Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Defenders of Speed Vs DDMWorks

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:30 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
very nice!!! congrats! i recently did a WONDERFUL run on Dynolicious! 5.51 sec 0-60 and (not sure how true this part is but) it registered 261bhp! granted it's no dyno so i don't exactly believe it... :P i mean if i am making that then sweet but yeah... parts plus wonderful tires = fun and great 0-60 times

ps etalj, i suggest not running ur 0-60 runs in sport mode... well actually try both but i found throttle modulation easier with minimum wheelspin in 1st and 2nd easily controllable on launch

Old 10-24-2009, 06:42 PM
irmiger
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't say enough good things about the DOS intake. Clint installed one on my car some months ago and it's been nothing but fun every day I drive it. The power gain is definitely noticeable from stock, even from my non-dyno'd ***'s point of view

As for the sound, it hasn't yet replaced my crack habit, but it is almost that addictive! Partial-throttle sound is quiet and fine for most normal driving as well as highway cruising, but open that sucker up and you literally hear everything. The rush of air being sucked in, the turbo whine as it spools up, and of course, the stock blow-off valve pshhhhhh as you stomp on the clutch between gears. It almost takes the place of the R53's supercharger noises.

What's really interesting is that you develop a much smoother clutch/accelerator action. Power-shift, and you'll get the whole cacophony of sounds ending with a very loud burst from the BOV. Take it down a notch and feather the accelerator just before depressing the clutch, and you can actually reduce the back-pressure between shifts, stopping the BOV sound before it happens. It's pretty damned cool!

Stay tuned to this product as there may be some news coming soon!

(Super-secret testing in process )

Old 10-24-2009, 07:23 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the tip Dunphy, I'll give it a shot. I'm using Dynolicious to see the percentage gain I get. Throttle modulation is important, especially when you have an IDIOTIC E-DLC that responds very badly when you lift off the throttle while wheelspinning.

irmiger, what do you mean exactly when you say there's something in the pipeline? I just bought one last week, I hope it hasn't been superseded?

Old 10-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Stig One
Banned
I think that a air inlet is being tested ,maybe on the wiper cowling. i remember clint requesting r56 owners in s.f. that park outside.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:49 PM
etalj
6th Gear
very interesting

Old 10-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Stig One
Banned
I know that there has been talk of a baffle to kill some of the noise

Old 10-24-2009, 08:16 PM
etalj
6th Gear
definitely don't want that....

Old 10-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
So to keep suppositions & misinformation down:

The testing has nothing to do with the cowl vents. The Bay Area volunteers that I recruited are testing a wheel protectant product for me that I really like.

Etalj, the DoS R56 CAI is undergoing no major changes. All folks who have the intake, both new and old, are on a level performance playing field.

Irmiger tested the new foam bulb trim for the bulkhead panel for me (that is on all late 2008 and later units). To let the cat out of the bag, he is being gracious enough to help me test-out an easily removeable and affordable baffle/audio filter for the CAI. (Yay, Stig One!)

As you all know, MINI owners have a wide range of acceptable cockpit noise levels. I'm also finding that it's important to have options that keep SOAF (Significant Other Acceptance Factor) high for those of us with wives, girlfriends, or any other type of SO. This is a complicated business sometimes .

Thanks to all for the kind words and candid review. Your feedback is important to what I do.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Stig One
Banned
Clint

Sign me up for baffle/audio filter a.s.a.p.

I am sick of driving the X6 when taking the ball and chain to dinner.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:59 PM
etalj
6th Gear
nice...

My Acceptable noise level is infinity.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:01 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
I don't date girls that don't like a nice mini luckily my SO is very appreciative and supportive with my modding... She is debating on a clubman or a Honda FIT...

Old 10-25-2009, 03:51 AM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My DoS intake arrived Friday. IT's pouring rain and I don't have a garage to install it in. Kinda going a bit crazy! Can't wait to install it.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Stig One
Banned
Originally Posted by dunphyj
I don't date girls that don't like a nice mini luckily my SO is very appreciative and supportive with my modding... She is debating on a clubman or a Honda FIT...
My housekeeper drives a fit

Old 10-25-2009, 04:48 PM
irmiger
1st Gear
I'm really happy to see everyone's interest in Clint's intake system. I didn't want to spill the beans prematurely, so I'm happy he came on and did it for me. This is all very exciting stuff and I can't wait to see the outcome! If I can stir the pot at all and keep you all coming back for more, I most certainly will!!!

As for this week's testing, it looks like he might have some video as well to document the changes. Knowing my driving, it may be shaky and have police sirens in the background, but you should be able to get the gist of what's going on. Either that or, at the least, have fun watching us get arrested on YouTube

Old 10-25-2009, 05:44 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
Id drive a fit over the mini....+ a k20 swap

Old 11-14-2009, 07:31 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
hehehe that's always nice (only problem with those are the trans, they're not exactly direct replacement and some kinda modification has to happen if i remember right...

