Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain nm-eng vs other intakes(alta)(m7)and soooo on....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009 | 07:55 PM
Stig One
Banned
I have the way wrap and the m7 heatshield with stock scoop.Why mod something if you dont need to.

Old 09-11-2009 | 10:55 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
i have actually NOT tried any forge products, i got asked in another thread i started about their intercooler, and i've seen their intake... i know MC2 magazine has their intake system on their project clubman... perhaps emailing them would be a good option for you if you're thinking about that... i know K&N has a similar system to forge and DoS... but based on design and all i'd actually (if you were debating between the two) i'd say go for DoS just because it's still a closed system, and has TWO ambient air places to draw from (behind the bulkhead and the stock snorkel) not to mention it's an ever so slightly shorter path with the DoS intake... i sent them an email about whether or not any CELs have come up in their intake tests, because i know a couple intakes that have repositioned the MAF sensor right next to the filter rather than after an elbow sometimes have some crazy code thrown... from what i can tell that may not be the case with newer cars but that was the case with some 07s (like mine). now the one advantage DoS intake has over my DDMWorks Race intake is that the race intake hood ram piece is right over the turbo, and gets relatively warm after heavy driving... the reason i want to see if DoS will be as good if not better than DDMWorks is because both ambient air sources for that intake are away from the turbo or have minimal proximity to it.

also just to reiterate a big thing bout this thread... regardless of the intake, your power gains will be minimal at best... it's more of an eye candy/sound piece... nice thing about forge and K&N pieces is you can just take off the hose that connects the snorkel to the filter piece and youll have the same effect and sounds of an open filter.

i'm actually debating on whether or not to grab M7s heat shield with aerogel or whatever that thing is... or just WMWs turbo wrap and get an exhaust wrap to go with it... either way i go i'll post something on this thread to tell accordingly... and anyone looking into the DDMWorks Race Intake, i'm going to most likely sell mine to aquire a DoS intake for comparison purposes... 420 if you're going to come pick it up, and i'll install it on ur car no cost as well... if anyone buys it off me i honestly would prefer paypal before you come (so that way i can order the DoS and have it at my place probably by the time you come get and i install the race intake... wouldn't take more than half an hour either...). don't get your hopes up too much just yet tho, like i said i may try to get the heat shields first or keep the intake for potential dyno testing (as for the one comment about how to get air into both intakes... i figure two nice big fans on teh front of the car mimicking highway speeds or so, that way it's most like really driving the car
Thanks for all the info! I guess I will look into the DoS intake as it is a closed system and from what you are telling me it sounds better than the DDMWorks in terms of heat after heavy driving. Also, when are you going to be comparing intakes on the dyno, as I am interested in the results.

Old 09-12-2009 | 10:10 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
Thanks for all the info! I guess I will look into the DoS intake as it is a closed system and from what you are telling me it sounds better than the DDMWorks in terms of heat after heavy driving. Also, when are you going to be comparing intakes on the dyno, as I am interested in the results.
Hopefully within a month... It all depends on when helix gets their dyno into the new shop

Old 09-12-2009 | 10:22 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
Originally Posted by x1morethanux
Would there be any benefits in having a dos intake and a wmw wrap with an opened hood scoop?
Very minimal I would guess... It may help some in just keeping underhood temps in check through stop and go traffic but the DoS intake doesn't have any chance of heatsoak... Outside of being placed on the sun that is... But nothing wrong with wrapping ur turbo and exhaust... Keeps heat in the right place, in the exhaust

Old 09-06-2012 | 05:27 PM
moonshine blue mini
1st Gear
Hi, dunphyj
I received and installed the NM tie bar on my 2009 JCW R55 today. I read your blog and liked how you have your setup. I have the same DDMWorks RIS setup as you. The NM bar is making my hood very hard to close and is putting too much pressure on the hood with the hood scoop. I would like to know how you managed to close your hood without having that pressure on your hood? What didn't you like about the GTSpec bar? It seems as though it is the only bar that fits the DDMWorks RIS perfectly. I would very much appreciate any advice you can give me to resolve this issue. Please get back in touch with me as soon as possible to let me know. Or-you can give me a call if you don't mind. I'm near your location so please give me a call. My cell phone number is (973)868-0692. My email address is da2r_m@yahoo.com Thank You.

Old 09-06-2012 | 05:58 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Personally, I am fond of the NM Eng. products.

I am waiting on their oil catch can and a new set of NM Eng. RSe05 wheels to arrive next week

Old 09-09-2012 | 11:49 AM
moonshine blue mini
1st Gear
Hi dunphyj,
i just installed the NM front tie bar on my 2009 R55 JCW. I have the same DDMWorks RIS setup as you. The top of the tie bar is forcing too much pressure on my hood scoop making my hood hard to close. I would greatly appreciate advise on what to do to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Please call me if you don't mind. I'm in your area. My number is (973)868-0692 BTW..what don't you like about the GTSpec bar?

Old 09-10-2012 | 11:22 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
I have an NM, looks cool and makes sweet noise.