Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ED Downpipe Heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:32 PM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ED Downpipe Heat shield

For those of us with the ED downpipe, has anyone reinstalled the lower shield? If so, what did you cut in order to make it fit?

I am scheduled to return from Afghanistan next month and it bothers me that I don't have a lower heat shield. If no one has it installed, are there any problems with heat and such? My wife hasn't driven the MINI too much in the last 6 months so I don't know how hot it has gotten.

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Seth! Glad to hear you're coming back to us! That time went really quickly (well, maybe for us anyway )

I don't know why the lower shield would matter unless it keeps the heat off the intercooler or something.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 AM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Welcome Home -- Thanks for your service.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
I would definitely try and put the shield back on. The excessive heat might do damage over time to the fans and such around the DP.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 AM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Hey Seth! Glad to hear you're coming back to us! That time went really quickly (well, maybe for us anyway )

I don't know why the lower shield would matter unless it keeps the heat off the intercooler or something.
I am only finishing 1/2 the tour. My back never healed from my surgery last year so I am coming back to get it fixed - again....

I still spent 6 months over here, which is a looooooong time in Afghanistan.

I think the heat shield will go back if I cut it. I want to see what other have done so I don't waste my time doing something that doesn't work.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:50 PM
tintman718
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniManiac74
For those of us with the ED downpipe, has anyone reinstalled the lower shield? If so, what did you cut in order to make it fit?
Could you explain why you have to cut the shield? I have a ragazzon dp and I didn't have to cut anything.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 PM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tintman718
Could you explain why you have to cut the shield? I have a ragazzon dp and I didn't have to cut anything.
The lower heat shield won't go back on with the ED downpipe. I am just seeing if any folks are having issues without the heat shield or if they found a way to get it back on.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
Maybe this doesn't help too much, but I do know that someone did put theirs back on. Unfortunately I don't remember who. It was mentioned in one of the original ED Exhaust threads (I'm assuming the DP thread of course).

I didn't put mine back on and haven't noticed any damage. I have checked a few times since I've had it. Then again, I can't see everything down in there that well...

Old 10-23-2009, 07:12 AM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Maybe this doesn't help too much, but I do know that someone did put theirs back on. Unfortunately I don't remember who. It was mentioned in one of the original ED Exhaust threads (I'm assuming the DP thread of course).

I didn't put mine back on and haven't noticed any damage. I have checked a few times since I've had it. Then again, I can't see everything down in there that well...
I think the guy cut it down the middle and put on section on at a time. I am just worried about the extra heat.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
HAHA ED........Nah but seriously don't worry about a heat shield just ceramic coat it.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:35 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
I am one guy that put my heat shield on after installing the ED dp. I posted pics in an earlier post. I did in fact cut in right down the middle in the vertical direction. There is about a 1/2" section exposed, but I also wrapped my pipe with heat tape so I think I am A-oK. Haven't had any problems yet and I check is every once in a while. Mini-maniac - shoot my a PM if you need any specific questions answered. I also have been waiting for you to get back to talk about your p2096 error code. I recently got that and am wondering if it has to do with the ED pipe and how you fixed it....Thanks for your service and safe travels back!!!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PoktRokt
I am one guy that put my heat shield on after installing the ED dp. I posted pics in an earlier post. I did in fact cut in right down the middle in the vertical direction. There is about a 1/2" section exposed, but I also wrapped my pipe with heat tape so I think I am A-oK. Haven't had any problems yet and I check is every once in a while. Mini-maniac - shoot my a PM if you need any specific questions answered. I also have been waiting for you to get back to talk about your p2096 error code. I recently got that and am wondering if it has to do with the ED pipe and how you fixed it....Thanks for your service and safe travels back!!!!!
I am still in Afghanistan until mid-November. I have had luck with the internet lately which is why I have been on so much. My code was caused due to my 2nd O2 sensor not going in all the way. The threads on the DP were a little messed up and the sensor didn't thread properly into the pipe. It got jammed about 3/4 in. I don't want to take out the sensor because I will have to replace it and I can't find them for under $150.

My wife said the CEL went off and hasn't returned. My DP is ceramic coated but I just worry about not having the heatshield. I will PM you when I get back and start to work on a solution.