Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain nm-eng what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009 | 12:15 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
nm-eng what to expect?

What will i expect if I buy the Discharge pipe? Sound/smoother acceleration/ hp?

What about the new air charge pipe they just came out with. If i am correct does it take away the noise maker?

Im planning to buy both of them as my first mods and want to see if anyone knows if its worth it. I will eventually get an intake, exhaust, and so on....

But what would i expect from it? Any one know the difference between altas?

Thanks for the help =]

Old 11-09-2009 | 06:11 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I'd expect a huge placebo effect and a little performance gain.

Old 11-09-2009 | 08:16 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
hmm then why do people change out the factory ones?

Is it just a mod people like to add to the list on there sig?

Old 11-09-2009 | 10:27 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
it's a sound thing... i have alta's... but they're cheaper and honestly they don't do much... it's eye candy for under the bonnet...

it's been said in many many threads, if you want power mods, go Intercooler, downpipe (or turboback) and tune... show is for BOVs, Boost tubes and Intakes... they all may make a small difference in the end, but as of right now the most you'll get is a little more turbo and boost noise... actual performance gains will be minimal at best for just boost tubes....

and yes, sig lists are like badges of honor almost... the more pieces the more fun (so most think... i disagree... i think it depends on what you want in the car...)

Old 11-09-2009 | 10:52 PM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
it's a sound thing... i have alta's... but they're cheaper and honestly they don't do much... it's eye candy for under the bonnet...

it's been said in many many threads, if you want power mods, go Intercooler, downpipe (or turboback) and tune... show is for BOVs, Boost tubes and Intakes... they all may make a small difference in the end, but as of right now the most you'll get is a little more turbo and boost noise... actual performance gains will be minimal at best for just boost tubes....

and yes, sig lists are like badges of honor almost... the more pieces the more fun (so most think... i disagree... i think it depends on what you want in the car...)
I just want to know if it will sound better, hold boost better, and be less restrictive. Even if its a lil change its something in the long run that will help

Old 11-09-2009 | 11:57 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Sure there is some improvement. It probably won't change your 1/4 mile time by much though.

You'd be better off buying a sway bar for the same price or less $$. It'll help your straight line speed almost the same () , but it'll help your corner speed a lot.

If you want some gnarly noises without much hp gain (or maybe even a slight loss) get an open air intake.

Originally Posted by dunphyj
it's been said in many many threads, if you want power mods, go Intercooler, downpipe (or turboback) and tune...
x2 - fully agree although I'd save the downpipe for last since there will very possibly be CELs to go along with it.

Old 11-10-2009 | 12:08 AM
swisstexmini
|
2nd Gear
Another quick ?

Will the pipes help with cooling engine? For hard driving on the track.

Old 11-10-2009 | 06:25 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by swisstexmini
Another quick ?

Will the pipes help with cooling engine? For hard driving on the track.
nah.

intercooler will do that.

And, when it comes out, a water/meth kit.

Old 11-10-2009 | 09:31 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
Yes the discharge pipe is a good idea, you will have a deaper sound and you WILL see some performance gains. Not a huge amount but it will pull harder, there is a silencer that you will be removing that will increase sound and free up flow. it a good choice of mods

Old 04-20-2011 | 01:49 PM
filipgligorov
1st Gear
noise maker

also, i like to put this two things on my car....and i have same question:it will air charge pipe delete the noise maker?thank you

Old 04-20-2011 | 07:05 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
i got the charge pipe and you can hear it building boost a bit more with the windows down but no power gain.

Old 04-21-2011 | 05:14 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I'd expect a huge placebo effect and a little performance gain.
truth. The sound is a bit better from time to time. Other than that....no difference.