my new tune, not airflow. If it were airflow, I would of stuck with your setup.
Airflow in any pressurized system is IMPORTANT! Pressure needs to be contained, but airflow is key.

However, if the design I purchased from you was better, I would of kept it on the car. I mean not for nothing, but for all the R&D you say do, there a lot of V.2 and V.3 from ALTA...just make a final product that is issue free instead of trying to be the first vendor to release a product and you will have customers who aren't constantly frustrated because of malfunctions. Kinda like your finally doing with your ecu tune...
The design isn't faulty. Again, a few people got tubes cut to short. You are likely one of them and that sucks! Would have happily replaced it! The V 2.0 on the R53 Intake is Cosmetic only and freshens the line. The V2.0 R53 pulley is a COMPLETE new way of skinning the cat. We had been copied so many times on the original design we had, it was time to do it again.

WE will always make evolutionary changes to our products. To try to say the first is crap isn't fair though either. To say the first of any company is the best and can't be improved on is short sided. That would be akin to saying the R53 was perfect, why did MINI make the R56? Why does Boeing make a new plane? They are still planes and cars, but they are evolutionarily better!

If its less expensive to make a hard kit, why don't you? I don't get the relevance that has to this thread?

Anyways, PoktRokt, I hope you can understand my view on this..as I know many people are different, and if you do, then great!
I think it is important to note that manufacturing of some items is more expensive than others and should be seen in most cases as an advantage. Our part is VERY reasonably priced and yet features higher mfr. costs.

THANK YOU for the clarification. I do still appreciate your opinion as it appears you do mine.

Old 05-01-2009 | 03:38 PM
dtsoccer6
|
5th Gear
I know we spoke about a minor issue with a phone call lost in the system (which is an issue no doubt! As I mention to anyone who asks, PM ME your TEL# any day of the week and YOU WILL get a call back, either from me, or from my staff. Never hurts to poke at me.) the other issue with the wrong hardware on a set of endlinks. Again, sucks but we did get it addressed that day. I don't really see how that is us slipping as of late?

As I said above. If installed properly, and not cut short (not making excuses) the part will withstand HEAVY track and street use. My argument is still the same against a hardpipe like the NM. You have two additional potential failure points (two extra clamps), changes in transitional airflow from turbo, to coupler, to hard pipe, back to coupler, coupler to FMIC. VS> any silicone version that has one smooth transition from the turbo to FMIC.

WOW! "silicone is not made to replace factory pipes on high boost car, imo." Well thank god that is your opinion. You would have thousands of Subaru, Mitsubishi, VW, Audi, customers of ours and other popular silicone manufacturers that would BEG to differ with that opinion!

While the boost tubes DO make HP gains on any setup, I agree the only dyno plot currently shown online is of a car with the other popular options. I will make an effort to get another dyno plot up in short order! Point well taken.

Airflow in any pressurized system is IMPORTANT! Pressure needs to be contained, but airflow is key.

The design isn't faulty. Again, a few people got tubes cut to short. You are likely one of them and that sucks! Would have happily replaced it! The V 2.0 on the R53 Intake is Cosmetic only and freshens the line. The V2.0 R53 pulley is a COMPLETE new way of skinning the cat. We had been copied so many times on the original design we had, it was time to do it again.

WE will always make evolutionary changes to our products. To try to say the first is crap isn't fair though either. To say the first of any company is the best and can't be improved on is short sided. That would be akin to saying the R53 was perfect, why did MINI make the R56? Why does Boeing make a new plane? They are still planes and cars, but they are evolutionarily better!

I think it is important to note that manufacturing of some items is more expensive than others and should be seen in most cases as an advantage. Our part is VERY reasonably priced and yet features higher mfr. costs.

THANK YOU for the clarification. I do still appreciate your opinion as it appears you do mine.
Well on this point, ALTA again, today, sent me the wrong parts and now I am still waiting to hear from Chris who said he would call me back after speaking with someone. Same thing happened last week and I had to wait a week and I had to have someone who I bought the endlinks through, NAMotorsports, call you guys to get the ball rolling...I will be going on my third week without these parts...

Those extra clamps are T-Bolt, clamps made to withstand these things. Not the ones you sell with your kit, which are weak and snap easy. Unless you changed that too. Not to say you are wrong, there are more points now, but the clamps I have are sealed shut with a nut, over a flanged end. It would take a lot to bust that off. I'm sure you know what a T-bolt clamp is.

