Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Wish I had some LSD

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 05:46 PM
silvrcelt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I had some LSD

I'm not sure what I'm missing... but I got my car (06 MCS, R53) used with a number of a la carte upgrades, one of which I thought was the LSD. Recently, I was finally brave enough to ask the dealer what was actually specified on the build sheet. Turns out, no LSD.

Apparently, much like manual transmission in small cars in the US in general, the LSD factory option is becoming ever more rare on MINIs, especially on the second generation. So I'm interested in hearing from people who have the mechanical LSD from the factory (2002-2006?), and how they feel it adds to the MINI driving experience. Is this something that is only really useful for the Autocross and track-day crowd? Or does the LSD put the extra finishing touch on what is already a great handling car, especially in tight cornering situations?

Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by silvrcelt
I'm not sure what I'm missing... but I got my car (06 MCS, R53) used with a number of a la carte upgrades, one of which I thought was the LSD. Recently, I was finally brave enough to ask the dealer what was actually specified on the build sheet. Turns out, no LSD.

Apparently, much like manual transmission in small cars in the US in general, the LSD factory option is becoming ever more rare on MINIs, especially on the second generation. So I'm interested in hearing from people who have the mechanical LSD from the factory (2002-2006?), and how they feel it adds to the MINI driving experience. Is this something that is only really useful for the Autocross and track-day crowd? Or does the LSD put the extra finishing touch on what is already a great handling car, especially in tight cornering situations?
Makes life in the snow a little easier, I really only every feel it on the tight high RPM turns (I've noticed with my factory diff that I'll get tire squeal indicative of an open differential until I'm past at least 3k RPM), which is a fairly low percentage of regular street driving in the midwest, but more common use was seen in Western NC, the California Coast, in the middle of the Rocky mountains. The feel of the aftermarket LSDs souds like it is supposed to be much more pronounced (more limited less slip), but I'm yet to be fortunate enough to drive a MINI with non-factory LSD, though I've been behind the wheel on a few with the open differential.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Gerarddm
2nd Gear
By the thread title, I thought for a second it was 1967... LOL

Old 12-18-2009, 07:51 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a modified R53 without an LSD. When it came time to order my R56, having an LSD was my #1 must-have option. And I'm glad I got it...makes driving spiritedly much better. And I'm lucky that I still got the mechanical LSD, versus the new joke electronic LSD that they switched to.

Not that an open-diff MINI is bad...but adding the LSD just makes it that much better like you said. Grip during acceleration/cornering is far superior with the LSD than the open diff. And I don't track the car...but I notice the difference everyday on the street.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah... Not having an LSD is something I notice everyday. And it is starting to bug me...

Old 12-20-2009, 12:34 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove my '04 S without for many miles. I got a Quaife only a year ago, and it is a very different cornering experience when power actually goes to the outside wheel and helps the car to turn in. I have not driven an OEM LSD MCS, but the Quaife is great.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:43 PM
istara
2nd Gear
There is a G-stock mini that runs locally (nationally competitive) with the stock LSD and every fast driver that has gotten in it to take it for a spin laughs about the "LSD" and jokes that they must have forgotten to put one in because it doesn't seem to do much good. There is also a huge difference between that car and driving mine with the Cusco. So, better than an open diff? Probably. But not as good as aftermarket.

If you're thinking about adding one at this point, I certainly wouldn't go stock. For the price, you might as well get one that works more effectively. Whether or not it's worth it to get one for only street driving? I guess it would depend on just how spirited your driving is. I certainly feel the difference with mine and other than wheels and tires it's easily my favorite mod.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 AM
Tamadx
2nd Gear
i also dont have one on mine but when the time comes for a clutch i am 98% sure a LSD will make its way into my car...

i get outside tire spin on a normal turn on the streets. even one thats not so sharp it just light up that outside tire in second gear... it sucks... not like i am making a lot of power either.... just a CAI.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
If you want it, install it. Not too $$$ if you want the added traction. Great time to do a improved clutch too.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:12 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LSD + auto tranny?

