Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain MCSA Tranny Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't wait to see. Once it started coming out in a steady stream, I let it taper off a bit and then put the cap on because the ATF was getting over the target temp.
What did you have in mind?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:44 PM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You answered it. I will try to borrow a laser temperture reader from a friend when I do the final level adjustment.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:57 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Several hundred miles on my ~80% change now... OMG what a huge difference. Like a new transmission. It's stunning how bad it had gotten before the fluid change.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:51 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by clutchless
You answered it. I will try to borrow a laser temperture reader from a friend when I do the final level adjustment.
I just used an electronic kitchen thermometer, I let the ATF drain over it and read the temp. It was 98 and climbing, so I put the drain plug on and called it a day. I just don't know if it was overfilled from factory or if it is because when I drained it cold, the car was sitting at a slight incline in the opposite direction it did when I checked it. I think it was just because of the incline. I am not going to worry about it, as far as I am concerned it is done and done. There is no ATF drainage when the temp is under 90*F so it is not overfilled.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Several hundred miles on my ~80% change now... OMG what a huge difference. Like a new transmission. It's stunning how bad it had gotten before the fluid change.
Amazing, isn't it? Ours will still sometimes downshift a bit stiff, but that's just the way the line pressure and valve body are set up on this unit, there is nothing to be done in that regard.
Have you guys by chance notice a change in shift points? Since the ATF change, our Mini seems to have shifted the points a bit north. Before, it would generally upshift at around 3500, now depending on throttle position, it will let it go up to 4.5K. It also seems to hold gears longer, especially 2nd if you keep the throttle steady. I am sure it will settle down, or maybe not, just some things I observed.
Generally 1-2-3 gear shifts are sometimes funky, anything above you can't even feel them, you just see the rev needle drop Manual or sports mode and the gear engagements are nice and firm with NO hesitation or slipping which tells me all is good mechanically speaking.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 AM
polecat
1st Gear
What are your 1st to 2nd upshift & your 3rd to 2nd downshift like, fishbone & cabrio, I've not done the fluid on mine yet, still weighing up the odds for synthetic or mineral.
I think I will check the engine mounts for ware as we are getting a slight bucking/lurching on off throttle, I have read fitting a stabiliser bar helps with this issue & makes the shift feel better, not sure about the poly bushes and mounts as these seem to transmit vibration.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I don't know how to answer "what's it like" questions... so subjective.

"Smooth" is the best answer I can give.

My car has gobs of NVH compared to stock.

I have all manner of non-OEM stuff on my car... TSW engine mount... VIP damper... so YMMV.

As for shift point comparisons... it's so dependent on load, throttle position, etc. that's pretty impossible to compare. Usually my shift points are wherever I feel like pulling on the paddle... or redline... whichever comes first.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:45 PM
polecat
1st Gear
Just ordered the mineral based fluid from the local vauxhall dealer jws 3309, I got the ATF for £5.28 a ltr inc vat, they wanted £8+ for it, but seeing I was getting 12 ltr they could do it for just over £5.
I also rang the BMW dealer for a price but they wanted £21 a ltr for it plus I would have to bring my own container to put the atf in as they only have it in bulk 200 ltr drum in the workshop, and yes it is the same stuff as the vauxhall dealer, mineral based 3309, the dealer confirmed this but said they get from Esso when I mentioned it was a Mobil ATF fluid.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
Best point of comparison I can offer I think is just leaving normally at a stoplight. When the revs stop climbing and the tranny grabs the next gear, before the fluid change it felt like the rev needle hit a rock, does that make sense? Now, it feels like you hit a beach ball. Does that even make sense? Basically it doesn't bite into gears, it just engages them. You still feel it, but that feel is not like running over a pothole, more like a soft bump.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:17 AM
polecat
1st Gear
Thanks u 2, ours will change pretty smooth through all gears when engine is cold, but when engine is warm the second gear can be lumpy, its not every time it goes into second, it just catches you out every now & then, if I ease off the throttle as its about to change from 1st to 2nd it will normally change pretty smoothly, can't seem to catch it on the downshift thump from 3rd to 2nd though, virtually the same as the laguna we have with the aisin 55-50sn autobox.

So fluid change & check motor mounts plus maybe fit engine steady bar or damper would be the best guess, as I am getting the lurching on/off throttle, so the mounts could be suspect.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:56 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
The second generation car automatic transmission filler appears much more difficult to access than your first gen cars. You cannot get at it the way fishbone describes. It appears to be angled more and vertical access is blocked by the wiper motor. I cannot drop extensions down to get at the bolt. I think I need a allen style T55 single piece wrench to get at it from below. I am going to remove the plastic tube air hose to see if there is another candidate for fill plug under it.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:27 PM
pkgdave9144
1st Gear
So, is the manual-specified fill plug the one that is on the top of the torque converter section of the trannny assembly?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
The manual-specified fill plug is actually on the rear side of the transmission, accessible from below with a fluid pump (or so I'm told). The top plug that I used is supposedly the "factory" fill plug... and just happens to be accessible from the top on the 1st gen cars.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Thanks, but where is the factory fill plug, I want photos from a second gen! It appears the version of this tranny in your cars may have slightly different fill holes? I just ordered transmission manual from
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/VW09m.html

