Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain nm-eng vs other intakes(alta)(m7)and soooo on....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009 | 04:51 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
nm-eng vs other intakes(alta)(m7)and soooo on....

Is it worth the money to buy an nm-eng. intake?

It seems to me like a great company that spends a lot of time designing and tuning there products. Its a bit pricey but, it does look a lot more nicer than the other intakes. Im sure that it works the way its supposed to considering that they are a branch company from aps.

I was just wondering if anyone has bought there intake set up and loves the noise or notices any performance gains?

Looks like they also use high quality materials to make this intake system.
Looks much more clean and slick then the other intakes.

Old 09-01-2009 | 07:19 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I'm so sick of intake questions

They all do basically the same thing...which is essentially nothing but give you cool noises, and maybe a bit more power up top if you're lucky.

If you want the best performance, keep stock or get a stage 1 JCW intake. If you want turbo noise...take your pick from the multitude of intakes out there.

Old 09-01-2009 | 07:38 PM
jproz
3rd Gear
Additionally, search if your friend. I know I hate it when others say that, but in this case, there are so many threads on EVERY intake available (since there are really only a handful), just check em out.

The one thing I will say is that I'm not a big fan of any sort of open element without protection from the engine heat.

With that... use search. You'll be happy with what you discover, I promise.

Old 09-01-2009 | 07:49 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I'm so sick of intake questions

They all do basically the same thing...which is essentially nothing but give you cool noises, and maybe a bit more power up top if you're lucky.

If you want the best performance, keep stock or get a stage 1 JCW intake. If you want turbo noise...take your pick from the multitude of intakes out there.
Except when they don't and you got intakes sucking in air from the hot engine bay, downgrading performance vs. those that do not.

OP, post a link to this intake you are talking about.

Old 09-01-2009 | 10:23 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
i understand you guys get annoyed but i cant really find an answer for the nm-eng. intake system.

i understand you wont get more power but im sure it does help with throttle response. and cool noise xD

Old 09-02-2009 | 03:51 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
With NM you're paying a higher price since they use a hard turbo inlet tube. There's the punch to your wallet. Other intakes keep using your OEM turbo inlet tube.

If you're going to throw that type of money at a CAI, you might as well buy the DDM race intake system or one of M7's products. Both systems actually use the hood scoop that takes in COLD air.

Old 09-02-2009 | 07:35 AM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
technically it does use cold air because it uses the cold air tube from the factory that leads from the grill to under the intake bringing it cold air.

Old 09-02-2009 | 07:52 AM
etalj
6th Gear
I wonder if the DDM Race Intake System makes power (real power that is)

Old 09-02-2009 | 09:03 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
DDMRace intake makes about 8 whp... not much really considering how many supporting mods i have on my car as well but it's what put my whp from 198-206... this is also the reason i've run multiple intakes, exhausts and intercoolers (for questions just like this) so yeah basically ii can tell you that thumper is extremely and painfully right... doing this mod is for the most part just a sound mod for the factory noise maker or an aftermarket bov.

now it terms of that whole heat soak thing... as long as your on the highway the under bonnet temperatures should be so extremely minor, because the engine bay isn't closed for one there's a gigantic opening in the front called the grill and if you have any opening and are throwing air into it at 55-80 mph. the only time that heat soak would be a problem is in stop and go traffic where the engine is working, turbo is heating and the car is not moving at all... add some eggs and you could have a wonderful breakfast. :P sorry heat shield joke.

now yes there is the stock hose that directs some air to the underside of the filter at speed, and technically speaking there will be a better efficiency for very hard driving because of the hard piping, which means it won't bend or expand under vacuum (at least this is the textbook answer as to why hardpiping is better.... on second thought it doesn't sound right cuz this is the intake, not the boost tubes....) but anyway the basic idea is it will not expand or contract very much because it's hard pipe which means technically a more consistent in air delivery to the turbo. some will argue that soft piping like what alta has and most other intakes can bend and buckle in certain situations. however, in my personal opinion, and it may just be mine, the difference between the hard piping and factory inlet or alta inlet hoses are basically negligable (spelling?).

now i can say that technically speaking, comparing NM to DDMWorks Race intake, that DDM's race intake will make better use of a closed system (it's basically the JCW stage 1 intake with a higher flow filter and two ambient air sources (the hook and the stock hose, one to the top and one to the bottom of the filter) so that would give you more of a potential for more power later on depending on the tune... now it's not as happy sounding as an open filter, but from it being on my car for a while now i can say it does it's job very well. the whole ram air part of the ddmworks intake is basically useless as a real ram effect.... if i remember correctly, and i may not, but i'm pretty sure that Ram air is only effective on N/A engines, just because you can't really force the amount of air in that the turbo would be sucking in and compressing....you can provide more air which is always good, but most likely not more than the turbo can flow. but there's nothing wrong with having more air for the turbo to have access to

if you want a very high flow open air filter go for alta, but a foam filter, while higher flowing, will not be as good at filtering as a K&N filter, but will give you that sucking sound of the turbo and blow of the bov...

M7's stuff is nicely designed, but a bit over expensive in my opinion, great eye candy though.

NM and DDMWorks are two of the better design intakes IMHO

so after that huge rant, it once again comes back to thumper.... they're all nice, they're all money, but until someone finds out how to properly tune everything for them to be put to their best use... they're basically just candy and something to put on the list of "mods i've done"... if you're looking for some sound, i suggest a BOV. power? get an intercooler, catback and a tune or you can do what i'm doing and have every bolt on that makes the car feel the way you want, and wait for someone who can tune it (if Jan ever comes to Philly i'm hopping on that train!)

so throughout this huge rant

Last edited by dunphyj; 09-02-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2009 | 09:07 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
*Applause*

Old 09-02-2009 | 11:17 AM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
i see i seee how much is a ddm intake?

can anyone post the link?

i owuld like to check it out before i choose what intake between ddm and nm-eng

Old 09-02-2009 | 11:26 AM
old81
M6
DDM website, good product that work.