Yes, I understand silicone is great and it has many uses on many cars. Never said it was something I wouldn't use or nobody else uses, but if there is a hard pipe option on a car running higher boost, like there is, I would opt for that. You still didn't answer what happen with the Unichip and people collapsing their inlet and throttle body pipes. Had it been a hard pipe, LIKE ON YOUR TURBO UPGRADE THATS RUNNING MORE BOOST, that wouldn't have happened. Why not use silicone for that if its suitable?

If the HP gains from the tubes made more than 5hp, I'd be shocked! Would be interesting to see though..thanks for wanting to try it...

Never said airflow wasn't important.

Evolutionary changes are fine and I worded that wrong. Of course companies will make new versions of the old, your are right, but I guess what I was getting at is that ALTA makes parts sometimes and it seems all you care about is being the first to do it, whether someone gets a pipe to short or not, you say it sucks. If your putting all this emphasis in talking about the EXPENSE into making a pipe, wouldn't it cost more to have to constantly replace them for free? If all the RnD expense is not being put to good use by making perfect pipes every time, whats the point? Something doesn't add up here...

Of course YOU will try and make it better, you are always a stand up guy in that department, no doubt Adam, but now I have to deal with your customer service department and in my case on more than one occasion for one part. THAT SUCKS! Now I'm without a part and no one else in your camp seems to care too much by not calling me back. How long does it take to ask a question and call me back? Why should I buy from you again if you are going to continue to have faulty parts and poor customer service? You see what I'm saying...

I agree with you that yes I'm frustrated and this whole endlink thing is really obnoxious. Can you blame me? I really have nothing against you Adam, you are a great guy and know your stuff. If I were you, I would find some new people in that customer service department...too many things get lost in translation. Again, not very cost effective...

Old 05-01-2009 | 03:54 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Well on this point, ALTA again, today, sent me the wrong parts and now I am still waiting to hear from Chris who said he would call me back after speaking with someone. Same thing happened last week and I had to wait a week and I had to have someone who I bought the endlinks through, NAMotorsports, call you guys to get the ball rolling...I will be going on my third week without these parts...
Chris should be speaking to you now. Rough day for little Chris chasing some things. Delay isn't acceptable.

Those extra clamps are T-Bolt, clamps made to withstand these things. Not the ones you sell with your kit, which are weak and snap easy. Unless you changed that too. Not to say you are wrong, there are more points now, but the clamps I have are sealed shut with a nut, over a flanged end. It would take a lot to bust that off. I'm sure you know what a T-bolt clamp is.
We use T-bolt clamps in some situations. So yes I am familiar. Looking to see if they can fit smoothly with this kit. The T/B would be a nightmare! But again I don't think your current part will fail, nor would your ALTA part (short of being to short). you STILL have silicone on your "hard pipe" if that was the sole reason for changing, then you need to look at something different than the NM as the hardpipe is only as strong as the weak link. (I don't think the silicone is weak, but you expressed that YOU felt it was weak. Now you have silicone and metal. I don't see the purpose.

endlinks through, NAMotorsports, call you guys to get the ball rolling...I will be going on my third week without these parts...[/QUOTE]

Chris should be speaking to you now. Rough day for little Chris chasing some things. Delay isn't acceptable.

Yes, I understand silicone is great and it has many uses on many cars. Never said it was something I wouldn't use or nobody else uses, but if there is a hard pipe option on a car running higher boost, like there is, I would opt for that. You still didn't answer what happen with the Unichip and people collapsing their inlet and throttle body pipes. Had it been a hard pipe, LIKE ON YOUR TURBO UPGRADE THATS RUNNING MORE BOOST, that wouldn't have happened. Why not use silicone for that if its suitable?
Turbo kit still uses silicone hot side with a metal adapter to silicone. Inlet tube is shown currently with a metal inlet. Silicone would be fine there too.

Lets not bring up the nightmare UniChip harnesses. The inlets that collapsed were corrected. Not cropped up since.

If the HP gains from the tubes made more than 5hp, I'd be shocked! Would be interesting to see though..thanks for wanting to try it...

Never said airflow wasn't important.

Evolutionary changes are fine and I worded that wrong. Of course companies will make new versions of the old, your are right, but I guess what I was getting at is that ALTA makes parts sometimes and it seems all you care about is being the first to do it, whether someone gets a pipe to short or not, you say it sucks. If your putting all this emphasis in talking about the EXPENSE into making a pipe, wouldn't it cost more to have to constantly replace them for free? If all the RnD expense is not being put to good use by making perfect pipes every time, whats the point? Something doesn't add up here...

