Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009 | 10:21 AM
WGallagher
|
Neutral
Intake Question

I am looking to replace the Stock intake on my 2009 Cooper S. I see that there are a few available, so I would like to hear what others have to say (Good or Bad).

I have always liked the Newspeed products (NM Engineering), and see that they have intake system that includes a larger Turbo inlet tube. My other thought is to go with the JCW intake. I see that there is some positive feedback on the JWC intake on other threads, but has anyone tried the NM Engineering Intake

Will

Last edited by WGallagher; 07-12-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: text errors
Old 07-12-2009 | 11:15 AM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
I think most people on here have gone with Alta for there intake. I just installed it about 2 weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Some people will say that a CAI on a turbo car is doing nothing or that all you are doing is sucking in hot air from the engine. The thing about the Alta is that it still uses the factory air tub to pull some cold air from the front of the car. I've read some really good things about the M7 intake as well as the DDM ram air which uses the scoop on the hood to pull air in.

Old 07-12-2009 | 12:13 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Not trying to sell you on Alta even though thats what I have. But there is not much difference in intakes and other parts. Cold air is a relative term when it comes to intakes. If it were a true cold air intake it would not be in the engine bay cause it will not pick up any cooler air from inside the engine bay. But getting an intake will increase the amount of air going in and the velocity it is going in. SO if you like the look of the NM one go for it

Old 07-12-2009 | 01:16 PM
eg0911
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
But getting an intake will increase the amount of air going in and the velocity it is going in.

The intake does NOT! force more air into the motor. All of these intakes flow the same amount of air.

Back to the thread....i have the alta intake and am very unhappy with it. After 8 months the welds broke and trying to get alta to fix it was no less than a nightmare so i fixed it on my own.

Old 07-12-2009 | 03:21 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Yes your right the fact that there is less restriction does not help raise the amount and speed the air goes in. HMMM

Old 07-12-2009 | 09:55 PM
ybnrml
Neutral
Does anyone know if there any CAI's that are CARB certified yet? I have had my 08 Mini since March and love it and now looking to start making some improvements. I do not look forward of putting the stock filter back in for IM testing in the middle of winter.

Old 07-12-2009 | 10:15 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
only the JCW intake is going to be CARB friendly, it's available by itself relatively cheaply from your Mini parts department (if you ask nicely). make sure to order both the airbox lid and gasket.
JCW airbox
part# 13720429380
JCW airbox gasket
part# 13530433064

I think most people who bought the Alta unit did so because it's the cheapest on the market and it makes lots of noise. That some people have had quality issues and that the oily foam filter fouls out expensive MAF sensors, that's for you to weigh out. You get what you pay for.

According to Jan, the only guy actively dyno tuning R56's in the US, the CAI's don't really add/make any significant power. I still bought the JCW intake just because I can't leave good enough alone

Old 07-12-2009 | 10:20 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Yes your right the fact that there is less restriction does not help raise the amount and speed the air goes in. HMMM
I think what he's getting at is that the intake really isn't the bottle neck it was made out to be. This is probably why the Stage 2/Factory JCW cars were fitted with the regular MCS airbox & not the snazzy Stage 1 JCW airbox...

From what I understand, the R56 Challenge cars still use a MCS style air filter, just with the bit larger Stage 1 JCW lid (probably modified inside a little).

I'd like to see some part#'s & pictures for the challenge cars, but I don't think Mini's making those all too public.

Old 07-12-2009 | 10:22 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by n1tr0
only the JCW intake is going to be CARB friendly, it's available by itself relatively cheaply from your Mini parts department (if you ask nicely). make sure to order both the airbox lid and gasket.
JCW airbox
part# 13720429380
JCW airbox gasket
part# 13530433064

I think most people who bought the Alta unit did so because it's the cheapest on the market and it makes lots of noise. That some people have had quality issues and that the oily foam filter fouls out expensive MAF sensors, that's for you to weigh out. You get what you pay for.

According to Jan, the only guy actively dyno tuning R56's in the US, the CAI's don't really add/make any significant power. I still bought the JCW intake just because I can't leave good enough alone
are these part numbers for the JCW stock intake or the stage 1 intake? I thought someone said there is no difference between a JCW intake and R56? I picked up a used DDM intake, it fits well, not sure I gained anything other than noise and more hot air. But so far the wife does not like sound it makes.

Old 07-12-2009 | 10:36 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
those are the stage 1 JCW intake parts, the airbox (which includes a the filter) and the gasket for sealing it to the stock bottom section.
I know Morristown charges approx. $45 for additional/replacement JCW air filters, which is a bit spendy for a paper element, but it's not bad for a 'performance' filter that won't mess up the MAF and won't void your warranty...

Old 07-13-2009 | 12:32 PM
tacostrk
2nd Gear
JCW airbox
part# 13720429380
JCW airbox gasket
part# 13530433064
Why didn't you post this in my other thread!!!!!!!!!https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ke-system.html

Oh well got it ordered now

Old 07-13-2009 | 07:10 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
The aftermarket intakes will make more noise than power.

If you are into the noise, then it is worth it. Just don't use a foam/oil filter or you'll run into problems.

The stock intake is a TRUE cold air intake where as 95% of the aftermarket ones are not.

