Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Big turbo upgrade with the Garrett GT28RS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009 | 02:44 PM
AltaMiniS
|
1st Gear
Big turbo upgrade with the Garrett GT28RS!

Has anybody done this upgrade with the Garrett GT28RS combined with the Unichip Q- Plus:

http://www.unichip.us/vehicle/vehicl...urbo-Upgrade-S

???

Im looking into the turbo swap but just trying to get an idea of how it runs with the Unichip...
It says on this site that with a correct tune the 1.6 should be producing 350hp. I have all new engine hoses from Alta and a turboback exhaust as well. Before i get this turbo upgrade i would also be getting the Alta FMIC Upgrade.

If anyone has any opinions on this kit they would be greatly appreciated...

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:48 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Just say no to the UniChip. It has the potential to ruin your ECU. Be patient and wait for RMW tuning magic.

You also NEED to buy a bigger intercooler if you're going to be slamming that much more charge air into your engine.

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:56 PM
AltaMiniS
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Just say no to the UniChip. It has the potential to ruin your ECU. Be patient and wait for RMW tuning magic.

You also NEED to buy a bigger intercooler if you're going to be slamming that much more charge air into your engine.
yes, as i said in my first post im going to be putting in the Alta intercooler when i get the bigger turbo.

what is this RMW tuning everyone is talking about?

Old 12-15-2009 | 04:15 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AltaMiniS
yes, as i said in my first post im going to be putting in the Alta intercooler when i get the bigger turbo.

what is this RMW tuning everyone is talking about?
http://www.revolutionmini.com/contacts.html

Old 12-15-2009 | 04:23 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Be patient and wait for RMW tuning magic.
+1

Old 12-15-2009 | 04:23 PM
AltaMiniS
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tattedXB
thanks! i went to the website but there was nothing about tuning... i emailed the address on the site...is that all we can do right now?

Old 12-15-2009 | 04:31 PM
skippydog
3rd Gear
[quote=Just say no to the UniChip. It has the potential to ruin your ECU. Be patient and wait for RMW tuning magic.

You also NEED to buy a bigger intercooler if you're going to be slamming that much more charge air into your engine.[/quote]

Actually the charged air should be cooler with this turbo than the stock. Thats not to say that the stock one shouldnt be replaced. It is not very good at doing its current job.

Old 12-15-2009 | 04:56 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AltaMiniS
thanks! i went to the website but there was nothing about tuning... i emailed the address on the site...is that all we can do right now?
Ah sorry, that is correct, you can email jan or find him on here - Revolution Mini Works, I believe.

Check the other drivetrain threads for the RMW threads, he posts in those regularly.

Last edited by tattedXB; 12-15-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2009 | 07:34 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Rumor has it, a GT28 equipped MCS did not put out as much as a JCW with basic bolt ons/stock turbo/stock tune at a recent tuning event.........

Old 12-16-2009 | 07:34 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
In all fairness there are other tuners out there doing ECU mod's.

Old 12-29-2009 | 09:54 AM
empire0007
2nd Gear
GT28R

Group i just purchased a used GT28R and i wanted to get some feed back and also on instalation as i do not have any of the needed parts to connect. Some of the questions, would be on the cold side intake, what happens to the sensors and etc. I am having my mechanic do the work, but he has not done one on a Mini before and he wants me to find out what needs to be done and where i need to get the parts for the converting it?

Would appreciate all the help on this matter.

Old 12-29-2009 | 10:56 AM
Paul Webster
Banned
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Rumor has it, a GT28 equipped MCS did not put out as much as a JCW with basic bolt ons/stock turbo/stock tune at a recent tuning event.........

Is that where they thought they would make 300whp in sunny Florida

Old 01-03-2010 | 07:33 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS

StigOne's car ?

Yeah I watched the dyno pull ,all i can say other than the numbers the jcw put down are stronger than the gt28 car is that Stig has one mean sounding Jcw .

Old 01-04-2010 | 08:24 AM
skippydog
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
StigOne's car ?

Yeah I watched the dyno pull ,all i can say other than the numbers the jcw put down are stronger than the gt28 car is that Stig has one mean sounding Jcw .

Who was the tuner? What where their thoughts on why the turbo did not perform as well? Is this the only car that has been attempted to be tuned with the garrett? How much dyno tune time did the car have?

Old 01-04-2010 | 09:42 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Someone sooner or later will invest the time tuning a big turbo kit for the R56. With these crappy economic times it will be a while.

Old 01-04-2010 | 11:51 AM
skippydog
3rd Gear
I am planning on doing the big turbo upgrade. But I am still under warranty and the car is a bit new to just bolt on and x fingers. Im buying supporting mods until then and putting them to the side.

Old 01-04-2010 | 12:52 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by skippydog
Who was the tuner? What where their thoughts on why the turbo did not perform as well? Is this the only car that has been attempted to be tuned with the garrett? How much dyno tune time did the car have?