Of course YOU will try and make it better, you are always a stand up guy in that department, no doubt Adam, but now I have to deal with your customer service department and in my case on more than one occasion for one part. THAT SUCKS! Now I'm without a part and no one else in your camp seems to care too much by not calling me back. How long does it take to ask a question and call me back? Why should I buy from you again if you are going to continue to have faulty parts and poor customer service? You see what I'm saying...

I agree with you that yes I'm frustrated and this whole endlink thing is really obnoxious. Can you blame me? I really have nothing against you Adam, you are a great guy and know your stuff. If I were you, I would find some new people in that customer service department...too many things get lost in translation. Again, not very cost effective...
Hey anytime something goes a miss from shipping, to packaging, to a missed phone call etc. it SUCKS A%%. No argument! We can only grow from the experience and refine the system. I can't apologize enough for any errors on your situation.

CHRIS DOES CARE ABOUT YOU AS DO I (feel the hug ) SERIOUSLY!

Have a GOOD weekend!

Old 05-01-2009 | 03:55 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
I am in no way trying to stick up for Alta. But (here it comes) I actually have had good experiences with Christina, Chris, jeff, Adam. They have always called me back and did a good job of trying to help me. I am sorry to hear of your experience. And as someone who works for a parts supplier (Moss Motors) I know about problems. I just hate to see people who I have dealt with and have been good to me bashed.

But I am not wanting to start a fight with you. And if your story is true, which I am sure it is, at this point they should overnight you the correct part and get you handled.

Old 05-02-2009 | 06:19 AM
dtsoccer6
|
5th Gear
I have had good experiences also, like I said I am not trying to bash them as people, they are great people! I just feel on the business end they tend to screw things up, which in my case is the problem.

Adam, Chris, and Christina are the only people I have dealt with and they all are great people, no lie there. Frustrations can sometimes get the best of the consumer and I do apologize for this, but this should not excuse them for sending me the wrong parts twice over a three week period. I agree it should be handled in a timely manner.

Hopefully this can be resolved by Monday.

Old 05-02-2009 | 12:34 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
I have had good experiences also, like I said I am not trying to bash them as people, they are great people! I just feel on the business end they tend to screw things up, which in my case is the problem.

Adam, Chris, and Christina are the only people I have dealt with and they all are great people, no lie there. Frustrations can sometimes get the best of the consumer and I do apologize for this, but this should not excuse them for sending me the wrong parts twice over a three week period. I agree it should be handled in a timely manner.

Hopefully this can be resolved by Monday.
I think that is fair. While all honest mistakes, they are still mistakes and the enduser ends up getting the brunt. As I said before that sucks!

I got your PM, as did Chris. Monday we will get this 110% resolved. Stupid hardware

Chat soon and have a GREAT weekend!

Old 05-02-2009 | 05:26 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I went through the unichip harness fiasco too.. All through it Alta was very helpful. They didn't manufacture the failing part but they sold it and worked hard to resolve it.

I do question the safety of running 20lbs of boost now but that is not for this thread.

I'm happy enough with Alta that I just ordered front swaybar endlinks from them about 15 minutes ago.

( now go rush that order Adam! )

Old 05-03-2009 | 05:18 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I went through the unichip harness fiasco too.. All through it Alta was very helpful. They didn't manufacture the failing part but they sold it and worked hard to resolve it.

I do question the safety of running 20lbs of boost now but that is not for this thread.

I'm happy enough with Alta that I just ordered front swaybar endlinks from them about 15 minutes ago.

( now go rush that order Adam! )
Hey thanks for the compliments and the order! Shoot me the order # and I will be sure to give it some extra luv! Chat soon!

Old 05-04-2009 | 09:26 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
I like to commend dts on his willingness to try new things and share his experiences. He, at least, has tried both hard and silicone tubes before he commented on the products.

Old 05-04-2009 | 09:53 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
and I will be sure to give it some extra luv!
coming from the US navy submarine background that I do - That brings some sick thoughts to mind!

now back to our hard pipe discussion.

dang I did it again...

