Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain MINI Tuners... this'd be cool...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009 | 10:29 PM
dunphyj
|
4th Gear
MINI Tuners... this'd be cool...

so something i'd like to see... an ecu tune out there that will be "stock" when you start up, but run a higher boost and octane map and tune when you hit the sport button... basically, making the sport button ACTUALLY unleash a real beast!

if this kinda tune exists already... where can i get it??? all i'm saying is if subaru can do it, why not us??

Old 08-01-2009 | 07:16 AM
dy_xfactor
2nd Gear
Thats a cool idea. Thats something I'd be interested in.

Old 08-01-2009 | 07:34 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
That would be a cool idea to have some type of switch kick it in. However, for people that leave sport mode on all the time that would suck.

Old 08-01-2009 | 12:41 PM
PRIMINISTAR
2nd Gear
^Why would that suck^

Old 08-01-2009 | 12:49 PM
jproz
3rd Gear
I'm not an expert, but I would speculate that there may be ill-effects to switching entire ECU maps on the fly while driving... which is what in essence you are saying.

But what do I know?!

Old 08-03-2009 | 04:21 AM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jproz
I'm not an expert, but I would speculate that there may be ill-effects to switching entire ECU maps on the fly while driving... which is what in essence you are saying.

But what do I know?!
I do not know for sure if there would be ill effects but I know that suburu tuners can offer it, so can a tuner of VW Golf GTi's here. Why not us?

Old 08-03-2009 | 07:40 AM
dunphyj
|
4th Gear
well not to mention, there is a form of delay so it's not just WABAM! POOOOWWWWEEEERRR!!!! like it seems to be (i could be wrong) but if you're already on throttle and hit the sport button, it does nothing until you fully release throttle and get back on it... after you're back on it the shorter throttle map is engaged and the steering gets heavier... now granted that's not the case when you go OUT of sport mode, that's immediate... but i would ahve to agree with Mutley, if there's a way to safely do it with Subarus, GTIs and evos, there almost has to be a way for it to work for us as well... it should be a matter (simple or not) of adding to the program adapting when the sport button is hit... and i personally find a lot of fun in the concept of hitting a sport button when someone says hey that's a fast mini...(engage sport button, suddenly it's faster feeling cuz of throttle, sportier turning through the turn assist change, and now i'm getting 20-30 more whp and torque at the touch of a button!

now i'm not much of a street drag racer but pulling an Initial D on someone would be great (for those of you who aren't into that... this guy Takumi has a toyota race engine that revvs to 11k... what he does to battle a civic type r that goes to 9 k is he shows only to 9 k in his first run (making his opponent think that he knows what he's getting into) then on the second run he goes to his 11k where he makes power making his opponent underestimate his car's abilities in speed... nothing wrong with underplaying boost and all on a normal basis, then pulling it out with a simple button when you need it) that's basically the concept i'm throwing out there... and if you like your sport button on all the time the glorious part is you just hit it to turn it off and lower boost, gain economy! i mean i have every bolt on except for a tune and a new turbo... i see very nice gains for my car and can happily cruise at 70 mph on the highway and see 43mpg! i'd happily throw away 3 or 4 mpg every once in a while for some fun! (be that a track day or a back road romp) and i'm almost 100% sure that there are others out there that would agree with me on that concept...

Old 08-03-2009 | 10:14 AM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Former Vendor
I like your idea, but the software doesn't allow me to do that. Well at least not yet, if I get an update it may change, but I doubt it will happen.

Old 08-09-2009 | 08:12 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Cool I have this exact feature in my car,

I load any of 3 maps on command:

Old 08-11-2009 | 09:31 PM
dunphyj
|
4th Gear
mmmmmm SI-Drive goodness :P