They also sell the filter and pan gasket for a lot less than the dealer.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
Post some pics of your findings. Sorry to hear yours is different.
That pan gasket is dirt cheap. For that price I'd have definitely dropped the pan.
Anyone try to find a crush washer for the drain plug? I haven't had time.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 PM
polecat
1st Gear
I did transmission fluid change on sunday, like you say you can notice a difference hardest part was to find a tight fitting tube for the funnel that would fit snug in the fill hole, I also cut the corner off the engine undershield so I have easy access to the drain plug without having to remove the undershield again, I have only done one drain but I did get 3.4 liters out thats about 3.6 quarts.
I notice you guys were saying you were getting about 2.5 quarts out
Now the only thing I can think why I got that much out was the car had been sat in the garage for a few days not used and a lot of the fluid had drained back in the sump, I dumped the fluid cold (21c) I got about 2 liters out before I removed the overflow pipe & 1.6 liters gushed out when the pipe was removed, the car was jacked up on the offside front about 30cm (1 foot)

Did you guys say you warmed the engine up before dumping the fluid or had the cars been used just before draining the fluid.

I am going to do another drain or two in the near future after iv'e put a few miles on it, I will have to check the level when I get chance as its got me thinking it may have been overfilled at some stage with me getting 3.4 liters out.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Medic_Coop
1st Gear
Okay...maybe a dumb question.

When checking the fluid level, do you actually check using the drain plug or the stand pipe? What is the stand pipe on the side used for? Thanks.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:57 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
You use the stand pipe as a gauge but have to monitor the fluid temperature. Look at this other thread under gen 2 for atf partial drain and fill. I posted PDFs from a transmission service manual that shows the stand pipe etc and should answer your question. The thread also contains step by step instructions and photos for changing your atf fluid. The 1st and 2nd gen use the same Aisin transmission, but access is a little different due to the different engines and bodies. There are two possible places to add fluid, the rear side and on top. We were not as lucky as VW owners because their version of the Aisin has a filler tube on the front! https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rain-fill.html

Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Status report - a few thousand miles in now - and smooth sailing. Shifting has been flawless since the change, both in auto mode and manual. Fantastic improvement for me... I was worried my tranny might be on its last legs. Apparently it has some life left in it.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:27 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
With the car cold, starting it up, anyone mind counting the seconds it takes for the gear to engage when going from P to R? Ours takes just under 2 seconds, it seems long to me. On my Subaru Legacy, it engages in less than a second. I know the rule of thumb is for any tranny to engage the gear in 2 seconds or less, just wondering if mine is acting normal.
Also, 1-2 shifts are not as smooth as the rest of the gears. Still kinda "bites" into gear a little bit.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 AM
thebestbear
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fishbone
With the car cold, starting it up, anyone mind counting the seconds it takes for the gear to engage when going from P to R? Ours takes just under 2 seconds, it seems long to me. On my Subaru Legacy, it engages in less than a second. I know the rule of thumb is for any tranny to engage the gear in 2 seconds or less, just wondering if mine is acting normal.
Also, 1-2 shifts are not as smooth as the rest of the gears. Still kinda "bites" into gear a little bit.
Mine's the same. 3 point turns are getting kindof embarasing.
After reading these posts I'm considering changing the trans fluid on my mcsa

Old 09-26-2010, 05:16 AM
Medic_Coop
1st Gear
I am getting ready to do a few drain and fills on my MCSA and was going to use a funnel. After some research, I found this tool that will work, just screws into the fill hole. Just needs a hose connected and a transmission funnel which comes with a clear hose. Figured some folks would like to have this. MUCH cheaper than buying the OEM fill tool.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Medic_Coop
1st Gear
I wasn't able to find the JWS 3309 spec listed for Mobil 1 ATF. Only for the Mobil 3309. Fishbone....do you have a link for it?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:49 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Medic Coop, I wonder if that tool will work on the MINI. VW actually has a fill tube on the lower front of the trans. See my prior post with pdfs attached from a service manual. That tube may only fit the VW fill tube, not our tiny bolt hole. Also if you intend to use it on the upper hole, there may not be room for it to screw in due to other hoses above the hole. If you buy it, let us know how it works.
Mobil 1 should be just fine, JWS 3309 is nothing but a Dexron III derivative with longer life additives. Many at bobistheoilguy have had improved performance using such various fluids as Red Line D4, Amsoil, Royal Purple and Mobil 1 in Toyota Aisin transmissions that take Toyota TIV a/k/a JWS 3309. Mobil lists compatiblilty with JWS3309 or Toyota TIV. http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/lub...thetic_atf.asp

This link also says it is compatible: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...smissions.aspx
It appears that Aisin transmissions that take JWS3309 are obviously not that picky about fluid.

Last edited by clutchless; 09-27-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Medic_Coop
1st Gear
If you read the paragraph listed with the fill tube, it states for use with Mini Cooper. I am going to buy this and I will keep you up to date. I do see the Mobil 1 have the 3309 now. It is not listed on Mobil's website....or I couldn't find it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain MCSA Tranny Fluid Change