Old 05-05-2009 | 07:08 AM
dtsoccer6
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
I like to commend dts on his willingness to try new things and share his experiences. He, at least, has tried both hard and silicone tubes before he commented on the products.
Thank you Slinger, appreciated!

coming from the US navy submarine background that I do - That brings some sick thoughts to mind!

dang I did it again...

Hey thanks for the compliments and the order! Shoot me the order # and I will be sure to give it some extra luv! Chat soon!
Yesterday, Adam got on the phone with me and sorted out the endlink issue. I thought I was sent the wrong bottom rod ends and did not realize that they were reverse thread, thus the reason why I was thinking they had sent me the wrong parts twice. I did not know, nor did anyone tell me until yesetrday they were reverse thread, but with that aside, the endlinks are now completed. Adam made sure both parties were satisfied and left it on a good note.

Again, there is no excuse for the tardiness of the service, but Adam did his best to clean it up and make sure it was resolved and that I was happy . I applaud him and his efforts!

Back to the OP...with more and more time on this setup, I really have to say the hardpipe design does feel like it puts more trq to the ground and quicker...I had a JCW guy drive in my MINI again the other day who has silicone tubes, but didn't tell him I changed pipes from silicone to hard pipe. He said my car felt much more powerful up to 5k across 1st to 4th and wondered why his didn't feel that way After explaining the situation, he was quite impressed...It may seem crazy that one pipe can make a difference, but changing the two from ALTA when I got the car made a difference too. As long as you have other parts working together, espeically ones that help move air quicker and without restriction, you will feel a difference.

Yes, there is silicone for the bends, but with T-bolt clamps and flared edges, IMO, this pipe setup is hard to beat...

Old 05-05-2009 | 07:21 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
Did you recieve your ED cold pipe yet?

Old 05-05-2009 | 07:31 AM
dtsoccer6
|
5th Gear
Not yet, I don't think he started it yet...I'll have to call today.

Last edited by dtsoccer6; 05-05-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-05-2009 | 10:44 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor

dang I did it again...
HAHAHAHAHHAHA! too funny!

Old 05-05-2009 | 10:46 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
dtsoccer6: Thanks for taking the time to speak to me yesterday! Glad we got to the resolution that worked. Sorry you had the right parts for that long and we didn't have a meeting of the minds sooner. Regardless, glad it is done and for now we are all happy! Let me know if I can ever help in the future!

Thanks NAM!

Old 07-03-2012 | 06:52 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
My .02 On This Subject

I have to weigh in on this subject for the masses. I too am replacing my last ALTA boost hose with the NM Engineering turbo hot side discharge setup. This post is based on actual experience and documented with photographic evidence to back my findings. See the following link for more pictures and video:
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ube%20Failure/

In short, the ALTA boost inlet tube failed due to the hose breaking down and collapsing under heavy inlet demand.

Video of this is available at the link above. I know, the ALTA replacement is suppose to flow better but the reality of it is that you're maximum flow is still limited by the small opening at the turbo inlet fitting so the factory pipe is back and and working great.

The ALTA turbo discharge hot side tube is being replaced due to excessive wear by contact in the radiator area.

The ALTA turbo cold side discharge tube was removed and the stock piece put back in due to contact and extreme wear with both the engine and the firewall.

Let's not forget the fact that the ALTA hot side turbo discharge tube was too short for a proper installation.

IMHO, spending more time on research and development, instead of marketing would have yielded much higher dividends down the road.

Again, this post is based on my personal experience that's backed by the provided data and photos.

Have a great motoring day!!!

Last edited by scottab36; 07-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2013 | 09:47 PM
Panther MINI
2nd Gear
Using pictures to prove what you're saying . I found this thread (and the dozens of other similar threads) to be very helpful with finding out what works and doesnt...

Old 08-12-2013 | 10:40 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
I also just found this thread while doing some research and the rest of the thread aside, that last post really did it for me.

I don't see myself dropping money on parts like that. "more flow, better, smoother bigger" at the expense of a silicone part rubbing against everything in it's vicinity is not something I can see myself accepting.

The parts these tubes connect to are mounted firmly in place and do not twist, adjust, flex, or move to ever cause the tubes to attach in any different angle other than the correct way. And getting that amount of wear, to me, is unacceptable. I see myself piecing together all my own hard charge piping if I ever upgrade.

