Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain removed precat added magnaflow cat too loud

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009 | 03:47 PM
dustinhxc
|
6th Gear
removed precat added magnaflow cat too loud

i already had a magnaflow muffler and now i removed the precat and the stock cat then installed a magnaflow hiflow cat. it is too high pitched and loud now. what should i do to make it back to a tolerable deep tone. add a resonator between the magnaflow cat and muffler or should i add another magnaflow muffler? would the resonator be enough or should i do a 2nd muffler? Can their be 2 mufflers in a row? would it defeat the purpose of me removing the 2 cats? thanks!

Old 10-09-2009 | 04:46 PM
onasled
Banned
If that's the round magnaflow, then it's basically a resonator anyway. Adding another would be fine. But you need to add the new one as close to the header as possible as the closer you are the hotter the gasses, and that quiets the car more. Minis are strangely loud and not easy to make sound nice.

Old 10-10-2009 | 04:32 AM
dustinhxc
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
If that's the round magnaflow, then it's basically a resonator anyway. Adding another would be fine. But you need to add the new one as close to the header as possible as the closer you are the hotter the gasses, and that quiets the car more. Minis are strangely loud and not easy to make sound nice.
Yeah its the round magnaflow and other people have called it a resonator even though the shop said its a muffler Dang I really liked the sound before i removed the 2 cats but I just spent money to remove them so I want to keep the magnaflow cat in so i can still have the extra flow. i think i will add a 2nd magnaflow muffler to quiet it down a bit. will it still flow nice though? thanks!

Old 10-10-2009 | 04:46 AM
onasled
Banned
Yea, just stick another magnaflow right after the cat and you should be better. Flow will still be better then factory and other aftermarket systems.
Other thing is to move the magflow you have to the res location and then you could maybe pick up a quieter muffler if you want.

No mistake, the loud drone of a Mini S will cause hearing loss.

Old 10-10-2009 | 05:05 AM
dustinhxc
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
Yea, just stick another magnaflow right after the cat and you should be better. Flow will still be better then factory and other aftermarket systems.
Other thing is to move the magflow you have to the res location and then you could maybe pick up a quieter muffler if you want.

No mistake, the loud drone of a Mini S will cause hearing loss.
Yeah right after the cat is a great idea sounds perfect. The flow will be better because of the header precat delete and the hiflow cat right? excellent. that is also a good idea to move the current muffler and add a quieter one. ill think about it. i think ill try with the 2nd magnaflow muffler after the cat.

That is so true! I got home and my ears where ringing no joke! Just like I was at a concert.

ps: im glad you replied, your MINI looks super modifed so you have to know what you're talking about

Old 10-10-2009 | 06:48 AM
dustinhxc
|
6th Gear
Well I just drove my MINI with the new setup for day #2 and I actually like it more than yesterday, I can control the sound better by watching/listening to rpms and what gear I am shifting into. At wot it sounds amazing like a race track MINI and I love it, it obviously gets everyone's attention. I noticed the improved throttle response and hp gain above 3k especially if Im downshifting there is a noticeable gain. But I don't think I can tolerate the noise for an everyday drive. I had basically the same setup in my Volkswagen GTI and I Loved it, but I was a tad bit younger and could tolerate the constant drone of exhaust tone. So I think I will wait a couple weeks and then I will add a 2nd Magnaflow muffler after the Hi Flow Cat.

Old 10-10-2009 | 01:23 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Onasled KNOWS what he's talking about fer sure! If you read threads on "battery delete and straight through exhaust" you will find lots of wisdom along the same lines as Onasled has told you here.
You should also try to call the catalytic converter a cat, and resonators/mufflers a different name--it can be confusing and it's harder to help you out.
I'd like to reiterate one point that Onasled said that might not have been given the importance it needs--resonators closer to the header are more effective than those placed further down the system. System length is also very important in determining the "tone" of the exhaust. Longer is quieter, but also deeper.
And, yes, the R53 is an incredibly loud car...

Old 10-10-2009 | 01:49 PM
dustinhxc
|
6th Gear
Excellent news, I installed a Resonator after the cat and now the MINI has absolutely no high pitch tone at all. It is actually quieter than before I removed both cats. So now the hp gain and throttle response from the precat delete on the header and the magnaflow hiflow cat is still there. the backfire burbling that i love is still there. the deep magnaflow tone is still there but now even deeper and the high pitch is gone. its perfect all it took was a tiny resonator!

Old 10-11-2009 | 02:34 AM
Dinan604
3rd Gear
So you have the regular Magnaflow exhaust, no pre-cat, stock cat, one resonator after cat and another resonator further down the line before the y-split?

Which resonator (part #) did you use? When you get a chance, take a video! Thanks!

Old 10-11-2009 | 04:13 AM
dustinhxc
|
6th Gear
Hey nope, it is no pre cat, magnaflow hi flow cat, resonator, magnaflow round muffler. not sure the part numbers sorry!

Old 10-11-2009 | 06:31 PM
MerchoMini
4th Gear
i just bought an exhaust, it was easier haha, but lets get a sound clip of ur masterpeice.

Old 10-11-2009 | 07:36 PM
orcadog
1st Gear
Yeah, don't cheat us out of a sound clip!

Old 10-13-2009 | 06:05 PM
dustinhxc
|
6th Gear
soon fellas.. Well just noticed today when stepping on the gas more, I went from 17 to 19 PSI boost wot. It Feels and sounds great!