Old 07-13-2009 | 07:53 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
No not a true cold air intake. It sill runs into heat soak. If it were a true one it would be located out side engine bay such as in the fender. Problem is there is no room. Yes the stock has more reduction in heat then aftermarket but the filter counter acts what heat is reduced. You can always in large the grill in the hood soop

Old 07-13-2009 | 08:44 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tacostrk
Why didn't you post this in my other thread!!!!!!!!!https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ke-system.html

Oh well got it ordered now
Hey, took me a bit to find & get a dealer that'd order it up for me
added the info to your orginal thread now as well.
not quite as great a deal as the original package/price of the outmotoring.com listing, but it's still cheaper or on par w/ most of the aftermarket offerings.

Old 07-14-2009 | 08:56 AM
WGallagher
|
Neutral
I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Based on the comments, I seems that the only significant gain reported is in the Intake noise. I was hoping that by unrestricting the intake, my low end execration might be better. I am leaning towards the JCW intake as I feel it will integrate the existing intake duct and look factory which will eliminate the need to reinstall the stock intake for my state inspection.

It is disappointing to hear that Alta is slow to respond to its customers . I will say that if I do go after market, it will be with the Newspeed (NM) product. Their product have always work well and have been the highest quality.

Thanks again for the feedback

Will

Old 07-14-2009 | 05:10 PM
ybnrml
Neutral
After all the responses I ordered the JCW intake this afternoon. Since it seems that most of the CAI’s use oil I am going to see if I can find a Amsoil filter that will work according to their literature it is reusable and does not need oil and much cheaper than the JCW (I will have to see).

Old 07-14-2009 | 08:39 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
should be able to verify the Amsoil filter tomorrow, EAAU3570-EA
it's a dry cone filter, same as the R53 guys use in their JCW intakes, seeing as how the Alta & others sell the same filter for R53/R56 I'm Hoping it'll work.

Old 07-15-2009 | 04:00 PM
MiniMedic
2nd Gear
i did an Alta intake last week. it is quite a bit more noise. you can hear the turbo sucking on accel and the blow off (recirc i guess would be the correct term for this car) on decel. i did see the NM intake after i got mine and thought it was neat they include a silicone inlet tube but if you add the price of the inlet tube to Altas intake its about the same money.

Old 07-15-2009 | 07:26 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
a little update, the Amsoil filter technically fits the JCW airbox, but it's heavier & the aftermarket filters don't attach in the same way as the oem filter. I'll probably leave it in the box for now and use the factory filter until I have some time to make a nicer/sturdier horn/tube inside the lid.

Old 07-15-2009 | 08:12 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
N1tro, have you looked at the mini-madness filter?

http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=302

Old 07-15-2009 | 08:46 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
that actually looks exactly the same as the Amsoil filter, except that it's an oiled cotton element instead of a dry synthetic....

trouble is that these type of filters are meant to be clamped onto a hard/fixed (metal) tube end, where the JCW stage 1 airbox has a fairly soft flexible rubber/plastic tube. Plus the oem filter has a support/locking end tab that helps hold it up, I'm not sure how the inner tube will hold up supporting all the weight by itself & if it'll come lose or cause rattles.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx?zo=1345085
the color in their picture is a bit off, it really is almost exactly the same as the Mini Madness one you linked.

Old 07-15-2009 | 09:18 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
that actually looks exactly the same as the Amsoil filter, except that it's an oiled cotton element instead of a dry synthetic....

trouble is that these type of filters are meant to be clamped onto a hard/fixed (metal) tube end, where the JCW stage 1 airbox has a fairly soft flexible rubber/plastic tube. Plus the oem filter has a support/locking end tab that helps hold it up, I'm not sure how the inner tube will hold up supporting all the weight by itself & if it'll come lose or cause rattles.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx?zo=1345085
the color in their picture is a bit off, it really is almost exactly the same as the Mini Madness one you linked.
N1tro,

They look alike for sure. First time I have seen that the Amsoil filter. And I see what you are saying with the fit.

I had the MM filter in the car since September of last year with no problems with it loosening or falling out. And I have been through 12 track days with it w/o having to re-tighten it. There is a mounting tab on the end of the lower cover and the MM filter fits between that tab and the clamp end. It does bounce around a little and I am not sure what that bouncing influences in terms of performance. In the future, I may put a velcro piece on the tab and the filter to secure it better.

Last edited by slinger688; 07-15-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-16-2009 | 09:32 AM
ybnrml
Neutral
I would like to thank everyone for the information they are providing. Every Mini I have seen up here so far is stock. I can’t just go to the nearest Mini dealership to ask questions the closest one is 1400 miles away.

Old 07-16-2009 | 11:07 AM
sunman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ybnrml
Does anyone know if there any CAI's that are CARB certified yet? I have had my 08 Mini since March and love it and now looking to start making some improvements. I do not look forward of putting the stock filter back in for IM testing in the middle of winter.
According to NM-Engineering and Defender's of Speed (DoS), they are working on getting CARB Certifications . I'm in the same boat as you and don't want to get hasseled when I have to smog the car.

Old 07-16-2009 | 11:58 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ybnrml
I would like to thank everyone for the information they are providing. Every Mini I have seen up here so far is stock. I can’t just go to the nearest Mini dealership to ask questions the closest one is 1400 miles away.
Why don't you call Dustin at AutoXcooper (312) 388 4263. He just did a post in the vendor area about a month ago that he will be carrying almost all the Mini parts. Perhaps he can help you. At least he can answer your questions regarding part availability.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Intake Question