Old 12-07-2013 | 07:45 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
PoktRokt - You are not off base, I have nothing against you or your opinions, you are entitled like us all. I am sharing mine with you and why I feel its wrong for Adam to do this. I agree placebo effects and butt dynos are decieving. However, NM Eng has no spokesman on NAM nor did I buy this pipe because everyone else was. No one told me too, I saw it and thought about it, did my research and decided its the better option. ALTA on the other hand, constantly is on here telling you they offer the best products ever. Everyone jumps on because of them saying so. Now, thats a much bigger placebo effect, imo, having ALTA always say our products do this and that and you will see gains, etc. Now ask ALTA customers, and you will get mixed results. Just because Adam comes in and defends his product in a nice way doesn't mean its right. I was explaining my experience with a product that has nothing to do with him or ALTA. He can voice his opinion if he wants, but he likes to make people believe his products are better so you buy ALTA, which with my experience with ALTA started great, but over time has deteriorated. Here's a few things - ALTA makes decent products with poor customer service. Both parts I bought from NM, I had a great product with great customer service. He may PM you and try and help, but somewhere between the lines, your issue is lost and you are stuck waiting. This has happened to me on a couple of occasions and many times to others in the forum. I'm sick of dealing with it, its just time consuming and aggravating. Lets see if he replies and offers a replacement IC tube that has mesh in it like he said he did for other customers. Ask him why he started putting mesh in the tubes to begin with. The Unichip was spiking at 21psi and boost tubes were failing left and right. Did you know that? I'm going to be getting the RMW tune. This tune runs higher boost, more consistently throughout the rpm band. I don't want a silicone hose with a cheap clamp to come flying off the turbo during one of my track days during WOT. I want security, safety, and the best possible setup for these reasons and like I said, the Hard Pipes are the way to go in my case. If you are running a stock setup and just do it for looks and what not, okay, go with his setup, forge, or m7. However, your stock pipes are perfectly fine for normal/spirited driving, no need to buy ALTA's pipes. Don't let the marketing machine fool you into thinking a person looking to get performance needs silicone pipes. They help like I said, but everyday driving, not needed and I ran these pipes for a year so I do have a pretty good idea. Again, your decision is yours to make, just make educated ones. I didn't in the beginning and wasted a lot of money. I'm way more conscious now. END RANT
I was very dissatisfied with my ALTA intake. It didn't add any power, didn't fit the car right, was impossible to get everything to line up, and made the worst vacuum cleaner sucking noise ever. I've had plenty of experience with other cars and intakes, but this system didn't do anything but cost me 45 dollars in shipping. I was so angry. I ended up getting punished because their part didn't fit right and wasn't what they advertised. What a ripoff.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 12-08-2013 | 04:13 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Pay to ship it to you, advertised as fitting your car, fits like crap and from what I heard, even on cars it's made for pulls things to the point of tearing the factory intake tubes on their intakes, AND then pay to ship it back to them because THEY couldn't do enough R&D to put out a quality part? (especially at all the nuts pricing on something as basic as an intake). The more I read on here, the less I see myself ever giving Alta my money.

Old 12-08-2013 | 07:09 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
Pay to ship it to you, advertised as fitting your car, fits like crap and from what I heard, even on cars it's made for pulls things to the point of tearing the factory intake tubes on their intakes, AND then pay to ship it back to them because THEY couldn't do enough R&D to put out a quality part? (especially at all the nuts pricing on something as basic as an intake). The more I read on here, the less I see myself ever giving Alta my money.
I know, it's ridiculous. They seriously are lacking on the customer support end. They had even tried saying they "don't do refunds" and I told then it wasn't my fault they sent a POS intake that didn't fit my car. I was expecting a return shipping label to be issued by them, and a FULL refund including initial shipping charges. Of course, they don't do what should've been done. Pretty lame in my opinion.

Old 12-09-2013 | 03:11 PM
ALTA_Christina
Neutral
Originally Posted by ChiliRedR56raleigh
I know, it's ridiculous. They seriously are lacking on the customer support end. They had even tried saying they "don't do refunds" and I told then it wasn't my fault they sent a POS intake that didn't fit my car. I was expecting a return shipping label to be issued by them, and a FULL refund including initial shipping charges. Of course, they don't do what should've been done. Pretty lame in my opinion.

Hi Fields!

Jeff and I were the folks helping you from the get-go. I was even the one you chatted with before you submitted your order, if you remember! I recall you being apprehensive about the purchase to begin with.

