Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta Downpipe Installation scheduled/review

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009 | 03:05 PM
jcap287
|
School away from MINI
Alta Downpipe Installation scheduled/review

I dropped my car off today to finally get the Alta DP installed that I bought back in January. The installation is taking place tomorrow. I'm also picking up the car tomorrow after work. I'll have a 30 minute drive back home after I pick up the car, so I'll write up a review afterwards.

Old 06-09-2009 | 05:50 AM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jcap287
I dropped my car off today to finally get the Alta DP installed that I bought back in January. The installation is taking place tomorrow. I'm also picking up the car tomorrow after work. I'll have a 30 minute drive back home after I pick up the car, so I'll write up a review afterwards.
Just curious, what are you paying to get it installed? I have to get mine uninstalled because of the P0420 and P0141 codes. I'm trying to decide whether to have someone do the labor for me or do it myself (or have the dealership install a JCW exhaust),

Good luck with your DP install. Hope it goes well,
Jeff

Old 06-09-2009 | 06:16 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Pray for no CELs.

Hope all goes well!

Old 06-09-2009 | 08:25 AM
jcap287
|
School away from MINI
I got quoted between 150-300something depending on the heat shield bolts...I don't know if I'll be able to pickup today or not now. I did my morning to do list for work, I have to go out again at 2:30 to look at some business related stuff for my job. I don't how long it will take. The car may have to wait until tomorrow to get picked up since the autoshop closes at 6. I don't know if I'll make it in time.

I hope the install goes well haha. I'm getting it done at L&N autoshop in Robinson, Pa area. It's real close to Pittsburgh.

Old 06-09-2009 | 09:01 AM
jcap287
|
School away from MINI
In the event that there would be a CEL. Would I experience power loss or just the light?

Old 06-09-2009 | 09:02 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
In the event that there would be a CEL. Would I experience power loss or just the light?
An ANNOYING LIGHT!

No power issues...

Old 06-09-2009 | 09:36 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
I don't see why someone would uninstall it just because they are getting CELs unless they are trying to get another brand that won't trip the light. It's just an annoying light like Dtsoccer said! Mine is on as we speak!

Old 06-09-2009 | 10:36 AM
jcap287
|
School away from MINI
So, I have the car...No CEL yet (knock on wood)...Only drove about 30 miles though...It is loud, but nice and deep roar, like a strapped a ticked off tiger on to it with a mega phone (think suby sti style roar). I can't really tell if it's quicker or not. It feels smoother. I'll have to drive it around later after my work thing at 230.

Edit: Jeff - I paid 181 with some change.

Last edited by jcap287; 06-09-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2009 | 04:04 PM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
I had my Alta turboback exhaust installed for 14 months before I started to get the P0420 code (cat efficiency too low). Alta suggested installing an O2 sensor extension to prevent the code. It worked, but now I get the P0141 code (o2 sensor heater malfunction). Alta has no fix for that code. I would expect anyone with this exhaust will get these codes at some point.

BTW, my CEL showed up after 14 months and <4000 miles of city and highway driving. After 6 30-minutes stints on our local raceways (3 one day and 3 another day) the CEL started coming on. The cat is apparently toast, and it's not a cat that can be easily replaced since it's in the turbo downpipe.

Although I agree that there is no performance decrease due to the P0420 code, other codes that can arise can certainly cause performance issues such as increased time in open loop mode, running rich, and decreased ignition timing. Since my MCS is used primarily for track use, I am not willing to drive it with the CEL active since you don't really know if any other code has tripped. I work in the automotive diagnostic industry and understand the implications of the CEL and the codes causing the CEL. At least I kept the stock exhaust and have other vehicles to drive while my MCS is in this condition. I'm reluctant to have the local MINI dealership install the JCW exhaust because, from what I gather, a reflash (ECU tune) is required and a byproduct of that is that the maximum boost pressure is reduced.

Anyway, I think the OP will really enjoy the additional power and responsiveness the turboback provides. I love being able to hear the exhaust, yet not have an obnoxious coffee-can sound even when the engine is producing power. I also have the Alta intake and turbo inlet tube, and I can only imagine what one of these engines can produce with the full gamut of Alta performance parts installed.

Cheers,
Jeff

Old 06-09-2009 | 05:27 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
The CEL is inevitable with the Alta DP. For some it appears within weeks or months, for others it takes a year or more. The o2 sensors are just too sensitive and the catalyst Alta uses isn't effective enough to stay within the parameters that keep the ECU happy.

When I'd have that P0420 CEL light my MPG according to the computer would drop drastically... like 25%. I don't know if thats just a pre-programmed reaction or if the engine truly was running less efficiently to somehow compensate for the problem it sees. It felt like the car wasn't running at 100% when the light was on (I'm honestly not sure about it. could have all been in my head) but I kept clearing the code and eventually took off the pipe.

I installed it myself but paid a local mechanic $180 (2 hours x $90) to remove it since it was a real pain.

I'm not trying to paint a picture of doom and gloom though. I just wasn't patient enough to wait for a proper solution to the CEL's. The guys at Mini Madness told me with their Evotech ECU tune they could disable the P0420 error code. Riss Racing is working on an o2 sensor de-sensitizer to keep the ECU from tripping. Maybe Alta is working on something as well since they keep selling the DP.