Jan was doing the tuning but the car needed some little bugs worked out. Car was on the Dyno 3 + hours.

I hate to say it but the gt28 car looked pretty thrashed and slapped together.The owner and builder claimed that the tires on the car caused the dyno to read 50whp low

After the Clubman Gt28 left Jan said my Jcw pulled much stronger and quicker than the gt28 car .I would like to see how the Clubman gt28 will run with a JCW map sensor,hope they build some power with it because if they do the key for a turbo upgrade on the cooper s will be the JCW map sensor.

Last edited by JamesHunt; 01-04-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2010 | 02:01 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Someone sooner or later will invest the time tuning a big turbo kit for the R56. With these crappy economic times it will be a while.

3 tuners in the usa are working on the software.

for you cooper s guys get a jcw turbo and for the jcw a larger k04 will work just fine.The goal is more air flow with the turbo .

According to Jan of RMW(tuner of record holding Minis) and Larry Macedo of M2 Motorsports (the home of 1000+ hp Vipers), my jcw with just a downpipe and intercooler is maxxing out the stock turbo and only picking up 8 to 12 whp and 10 to 15 wtq with a RMW tune.

Larry plans to address the head (very rough casting from the factory ),exhaust manifold,camshaft , valves,valvetrain and a larger ko4 or mod the stock jcw turbo for more flow with boostpressure that the ecu can live with.

The engine is a airpump ,the more air you put in the more power you make

Old 01-04-2010 | 02:10 PM
skippydog
3rd Gear
JCW turbo not worth the price for the amount of hp.

Old 01-04-2010 | 02:21 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by skippydog
JCW turbo not worth the price for the amount of hp.
It is if that is all the ecu will work with the turbo is worth every penny. not to many cooper s have 225 whp and 220 wtq like my jcw(without tune).The ones that do make horsepower Numbers close or above my car have a Tune + head work done which last time i looked at head work it was about three times the money compaired to a oem jcw turbo(plus major labor to R&R and to degree the camshafts compared to just bolting on a turbo)

Old 01-04-2010 | 05:16 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
which is where Schrick comes in??? didn't they just come out with Cams for the R56? then again they don't make any claims of what you should use with them so i donno exactly what they've done with them...

http://www.mini-madness.com/R56-schr...amshaft-1.aspx

Last edited by dunphyj; 01-04-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2010 | 05:21 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by dunphyj
which is where Shrick comes in??? didn't they just come out with Cams for the R56? then again they don't make any claims of what you should use with them so i donno exactly what they've done with them...
Dunphy

The stock head intake and exhaust ports are so rough i think a cam wont provide a gain until the head is ported and polished and bigger valves are installed.on a stock head the aftermarket cams will just move the powerband and maybe 2 or 3 whp.

The north american spec minis dont like the shrick cams at the moment, the gt28 guys tried some big schrick cams without success that George from madness supplied them.shrick offers 4 different sets for the r56.

Ken Newman plans on developing cams for us(usa spec) this year.(i need to send him flowbench readings on a stock head and a ported big valve head)

Last edited by JamesHunt; 01-04-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2010 | 08:09 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
It will be interesting to see how a modified JCW turbo goes against a GT28RS R56. Installing a GT28RS seems to bring in a lot of extra costs like a new compressor intake pipe, adapters to whatever airbox you have, new downpipe and possibly even a new exhaust to fit the custom downpipe. It seems as though R56 JCW owners might get a steal of a deal modifying the turbo and tweaking the ECU will regular R56 owners might have to shell out more dough.

I hate to say this, but hopefully some junker JCW turbos show up in junkyards for the rest of us...

It's only time and money baby

Thank you James and Jan for your investment in the R56 community. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2010 | 01:05 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
These are the Biggest power gains at the moment for a Jcw .

jcw base line = 188 whp (50 miles on car)

Riss Catless downpipe = 211 WHP Gain 23 whp

Riss Catless downpipe, Forge Intercooler, Dos Cai = 220 whp Gain 9 whp

Riss Catless Downpipe,Forge Intercooler ,Dos Cai ,Riss 2.5 inch downpipe back ehxhaust = 228 whp Gain 8 whp

I hope a worked turbo ,head work, a high lift cam,and a tune will produce 260/270ish whp

If not a Bottle running a 25/35 hp jet will be bolted in.

Last edited by JamesHunt; 01-13-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2010 | 11:07 PM
Minichunksnj
2nd Gear
i had my 09' jcw dyno'd at 233whp with just the intake and alta FMIC i just got the riss racing catless DP a few months ago had it installed and havent had it dyno'd yet but it pulls like a bat out of hell. i think a tune and Methanol is all these cars need with suporting pluming work.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Big turbo upgrade with the Garrett GT28RS!