Be aware that the DDM might conflict with your Strut Brace if you have one. Gspec brace works with the DDM.

Old 09-02-2009 | 06:31 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
So basically the strut brace from nm-eng will not be compatible?

I hate how companies make product so once you by something from them you basically have to stick with them -_-

When did it become all about money instead of the community helping to tune our cars for what we love to do and not compete in parts sold.

Old 09-02-2009 | 08:01 PM
old81
M6
As some would tell you, it's all about the biz. :(

If you do your research, you should be ok. I had to trim my DDM Works intake to make it work with my M7 STB. I was ok with it.

If I go with the DDM pressurized, I imagine I will fabricate something to keep my M7 or go with the Gspec.

If you plan and figure out what works you will have money spent well or at least have fun spending your money.

Btw, I'm not sure the NM STB would not work, give them a call and ask, directly if it works with the DDM product.

Old 09-02-2009 | 08:55 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
this thread should be made a sticky just because of dunphyj's post!

said perfectly

Old 09-02-2009 | 10:27 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
DDM website, good product that work.

Be aware that the DDM might conflict with your Strut Brace if you have one. Gspec brace works with the DDM.
actually i've had both GTSpec and NM's bar.... if you go on GTSpec's site the bar they have witht he DDNWorks is mine.... here some pics of both bars with ddm race intake... once again this is why i try out every product :P i'm the first to get the DDMWorks Race intake with NM's STB, it works very well, only rub issue i had was the passenger side of the box which is somehow a little forward of the driver's side... i fixed that by just putting a small bit of rubber on the box.... besides that there's no rubbing on my car at least...

Last edited by dunphyj; 09-02-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2009 | 10:29 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
and thank you thumper

Old 09-02-2009 | 10:40 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
actually i've had both GTSpec and NM's bar.... if you go on GTSpec's site the bar they have witht he DDNWorks is mine.... here some pics of both bars with ddm race intake

Which strut do you like better or prefer?

Old 09-02-2009 | 10:51 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Yes I am very interested in which one you liked better? what are you running now for a strut bar?

and you do know you are making me want to get a DDM race system, that would be my fifth intake

it was the weight that kept me on my current intake.

Last edited by chakraj; 09-02-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2009 | 10:56 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
i've had the NM engineering for longer and personally like it better... it is partially because i just love the blue but in terms of fit, finish and design i don't think any other bar compares.... it doesn't flex because of the circular bar rather than rectangular like M7s, can be adjusted like the JCW brace, and since there's no joints it technically is a more solid piece because it's effectively solid no matter what direction you flex the the chassis

Old 09-02-2009 | 11:01 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
i've had the NM engineering for longer and personally like it better... it is partially because i just love the blue but in terms of fit, finish and design i don't think any other bar compares.... it doesn't flex because of the circular bar rather than rectangular like M7s, can be adjusted like the JCW brace, and since there's no joints it technically is a more solid piece because it's effectively solid no matter what direction you flex the the chassis
sounds like i will be getting the nm-eng strut then fore sure xD

Did you happen to get there sway bar also by any chance?

Old 09-02-2009 | 11:06 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
yes, it's on my car... the picture with the blue bar... the silver one is the GTSpec bar

Old 09-02-2009 | 11:13 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
I meant the rear sway bar. Do you have it?

Old 09-03-2009 | 05:38 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
dunphyj,

What is that white band aid thing on the turbo inlet tube in your first pic?

Old 09-03-2009 | 07:06 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
oh i'm sorry i misunderstood, no i do not have their rear sway bar, i never found it necessary to have a 22mm swaybar when i'm running my car mostly on the street... yes it's a track and street car but it's mostly street... not to mention i personally see the swaybars as more of a fine tuning mechanism rather than the end all be all of a suspension and handling mod... if you're thinking of some quick handling tightening for little money compared to most suspension stuff then sure grab a swaybar or for the same money get JCW springs... rather than a 22mm on the street wich, on its softest setting would probably make the car snap oversteer more than ur used to, or worse do that in bad weather, most likely you'll be happier with just a 19mm on the softest setting... that's what i do on the street then just switch it to hardest setting for track.

i mena the stock sway bars aren't HUGE but they do their job well and keep the car in a way managable for most people out there. if you want handling lookinto springs and shocks, for a 90% street car i'd suggest Koni FSDs with TSW or NM Springs.... if you have the sport or JCW suspension you can go for Mach5 springs or H&Rs, if you want to know more about the different suspensions u can PM me any questions that i may be able to answer...

as for the little white band aid thing on my car... for the shortest while after i put on my DDMWorks intake the ram air would rub ever so slightly on my turbo inlet hose, it wasn't much at first but after my first track day with it it seemed to grow a bit, it never made it through the first layer but it just didn't look pretty, so for a little bit ever track day i just wrapped that section of the inlet hose so it wouldn't rub (so basically i have track experience with both NMs bar, GTSpecs and JCW) that's not on my car anymore of course tho... i just took a metal grinder and filed down thelittle sharp lip on the ram air so it was smooth and rounded, haven't had any issues since

The following users liked this post:
vkdir (01-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain nm-eng vs other intakes(alta)(m7)and soooo on....