Theoretical question (since there's no way I can afford to retrofit an LSD in my car): Is there anything about an automatic transmission that would preclude LSD -- say Quaife or OS Giken? I note that the factory LSD was not available on automatic R53s.

Besides auto-x, LSD sounds ideal for icy/snowy conditions. (Says he who until recently owned an Audi Quattro.)

Old 01-17-2010, 06:32 AM
fred974
Neutral
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
If you want it, install it. Not too $$$ if you want the added traction. Great time to do a improved clutch too.

+ 1

Old 01-17-2010, 08:49 AM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
An LSD is the next and last major MOD for my MINI but it will have to wait till the clutch goes.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:56 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 314 Likes on 237 Posts
window pane?

blotter?

OZ?

Oh!!

Sorry - wrong topic.

Ps: I have 90k on a Quaife and no worries. A big difference in autocross performance, and on poor traction surfaces. Prior to the install it was a one wheel wonder!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM
HBPERRIN
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TimL
Theoretical question (since there's no way I can afford to retrofit an LSD in my car): Is there anything about an automatic transmission that would preclude LSD -- say Quaife or OS Giken? I note that the factory LSD was not available on automatic R53s.

Besides auto-x, LSD sounds ideal for icy/snowy conditions. (Says he who until recently owned an Audi Quattro.)

Strange I just had my transmission rebuilt in my auto and it had a stock LSD. 05 MCSa.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:29 PM
silvrcelt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by HBPERRIN
Strange I just had my transmission rebuilt in my auto and it had a stock LSD. 05 MCSa.

This looks like open-heart surgery . I'm hoping I never have to see this deeply into the guts of my MINI.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 PM
HBPERRIN
1st Gear
Originally Posted by silvrcelt
This looks like open-heart surgery . I'm hoping I never have to see this deeply into the guts of my MINI.
I hope you never have too either!! It sucks!!

I was told it was. I could be wrong.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HBPERRIN
I hope you never have too either!! It sucks!!

I was told it was. I could be wrong.
No, the LSD was never available with the auto transmission. And there's no chance that the factory accidentally put one in - the parts literally aren't compatible (which is probably why it was never offered with the auto tranny from the factory.)

Old 01-20-2010, 05:33 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
No, the LSD was never available with the auto transmission. And there's no chance that the factory accidentally put one in - the parts literally aren't compatible (which is probably why it was never offered with the auto tranny from the factory.)
... So no possibility to retrofit (Quaife/OS Giken), either?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
I think it is also a space issue....to make the auto fit, if I remember correctly, the entire engine in the auto is in a slightly different postion. That is why doing a pulley on a car with an auto is slight harder...less room to work. If I remember right it is about 1.5 inches to one side and slightly lower. Also the diff on an auto is incorporated into the transmission...not a seperate bolt on item....so short of having a custom transmission built, I think you are out of luck Tim.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:24 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
I think it is also a space issue....to make the auto fit, if I remember correctly, the entire engine in the auto is in a slightly different postion. That is why doing a pulley on a car with an auto is slight harder...less room to work. If I remember right it is about 1.5 inches to one side and slightly lower. Also the diff on an auto is incorporated into the transmission...not a seperate bolt on item....so short of having a custom transmission built, I think you are out of luck Tim.
Ah, well.... Considering the cost involved, I figured this was likely a pipe dream anyway.

I'll just hope LSD comes standard along with the DCT in the next gen.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TimL
Ah, well.... Considering the cost involved, I figured this was likely a pipe dream anyway.

I'll just hope LSD comes standard along with the DCT in the next gen.

On the r-56 the mechanical LSD is no longer an option. It was phased out, and is now done electronicaly. So it sounds like mini is kinda going less hardcore and is going with the cheaper and less effective computer generated LSD.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Ah, right.... I forgot about the electronic LSD on the 2nd gen MINIs.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
When my brother test drove my car, he could tell something was up with the traction, it was a lot better. We asked the dealer, and yep, LSD installed from the factory on my '05 S. I can't really tell because I haven't had enough experience with a car without an LSD....