ANYWAY as i promised way back when, i said i'd add NM Engineering's intake to the thread. SO!

that's NM's intake on my girl's 09 MINI. now unfortunately i can't give a legit take on it cuz her car's an auto and mine's manual... so power levels (due to her lack of supporting mods) is minimal. sound is similar to those i've heard on Alta's CAI system.

obviously as seen in the pictures, relocated MAF sensor (aka those who want don't you DARE over oil your filter!) and full hard piping. the thing took 20 minutes to install (that's old box off, new intake on) very easy very straightforward install. have the right tools and you're lookin at a 15 minute install (5 minutes spent cuz i was making a hex key work in place of my missing torx )

NOW sound wise best way to describe it would be a very nice whistle, and a more tssss sound of the bypass valve (she still has stock noise maker in place too making a similar sound at higher boost) as compared to DDM's stock sound (aka basically nothing but definitely felt pull) and not as addicting as the sucking and whistling sound and addictive high pitch TSSSS-K! of my helix bov followed by the lower k sound of the bypass (or electronic on turbo bov... i can't remember which one it is...).

all in all it's a very good intake... very nice design and execusion (might have wanted better use of the stock snorkle or just full deletion of it for use of an M7 oil catch can or something...) but the fit and finish are very nice and it definitely gives a high bling under the hood for those who want that... you have to unplug your hood scoop to get more out of it (and in stop and go traffic give the turbo just that little bit more space to vent that hot air to) unfortunately compared to DDM and DoS intakes, this one does suffer from heat soak in stop and go traffic. if you're moving on the highway though it'll be very nice, can't say much at the moment about actual performance gains since it's not on my car (may swap it out on my car for a quick comparison but eh may be too much work for results i basically already know... i don't think that this part alone will yield any major feelable performance gains. could it help down the road... maybe! if you need install help if you get one i'll happily help, DTortie will give you daily driving impression of it (hopefully she'll join in on this one).

anyone else who has NM's intake can happily chime in with your experiences

Old 11-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Tortie
2nd Gear
Thanks for putting up my pictures, JP!

I am very happy with my NM intake. I definitely agree that it is a well-designed and executed piece. The fit is perfect out-of-box, no need to tamper with anything (well, just the relocating of the MAF). It literally was installed in like 20 minutes. I was amazed. The sound is exactly as JP mentioned. Around town it's fairly quiet but when I'm entering the highway, I can clearly hear the sucking of the turbo. The stock noisemaker is quite loud (which I enjoy very much, not having purchased an aftermarket BOV) and after I've been driving for a while, you can hear it faintly in the city. I do think I feel some pull (although it may just be wishful thinking). I also agree that it makes for a nice "eye candy" piece under the bonnet. I've had no problems to speak of and intend on purchasing more from NM.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
very nice!!! congrats! i recently did a WONDERFUL run on Dynolicious! 5.51 sec 0-60 and (not sure how true this part is but) it registered 261bhp! granted it's no dyno so i don't exactly believe it... :P i mean if i am making that then sweet but yeah... parts plus wonderful tires = fun and great 0-60 times

ps etalj, i suggest not running ur 0-60 runs in sport mode... well actually try both but i found throttle modulation easier with minimum wheelspin in 1st and 2nd easily controllable on launch
Holy crap... 5.5? wow, did you definitely have it securely mounted?

I gotta see screen shots of that lol (hit lock button and home button at the same time)... The best i've managed to get in my stock mini S is 6.7, 0 to 60

Old 11-18-2009, 07:39 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Big thumbs up for the DoS CAI

If your on the fence ask Clint to send along a article that he shared with me about cowl induction and lack of airflow at the hood scoop at speed. There is nothing like it on the market right now.

The rest appear to be using a slightly diff way to get you the hot air you don't need. Cooler Air = More HP

Check it out and it's a no brainer

(PS have had one installed on mine beg of Aug)

Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
swisstexmini
2nd Gear
I just got my DoS intake installed on Tuesday and man is it a blast. Its not the sound of a normal intake! You end up hearing the vacum suck and the pshhh sound when shifting and a whining sound in high rpm. Its a total eye catcher and I feel i slight throttle response better. Its a true cold air intake and gets my vote. All my friends love the sound and im happy with how it was finished. thanks Clint,

-Chris

Old 11-19-2009, 11:10 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
So, I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this, but, no one has said anything about it. You know what would be really friggin awesome? A scoop for the cowl. I mean seriously, how badass (ricey?) would that be, just one scoop on the driver's side? Maybe it isn't necessary, but would it help? Probably not enough to really matter, but, at least it would look cool.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM
GO K4RT
1st Gear
Originally Posted by D-Unit
So, I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this, but, no one has said anything about it. You know what would be really friggin awesome? A scoop for the cowl. I mean seriously, how badass (ricey?) would that be, just one scoop on the driver's side? Maybe it isn't necessary, but would it help? Probably not enough to really matter, but, at least it would look cool.
Not necessary at all. The change in angle from the hood to the windshield ensure that sufficient pressure will build up at the cowl. Scoops are necessary when you have very high surface velocity and you need a method to catch the air and direct it. But when you have a change of direction in air flow like at the base of the windshield, velocity is reduced, and air pressure builds.

That is why I love the DoS system. It takes a natural flaw found on every car, and uses it as an advantage.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
I got some PM's and emails about cowl induction yesterday. If you guys are interested, here's a thread in a Honda forum that has a pretty good overview on cowl induction.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt-...am-air-si.html

Keep in mind that there are some characters that don't quite get it or come-up with some ghetto DIY solutions. However, generally it does a nice job at keeping to its core topic.

Last edited by Mini'mon; 11-19-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: used a comma instead of a period.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
So, I'm sure someone would have posted something if this were a problem, but, my paranoid side just has to ask; just like everyone asked about the alta intake. Full throttle in a torrential downpour, any remote chance of water ingestion? As small as it is, that turbo still sucks in a lot of air.

Please put my mind at ease so I can go back to drooling and trying to justify buying another intake and trying to sell my current one.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Defenders of Speed Vs DDMWorks