The biggest complaint from you was that you didn't enjoy the sound of the product. We didn't really argue with your complaints as we sell a lot of these intakes and have no problems - the sound of the intake is not something we can change for you. As you claimed to have minor fitment issues, we decided to accommodate you and take the intake back, no questions asked. The part was in perfect manufacturing condition upon its return.

When our clients don't feel they should pay shipping on a return, in a lot of cases we will send a shipping label so that it's on our dime. During our conversations, there was no mention of you wanting the shipping refunded or covered. Most customers that are returning an item because they don't like it will cover the shipping back to us as it is a stock return. In this case, had you asked, I would have been more than happy to include a call tag to cover the shipping cost of the return; Original shipping is never refundable.

We went through with this return and didn't argue with you because we understand that we can't satisfy all customers. It's better customer service, in my opinion, to go a little out of our way to bend the rules on returns, in hopes that we will be able to keep you as a future customer.

I'm sorry if we didn't offer the call tag for the item as this may have eliminated your frustrations with ALTA Performance.

Please PM me or email me directly at christina.silva@ALTAperformance.com with any additional questions or concerns. I look forward to our future correspondence and hopefully a chance to win your customer satisfaction!

Old 12-09-2013 | 06:59 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Christina
Hi Fields! Jeff and I were the folks helping you from the get-go. I was even the one you chatted with before you submitted your order, if you remember! I recall you being apprehensive about the purchase to begin with. The biggest complaint from you was that you didn't enjoy the sound of the product. We didn't really argue with your complaints as we sell a lot of these intakes and have no problems - the sound of the intake is not something we can change for you. As you claimed to have minor fitment issues, we decided to accommodate you and take the intake back, no questions asked. The part was in perfect manufacturing condition upon its return. When our clients don't feel they should pay shipping on a return, in a lot of cases we will send a shipping label so that it's on our dime. During our conversations, there was no mention of you wanting the shipping refunded or covered. Most customers that are returning an item because they don't like it will cover the shipping back to us as it is a stock return. In this case, had you asked, I would have been more than happy to include a call tag to cover the shipping cost of the return; Original shipping is never refundable. We went through with this return and didn't argue with you because we understand that we can't satisfy all customers. It's better customer service, in my opinion, to go a little out of our way to bend the rules on returns, in hopes that we will be able to keep you as a future customer. I'm sorry if we didn't offer the call tag for the item as this may have eliminated your frustrations with ALTA Performance. Please PM me or email me directly at christina.silva@ALTAperformance.com with any additional questions or concerns. I look forward to our future correspondence and hopefully a chance to win your customer satisfaction!
My biggest complaint with the intake was the fitment. I chatted with the tech support the day it arrived and said I was having fitment issues. Yes I returned the part in perfect condition. I was instructed by you to pay for shipping and insurance on the return. I thought you were going to refund both charges once the processing was done that you spoke of. I don't appreciate the fact that here on a forum, you direct a concern that I had emailed you about, and never got a reply for. The fitment issues are what I sent the part back for. You didn't have to "accommodate" anything. I was sent a part that didn't install as stated, and it didn't produce any gains as claimed. I am not the only person on this forum that has said the same thing. I was expecting a full refund of the original shipping and return shipping. It was never mentioned that I was getting a less than full refund. I sent your company another email yesterday, again stating that I shouldn't be punished financially for a part that didn't fit correctly. I would appreciate you issuing my credit card a refund for the shipping charges I incurred. I am not asking you to do anything above and beyond what any other customer would expect, when a part they ordered doesn't fit correctly, and doesn't make any difference in performance. It is very upsetting that over 45 bucks, you would tarnish your companies reputation in the eyes of many. I would've preferred for you to handle this in a professional manner and reply to the email I sent, but since that wasn't done, I guess this is the only way to respond to you. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Last edited by ChiliRedR56raleigh; 12-09-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2013 | 08:51 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
The best part is, they will publicly defend themselves in a forum thread here when you make the claims you do. But the guy above who posted pictures and videos of the Alta parts failing, rubbing on everything around them and not fitting right gets completely ignored. Good PR. Defend yourself against the guy wanting some monetary refund, but the guy who posted major flaws in your products, who doesn't seem to be asking for a refund gets ignored completely because a done sale is as far as it needs to go. He's not asking for money back, so why say anything? I would bet because they have nothing to say. His post is pretty cut and dry on the issues. Nothing short of smoke, mirrors, and talking themselves in a circle like a politician could make someone with some sense want the products after that post alone.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain NM Engineering Discharge Pipe