Old 06-10-2009 | 04:55 PM
jcap287
|
School away from MINI
I have alittle over a 100 miles on it now. I honestly can't tell if it's quicker or not haha. I love the sound though. I guess it does pull harder up top than down low. I can't wait for the ECU device to be released by RMW and/or Alta.

Old 06-11-2009 | 03:20 PM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
I had error codes, all mentioned above and then I got another code that was a weird O2 sensor issue. I got the O2 sensor replaced at MINI under warranty (Im surprised they didnt say I had aftermarket exhaust on it), and it hasnt tripped since....but its only been 5 days. It came on before that last time when I had first installed the turboback on my S. Lets hope for the best.

Old 06-11-2009 | 05:20 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
I have alittle over a 100 miles on it now. I honestly can't tell if it's quicker or not haha. I love the sound though. I guess it does pull harder up top than down low. I can't wait for the ECU device to be released by RMW and/or Alta.
My theory is the open air intake and high flow exhaust together robs some of the power. The ECU isn't properly handling the higher airflow capabilities of the parts you put in. The result is the feeling of throttle lag and very lean AFR's. Your MPG numbers will look pretty sweet though and your car sounds the part now

Old 06-26-2009 | 08:51 PM
jcap287
|
School away from MINI
My MPG numbers are at an all time low I haven't been over 23.3 mpg haha. I'm not even driving it hard lol. Anybody have a video with the resonator off on this exhaust?

Old 06-26-2009 | 09:05 PM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Thats strange....

I have the turboback on my mini and I still average 31-32 MPG in the city. Ive had it for about 2 months now and I have the CEL like most everybody, but my MPG is still perfect. Over 400 miles per tank in the city

Old 06-26-2009 | 09:06 PM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
btw. I took the resonator and the muffler off because of a rattle in a thread I started from the v-band on the reasonator to muffler side and the car was pretty loud. Not as completely loud as running a straight pipe exhaust, but it was annoying. lol

Old 06-27-2009 | 07:28 AM
jcap287
|
School away from MINI
I think I read your thread actually haha.... I thinking about taking the resonator off, I wanted a video..If it's ear bleeding loud I don't think I want to do it haha.

Old 06-27-2009 | 07:36 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Definitely wasnt ear bleeding, but it was VERY loud for a daily driver. I dont know how I put up with it on my other cars, but at idle it was fine. As soon as you feather the throttle or anything like that, it was annoying to me. Neighbors could hear me a few blocks away when I was on it

Old 06-27-2009 | 11:19 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FugitiveAI
My theory is the open air intake and high flow exhaust together robs some of the power. The ECU isn't properly handling the higher airflow capabilities of the parts you put in. The result is the feeling of throttle lag and very lean AFR's. Your MPG numbers will look pretty sweet though and your car sounds the part now
You're probably correct, I found that while my car sounded great w/ the full Alta turbo-back, it actually produced much less power on the dyno. Run back to back with another R56, his having a Militek cat-back & mine having the Alta turbo-back, I was down 10-15hp.

When I get my new downpipe from Riss Racing, I'll be following the install w/ an RMW tune a few days later (already scheduled).

Without a doubt, the Alta turbo-back was the biggest waste of money & customer service nightmare I've ever had.

Old 06-27-2009 | 01:56 PM
jcap287
|
School away from MINI
Nitro are you getting the catless downpipe???

Old 06-27-2009 | 04:43 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
I'm going with the catted ceramic coated downpipe, I'm not interested in CEL's or dumping pollutants

Old 06-27-2009 | 08:55 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Oh man, it's apparent that Nitro loves Alta! I've got my catless downpipe coming to me and am desperately awaiting the catback Riss has developed. 2.5" is the way to go for a Mini! The only trouble is finding someone that wants that Alta i've got on my R56 right now :-\

Old 06-28-2009 | 07:52 AM
jcap287
|
School away from MINI
So I switched the foam alta filter back to the 9 in AEM dryflow filter (Alta shroud is still on etc). HOLY CRAP! Reg mode felt sluggish and held back with the Foam Filter..Now it feels like Sport mode...Sport mode feels insane now! I can't really describe it! The car was sputtering(i guess that's what you would call it haha) at idle sometimes up until the switch now it's nice and steady! (I'm not knocking on Adam or his product in anyway! Just giving a review on how my car felt!)

Old 08-15-2009 | 05:21 PM
djthomp
1st Gear
Okay so who says it's just annoying? Alta? Adam? Those yahoos do not know what they are doing. If they did they would not have CEL on with their products. My Mini runs better, get better MPG when the CEl is reset, period. Alta does not know what they are doing and should not be selling crap. Overpriced for a poor fit and function. If you put an Oscope on the O2 sensor the fix is easy. How about a refund ALTA?

Old 08-15-2009 | 09:14 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
how about you take a chill pill All high flow cats essentially cause CEL, period. If you want more info, I would be more than happy to give you more information.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Alta Downpipe Installation scheduled/review